Flamingo: Day Visit – very friendly staff, you cant pass by anyone of them with being greeted. Toppers restaurant right on the resort, food is pretty good from burgers, sandwiches, salads to seafood pastas much more priced btwn $10-$30. They also have their own signature rums that you can taste test and then purchase your favorite, or get a combo. To do this, head over to the Pool Bar where you’ll be greeted by Jaime – AWESOME bartender! Very sweet, and attentive. If you’re there on a Sunday and you like Baileys, ask for the BBC! The activities crew was fun and charismatic as well <SHOUT OUT to Kevin and Tony!!!> They were there to make sure you had a great time whether it was shuffleboard, bingo, pool….anything!
This was my second trip to SXM. I decided to stay off resort/hotel this time (and just do day trips to the resort) but was still within walking distance of everything in Philipsburg. Beach, restaurants & shopping on Front St/Back St was a stone’s throw away. Note any reference to $$ is all USD.
I took a bus from Philipsburg to Maho and the Marigot, French side; super easy. All of the buses will have a sign in the front window saying which parts of the island they go to (Maho, Marigot, French Quarter, Philipsburg. You can still ask the driver to be sure, they are most courteous. If you’re not too familiar with where to get off, just ask the driver (I did this for the French side visit). On the Dutch side it seemed a ride in either direction was $2USD and $1.50USD to/from French side. Unlike here, the bus driver takes your money once you are ready to get off, so no need to bother fishing for change until then, just get on and enjoy the ride.
You won’t hear me say much about food: it was Carnival time so any food stall that was serving BBQ Chicken and Johnny cakes was good enough for me.
Cheris at Maho – cute little outdoor spot across from the Casino and Sonesta Maho. You get free WiFi & food is good but a tad overpriced ($26 for Coconut Chicken, Ceasar Salad, and 2 Heinekins)
Food truck on Pondfill right across from the Subway in Philipsburg – this place was still rocking out chicken and ribs after carnival so might still be there and price was not too bad (for $12: chicken/ribs, johnny cake & soda)
Shieka's Bistro on Back St was great – breakfast or lunch, good portions and fair prices (for $10: chicken, johnny cake, vegetables, plantain and a soda.)
Sarafina’s (French side, Marina) – amazing pastries/cakes/tarts, and different flavored macaroons again a tad overpriced but very yummy (for $20: 2 cakes, 3 macaroons and an iced coffee), patio feel with cushy couches to lounge on
Vida Cigar and Liquor Lounge on Front Street – I really didn’t wanna bother to go into town and look for cheaper liquor at a supermarket but this place has most everything you need AND they have a lounge in the back of the store where you can smoke your cigars. Prices are decent and much cheaper then what we pay here or even at duty free. Example: $46 got me a carton of Newports ($17), a bottle of Sint Maarten Vanilla rum and a little bottle of 85proof) You cant even get a carton of Newports for $46 at Duty Free, they are MUCH MORE!! Anyhow, ask for Chandan Martha, he will help you with anything & everything!
Sports Caribbean on Back Street – This is generally where I buy my Nikes. They have a decent selection and fair prices. I shopped around quite a bit and either the Nike selection wasn’t all great, the shop would not have my size, or they weren’t real. This place had what I wanted ($58 for Air Force Ones) and of course they’ll hook you up with a pair of socks as well cause why would you even dare bring a pair to this island?!? Here, ask for Nitin and if you’re on the island for a little while, ask when their next shipment will be in. You may just find something that you know would not be available back home.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beautiful white sand, sparkling blue waters, sunny skies - where else can you find all of this but in Saint Martin/Saint Maarten in the Caribbean? When you stay at Flamingo Beach Resort, you will have all of this, and more. Here you can have the most relaxing vacation of your life, or enjoy some of the many outdoor adventures in the area. If you love water sports, you can go windsurfing, swimming and snorkeling. See the scenery on horseback, or go for a hike along the many trails. You will never be bored while you are staying here, unless of course you simply want to sit back and do nothing, which you are more than welcome to do. Just imagine spending a week or longer just lying around on the beautiful beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TravelUp, West Indies, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Flamingo Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Flamingo Beach Hotel Philipsburg
- Flamingo Beach Resort St. Maarten-St. Martin/Philipsburg
- Hotel Flamingo Beach
- Sunterra Flamingo Beach Resort