“Great Bay... Great Time! Beautiful”

Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed May 23, 2009

We changed to this resort, at the last minute after not being able to go to our original destination in Mexico. Our expectations were low after reading reviews, and the whole change etc..... But we could not have been happier when we arrived there. The water sooooo aqua, the sky so blue just gorgeous. The rooms were a hotel room, clean, fine we had a view of the water to die for. The air conditioning worked well and was a welcome respite at night. The buffet food was good to very good, the drinks were yummy, and verged on strong... not watered down at all. The Restaurants Molasses and Cucina were excellent especially the Molasses. The wait staff were adequate and friendly, but became friendlier if you engaged them, another case of you get what you give. We did of course tip, but due to the economy of the island it is not like say Cuba or the Dominican. The staff appreciated the tips and showed you, but we tipped mostly after good service was already given.
The real gem of this trip was the Island itself.... SAFE, to walk around and explore, and we did. We went to front street just mins. from the hotel for your "duty free" shopping
Lots of jewlery "gorgeous", and designer wares, booze-cheap, cheap, cheap. So many vendors great for a shopaholic like myself. We took the public transit to the other side of the Island (French< Marigot) and enjoyed that side as well. Our Daughter went on a catamaran day cruise, and snorkeling expedition to Angullia and thoroughly enjoyed herself. Went took a day and went to Orient Bay (Nudist) area and went para sailing
Again a great day! Our Daugter (21 yrs>) Went to a night club (TANTRIC) one night and had a great time.. keep in mind you have to negotiate with the cab driver before you take the cab, they come back to get you at the pre-specified time.
The Hotel grounds itself were clean and well kept, but is more like a hotel than a resort.
Due to the fact that most people are out and about there are always loungers by the pools and on the beach available, at anytime of the day, and that my dear travelers is something that cannot be beat. You also will not run into a line up at the buffet (except on Sundays when the towns people come for brunch after church)or have a problem booking dinner, even the day of.
To sum up, I would recommend this resort for those who enjoy experiencing the life of the island, also those who want to relax.. we had a great time.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank 3dogsplus

Reviewed May 21, 2009

Our rental car was broken into while parked in the hotel parking lot (lesson 1, don't bother renting and if you do, pretty good chance you'll have the same experience). Of course the hotel is not responsible, we knew this. What we did not expect was the total lack of cooperation. We were finally told we could not call the police from the main desk and would have to return to our rooms and, oh yes, don't forget the call will cost you .75 cents per minute. It turned out ok in the end, no thanks to the hotel staff and all thanks to Gene, the Dancing Machine, a taxi driver sent from heaven! He took us everywhere we needed to go, helped us through the process (so much so that you could call it an excursion!) and got us through it no worse for the wear. Back to the hotel, very clean, good food, decent beach (bring footwear and forget elegant exits from the water), great location for shopping and watching cruise ships come and go in the harbour. The staff? They could use a few lessons in customer service. Oh, and yes, they did charge me $2.56 for the call to the police station, which I refused to pay.

Reviewed May 17, 2009

My wife and I booked here last minute - we were scheduled to go to a 5-star resort in Mexico but were scared off due to the swine flu. So our expectations were pretty high, unfortunately.

We were booked into a Deluxe Mountainside room. I guess the 'deluxe' aspect was due to the size of the room - it was large but that was it's only redeeming feature. It was really a 'Deluxe Main Road-view Room', as it looked out onto the main road. If you crane your neck, you can see the mountain. The room was very old-looking, with old fixtures, furniture and TV. Also had 2 double-beds, when we had specifically requested a king. We made a big stink about the room - it really was crappy - and were moved to a really nice room in the 'apartment' wing of the resort - a Deluxe Oceanview'. This room was phenomenal. Smaller, but with a king bed and access to a covered porch and a long veranda that the 12 or so rooms on our wing all had access to. But since we were the only people on this floor, we had it to ourselves the entire week, which was great. DO NOT GET A MOUNTAINSIDE ROOM!

The food was consistently excellent, every meal. The buffets were excellent, with a different theme every night, and the 2 restaurants (really one, as each named restaurant is only open 3 nights) were excellent also, but make sure you check the menu as some of the items are not part of the all-inclusive package.

The location of the resort is excellent as well, the beach is good (although the water gets very deep very quickly, with a pretty strong undertow, careful if you have kids). It is a 5-minute walk to Philipsburg, and the main road turns into Front Street, the main shopping district. Hertz has a car rental desk in the hotel and you can rent a Corolla for only $44 for 24 hours. You should take a day to drive around the island.

