“Exelent place for vacation”

Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Varna, Bulgaria
“Exelent place for vacation”
Reviewed July 28, 2010

While choosing this hotel we hoped for something good. Actually we were really nicely surprised to be in 3 stars hotel with bases, conditions and services for which many of 4 stars hotels could dream. Just for the records we live in a sea resort town some 200 m from the beach.
In this hotel you could rely on the manager Mr. Galland - smiled and suny person, high professional and his team.
Prior to arrive in the hotel we decided to loose some weights. Unfortunately thus didn't happend due to the variety of testy, exotic and different kind of food, prepared and served
by smiled staff, which would be a dream for any turists.
Rooms are large, comfortable and well cleaned with aircon and all of these is giving the turist impression that this vacation is in the paradise. We would like to say 'thank you' to the woman, who kept room 713 clean and tidy during our stay.
Best regards to the charming, responsive and giving you the impression all your problems could be solved recepcionist MsShanique.
It's very important location of this hotel is some 10 walking mins from the shopping street.
With St Maarten's vacation in mind we will keep the wormth for the forthcomming winter in our country.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MaryPlamenStoilovi
gmgreatbay19, General Manager at Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, August 5, 2010
Thank you for the review. We are happy you pointed out to of our wondeful team members. Our front desk member Shanique will be smiling for the positive mention you made of her outstanding service. Our culinary and restaurant team managed by Mr. Calland is doing a wonderful job. We appreciate the mention for him and the team that work for Mr. Calland. We have some exciting new menus to come for fall and winter. His team is really looking forward to showcase these new food & beverage treats. We look forward to seeing you for your next vacation.
Juan- GM @ Great Bay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,617)
  • Hungarian first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 28, 2010

we stayed there during July 9-16 and it was awesome. I was there with my two small children. You can order food of the menu and the A la Carte's were amazing! The weather was also fantastic and the elevator's were working. We had some difficulty with one elevator and the stroller but we managed. The bar staff were moody. I brought Canadian milk and they stored it in their fridge as the room did not have one.
Overall, it was great!

1 Thank sunnyside055
We thank you for the review, we use these in our efforts to consistently improve our resort & casino standards. We appreciate mentioning the ala carte option dining in our beach side restaurant. We offer both buffet style & from the menu for lunch service. We also feature 2 or 3 restaurants open for dinner each night. This gives all guest the opportunity to dine throughout the resort. We look forward to seeing on another trip to St. Maarten and Sonesta Great Bay resort & casino.
sincerely,
Juan- G.M @ Great Bay
waterdown, ontario, canada
Reviewed July 27, 2010

My wife and I have had the opportunity to stay at this resort 7 times over the last 10 years or so. Sept 2010 wil be our 8th visit so I thought it is about time I wrote a review. What keeps us going back is the sense that this is our second home. A resort that offers good quality for your money, a good location that is close the the town of Phillipsburg that can be accessed via the street out front or by walking down the beach. Great staff that are very friendly and approachable. Rooms are very clean, well taken care of and a nice size. Food is really good and there is always a good selection wether it be at the buffet or either of the 2 quality restaurants. There is also a casino in the lobby of the hotel for some fun in the evening.Or just hang around the lobby bar in the evening and chat with the bartenders ( especially Micheal ) and other guests
If you are looking for a huge resort with the now typical 12 swimming pools, 12 bars, 12 restaurants,non stop entertainment, tons of kids programs ect. this is not your place but, if you like peace and quite, nice beach, good food, great friendly staff, good quality rooms, great weather and good shopping for lots of goods especially jewlery ( ask my wife lol ) this is the resort for you.
Try it some time.....you will like it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jimmie88
Thank you for your review. We cherish and value our repeat guests who come to our Great Bay resort and visit the island of St. Maarten. Your comments are a excellent testiment to all possible visitors of our resort and what to do on/around the island. Look for more new things to come at our resort this fall!
with hospitality,
Juan- G.M @ Great Bay
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed July 27, 2010

I would go back there in a heartbeat loved St. Maarten - great food the best lamb I have ever had! the weather was great the people were great the rooms were clean amazing trip would go back any time! The Spa was nice there was a casino right across the street..there was golfing down the street - the ride into town was fun and i got a really nice peice of jewlery! all and all a great trip!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank adsalesrep
Baden, Canada
Reviewed July 24, 2010

My family and I have travelled to St. Maarten before and we were extremely saddened by the state of the island {not to mention disgusted by the hotel we stayed at}. I am not a picky person and will always make the most of a vacation but this place was too much. My 65 year old mother had her camera stolen from the hotel room just before we took our luggage down to leave.

