“vacation from hell”

Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
“vacation from hell”
Reviewed August 12, 2005

when i was there aug2 to the 8th the casino got robbed bt 3 men with ski masks and shot guns,a native on the beach got robbed, while going to the stores wich was a ten min walk a native man was chasing an american down the street with a pvc pipe, i maide told my 8 year old stop eating your getting fat,there was roches crawling on the dessert tabel,our taxi was not comming to pick us up till 140 to bring us to the airport, i asked if we could keep the room till 1230 they said if you pay more money we can stay in the room. the room smelled like old mop, our tv did not work when we got there,our shower head kept comming off, never any cold water,and you could never get a line out to call any body, i tried to so many times to call my travel agent to get me the hell out of there,i was in fear of my life and along with my family.there were alot of people trying to find another place to stay, im trying to get all my money back from this trip i paid 4200 hundred for this trip, they should of pain me and my family to stay there.so dont go stay far away

• Stayed August 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,564)
  • Hungarian first
Toronto
Reviewed August 7, 2005

Well I have alot of good things to say about the French side of the island but the dutch side and most of the things in it were just a total disaster... First off the hotel staff is totally rude... there were about 2 polite people there and they were just there to get us to sign up for those rip off tours... the rooms smell funny and there is a bunch of mold right below the air conditioner... There were only 2 restaraunts and there IS NOT food available all the time... between 5pm and 7pm is some sort of food blackout perios that we weren't told about... the food was pretty average but again the service in the restaraunt part was totally unacceptable... the hotel endorses a bunch of tours including horse back riding which was a disaster... they gave me a sick horse and the instructer was very rude... also the horses only go about 2km/hr so if you are looking for a thriling ride you are out of luck... the watersports guys rent the sea-doos for $45/0.5hrs and the pulled us out 10 minutes early because they wanted to go home for the day... the hotel offers free snorkel equipment but there is no where that is accessible on foot that you can go snorkeling... RENT A CAR... we rented a car and found it was the best thing because we were able to leave that god forsaken resort... this place is definatly not up to standars and for that money you will get a WAY better resort in teh DR or similar island...

we also almost got robbed after going to Peak Paradise (which was reccomended by hotel staff) THANKS GUYS... when we complained about being pulled off the jet-skis they told us maybe we shouldn't complain so much... the hot tub wasn't very hot and right nect to the hotel is the rain water run off for that region of the island so right after it rains the entire bay turns a lovely brown and has a distinct garbage smell...

Please guys.. if you want to enjoy yourselves, stay on the french side or just go somewhere else... I will not be wasting my money on this island any more... they call it the friendly island but from the airport to the hotel and back to the airport again we experienced nothing but rudeness...

• Stayed August 2005
8 Thank philippus_good
Reviewed August 3, 2005

My sister and I just returned on August 2, 2005 from our very first Caribbean vacation. We chose Sint Maarten because of all the wonderful things we'd heard about it - which were true. We chose the Great Bay Hotel partly because the website said they had just completed a 10 million dollar renovation. We assumed the rooms would be like new. We assumed WRONG. The rooms, and surprisingly, the rest of the hotel actually felt more like it was 10 years old and needed to be renovated. Our first impression of the room was an overpowering smell of mildew. Mildew was growing around the airconditioner vents and on the chair cushions, and the clothes rod in the closet was thick with it. Everything in the room felt wet. I hung a bathing suit up to dry and the room was so wet, 24 hours later the suit was as wet as when I hung it. Other guests we spoke to had the same to say about their rooms. Other problems with the room included: no caulking around the tub, or what was there was already rotting away; tub faucet handle fell off in my sister's hand; the entire sink faucet was loose; light from the hallway poored in around the sides and bottom of the door; there was no clock, no iron, and no coffe pot which I consider standard amenities for a 'resort' type hotel. And these were just problems with our room. On Saturday, all the rooms on the beach side of the first floor FLOODED due to the poor drainage system - or lack thereof. Staff at the hotel just kept repeating, "Well, it is hurricane season." We finally requested to be moved to the Sonesta Maho hotel (owned by the same company). The Sonesta hotel was beautiful and I would return there in a hearteat. The Great Bay hotel I will never return to.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Montreal
Reviewed August 1, 2005

