“An Excellent Value” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sea View Beach Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Sea View Beach Hotel
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
New York City
“An Excellent Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

This is a convenient hotel, located in town. Anyone expecting a beach resort will be disappointed. That said, the rooms were very clean and the staff was polite and helpful. The room rate was excellent, the room comfortable. There are no amenities like shampoo or hair dryers, so be warned.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank pjsubway

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

I stayed two nights April 24-26. I booked a sea view room and the ocean was visible out of the door/window at an angle - it was not directly overlooking the water. (However some rooms did directly overlook the water.)

The room was adequate and met expectations for a budget room. The air conditioner was very quiet and had a remote control with a temperature setting. My main complaint is that the bathroom mirror was not over the sink but instead was over an adjacent wall next to the toilet. Of course other rooms could differ.

When I arrived the regular front desk person was away and the desk was attended by a rather creepy guy who was minimally communicative. Of course I did not know he was temporarily covering the front desk, and it was not a good first impression. But after about 5-10 minutes the regular person returned.

Wifi was available only in the lobby. The hotel seemed to have guests mostly from the Caribbean (as opposed to Americans or Europeans), but that could have been due to Carnival in progress during my visit.

I booked the Sea View hotel so I could walk to the St Barths ferry, and the hotel is a short 5-10 minute walk to the terminal. The hotel is also well-positioned along the boardwalk, which was deserted when I was there but apparently becomes packed when the cruise ships are in port.

As for driving, there is no parking nearby and Front Street is very narrow with one lane, one way. The area around central Phillipsburg appears to be a difficult traffic situation at many times. So this is probably not a good place to stay if you have a rental car to park.

Overall, I rate the hotel as a good value for the price.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank MaxConcrete
Port of Spain, Trinidad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

even though it was not what i expected in terms of location it turned out to be a pleasant surprise all around, as i learn a lot of my country folks stay at this hotel and the shopping was great the staff very helpful and friendly. and the beaches hmmm it was my only drawback as i found it too crowded with lounge chairs to really feel comfortable walking or bathing.but still a place i intend to bring my friends to visit bless.

Room Tip: if u want to use the beach which is located at the back of the hotel and a lovely boardwalk ask for...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank 90etta
Grand Cayman
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed at Seaview Beach Hotel on the 17th of April for only 1 night. We had no problems checking in or out and the room was sufficient. The location really can't be beat for Philipsburg as it is right on the beach, great access to Front Street and Back Street. It felt safe and the staff were very friendly. It is definitely not a luxury hotel, but you get what you pay for! Breakfast was good and very inexpensive. I would definitely stay there again if I were going to stay in Philipsburg.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank JudyeScuba
Edgewood, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

After reading other reviews on TA, I decided to stay here. This is the 1st time that I have been unable to read-between-the-lines of the reviews. We can all usually tell when a review doesn’t make sense…. Like ... “I have travelled the world, staying in many 5-star…” yet it’s their 1st review. You know what I mean. But I made a mistake with the Sea View.

I will begin by saying, “maybe I was given the worst room, in the worst part of the hotel”. But I doubt it.

I can say this: the room had no electrical outlets in the bathroom, no hairdryer, no shampoo. There were no extra pillows in the room, nor at the front desk. It may be the “friendly island” but when you walk up the stairs and into the lobby, no one greets you in this place. When we 1st arrived, we were taken to our room by a guy who had me hold his Lysol (yes, the spray freshener) as he carried 1 of our bags. When we got into the room, he took the Lysol and sprayed the room, and bathroom, to make it “acceptable” … I think is what he said. I’m serious. And the bed was not comfortable. Everything shows wear & aging from the door knob to the plumbing fixtures and windows.

The noise from outside is constant, from horns, mufflers, people yelling & talking … all night. Only to be drowned out occasionally by the noisy air conditioner.

The Sea View is actually close to the beach, but they have no chairs or service that I found. They are above a casino too, which was not all that bad I guess.

Other reviewers have given this place 4 & 5 star reviews. I have to laugh. Maybe if someone only travels for mission trips, then they have never experienced a 3 star hotel and this may seem fine to them. Or someone has a “budget”, a very low budget all the time, and this place is acceptable to them. Or even another may see a clean hallway and feel that the place is classy. I don’t know what else to say, except Trip Advisor has changed its format making it now a little more difficult for me to look at a reviewer’s history and read through their reviews, because again, I made a mistake booking the Sea View. I really don’t like to give low ratings, but this may be the worst hotel I’ve ever stayed in. And, yes, I have stayed in many 4 & 5 star hotels & resorts. This is not one of them. You have been warned – if you do book this, keep your expectations very, very low, then you will be ok with it. Maybe?

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean-front room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank LuvDCaribbean

Travelers are raving about these Philipsburg hotels

Bar Harbor, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

The Sea View Beach Hotel is located on top of a casino overlooking Great Bay Beach. My husband and I walked from Dock Marteen (where the Saba ferry Dawn II makes port) with our bags in less than 10 minutes. While the hotel room surpassed our expectations as far as cleanliness and comfort went, the hotel staff is stretched very thin. We had trouble arranging a taxi to the airport, morning wake up calls, etc, and had to wait in a long line both at check in and check out. The staff seemed extremely competent, but was being asked to do far more than they should have been to appropriately handle the number of guests.

Room Tip: We chose a sea view room, and although more expensive, I believe this room was also much quieter. We...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

This is an older well maintained hotel across the boardwalk from the beach. It is directly across from Mc Donald's on front street. We were with a work mission group and opted for the lower priced interior rooms with 2 single beds. Both beds for some reason made a lot of noise when moving on it. You might want to check this out before accepting the room otherwise everything was fine.

Room Tip: Try beds before moving in.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Pasanggrahan Royal Guesthouse
Sea Palace Hotel
#6 of 12 in Philipsburg
Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Sea View Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!