“Guana Bay Beach Villas - A BUST !”

Guana Bay Beach Villas
Reviewed September 2, 2009

August 8-22, 2009.

Don't do it to youself or your family. The villas are clean and remodeled inside, the pool is small , cleaned and upkept on a daily basis however, the resort grounds are horrible with dogs roaming around,infested with MOSQUITOS, no lights on the grounds or pathway to the villas forcing my family to purchase flashlights to allow for safe passage to and from the villas during the evening hours. Yes, there were occasional cockroaches ( I purchased a can of RAID) coming in from under the front door and the cable was inoperable for more than two of the 14 days we were there. The roads to the villas were HORRIBLE unpaved, bumpy and very dark. The villas are located up steep hills and off the beaten path from everything including the grocery store. There is NO front desk, no one to help with bags or groceries just a family living in one of the villas servicing the others. There was maid service only two days per week but the family was ammenable to your requests for additional towels or household items. There is an additional utilities charge of $120 per week, (a cost we were not made aware of before our arrival) and they do not take AMEX.

I was truly disappointed in the villas but made the best of it for our family vacation. We slept and ate there ONLY and found ourselves staying away from the villas at Guana Bay for most of our vacation. It was NOTHING like the pictures which are displayed on the website. Vacationers BEWARE. I have travelled to St Marteen for 10 years and this is teh first time I WAS READY TO LEAVE THE FIRST DAY I GOT THERE. If you like roughing it or young at heart(Spring Break) and any thing goes then this might be the place for you. Is it liveable? yes, beds, running water (sprinkling shower) and flushing toilets. But don't you want more for your vacation.

Thanks

Ed and Carol M.

4  Thank CAM1224
There are newer reviews for Guana Bay Beach Villas

Reviewed December 29, 2007

This place was a piece of paradise! We stayed in a two bedroom and our deck had an amazing view. The beach was beautiful and you pretty much had it all to yourself. The villa was cute and had air conditioning, a pool, BBQ, cable, internet, everything you would need! It is located in a quiete area. I was so sad to leave.
Highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed: February 2004, traveled with family
5  Thank snu70
Reviewed October 3, 2007

I stayed in a 2 bedroom villa at the Guana Bay Beach Villas in Feb/07. This was my first trip to the Carribean.

The villa was spotless, furnishing's bright, clean. We had a balcony that looks out over the ocean which was beautiful.

The Beach was clean, and great for lying around or walking in but the water is too rough for swimming on most days (and I am a strong swimmer) Still absolutly beautiful and great if you are looking for a quiet spot.
The crowd is small and was generally those between 35 and 60 with a few children.
The pool is small but nice and clean.

They have a barbecue once a week for a small fee with chicken, ribs and salad. Simple and yummy.

The managment is friendly and helpful but hard to find at times.

This is a very isolated spot but that is part of it's charm. Besides, you will have a rental car if you are staying here and it's just a short ride into town and shopping (which is amazing) not to mention night clubs etc...

My only real complaint is the managers Dog. I am a huge animal lover but this little guy wanders around (along with other dogs) and he is aggressive. I was walking up to the managers villa to buy a calling card and the little dog ran up to me and bit my leg. Luckily he did not tear through my pants but he left quite a bruise. I would encourage anyone to ask that he be tied up, especially if you have children.

**This is an ideal spot for those who are craving some solitude or are wanting a romantic getaway.

I would definately go to St. Martin again in a second, it's beautiful no matter where you stay, I might even second the villas.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled with friends
7  Thank shetravelz
Reviewed March 20, 2007

Great honeymoon spot beside the ocean away from all the other tourist spots. Nice beach although not always great for swimming but nice pool as well. Beautiful 2 bedroom, 2 storey villa. Very quiet and relaxing and as the island is so small, we rented a car and got to see the whole country in an hour. Our toughest decision each day was which beach to head to but it was always nice to come back to the villa. Wouldn't want to stay anywhere else on the island. Very friendly staff (the Friendly Island after all), when we mentioned our toaster was broken, there was a replacement when we got back from the beach that very day. Overall a great place to stay and will visit again with friends.

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MapleLuna
Reviewed September 20, 2006

Great place, great location. Peace and quite. No one bothers you at all. We stayed 7 nights and I believe that the maid came every other day to change sheets and towels, take trash out, etc. Our paths only crossed a couple of times. She was in and out.

You need a car when you stay here. Villa is a bit off the main road and about 30 min drive from the airport ..... if you don't make any wrong turns. Try and arrive during daylight hours! When you are first trying to find this place you will likely make some wrong turns. By the time you leave, you will know the area around Guana Bay like the back of your hand. So rent a car. We used Alamo for 212 USD. It would have been 106 USD, but we opted for insurance. From the airport, your rental car agency will shuttle you to the main office where you will pick-up your car.