We arrived in St Maarten July 23 until July 30. The Great Bay hotel is not bad overall. Rooms are very very clean and the food is good even excellent some of the days. Unfortunetely, Do not try to have those people in the service department (e.g. barman, waiters or waitresses) to smile. they are very rude. I have to complain to the manager after two days of that rude treatment. The manager admits herself about that problem with their employees. All the guests were talkign about that problem on the beach. To be fair I must admit after talking to the manager the situation improved. (they were supposed to have a meeting with their employees). One of the pool was not very clean.

Also regarding St-Maarten I was on the impression I was going to a rich island but it is poor and not very clean on the dutch side. The French side is a little bit better. Restaurants are very expensive but not very organized. One restaurant (The Green Lantern) was advertising lobsters night but after 6:00pm there was not more lobsters so when to another restaurant The Chestefield, very very expensive restaurant and could you believe they have no more bread to serve with the meal. I was very dissappointed for the price we paid I could have gone to Dominicain Republic or Cuba twice. At least in those 2 countries you know what to expect.

I will not return to St Martin in vacation. There is so many many other place with nice people where you can enjoy your vacation in peace.

7 Thank nicocote
St. Michael
Reviewed July 27, 2005

On the 17th of July 2005 I was relaxing at the swimming pool at Great Bay Hotel when suddenly I realised that a couple was having difficulties in the swimming pool. About four of us cried for help and no one came to our assitance. One of us went around to the jacuzzi where a few Barbadian children were adn they responded quickly with two of our boys dived to the bottom of the pool and saved the couple. One saving the lady and the other saving the man with the help of a few St. Maarten boys. A young lady ran to the front desk and called for help while another guest who heard our cries for help came down by the pool and did CPR to the man who was unconcious. Lucky for the guy he regained conciousness. Great Bay Hotel is a clean and beautiful place but the SERVICE is certainly NOT UP TO PAR!!!!
CABLE T.V is just 4 channels. two towels and MONEY was STOLEN from a few rooms. The best service was indeed the workers in the restaurant! Guards should be fired!

14 Thank sobsandi
Reviewed July 26, 2005

I stayed at Great Bay with a group of teenage students from Barbados, while sitting at the pool with my 2 daughters and my mother, 2 guests were swimming and got into difficulty. There was no lifeguard at the hotel and while we were screaming for help no one came to their assistance. Since I cannot swim I ran around in a panic for any kind of assistance but the 2 security guards there just turned their faces the other way and did nothing. My mum asked them if they could not see there was a man drowning in the pool next to them but the just walked away. We received the same treatment when we yelled in the direction of the resturant. One of the children from our group jumped into the pool and tried to save the woman but the may had already sunk to the bottom of the pool. At that point I ran up the two flights of stairs to the front desk and asked them to call the ambulance. When I ran back to the pool the other children from our group who had heard our frantic cries came and the alll jumped into the pool and brought the 250+ pound man from the bottom of the pool. One of the guests then conducted CPR for ten minutes until he finally brought up some water. This was the most horrifying vacation of my life. The Hotel said SWIMMING IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. THERE IS NO LIFE GUARD, NO NURSE, DOCTOR OR EMT ON SITE.
Therefore if you go swimming in the pool and get into difficulty there is no one to assist you and the staff would not try to help or call the ambulance. If there is no caring guests around at that time it may be your last swim.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed July 23, 2005

Ok I just got back yesterday from Great Bay Beach Hotel. Went from July 16-23, 2005. I read reviews EVERYWHERE and finally decided to stay here. I'm glad I stayed here and didn't listen to the negative reviews. However, before I left for my trip, I took note of all the negative comments and addressed them so I can write this review when I got back to let everyone know. During our stay we spoke with many people from all over the world that were staying at the resort, young and old and they all expressed the exact same options as what I am about to write. I want to make the decision easier for someone staying at this resort so that they don't have to stress like I did initially when I started reading reviews. Just to let you know, I'm a picky guy but only picky to have I feel needs to be picked at. As an example... I don't care of the door of my hotel room has 'chips' or dents in it or if the mirror FOGS up too quickly or stupid things like that. I am only going to point out the obvious.

