We visited Flamingo Beach in January 2013, booking two rooms there. As others have commented, the "B" units are much nicer than the "A" units. We had one of each and the "A" unit was a hike up the hill with absolutely no view of the water. The "B" unit was beachfront and lovely. So if you are picky about your room, make sure that you get a bigger/nicer unit.
The front desk staff were very helpful, friendly, and accommodating. We had to make some changes in the location of one of the rooms because of mobility issues with one person in our group, and the staff couldn't have been nicer about it. I would give them 5 stars.
The grounds are well maintained, the pool is nice (if a little chilly), and the beach is small but very nice.
One big plus for Flamingo Beach is the location. Because it is off the main road, it was quieter than some of the other resorts. But if you didn't want to rent a car, you would be fine staying there because there are so many restaurants within walking distance. The Peli Deli is not far if you want a few groceries and there is even a casino close by. Of course, you have to like walking up & down hills, but for us it was just a way of getting some exercise.
The pool side bar was friendly (thanks, Helga and Jamie!) -- just wish they had more seats.
Here is what could have made this a 5 star visit:
1. The "A" unit was not as clean as it should have been, especially the floor, which was sandy when we checked in. And the whole unit just felt like it needed a really good cleaning, particularly the bathroom and the sliding glass doors (which were smudgy with finger prints).
2. Toppers Restaurant, which is on the premises, was a very mixed bag. On our first visit, the staff was friendly and the food was good. On a later visit, the barbeque buffet lunch was just so-so and the manager was rude to other customers, arguing with them over the hours for the buffet.
3. Despite signs warning guests not to "reserve" lounge chairs around the pool and at the beach or their belongings would be removed, this was not enforced. There were guests who put out their beach towels first thing in the morning just to save the best spots and then never appeared again for hours. If you aren't going to enforce the rule, why post it?
4. One day that we were there, the resort put out small bottles of water and cookies in the front desk area. This was a treat and it would have been nice if that had been done more often.
We will definitely be making a second visit to Flamingo Beach Resort, but only if we can get a B unit in a good location. And next time we will take advantage of the pool aerobics and other activities that the resort offers.
One other point -- another reviewer commented on all of the older people at the resort. This was not our experience. There were people of all ages, and lots of children. So don't hesitate to take the family there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beautiful white sand, sparkling blue waters, sunny skies - where else can you find all of this but in Saint Martin/Saint Maarten in the Caribbean? When you stay at Flamingo Beach Resort, you will have all of this, and more. Here you can have the most relaxing vacation of your life, or enjoy some of the many outdoor adventures in the area. If you love water sports, you can go windsurfing, swimming and snorkeling. See the scenery on horseback, or go for a hike along the many trails. You will never be bored while you are staying here, unless of course you simply want to sit back and do nothing, which you are more than welcome to do. Just imagine spending a week or longer just lying around on the beautiful beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, West Indies, Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TravelUp, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Flamingo Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Flamingo Beach Hotel Philipsburg
- Flamingo Beach Resort St. Maarten-St. Martin/Philipsburg
- Hotel Flamingo Beach
- Sunterra Flamingo Beach Resort