We have just returned from 2 weeks at Great Bay. Like many others who have read the reviews we were not entirely looking forward to it - however we had a great time.
We had a mountain view room which was a good size (one king size bed and still plenty of room), new furniture and a great big walk-in shower (enough space for 2 !!).
Food - nothing exceptional but on a par with other all-inclusive resorts with the second week being a repetition of the first. There are themed evenings and on the seafood night I was able to get a juicy steak due to me not liking what was on offer. They dont overly advertise that you can get alternatives to what is on the buffet and that there are bar snacks in the afternoon.
Drinks - plenty and a good variety.
Staff - very helpful, polite and friendly.
Pools - infinity pool with swim-up bar is ace which means that the other pool is hardly used. Jacuzzi is good too.
You can see that the hotel has been refurbished but the standard of the finishes are not what we are used to in the UK - a bit of rustic charm !
I think we picked the right time to go (low season, fewer people) because according to the staff high season gets extremely busy with queues for the restaurant. However they are still working on the hotel. Another restaurant is needed.
Out and about - short walk to Philipsburg for shopping, eating and drinking. Dont miss the free island tour. Maho beach is a must, just to see how close the planes come when landing and the Sunset Beach Bar does great cheap food.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa is a serene Caribbean haven - and St. Maarten’s premier, limitless all-inclusive, adults-only resort. Delivering a new level of sophistication and style, the elegant destination hotel is situated on a mile-long white-sand beach, overlooking Great Bay and the sparkling sea. With endless amenities and personalized service, the resort invites guests to unwind at three swimming pools, four restaurants, four bars, a spa and the Golden Casino for the ultimate vacation experience complimented by stellar service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort And Casino
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Hotel Philipsburg
- St Martin Great Bay Hotel
- Sonesta Philipsburg
- Great Bay Beach Hotel
- Philipsburg Sonesta
- St Maarten Great Bay Hotel
- Hotel Sonesta Great Bay Beach
- Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa St Martin / St Maarten/Philipsburg