“Pros & cons......”

Flamingo Beach Resort
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The 3 of us stayed here 5 days. Flamingo is very difficult to find but well worth the trouble. From airport go over bridge & make right at Hollywood Casino / Burger King sign. Follow main road past Buccaneer, Casino, & Red Piano. Couldn't ask for a better place to stay. Everyone we met, from resort staff to timeshare residents to fellow vacationers, was pleasant, cheerful & helpful. Our ground floor oceanview room was very clean & stocked with extra linens / towels.
AC worked well & a surprise housekeeping visit on Thursday was very welcome. Beach area was right outside our door & resort restaurant ,Topper's by the Sea, was a short stroll from our room. For those who don't want to dress up to dine, I recommend eating at the resort's restaurant. Food & service is very good. Pool area was located at the opposite end of the resort, but well worth the walk. Small gift shop around the corner. There's also two ladies who sell clothing on the beach. I found their prices comperable to those at any other part of the island. My sister bought beautiful dresses for her 6 grand-daughters & I bought one too. :-) They're cool & comfortable!!
Hollywood Casino, small grocery store, Red Piano, Bon Appetit, & Hideaway restaurants are within walking distance of Flamingo. Buccaneer & Greenhouse are 2min. drive. Rent a car if you want to explore the island. Roads on Dutch side need a lot of repairs. WATCH OUT FOR THOSE SPEED BUMPS!!! They tend to sneak up on you. Roads on French side are much better.
We truly enjoyed our stay here. We wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Rooms at pool area can be noisy with music & kids. Avoid rooms that face restaurant & vent...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Mary R
diamondresorts, Manager at Flamingo Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

We are pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and we are certain that the tips you have agreed to share here will be greatly appreciated by your fellow travellers and our potential future guests - thank you.
We hope to have another opportunity to give you a warm welcome back soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,288)

Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

The Flamingo Beach Resort is a very nice timeshare resort convenient to Maho Beach and several bars and restaurants. There is a fun casino across the street (Hollywood Casino) and some fun bars such as the Redhead Piano Bar. You can walk to restaurants and the grocery store, but I recommend a car to see the rest of the island.

The pool is very nice as is the beach. The restaurant wasn't very good, but the rooms have full kitchens so you can do plenty of self catering.

The front desk staff is very, very helpful. I had trouble getting in touch with Liat Caribbean Airlines and a front desk agent assisted me for 30 minutes! She was so very sweet and wonderful.

The hotel room was clean when we checked in, but they only came to clean once and really you need daily maid service in a beach location. If they would have offered it for an extra fee we would have paid for it.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank UpTwnMan
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I rented 2 ocean front studios for 6 nights. The rooms were in good shape. Nice linens and bedding. Everything was clean. Air conditioning worked well and reduced humidity in the room. Mid-trip housekeeping visit was just right.
The pool area was very pretty. It is an infinity pool and was clean. Beach areas were well maintained and picked up. The resort had beach staff to put out chairs as well as pick them up. Chairs and palapas were included in the resort fee.
Toppers by the Sea is the on-site restaurant. Fool was good and priced comparably to the rest of the island.
Peli Deli shop across from the one parking lost exit had good prices on food and snacks fopr the room.

