We got married here in 2008 because my aunt works there and she was able to help us organize everything. When we got here I was expecting more but eventually I fell in love with the place. The first room they gave us, the door wouldn't unlock with the key they gave us so after several trips back and forth to the front desk to exchange keys I was able to talk Jacques??(I think that was his name) that we need a better room because I didn't like where that one was located. We were able to get an even better oceanview room down the hallway by the casino where the time share properties were. Our room was beautiful with breathtaking views. We loved to watch the cruise ships come in and out. Our wedding there was fabulous and everyone was super nice. The food was average, nothing to rave about. The beach was a little rough for us none swimmers. There is a really steep drop off at one part. Not sure that I would stay there again but our wedding guests are still raving about our wedding and the good time they had there so it was probably the company that made it great. Being close to downtown was great for shopping. We were able to walk to downtown either by walking on the beach or taking the street. Getting there by the beach was more fun though.
We were able to take the ferry over to Anguilla for a day trip and that was really great. You need to go to the French side to get the boat and you will need your passport when you get to Anguilla.
If you're not a particularly fussy person and just want to get away you may not mind some of the minor things about the place. Like the fact that the hotel could use some updating eventhough they say they recently updated it. It really depends on what you're looking for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa is a serene Caribbean haven - and St. Maarten’s premier, limitless all-inclusive, adults-only resort. Delivering a new level of sophistication and style, the elegant destination hotel is situated on a mile-long white-sand beach, overlooking Great Bay and the sparkling sea. With endless amenities and personalized service, the resort invites guests to unwind at three swimming pools, four restaurants, four bars, a spa and the Golden Casino for the ultimate vacation experience complimented by stellar service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotwire, TravelUp, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort And Casino
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Hotel Philipsburg
- St Martin Great Bay Hotel
- Sonesta Philipsburg
- Great Bay Beach Hotel
- Philipsburg Sonesta
- St Maarten Great Bay Hotel
- Hotel Sonesta Great Bay Beach
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa St. Maarten-St. Martin/Philipsburg