“Flamingo Beach Resort St. Martin”

Flamingo Beach Resort
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Excellent family resort! Based on time-share layout plan etc. lots of room for families! We are a family of 5 with two of our kids being all but grown-up. We rented two suites for four days this past Christmas and were very happy with this property. Close to the heart of the Dutch Side downtown area, nice beach, great beach-front bars / burger shacks etc... Friendly and accommodating staff to!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,290)

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have been travelling to St. Maarten for 5 previous vacations.. I have stayed all over the island, both French and Dutch. I booked this week vacation thru Vacationsonly.com.. I was a little skeptical as I never used them before but everything was great.. I thought I was getting a studio unit and wasn't really planning on a waterview room. Upon arrival at 2pm, front desk employees were excellent and extremely helpful. Stated we could check in right away and our room was ready. In fact it was an ocean front room and it was a 1 bed room not studio..

I read alot of other people's reviews for this property and was expecting alot worse.. I think alot of people have an idea in their head that a property looks exactly like the photos do online.. And when the property falls short, people get upset and think they got screwed.. This is a great property.. Sure some thing can be changed, but worth getting stressed about, no way.. Didnt notice the holls in curtains, doors that leak, leaky faucets or toilets.... But yes it happens everywhere.. No my unit was not perfect, but if you want perfect go the the 5 star places, but expect to pay 5 star prices..

I will rank this property in my Top 2 places to stay in St. Maarten. The other property I love is Divi Little Bay Resort.. But the Flamingo has it all.. Close to everything to do, 5 min from the airport, 5 min from Maho and Sunset Beach (Gotta spend the Sat/Sun watching the planes from the Beach). Its an easy drive into downtown Phillipsburg to get your diamonds, jewerly, duty free liquor or stupid cheap cigarrettes ($17/Carton was the cheapest for Marlboro Lights). Maybe a 30 min drive to Orient Bay (clothing optional beach and lots of beach activities)

The resort has a great beach, both sides on the resort. The pool was great, too many kids, but again not a big complaint.. Lots of beach and pool chairs, never not available. All of the staff was fabulous and went out of their way to make sure you are comfortable.

I am already looking forward to booking another trip back..

Room Tip: Adding a tip at the front desk for an upgrade is always helpful!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Bigmatt155
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed at the Flamingo Beach Resort March 2 - 9th. The day of departure I started itching from bed bug bites. This bed bug bite infestation spread all over my upper torso, needless to say, I was miserable. I received a doctors report which verified I had bed bug bites and took numerous pictures. We contacted Flamingo Beach resort and gave them the doctor's report and pictures. They are in denial and tried to say we brought the bed bugs in our luggage. I had an exterminator check our house, luggage, clothes, etc and thankfully didn't bring them back with us. The exterminator said there were no bed bugs and never have been in the house. The Flamingo Beach resort won't work with us and blame tourists for bringing bed bugs to St Maarten. Not worth all the money spent to suffer with a bed bug infestation.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Swish57
Reviewed March 29, 2013

The Wife and I just got back from a week at Flamingo and we would, without a doubt go back again. It is a timeshare so there are owners who are baqck every year, but they in no way put the standard guest in the back seat.
A few concerns I had after reading the reviews here were put to rest within a few hours of our arriving. People have complained that there were numerous mistakes at check in. Not in our case. Couldn't have been easier. We were in our room within 5 minutes of arrival. Others complained that there were issues in there rooms that they could not get addressed. We found that the closet door was broken and did not slide correctly. We called and asked to have it fixed while we went to the beach. Upon our return it was all fixed. I called down to tell them we didn't have a toaster (well we did I just didn't look hard enough) and one was there within 5 minutes.
The view: We did not have an oceanfront view and yes we were looking at parking lot with a dumpter in it. i was upset at first and then i remembered something. i was looking at a parking lot with a dumpster, IN THE CARRIBEAN. I got over it. Leaving snow and arriving in this beautiful island will do that to you.
Topppers: Staff was helpful, friendly, and while many wait staffs down here work on "Island Time" they did not. That being said it was a pretty pricey for the food that you get. Especially when you consider that there are som incredible restaraunts in easy walking distance with the same fare for about 60% of the price.
Location: You will not beat it for the price. 2 beaches, great pool, and a bunch of very nice restaraunts in walking distance. And i am lazy so when I say walking distance, I mean walking distance.
All in All a great place to stay on a great island

5  Thank Kevin K
diamondresorts, Manager at Flamingo Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Thank you so much for the lovely review you have shared with our future guests! We are pleased to have contributed to you having a relaxing and enjoyable stay. We are sorry to read about your initial disappointment with the view offered from your apartment; we would like to assure you that we would love to be able to offer all our guest rooms with the best views at all times, however this is regretfully not always possible for practical reasons. We are relieved to read this has not proved to be too much of an inconvenience for you, though. We do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We have been coming to this resort for the last 12 years it is in a great location . With in walking distance to the red piano ( a popular night spot) grocery store, the Stone Restraunt which has a great menu and great view. the rooms have been up dated with new kitchens and new beds . Good beach and lots of shade provided the pool is also very nice.