To begin with our arrival....I travelled with 7 people and the tour company was unable to put us all on one bus to get back to the hotel. I had to take 3 of my kids (and grandma) and go on one bus, while my husband went on another bus with the remaining child. It was quite a struggle to travel with young children so this was a terrible way to begin our trip. Once we got to the hotel we had to wait in line for over 90 minutes to check in. We had reserved adjoining rooms but the hotel did not have any available. We requested bath tubs instead of walk in showers (because we have small children), but the hotel did not have any available. This was not a booking problem, my travel agent booked the rooms the way we requested, the hotel just ignored the notes on the reservation. When I confronted the management at the check in, he became extremely rude and lied to me saying that no requests were made by my travel agent. I did confirm that the reservation was booked properly with the tour rep. and that it was the hotel that did not honour the reservation notes. The hotel did not do anything to make up for the lack of bath tubs or the adjoining rooms. We had to spend the week in 2 separate rooms travelling with 4 children. No one helped us with our suitcases and the elevator was out of service.

Pools- never cleaned and covered in algae, so much so that no one swam in on one of the pools at all, and barely in the other. Both of these pools should have been closed for health reasons. It literally made me cry to think that we travelled so far and couldn't swim because it was too dirty {I would never put my baby in such filth.} We complained, as did everyone that we were in contact with, but no one serviced the pools while we were there. We were given 2 towel credits at check in and told that they were out and we'd need to try back the following day. When we went to get towels from the towel bar, we were told that they were being laundered.

Beach- ground up sea shells with glass pieces, garbage, beer bottles, cigarette butts, dog poop, and algae. Instead of a sewage system, when it rained, they opened a reservoir and all of the rain and garbage from the street ran into the bay right where we swam. It rained every day we were there so the beach was disgusting. The smell was a combination of gas and dead fish. There were stray dogs and homeless people doing drugs on the beach right beside the main pool.

View- Our view was of dilapidated buildings, a rundown tennis court and cars, cars, cars. We found the roosters crowing charming compared to the sound of traffic and constant sirens. Seriously, the view that this hotel provided was something out of a crime film.

Grounds- There really wasn't much to look at...minimal plants and no maintenance of what little grounds were there. The front of the hotel was mostly dusty weeds with garbage and liquor bottles. The back of the resort was shamefully littered with cigarette butts, animal feces, garbage and weeds. We saw one resort employee maintaining the grounds during our stay and he spent most of the day drinking rum rather than maintain the grounds. The pool deck was covered in ants (due to all the food on the deck's surface) and we saw many cockroaches at night.

Bars- The pool side bar was rarely open and the bar in the restaurant was serviced by a person who clearly hated his job. The lobby bar was not always open and there were 30 stairs to get to the restaurant {the elevators were not working for most of the trip}. Because of the rain the stairs were always wet which made them extremely dangerous. My children fell several times but did not get hurt. Another woman from our tour fell down the stairs and broke both her arms. Sadly, this did not motivate the hotel to do anything about the condition of the stairs or the broken elevator. All they did was put up a warning sign.

Service- Obviously, we weren't satisfied with the service. We had 1 towel in our room and no face clothes. We always had to ask for towels every day. I would have said the maid service did their best but then we had our newly purchased camera stolen just before check out. There were times when we were made to feel like we had done something wrong because the staff we so cold and smug {we asked if we needed to tip more, if there was a protocol, etc.} The shift manager treated me like a child and gave me dirty looks when I tried to get our room changed to what we had paid for. We had to go to the bar to get our drinks with our dinner because the waiters catered to non- all inclusive guests. I had an awkward feeling throughout our trip due to the staff at the hotel. The young breakfast staff serving during the morning were very good and treated my children with enthusiasm.

Food- One of the two restaurants advertised (the Italian one) was closed throughout the entire duration of our trip. The A La Carte restaurant served very good food, but the service was hit and miss. The buffet food was good, not spectacular, but good. We never would have booked had we known there was only one A La Carte restaurant available as opposed to the two which were advertised. One of the nights the buffet served only Cajun food. I thought it was great but my children were not quite as enthusiastic. When I asked if the kitchen could wrangle up a plate of fries or even a salad without the all of the spicy trimmings, we were met with resistance.

Communication- This may have been the biggest flaw of this resort. All staff were very reluctant to communicate with all members of my family. By this, I mean both socially and in a business sense. Guests at the resort were all very surprised when they walked down for dinner one night only to find that the buffet was closed. No advanced warning, no signs, and no staff to offer direction. The so called Activity Centre consisted of three adolescents who sat around flirting with one another and texting while hiding in their well air conditioned office. I only saw one of the activities listed on the activities board actually happen. Any time we tried to have one of our problems addressed we were redirected through 6 different people and stalled over the course of several days. Never once would a supervisor address our concerns personally.