Room Tip: The even number rooms are beach side. The odd number rooms overlook the parking areas. There are 2...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Quilter56
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I've been to many caribbean islands...If you've never been to the caribbean it's really like the ghetto in paradise so don't expect much of the towns and streets...I bothers some folks I COULD CARE LESS! Snorkeling, sun'in, swimming in the ocean every day...!
We usually go to the sleepier islands BUT I LOVED St. Maarten...Lots to do!! and MANY different beaches to go for the day...!!! The simpson bay area seems to be the best centrally located spot for me...There's absolutely nothing in Phillipsburg at night...nothing but one nice big hotel open at night...
Much better to rent a car, you only need a small one at $9.50 a gal.,oh cash only for gasoline, this way you can freely go to the french side or dutch side "which i highly recommend going to both sides..."
A Tip on the french side (takes 20mins to drive to) in Grand Case you can eat cheap $12 chicken and ribs at two places side by side called LoLo's (don't know their rest., names) towards the northern end of the strip...there at Calmos Cafe they have hot salsa band on thurs and Jazz trio on sundays...great!!! and nice small beach type restaurant informal or formal dress...great food $17-29.
I picked up a frommer's guide of st maarten/anguilla and st barts and read everything...Most restaurants take credit cards except the nice little informal places that i loved too besides the regular restaurants...(in simpson bay area)Lee's, pineapples pete's, the boathouse, the yacht club rest, skipjacks, greenhouse... and little place above bon petite's. One of the best meals i had was from the grand marche grocery store which was a stewed chicken in a brownish sauce with rice/peas and cabbage for $9!!!
I stayed at the Flamingo resort the first week, excellent condo, nice beach/pool in a little point called Pelican point and the second week at the Royal Palm resort also excellent by not quite as good beach but both places are affiliated with each other so you can go back and forth...the 3rd week was in an area called Point Blanche in a quaint villa on a mountain which was not quite the scale of the resorts but fine for me BUT near Phillipsburg so in nowhere's ville!!!! Now phillipsburg in the day is packed and everything is open with a nice boardwalk and very nice beach but nothing at night...!!! It's about a 16-20min drive if that to Simpson bay area...the good thing about a condo is breakfast in and pack a lunch and then dinner out or in....
Alot of the boat trips(snorkeling/lunch...) leave from simpson bay! ferry to St Barts and not sure about the ferry to Anguilla which i HIGHLY RECOMMEND BOTH if it's in your budget!
I highly recommend taking both a sailboat charter snokeling trip on either the Aboda thru Aqua Mania or bluebeard $85-95 with lunch, and taking a ferry to Anguilla for the day and St Barts for the day....Next time i'm going to stay 3 days in St Barts....There's the caribbean and then there's st barts...but you pay for it too, now remember it's a very sleepy island and all french no american credit cards and the most the businesses close from 1-3pm everyday and there's only two gas stations on the whole small island...
I went alot to the town of Maho near the airport after dinner where the Italian owned resort the Sonnesta is (actually this italian guy owes just about the whole little town plus the Casino Royale. Only 7mins from simpson bayJust a cool vibe on this main street with the nicest early bar 8pm-1am in the entire caribbean The Sky Beach which is a huge bar/lounge on top of the roof there in Maho set up like your at the beach with sand, luxury couches and chairs, fire torches, great sound system, cool music and no cover... I didn't go to any of the night club but they are just too late for me open at 11 but nobody's in them until 1am and i'm not interested in staying up all night and waste a beach day, plus $10-15 cover charge...
...and of course Sunset beach bar in Maho at the airport where the planes come very very close when landing and taking off is quite an experience...!!! I had a nice barbecue chicken late lunch for i think $12-14...
I met alot of people there from US, canada, holland, cech repub., france, whales, and there...!!! and Look forward to going back soon, very soon i hope....

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank ralphpacejr1
diamondresorts, Manager at Flamingo Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you for your sharing your thoughts and tips in regard to your stay here at Flamingo Beach Resort. Our guests and followers should really find the tips you provided about the island really helpful. We were very delighted to read that our accommodations, amenities, location, and staff exceeded your expectations and supported your recommendation of our resort, which we are really grateful to receive! Looking forward to being able to accommodate you again very soon!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

This was our second trip to the Flamingo and we returned because of a good first experience. We booked a 10 day trip through Orbitz and we paid extra for an ocen view room. On arrival we were informed that the resort was full but that they had an ocean view room as reserved. As soon as we got to the room it was clear that it was unacceptable. The Ocean view consisted of a view of a wall and the bar at Toppers Restaurant. We let the staff know that it was unacceptable and eventually we were shown a 3rd floor garden view room that appeared to be the only choice. We requested to see the manager or assistant manager.

For the next two days we asked daily to see the manager but nobody from management was available or contacted us. Frustrated I contacted Orbitz who put us in contact with a reservations manager for Diamond Resorts in Orlando who indicated that she would email the manager and assistant manager and that we should be hearing from them shortly. Once again nobody from management contacted us so I called Diamond Resorts the next day and was again promised that we would be contacted but we were not. Our request was simple-we wanted a refund for the difference between the ocean view room that we paid extra for and the garden view that we got.

Later that afternoon my wife was able to speak with the general manager who stated that he didn't have the ability to refund the difference and offered us a 7 day stay at some future date. I then contacted Orbitz and was connected with a manager who indicated that he would contact the Flamingo Resort manager directly. Within 15 minutes the Flamingo GM called us and stated that he had agreed with Orbitz to refund the $35/day difference. I doubt that this would have happened if Orbitz had not gtten involved. I now have a high opinion of Orbitz and not a very high opinion of Flamingo management.