3  Thank 68,410
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is a timeshare resort on the Dutch side. Overall we enjoyed our stay. I'm a "Expect the worst, hope for the best" kind of guy so I never go into a hotel with high expectations. It was an average quality timeshare resort in an awesome location/climate. Not a party crowd, very relaxing even for Spring Break. Room Maintenance was below average but rooms were clean. We were guests of Diamond Resorts timeshare owners that used their points to stay at this resort. During the week we stayed in two different buildings (3 and 7). We knew ahead of time that we would have to move during the week so it wasn't a big deal and they gave us a room with a better view (bldg 7). Bldg 3 is a walk up a fairly steep hill and you may get a nice view of water (B side units) or parking lot (A side units). We had both A and B side so we used the porch with the nice view. I would not have been satisfied with just a parking lot view. The building# 3 rooms did have washers and dryers while bldg #7 did not. We like to pack light and do a few loads during the week so this might be a consideration for all the "carry on" folks who don't check bags. The thing I liked the best about this resort was the variety of restaurants within walking distance. It felt safe to walk in the resort area at night, although we were in by 10pm most evenings. This island is beautiful but other than the resort areas I don't recommend walking around late at night. (same rules apply in many parts of the good ol USA.). If you don't like walking on inclines and uneven surfaces, I would not stay in the Pelican Key/Simpson Bay Area (sidewalks are scarce)There were plenty of seniors staying there so they must be in good health. Dining and groceries were more expensive (of course, its an island!) but we prepared breakfast and lunch in the rooms and went out for dinner. We did enjoy the fresh pastries at Bon Appetit several mornings (on premises). The foodies will say that you have to go to the French side to get a good meal but we had pretty good luck in this neighborhood. Beaches are small and not the best for swimming but there were plenty of folks having fun in the water. You are there to sit on the beach and watch the sailboats and billionaires' yachts go by, anyway. We did not rent a car, just took taxis to P'burg and a half day trip around the island with Ritchie who works at the resort (he's a great guy).

Room Tip: You probably won't get to choose but if you do, ask for a room in Building 7 (second floor or hi...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank WardCleaver
diamondresorts, Manager at Flamingo Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. We have noted your comments and would like to say that we are in the process of refurbishing the resort to ensure that our guests continue to receive the high standards that are expected from Diamond. This will inevitably result in certain areas appearing a little less modern or well appointed compared to others. We would like to assure you that we are working towards bringing all accommodations to the same high standard. We would like to also note that regretfully, although we always try to fulfil all our guests requests and provide them with the best accommodation and the best view, due to availability limitations this may not always be possible. We trust, however, that you had an overall pleasant stay and we hope to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Just returned from one week stay at Flamingo Resort in St Maarten. Very nice accommodations, even though our room was above the parking lot (you get what you pay for). Check in was quick and friendly. The resort is located on the beach, but also on a hill, which made for some tiring walks up & down the streets. The resort had a nice pool bar with 2 for 1 daily. A restaurant right on the premises was nice. The week we were there, the waves pounded the shore, making the beaches pretty much unswimable. The pool was fine, but the water was a little too cold for me. The rooms, I think, all have kitchens with complete silverware & dishes. The beds were typical resort, a little bumpy & stiff, and the pillows were way too fluffy for me. The weather was GREAT, but party cloudy everyday. The time goes by fast here, constantly trying to figure out where to eat and such. You get confortable, then you have to leave to go eat.
We rented a car for 3 days, which turned out to be a good idea, it got us away from the resort to try some diners a little further away from the resort. Having transportation to the airport also was a good idea (via the car rental).
Downtown Philpsburg was beautiful. The streets are lined with stores & the main street runs along a very nice stretch of beach filled with restuarants & bars. This is where the younger folks seemed to hang out.
We took a tour & drove up & around the 'french' side of the island, but except for the beautiful beaches, that part of the island appeared pretty run down.
All in all, a great time, but one week is not enough, just started feeling comfy & we had to leave for snowy home sweet home.

1  Thank Koz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Villas at Simpson Bay Beach Resort & Marina
#1 of 8 in Oyster Pond
1 mi away
Mary's Boon Beach Hotel and Spa
Mercure Saint-Martin Marina & Spa

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort? Share your experiences!