Accommodations- The hotel decor was run down and dated. The ceilings in the showers were coming down and there were two days in which we had no hot water or no water pressure at all. It is obvious that all restoration work done on the resort is patchwork at best. Despite daily reminders, we were never given enough bathroom supplies to cover the number of people on the trip.

Ultimately, we were completely let down by the vacation. The services offered were sub-par, and the resort had very little to offer in the way of amenities. The staff made my entire family feel as though we were inconveniencing them throughout our entire stay. The resort was unclean and unsafe. Saddest of all, I was given the impression that this beautiful Caribbean island was being overused and under cared for. From the minute we stepped off the plane the minute we stepped back on, my family and myself felt as though we were being hustled.

I would not recommend this vacation to anyone.

8 Thank Momroosh
gmgreatbay19, General Manager at Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, July 26, 2010
Thank you for your review, we utilize these in training our teams in hospitality. Yes, we did have very difficult week with a tropical wave of raing for 6 days straight. This may our pools very tough to maintain with chemicals and cleaning, as the rain stop briefly on Monday & Tuesday our pool cleaners brought all pools back to a clean and acceptable level. All pools where open and used. The rain really affected keeping everyone dry and we allowed all guests to use and recieve plenty of towels. Unfortunately, your reservation was not correct, we wish our travel agents would follow the instructions in making a sale. Our resort does not have adjoining rooms with 2 beds per room = 4 beds to accomodate. This does not exist in our room types, we apologize for the cause of this error. We did give give you a free upgrades and late departure for the reservation mistake. Our teams worked very hard in a difficult week of wet weather to make all guest happy and the best of times in the weather. We apologize if your experience did not live up to the expectation of our resort and the island of st. maarten.
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed July 24, 2010

My stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Resort has ensured that I never return to St. Maarten again! This was by far the WORST run hotel I have ever had the displeasure to stay at. The staff were completely unmotivated and the supervisors remained hidden so that they would not have to deal with any of the complaints, and let me tell you they were coming in fast and furious while we were there.

Upon booking, we made sure we had a bathtub; a necessesity when travelling with small children. We were also told that ajoing rooms would be available. This was a must for use being we were visiting with 4 children. Neither of these ameneties were provided and we were given a constant run-around for the first three days of our vacation when trying to rectify this problem. After wasting hours or our time, we were informed that the resort would compensate us by allowing us to move to their sister hotel by the airport. Anyone travelling with small children knows that this is not really an option. You do everything in your power to reduce the amount of travelling chaos, not double that torture for the young ones. Although three other families were unhappy enough to take the resort up on this offer and left during our stay.

The state of the pool was atrocious. Green algae covered the walls and debrise was regularly floating on the surface. We were told that it is very difficult to keep the chlorine levels blanced. Funny, as a pool owner myself, I never seem to have that trouble!

All inclusive guests (wearing an identifiable wrist band) were treated like lepers by the staff. It was all too evident that the guests making a short trip from neighbouring islands such as Puerto Rico, and Curacao were given preferential treatment over the All Inclusive guests. This effectively negated the All Inclusivity of the trip, instead making this high paying group of tourists feel like a burden on the staff. For instance, whenever I went to the bar for a refrshment, I would ask for a tropical drink for my kids. This was often met with excuses, even though the bartender would go on to make an adult guest a drink using the same ingredients. And if one of my children tried to order a refreshment themselves, they were treated as an annoyance. I tried increasing the size of my tips, but that had zero influence on our service.

After a major rainfall, a backhoe was brought to the beach to release the drain water into the ocean. All of the water from the dirty resevoir was released about 100 feet from the resorts beach. With the pools teeming with algae, and now the beach churning with sewage water, that ensured no swimming for the day.

The security guards are merely locals who walk around in white shirts. Twice I tried to get their assistance and both times the guards did less than nothing. The first time an adolescent soccer team was running through the downstairs lobby and around the pool area naked. This had been going on for three days before I complained. Nothing was done. Second, there was a young local man who sat down beside us and decided to smoke a bag of marijuana. Now I'm as liberal as the next guy, but having my 5 and 3 year old daughters asking me what the funny smell was became a bit much. The security guard walked over to the young man, and then walked away, not to be seen again.

My wife and I visited the island 18 years ago and felt like we were in paradise. Now, I wouldn't send my worst enemy there. It is so sad to see such a beautiful spot become so run down. And it is ALL due to mismanagement. This hotel would not last one day in North America the way it operates.