BEACH: Yes the beach has more course sand than orient beach and some other beaches on the island but it's really not a big deal. It's actually not even an issue! People were saying they cut their feet on the sand in some other reviews and I find that very hard to believe. Although it's course, it's beautiful, very clean and certainly is not sharp enough to cut your feet. All sand has certain little sharp pieces in it like a shell or rock once in a while and this is a given. If your afraid of that, don't step on that sand at all. :) The other issue people were talking about was the steep drop of the water. Yes their is a slight drop but it's not an issue in my mind either. It just means that you can't go out into the water as far as you normally would without the water getting deep. The water gets about 6feet deep at about 10steps in. I didn't think the water was 'dangerously' choppy like some people said. It's normal! Has anyone ever gone to the greek islands and seen the course sand on those beatiful islands and the water there? It's pretty much the same in terms of courseness and waves. The beach is certainly long enough that you can take a little jog if you wanted to. It's also REALLY close to the eating area. You can eat, grab your towels and go for a tan on the beach. Very close which is nice. It's one of the only hotels on the island that is a true beachfront hotel. We went around the island to try the other beaches but didn't think they were really significantly better. Orient Beach was nice but are obviously paying more (chair, drinks). Nothing is free. So we were just as happy staying at our beach with everything we wanted. The beach is man made as someone else mentioned but if no one said that, I wouldn't have known at all.

CONTRUCTION: As many have mentioned, their is construction going on ONLY on the west time share wing. It's not even an issue! Once in a while you hear a jackhammer going but it's nothing. There is music playing on the beach from the bar so you really don't hear it. Didn't seem to bother ANY of the guests. If you look around the island, there is construction going on in many places anyhow. You'll see a guy carry a wheelbarrow once in a while back and forth but it's not on your beach, it's off to the side of the hotel. Don't even notice them.

SEWAGE: Come on! I know I'm making every issue a 'non' issue but that's the truth, I know everything is up to the desgression of the reviewer but I though everything was eggagerated. Yes I saw the sewage 'pond' on the east side of the hotel and it didn't smell at all. You don't see this sewage unless you walk over to phillipsburg and can see it from Front Street. You don't see this when you are on the beach. Didn't look as bad as it was when someone took a photo and posted it on this site either. They did do some digging one day on that side of the beach with a tractor but I hardly noticed it. I noticed when I woke up in the morning that they dug a trench. Only saw it from my balcony and didn't bother me or anyone else.

WEATHER: As always this is the time of year that Emily just passed. Hurricanes can develop. Mostly sun, couple rainfalls that only lasted about 10-15min. Patches of clouds once in a while but I can't complain. Weather was really nice.

FOOD: One word. EXCELLENT! I never got bored of the food. They give you an itinerary when you get there of what type of food will be served each day. Breakfast had runny eggs but that wasn't a big deal, you can ask for an omlette or fried eggs if you want. Bacon was good, potatoes, french toast was really good, and they also have pancakes, fruit, etc. Lunch was different everyday with the exception of once. They repeated the lunch with chicken, rice, etc but it was still very good. Dinner was different every night. One night it would be Italian night, another night SeaFood night, etc. Out of this world! You won't be dissappointed.

DRINKS: The bartenders are a little slow (yes it's the caribbean so what do you expect). You can get anything you want pretty much though. Carib beer was good, Heineken, etc. Although they have to use nicer glasses. The glasses were cheap and small. Order a glass of wine and they bring it to you in a cheap little glass. I just went over to the station where they had the water glasses (which are nicer) and poured the wine into that instead. You can get drinks from 2 bars. Once at the infinity pool and one near the eating area.