The resort is fine but we spent very little time there. If you book don't go in with the expectation that you will get what you reserved. Flamingo management was unresponsive until Orbitz forced the issue. The refund was credited to our card before we left the island. I would hesitate to book directly with Flamingo as it seems there is no accountability without being forced to rectify a situation

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Craig W
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the Flamingo Beach hotel a few times over the past 5 years and have always been impressed by its location and standard of its rooms. My recent one night stay in early May again confirmed my views. The service can be somewhat inconsistent here but my recent experience was all gold. From the very helpful front desk staff to housekeeping staff in the corridor who quickly and without question assisted me with my luggage as I tried to hurry out in the morning, encumbered with baggage, to catch my flight.

And I must speak of the sweet suite with very comfortable bed and living furniture, complete with fill size refrigerator and kitchen appliances. In truth this resort is a timeshare and therefore has many of the trappings of home, but unlike at some other timeshares I have not personally experienced any pushy sales and marketing persons trying to get me to buy. The hotel is smack dab on the beach and nicely located in the popular resort area of Pelican Cay about10 min from the airport with the many restaurants and entertainment of Simpson Bay close at hand.

I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Kenn_P
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Flamingo: Day Visit – very friendly staff, you cant pass by anyone of them with being greeted. Toppers restaurant right on the resort, food is pretty good from burgers, sandwiches, salads to seafood pastas much more priced btwn $10-$30. They also have their own signature rums that you can taste test and then purchase your favorite, or get a combo. To do this, head over to the Pool Bar where you’ll be greeted by Jaime – AWESOME bartender! Very sweet, and attentive. If you’re there on a Sunday and you like Baileys, ask for the BBC! The activities crew was fun and charismatic as well <SHOUT OUT to Kevin and Tony!!!> They were there to make sure you had a great time whether it was shuffleboard, bingo, pool….anything!

This was my second trip to SXM. I decided to stay off resort/hotel this time (and just do day trips to the resort) but was still within walking distance of everything in Philipsburg. Beach, restaurants & shopping on Front St/Back St was a stone’s throw away. Note any reference to $$ is all USD.

I took a bus from Philipsburg to Maho and the Marigot, French side; super easy. All of the buses will have a sign in the front window saying which parts of the island they go to (Maho, Marigot, French Quarter, Philipsburg. You can still ask the driver to be sure, they are most courteous. If you’re not too familiar with where to get off, just ask the driver (I did this for the French side visit). On the Dutch side it seemed a ride in either direction was $2USD and $1.50USD to/from French side. Unlike here, the bus driver takes your money once you are ready to get off, so no need to bother fishing for change until then, just get on and enjoy the ride.

You won’t hear me say much about food: it was Carnival time so any food stall that was serving BBQ Chicken and Johnny cakes was good enough for me.

Cheris at Maho – cute little outdoor spot across from the Casino and Sonesta Maho. You get free WiFi & food is good but a tad overpriced ($26 for Coconut Chicken, Ceasar Salad, and 2 Heinekins)

Food truck on Pondfill right across from the Subway in Philipsburg – this place was still rocking out chicken and ribs after carnival so might still be there and price was not too bad (for $12: chicken/ribs, johnny cake & soda)

Shieka's Bistro on Back St was great – breakfast or lunch, good portions and fair prices (for $10: chicken, johnny cake, vegetables, plantain and a soda.)

Sarafina’s (French side, Marina) – amazing pastries/cakes/tarts, and different flavored macaroons again a tad overpriced but very yummy (for $20: 2 cakes, 3 macaroons and an iced coffee), patio feel with cushy couches to lounge on

Vida Cigar and Liquor Lounge on Front Street – I really didn’t wanna bother to go into town and look for cheaper liquor at a supermarket but this place has most everything you need AND they have a lounge in the back of the store where you can smoke your cigars. Prices are decent and much cheaper then what we pay here or even at duty free. Example: $46 got me a carton of Newports ($17), a bottle of Sint Maarten Vanilla rum and a little bottle of 85proof) You cant even get a carton of Newports for $46 at Duty Free, they are MUCH MORE!! Anyhow, ask for Chandan Martha, he will help you with anything & everything!

Sports Caribbean on Back Street – This is generally where I buy my Nikes. They have a decent selection and fair prices. I shopped around quite a bit and either the Nike selection wasn’t all great, the shop would not have my size, or they weren’t real. This place had what I wanted ($58 for Air Force Ones) and of course they’ll hook you up with a pair of socks as well cause why would you even dare bring a pair to this island?!? Here, ask for Nitin and if you’re on the island for a little while, ask when their next shipment will be in. You may just find something that you know would not be available back home.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank aj p
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Villas at Simpson Bay Beach Resort & Marina
#1 of 8 in Oyster Pond
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
1 mi away
Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!