“Great for the price”

Sea View Beach Hotel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I could fairly give this a 1 star or a 5 star review, but 4 seems appropriate.
You enter through a simple narrow door from the street. The entire hotel is above a casino. The best way to get to the boardwalk/beach is to walk down the street from the front, then cut down an alley. They have a deal with the guy who rents beach chairs, so you don't have to pay the normal $8 or so they usually charge.
I didn't experience any problems with water pressure. However, my toilet did overflow. They had it fixed within an hour. Wifi is spotty in the rooms, but great in the lobby.
The room was simple, but nice, which is the way I like it. For reasons I can't explain, I got the best room in the house (at $90/night). Room 50: on a corner, with one window facing the beach and the other up the boardwalk. I left the windows open all night and listened to the surf (Philipsburg is pretty quiet once the cruise ships depart).
Holland House is a big step up, with a nice lobby, etc. - but it's 2.5 times as expensive.
I'm not sure which of the two I'll stay at next time, but this place was a great bargain.

Room Tip: Room 50 - corner facing the beach and boardwalk.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank John2510

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed here two nights--one before our cruise and another a week later. It is conveniently located with easy access to the beach, boardwalkand town. During the day it is noisy outside with people enjoying the beach and Caribbean music screaming from loudspeakers. By 6 pm the people are off the beach and by 9 pm the music is off. The $5 breakfast served in the morning is a good value. The bad is that the showers, particulary on the first stay, dribbled out warm water. There is no hair dryer (need to ask at the front desk), no shampoo, and no safe. We didn't use the TV or refrigerator. We paid $159 for each night for beach front but only got that one night. The second night we took an ocean view room so we could get into a room at their advertised check-in time. The beds aren't bad. Their are only 2 pillows. One room had bedside lights for reading and one room had only an overhead light. The ocean view rooms are down halls that can be noisy as other guests come and go from their rooms. On the other hand, our beach front room had someone sitting and talking at the table outside of our room early in the morning. The gate to the beach is locked about 6 pm. After that you need to walk down a dark side street to get to the front of the hotel. The hotel was clean. The front desk crew tried to be helpful.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank SeaStar41
Reviewed December 18, 2012

The worst hotel I have ever stayed at. The building needs to be torn down and rebuilt. The bed was uncomfortable, the sink just dribbled lukewarm to cold water even though the faucet was open 100%. Same for the showwer. Our fridge didn't work and the staff did nothing when it was reported. We faced a wall with 20 AC units and was as loud as being on a tarmac. No safe, no shampoo, no ice. No threshold on the door became a concern when I saw what looked like rats running outside of the fence at the hotel. WiFi available in certain areas only. This hotel is appropriate for the Casino patrons who want to sleep it off - NOT for vacationers. Even though there was direct access to the beach and boardwalk, it is not worth staying there. There are others that provide the same access.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gelicks
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Located in zone where cruise ship passengers perambulate, Seaview fronts the beach, and provides guests beach chairs at no expense. Rooms are on second and third floors. Rates seem to vary, despite rate sheet taped up on cabinet behind desk, was quoted 69 usd (low season) for regular room and 75 usd for ocean view, a no brainer. Corner ocean view room at end of hallway where internet couldn't reach had windows with roll down metal covers, quiet sleeping condition as this place is a ghosttown after dark. Room was not especially big, bed springy, air conditioner pretty strong -- and don't turn it off unless you want to experience some strange smell. The place is old and although clean, no amount of scrubbing is going to get it looking or smelling good. Small TV, not the greatest picture, cable without premium channels. First impression of this hotel it appears old and rundown, but it is without real problems and the staff is helpful and a good location if this is where you need to be.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Paubranco
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed here from Nov 11-14, 2012.....the rooms at $75 per night in my opinion..only good if u just want to sleep and get out....but if you're also looking for comfort, the beachfront rooms are the way to go. I paid $87 per night but it is wayyy better than the cheaper rooms. They are more spacious and comfortable. The painting and layout is different. And of course, if you just want to relax on the balcony, you have a fabulous view to enjoy. Hearing the crashing of the waves at nights were the sweetest music to my ears. I am from the Caribbean myself and the beach is nothing new to me but these rooms are definitely the way to go. The hotel is right in the centre of everything but you are not disturbed by the noises on the streets from these rooms.

Dining is within close proximity, as well as shopping and of course, if you want to experience the French side of the island St. Martin , you can just hop on the public bus for a small fee of $2 and explore away. I loved these two islands and I will definitely be back! As for Seaview Hotel, that is my place to stay...

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mia S
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I sent 3 days at the seaview hotel recently. First of all it is in the middle of everything. It is right on the beach and on front street where all the tourist shopping is. The rooms are tiny but reasonably clean. We paid only $75 US dollars. We had hot/cold water,a/c,cable tv,clean towels daily. But we only used it to sleep and then we were off again on another adventure.. If you want more luxury but with same great location there is the Holland house hotel which looked more up to date than seaview. I notice most of the guest were short stay carribbean visitors. If you looking for a dream hotel this is not it so look elsewhere.. But we had stayed 4nights before at the Westin dawn resort which was at a very remote location, so we wanted to experience life in the town and be closer to the airport. If you need a taxi ask the front desk and they would fix you up with a dependable one. All in all I dont think I will go back to this hotel because after 6pm the city closes down. The more happening place to stay would be Maho or Simpson Beach side. We had to take taxi everyday to visit the night spots.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank reena_tt
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This hotel is well-located in Philipsburg, and is clean and good value. But I wanted to write a review because the staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. My ferry to St Bart's was cancelled and it was no problem to organise a room for another night. When I returned a few days later to spend the night before catching a flight the next day, I was given a warm welcome (they remembered me after the ferry debacle!).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Cazzakstan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Horizon View Beach Hotel
#2 of 12 in Philipsburg
Princess Heights Hotel
Princess Heights Hotel
#1 of 8 in Oyster Pond

Been to Sea View Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!