We were in the villa right above the manager's office / residence, unit 8B. Although there is parking available, it was not convenient, as we had to haul groceries, bech supplies, etc. Plus my wife and I had our 3 1/2 yr old son and my Mom who is 66 yrs. So we just pulled up right at the foot of the steps leading to our villa. The 2 dogs that belong to the manager (Max) were normally there to greet us. The little one is Ginger and the bigger one is Bobbie. Bobbie looks to be getting old and probably won't be around too much longer. Bobbie liked to lay down at the foot of our door and was often there when we arrived home or went to leave in the morning. Both are good dogs and did not bother us. If you are not a lover of dogs, you probably want a different villa.

Guana Bay Beach is nice. A bit rough, but very nice and secluded. The dogs like to go to the beach too. We hung out at Guana Bay Beach on the first and last day of our stay. Bring a beach bag, cooler with drinks and snacks and you will be set. It's just a short walk to and from the villa.

The pool area was ok too. Not great by any means, just ok. Everything was clean, but it was just old. Looked like it needed a new make over. New plaster, tile, etc. But who is there to use the pool anyway? We prefered the beaches.

The villa was very nice and clean. Had a sliding door leading to our balcony with table, 4 chairs and 2 loungers. Nice view of ocean, Guana Bay Beach, St Barth's island, etc.

The Kitchen was well equipped. Microvave, stove, toaster, coffee maker, but NO dishwasher, or oven. We cooked there quite often. Best place I found to buy groceries was Sangs. Take a left when you get to the main road which leads into town, towards the Shell gas station. Pass the Shell, head thru the round-about and keep going. Soon you will see Sangs on your left. It is a "real" store with everything you will need and great prices. Not one of the many hole in the wall supermarkets you will see. Steaks, shrimp, fish .... all adequately priced. Credit cards are taken there. The only place we encountered that would not take credit cards was the Shell gas station I mentioned earlier. Not a big deal. Beer is cheap too. They had Coors Light. We found Marlboro Lights 12 USD per carton, not at Sangs, but some other little grocery store I cannot remember the name of.

The Villa had 2 bedrooms. One upstairs with 2 single beds and the master downstairs with one double bed, TV, clock radio, armoir, in-room safe and master bathroom. There is another bathroom downstairs at the foot of the stairs. Both of the bathrooms are equipped with a shower ..... no tub.

Livingroom has couch, a couple chairs, coffee table, tv, dvd player, radio. There is cable tv there too.

A/C works fine. One unit is in master bedroom, one in upstairs bedroom and one in main living area.

We rented thru our vacation club and paid our standard rate. However, you will be charged an addition 50 USD for electricity.

Overall, I would recommend this place and we will go back.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
7  Thank bschlee
Reviewed December 15, 2005

My husband and I and a co-worker of my husband's and his wife rented a villa here for a week. The restaurant they said was onsite was closed due to the manager being on vacation. The surf was rough and no one was around but the beach was very private and nice. It rained the first 3 days. You need a car to get into town because the villa is so far out in an isolated area. The view was beautiful and the villa was more than I expected however. The place was spotless and our deck has the most beautiful view. The pool was average but no one was around during the day so we had it to ourselves. On the 4th day, our rental car was stolen from the parking lot right in front of our villa. We called the police and they came 3 hours later. They consider it petty crime and weren't too concerned. We got a ride to the police station from the manager of the villa who was as nice as could be (Max) and the stolen car had already been found stripped back at budget rental car where we rented it. We're thinking it was a scam because the rental car place hit the credit card for $5,000 even though it was reported stolen. We got another car and when we returned it, the original car was already put back together very conveniently and ready to be rented again! In all, the place was beautiful but due to so many unfortunate circumstances, the vacation was a nightmare. Did I mention our luggage was lost in San Juan and we didn't get it until the 2nd day!!!

• Stayed: November 2005
16  Thank NRegan
Reviewed August 1, 2005

Two girlfriends and I decided to celebrate our 37th Nursing School Graduation ...so we rebonded in St. Maarten...The Villas were a perfect place to stay..breakfast overlooking Guana Bay and the sunrise...the weather perfect, the food sublime, even came back with some money in our pockets from the casinos and some bling-bling...Definitely the perfect setting for a reunion...

• Stayed: June 2005
9  Thank Collinca
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
#1 of 12 in Philipsburg
Grand Case Beach Club
Grand Case Beach Club
#3 of 8 in Grand Case

Been to Guana Bay Beach Villas? Share your experiences!