And what were we given for our troubles? Nothing. If you value your money you will not spend it at this resort.

5 Thank Capekiller
Thank you for your opinion, we appreciate it very much. The past week was a tough & difficult week with terrible tropical wave severe rain and high winds. It made it tough on the guest vacation and for our staff in maintaining the pool, beach, towels, etc... Our pool team @ 5am immediately on Tuesday, once the storm broke began to clean stabilze the PH balance. All pools require this after rain fall, which once you have multiple days, we sure there is no pool company that can keep a pool balanced in the constant rain or clean. We must just wait it out and then proceed when the rain stops. Teh backhoe that was evident on the beach is public lnad controlled by the island of St. Maarten. In severe weather the channel must be open to prevent flooding in the low lying land. We do not control the beaches on St. Maarten, all beaches are open to the public for anyone to walk up and down. The local soccer team, was not local, they were on island for compeition and paying guests of the resort. We appreciate the comments on our security team. We will address there effectiveness for doing the job properly and professionally. What occurred last week is just a tough time in bad weather, our staff did the best they could in a difficult situation. If our standards did not meet your expectation,our hotel is not meant for North America, but we are not in North America, we are Caribbean destination with island cultures, sites & sounds. IIt was a tough week for all with terrible rain, no sun and trying to figure out what to do with children in wet weather. We wish you all the best in your vacations.
Lampeter, Wales
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I had read other comments on Trip Advisor and generally tend to take the reviews with a pinch of salt - boy had I wish I had paid more attention to them!

My husband and I had stayed a week in Grenada and were due to spend the second week of our honeymoon in St Maarten. We were so excited until we got there.

The island was far from the 'Caribbean' we expected. The hotel too was very disappointing. We arrived a bit early to check in so our luggage was put in storage - the bar next to the restaurant unattended and unsecured. We went to have lunch - bland and very much aimed at the American tourist market. After lunch we were able to check in the room. The corridors were almost clinical and the room was awful. When it was time to check in, my husband went to get the luggage where no one questioned if it was his to take (thank god no one stole it in the mean time). He asked the bell hop to help where he was told he was too busy (too busy playing on his mobile phone) so we struggled to get it up ourselves.

As honeymooners, we had been given a twin room. The net curtains were discoloured and dirty. We found a glass chip in one bed. The "mountain view" consisted of a cliff face with a dilapidated shed, hotel and a landfill just to the right. There was also a very busy road outside where at night it seemed was a popular spot to race up and down the street. The night sounds were further complimented by the barking of no less that 3 digs and a cockerel crowing - certainly not the best night sleep I ever had.

The beach is as described elsewhere awful. The sand is not sand at all. It is very roughly crushed shells which physically hurt to walk on. The beach I assume was man made as it seemed to sit on a yellow concrete block (if you looked across the harbour you could see a huge mound of this sand). Part way down it parted to reveal what I think was sewage or drainage of some kind. The pool was on the beach front and didn't really offer much privacy if you wanted that option.

Internet access was charged at $8 us for 30 minutes and the speed is ever so slow so you don't really get much for your money. We made one single phone call within the Caribbean for under 10 minutes and were charged almost $200 us for it. We only lasted 24 hours on this island before we wanted to get out. The island didn't really have anything genuinely Caribbean about it - we could have saved thousands and gone to Europe for what we saw - pure tourist tack. Such a shame as the rest of the Caribbean had been so beautiful. Speaking to locals it seems not many have a high opinion of St Maarten.

When we were checking out the service was terrible. The lady serving was slow and didn't speak at all. I only needed to hand back keys, settle the bill and leave - this took 30 minutes! She kept leaving me to deal with other customers and staff and seemed quite clueless as to what was actually going on. I got quite upset and frustrated by this point and started to cry only to hear 2 staff members mocking me! The manager was also behind the counter and when she saw me cry she turned and walked away - GREAT SERVICE!!! Never before have I felt so disgusted but such unprofessional behaviour as this. In the end we did get out and managed to catch our flight in time (no thanks to the slow service) and we managed to enjoy the end of our honeymoon but it is a real shame that this episode had to happen at all and tainted what was a holiday of a lifetime for us.

I wouldn't wish this place on my worst enemy.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lister66
gmgreatbay19, General Manager at Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, July 22, 2010
Thank you for your opinion. We apologize that the island of St. Maarten or our resort did not meet your expectation as a Caribbean destination. Our resort has many options of relax, recline, renew and fun for all types of guests. We wish you the best in your choice of vacations.

Juan Fernandez- G.M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
#6 of 8 in Orient Bay
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!