SERVICE: Maids are excellent! They clean the room all the time. Can't say enough for them. Our air conditioning unit was leaking one day and flooded part of the floor in our room, we just called the front desk and they had someone fix it in no time. We just left the room, went to the beach, came back and it was fixed. The service at the bar was slow. The service when you sit down to eat for lunch was also a little slow. Normally when it's lunch time, you just sit down and grab a table that has cutlery and napkins already on it and someone should come up and ask you what you want to drink. This doesn't always happen so you have to just get the drinks yourself. Sometimes it gets really busy if you eat lunch or dinner later that you have to linup to get a free table. They have to add more tables as it gets busy at dinner time at around 9:00pm.

POOLS: Although both pools appeared to satisfy everyone and looked nice. An incident happend while I was there. A man drowned in the pool but was later revived by another man we had met up with. Here is the article in the daily Herald about the incident: [--]
The daily herald came and took pictures. The man was lucky to be alive. What bothered me was the fact that the hotel did not have a policy in place when this sort of thing happens. The front desk called the ambulance and they took 45min to get there. If the hotel has some life saving gear nearby like one of the long poles you stick in the water and a first aid kit with a oxygen or something, then this would have helped in this situation! If you have kids (which I don't) then I would inquire about what policy the hotel has before you left your kids play in the pool. I would at least like to see some life saving items around the pool. Not too much to ask! All the security guards just sat around, none of them knew CPR! If it weren't for the one man who performed CPR, this man would have been dead!

Anyhow, the pools are nice and the infinity pool was always bustling with people with was nice to see.

ENTERTAINMENT: When we first got to the hotel we though it was a little 'dead' but it picked up later in the week. This hotel is good for lying in the beach and eating. If you are looking night activities then this hotel is lacking that. They did have a bar inside called the 'Living Room' that had a band play there until midnight. They had a merenge contest which had a bunch of elderely people partipate it. Depends on when you go but I think in the high season the night time entertainement might be better. Outside they had a caribbean band play which was nice but It was still a little 'dead'.

CAR: We rented a car from Maynard rentals. FORGOT renting from the Hertz counter at the hotel. They charge more. Or you can go across the street and rent from Alamo because they are competive. Rent as soon as you get there to ensure you get a car. I decided to rent a car from a local and I was really happy with his service. Talk to Franklin. He owns the business. He gave me a Mazda 323 which was clean and did the job! There are TONS of potholes on the island so don't rent a wreck, rent a reliable car. My car only had 50k on it. Since we were so close to Phillipsburg we ended up walking there instead of taking the car (10min walk). Glad we walked because Phillipburg really doesn't have any parking except near the university area (Yes, St. Martin has a university). Travelling to Marigot is tough because you reach a lot of traffic that will set you back about 15-20min or more. Went to Marigot to check out where the Ferry was for Anguilla and check out the shopping.

GRAND CHASE: Ate at SPIGA. EXCELLENT FOOD!!! Between 2 people it was $60 euros. That included some wine that we had also and desert. Try the tirramizzu (sp). It was really good. They also hire a security guard to protect the customers.

CRIME: An increase of 9% this year and the police force is 40% understaffed (this was in an article I read from the daily herald newspaper). When driving around you can see in certain areas that it's not a really safe island. When walking over to phillipsburg I can see how some people feel that path near the cemetary isn't safe. It's a residential area and it's RUN DOWN. You get people zipping by on a scooter or car and you just have to watch your back just in case. Just we careful..that's all. As anywhere you go, don't carry any valuables with you and don't leave ANYTHING in the car!! It will dissappear! Pic Paradise area has more people breaking in your car also. Didn't go up their but our tour guide recommended not going up to that area and leaving anything in the car.
We aren't paranoid people but but it this way...we locked the doors when in bumper to bumper traffic at night.

