“The Suite Life”

Flamingo Beach Resort
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the Flamingo Beach hotel a few times over the past 5 years and have always been impressed by its location and standard of its rooms. My recent one night stay in early May again confirmed my views. The service can be somewhat inconsistent here but my recent experience was all gold. From the very helpful front desk staff to housekeeping staff in the corridor who quickly and without question assisted me with my luggage as I tried to hurry out in the morning, encumbered with baggage, to catch my flight.

And I must speak of the sweet suite with very comfortable bed and living furniture, complete with fill size refrigerator and kitchen appliances. In truth this resort is a timeshare and therefore has many of the trappings of home, but unlike at some other timeshares I have not personally experienced any pushy sales and marketing persons trying to get me to buy. The hotel is smack dab on the beach and nicely located in the popular resort area of Pelican Cay about10 min from the airport with the many restaurants and entertainment of Simpson Bay close at hand.

I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Kenn_P
Write a ReviewReviews (1,287)

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Flamingo: Day Visit – very friendly staff, you cant pass by anyone of them with being greeted. Toppers restaurant right on the resort, food is pretty good from burgers, sandwiches, salads to seafood pastas much more priced btwn $10-$30. They also have their own signature rums that you can taste test and then purchase your favorite, or get a combo. To do this, head over to the Pool Bar where you’ll be greeted by Jaime – AWESOME bartender! Very sweet, and attentive. If you’re there on a Sunday and you like Baileys, ask for the BBC! The activities crew was fun and charismatic as well <SHOUT OUT to Kevin and Tony!!!> They were there to make sure you had a great time whether it was shuffleboard, bingo, pool….anything!

This was my second trip to SXM. I decided to stay off resort/hotel this time (and just do day trips to the resort) but was still within walking distance of everything in Philipsburg. Beach, restaurants & shopping on Front St/Back St was a stone’s throw away. Note any reference to $$ is all USD.

I took a bus from Philipsburg to Maho and the Marigot, French side; super easy. All of the buses will have a sign in the front window saying which parts of the island they go to (Maho, Marigot, French Quarter, Philipsburg. You can still ask the driver to be sure, they are most courteous. If you’re not too familiar with where to get off, just ask the driver (I did this for the French side visit). On the Dutch side it seemed a ride in either direction was $2USD and $1.50USD to/from French side. Unlike here, the bus driver takes your money once you are ready to get off, so no need to bother fishing for change until then, just get on and enjoy the ride.

You won’t hear me say much about food: it was Carnival time so any food stall that was serving BBQ Chicken and Johnny cakes was good enough for me.

Cheris at Maho – cute little outdoor spot across from the Casino and Sonesta Maho. You get free WiFi & food is good but a tad overpriced ($26 for Coconut Chicken, Ceasar Salad, and 2 Heinekins)

Food truck on Pondfill right across from the Subway in Philipsburg – this place was still rocking out chicken and ribs after carnival so might still be there and price was not too bad (for $12: chicken/ribs, johnny cake & soda)

Shieka's Bistro on Back St was great – breakfast or lunch, good portions and fair prices (for $10: chicken, johnny cake, vegetables, plantain and a soda.)

Sarafina’s (French side, Marina) – amazing pastries/cakes/tarts, and different flavored macaroons again a tad overpriced but very yummy (for $20: 2 cakes, 3 macaroons and an iced coffee), patio feel with cushy couches to lounge on

Vida Cigar and Liquor Lounge on Front Street – I really didn’t wanna bother to go into town and look for cheaper liquor at a supermarket but this place has most everything you need AND they have a lounge in the back of the store where you can smoke your cigars. Prices are decent and much cheaper then what we pay here or even at duty free. Example: $46 got me a carton of Newports ($17), a bottle of Sint Maarten Vanilla rum and a little bottle of 85proof) You cant even get a carton of Newports for $46 at Duty Free, they are MUCH MORE!! Anyhow, ask for Chandan Martha, he will help you with anything & everything!

Sports Caribbean on Back Street – This is generally where I buy my Nikes. They have a decent selection and fair prices. I shopped around quite a bit and either the Nike selection wasn’t all great, the shop would not have my size, or they weren’t real. This place had what I wanted ($58 for Air Force Ones) and of course they’ll hook you up with a pair of socks as well cause why would you even dare bring a pair to this island?!? Here, ask for Nitin and if you’re on the island for a little while, ask when their next shipment will be in. You may just find something that you know would not be available back home.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank aj p
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Resort is actually on Simpson Bay, not Phillipsburg.

We never got to check in. When we arrived we were told they don't guarantee rooms in any location. We reserved a pool or ocean view on an upper floor on 2/18 and verified that on 4/30 before we left home. However, when we arrived, they stated they didn't guarantee rooms and they only had a room available on the hill overlooking the parking lot. The manager was very incompetent, the employees behind the counter could not help, the lobby was small and they basically wanted to force us to take that room. In all our travels we had never been treated this poorly, ever. Diamond Resorts needs to get this location on par to the rest of their facilities. I would never recommend this company.