MAHO AREA: If you debating whether to stay at Sonesta Maho or this hotel, trust me, we travelled over to Maho and it's not worth it. The beach is non existant. If you like waking up and walking outside to the beach, forget MAHO. They actually have a TINY beach but it's not even that clean and I wasn't impressed because of the road right behind it. Too much development. The hotel itself it nice but the area is not what people are touting it to be.

CLUBS: Bliss nightclub is the nicest. Has a little pool inside of it. You can hear the noise when staying in the Maho though from what I hear. The sunseat beach bar is overrated. It's nice but I didn't think it was anything great. If you are looking for somewhere to park when going there, no worries, you can park in the huge parking lot near sunset beach cafe and bliss. Saw the Q Club from outside but didn't go in it.

JETSKI's on the beach: Yes you can hear the jetski's in the water but that's all part of the beach. Didn't bother anyone. It's nice to have some action going on around the beach. If you want complete tranquility, go over to the french side but I assure you, it gets boring when there are no other people around and nothing else to look at it or talk to (unless your that type of course). :)

CRUISE SHIPS: Again...some people complain about the cruiseships but I included a photo of how far they are. It's not on the beach where Great Bay is. It's far away and you can see them so the view is really nice. I enjoyed watching them come in and leave during the day.

SHOPPING: Phillipsburg has the best shops on the island. Marigot is more expensive. You can bargain on the items. Cigars are CHEAP!!! Liquor is cheap. Not sure about the jewellery though as I didn't shop around for that stuff. The Phillipsburg area thrives on tourists but mostly from the people coming from the cruisships. Never shop when there are cruiseships in town. They won't bargain on those days typically.

All inclusive: Take it! I know people are saying that it's better if you don't go for all inclusive so that you can try the food elsewhere but honestly, how many times are you going to eat out at expensive restaurants!? It gets expensive..trust me.

ROOMS: Rooms are VERY clean. No bugs as I have heard in some reviews. No smell or anything. Actually some of the web pics are out of date. Not sure why they don't update the pics on the web on expedia. The rooms are very spacious and bathroom is nice. Shower has a clear glass. If I had one complaint about the bathroom it would be that the pressure on the 7th floor isn't strong at all. Toying with the showerhead didn't fix this. We would also get a gust of cold water for a couple seconds when taking a shower and then it would get hot again. Other people on lower floors didn't seem to have this problem. It wasn't a big deal as I was still able to take a shower comfortably with that exception. TV has enough channels. ESPN, CNN, etc. You aren't there to watch TV anyhow but before going to sleep a quick flip of the channels is nice so I thought it was good enough.

ELEVATORS: They need to improve the elevator service. One of them doesn't go up to the 7th floor. So to get to the 7th floor you have to use the panaramic elevator. This elevator isn't that nice. Not sure what people are saying how nice it is. So it has glass all around it..big deal. The glass is ALWAYS dirty (not the hotels fault really since people go into there after they were dirty from the beach, dripping, etc). No AC in the elevator and the thing says its going up but instead goes down. You'll see what I'm talking about when you use it. We took the stairs down and elevator up. Saved a bit of time instead of waiting forever for it (and this is low season..I can't imagine in the high season).

CHAIRS ON THE BEACH: Plenty! People who complained about this might have gone during the high season. I can't imagine the high season...busy busy busy!

CHECKIN: Low seasin and very busy. THe people at the front desk are a little disorganized. Our rooms were not ready but we only waited 30min and it was ready. Some other couples had to wait half a day before there rooms were ready but their rooms were upgraded to an Ocean View immediately so I was happy to see the hotel do that for them.

CUPECOY BEACH: Very nice! Check it out

ANQUILLA: You definitely need your passport to get to this island from St. Martin! They will not let you on the fairy without it.

That's about it. I hope I covered everything. email me if you want to know anything else that I might have missed. thanks.

45 Thank generalinq
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,254 reviews

Been to Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!