5  Thank gneher
diamondresorts, Manager at Flamingo Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

We were truly sorry to read that our accommodations did not meet your expectations. It is always our goal for each of our guests who stay with us to deliver exceptional hospitality, provide premium services, and offer quality accommodations. Please be aware that we do not guarantee requests for a room with a specific view type, and that our reservations also state we do not guarantee a specific view with their accommodations. That being said, we do accept requests for a specific view type. All rental reservations, regardless of how they are booked, specifically state the following, “View of Pool, Caribbean Sea, or parking lot. (Sea view not guaranteed.)” Additionally, reservation confirmations state, “*Please note: Preferences and requests cannot be guaranteed.” Our front desk staff does offer our guests, who were assigned a room without their requested view type, the ability to relocate to an accommodation with a pool or ocean view, should such accommodations become available later on during the their stay. It is with deep regret to read that not being assigned a guestroom with an ocean or pool view room negatively affected your decision to stay here. If you are willing to give us another chance, we are extremely confident that your next stay will be much more enjoyable and even exceed your expectations.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

This place was very nice and clean. Had some weird smells walking around outside but that could be anything. Staff was very friendly and not pushy about the timeshare thing. Excellent beach and pool. The restaurant, Topper's, was your average Applebee's type place. Nothing extraordinary but fine when you are hungry. the bars have good frozen drink specials daily and 2 for the price of 1 mixers and beer during happy hour everyday!

Room Tip: second level has a more private patio/balcony
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 17, 2013

The accommodations were amazing. Great view, comfortable bed [I usually miss my Tempur-Pedic's mattress in two day with horrible back pain, but I never slept better!], wonderfully stocked kitchen with cookware and utensils. Great shower and towels [very important to me!], and all the comforts of home. Two flatscreen TVs and a nice size balcony. The staff was very helpful and maids cleaned the room and changed the linens and towels after 3 days... a total surprise to come back from a day at the beach to spotless place! Was within walking distance of some great restaurants and a store where you could buy your basic food supplies. We rented a car and did most of our grocery shopping at a store a couple blocks away that we could have walked to.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor and the view was amazing!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I lived in St. Maarten for 2 years, as did my wife before we were married (we met there). We went back to celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary. We aimed for a decent place in a decent location, and knowing the island well, we wanted to stay on the dutch side in close proximity to Simpson Bay or Maho. I really didn't care much about the room, and wanted to save money as I knew we'd be at the beach all day anyway. I must say we were both pleasantly surprised with how much we enjoyed the Flamingo.

The rooms are time share style, so you get a full kitchen and living area as well as pull out sofa. We paid for the ocean front room and it was definitely worth it! The service is outstanding! We already knew the locals in St. Maarten were great, but the employees at this resort are above and beyond what we're used to. Every employee you meet stops and asks if you need anything. One time, an employee happened to be walking in front of my wife and I and overheard heard us discussing something to ask the front desk. He immediately stopped, turned around, and said "Did I hear you say front desk? Is there something I can help you with'? That's the kind of vibe we got the whole time. The location is great, near lots of restaurants, bars and dive shops.

The beach itself is pretty good (that's by St. Maarten standards. By standards of most places, it's down right spectacular!), and better than I expected. There are no topless sunbathers allowed on it, unlike the other beaches on the island, so it may be more suitable for families who want to avoid that. The snorkeling is actually pretty good on the hotel beach too, I even saw two large squid one early evening, which I hardly ever see, and I'm a diver. Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised and would absolutely go back!

Room Tip: I asked for a high level. I got a room on the 5th floor, facing the ocean. It was $200 total more th...
1  Thank ijano
diamondresorts, Manager at Flamingo Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thank you very much for your review – we’re delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Flamingo Beach Resort, and we feel sure that other guests will appreciate your advice and recommendations. We strive to provide an excellent standard of service to our guests, and we’re glad to read that our team were able to provide you with all the help and assistance you needed during your stay.

We’re really pleased that you’d like to return here, and we hope we’ll see you again!

Reviewed May 11, 2013

The hotel was very clean and comfortable. The view from our room (7230) was wonderful. We had a great view of the harbor and could see the cruise ships heading in and out of phillipsburg each day. There were plenty of supplies in the room, several stores nearby for groceries, and nice washers and dryers in the garage below. We cooked breakfast and some evening meals. We used the city buses for going to town and taxis when we needed. We will be back and highly recommend this hotel. The staff was great, as were the guests we met throughout the week. Highly recommend!!

Room Tip: Building 7 but try to get 3rd floor. We were right above Toppers and heard the cooking vent all day...
1  Thank Lisa B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Villas at Simpson Bay Beach Resort & Marina
Princess Heights Hotel
Princess Heights Hotel
#1 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!