Ok, the bad stuff - the staff is very indifferent. The bartenders get you a drink as if they are doing you a huge favor, and infrequently acknowledge tips. Most of the servers are also surly, a major issue on 'The Friendly Island'. Would a smile be a big deal?? And there seem to be many locals hanging around the bars at night, providing more distractions for the bartenders that really don't want to get you a drink anyways. The health club is horrible, with cracked mirrors and bare lightbulbs hanging down. The attendant sleeps on the massage tables, so find someplace else to get a massage. You have to pay to rent any sort of water item - boogie boards, noodles, snorkeling gear (although the staff in the aqua center is very nice). They charge for wireless access which I find very irritating. And the computers in the Internet 'Cafe' (there's no food there, why is it a 'Cafe'?) are ancient and slow. I used 29 of my 30 purchased minutes just trying to sign on to my Yahoo account! Many of the beach lounge chairs and umbrellas are on their last legs. We saw an umbrella on the beach actually fall apart, and the heavy wooden supports just missed falling on someone. Dining options are limited - there are 3 buffets a day, but as I noted above, the 2 restaurants are only open 3 days each, and neither is open on Monday. So, Tuesday through Sunday, you only have 2 choices for dinner (buffet or restaurant) and only the buffet for breakfast and lunch. TV channels are limited to about 12. Many of the common areas seem a little run-down - a coat of paint and a little spiffing-up are needed. And while I expect to see tip jars at the bars, the meat slicers at the buffet having tip jars was a bit much....

Bottom-line is that the location is great, the food is excellent, but the details really let me down, especially the attitude of the staff. I can recommend this resort but keep your expectations low.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dan D
Reviewed May 5, 2009

A friend & I traveled to the Sonesta Great Bay in late April with Air Transat vacations. We stayed for 6 days. Considering how much I value opinions on TripAdvisor, I am going to try to be as in-depth as possible to help people in deciding whether or not to pick the Sonesta Great Bay. This was my first all-inclusive trip & I am not a super picky person, but I want to be as detailed as possible for people considering this resort.

Weather wise, we were fine for 95% of the trip. When it did rain, it was quick & usually at night. Sun rose very early and clouds were usually coming in around 5pm.

The resort is smaller, not segregated for children - so if you are used to staying in a huge resort with plenty of amenities, pools, restaurants, action, etc, I would suggest re-considering. The beach does not have the soft, powder white sand. It has crushed up shells, but it isn't hard on your feet. The beach isn't very shallow & drops, so if you have young children, the undertow combined with this may make you consider staying near the pool. The sand never became difficult to walk on or too hot.

Room -
Our room faced the road, not a very big deal, but we then found out we had a rooster issue. When we approached a clerk to upgrade to an ocean view, we were informed it was $35. This was fair for us however we were told to come back after 6pm. We did as told and paperwork was prepared. It was then we were told it would be $35/ a day, which frustrated us. We had no issue with the room, however, we did have an issue with the rooster who seemed to hang out in front of the hotel. We informed the front desk of this and they seemed to not really care about it. Otherwise, the beds were comfortable and the room was a good size. Nice soft pillows, plenty of space to put things away. The shower wasn't the greatest at draining itself but this wasn't a huge issue. Maid service was fine & the room was always clean. I can agree with a previous review stating the halls were noisy. They were tiled and things would echo if people came in late at night.

Food wise, the hotel's buffet was good. Breakfast was by far the best meal - good selection of eggs, french toast, pancakes, toast, etc. I didn't eat much meat/fish, so I can't comment on that. There is a swim-up bar and another bar in the dining area. On our first day, we tipped the bartender (as we had been told this is customary to establish good rapport) and he didn't even thank us. He was very lethargic and complained at one point about making frozen drinks. We noticed that overall, the staff has a "oh well" type attitude. You would thank them for a drink and they wouldn't reply. They didn't seem to be cheerful at all. In other instances (like the a-la-carte restaurants), the service was better & much more professional. Both times were did a-la-carte, the food was very good, cooked well & seasoned well.

Location wise, you are about a 15 minute walk from Philipsburg. There is plenty of duty free shopping. If you like fine watches, you will be in heaven. Plenty of stuff to check out for interested parties. Shops/bars don't stay open late, so if you are a night owl, you may be better off staying at the Sonesta Maho, which has casinos and clubs near it.

We did several excursions. We booked with our Air Transat rep Melanie who was extremely helpful. If you are traveling with Air Transat, she knows the local area very well & tells you how to save money rather than over-spending (i.e. by using public transport instead of taxis)

The activities desk -
It would close early or you would have trouble finding someone. When we were in there, I found that we were being pushed to do certain hotel organized tours instead of picking other ones we had expressed interest in. My friend & I both wanted to go zip lining at Pic Paradis (located at Loterie Farms on the French side of the island). We managed to book through the hotel; however, when we arrived there, we found out that running shoes were needed - a major detail neglected to be told to us at the hotel. Luckily, we found some shoes to wear from the staff. The staff was even frustrated, stating that they frequently invite staff from the Sonesta to attend the course so that they could know the particulars when suggesting it as a trip to guests.

We also did a catamaran to St. Bart's, which was coupled with a bus trip around the island for $80 US booked through Transat. The tour guide on the bus was great. We also took the public transport, which consists of buses with signs (reading Philipsburg, Marigot, Maho, Mullet Bay, etc). You pay $2 a trip and they run all over the island. This is the BEST way to go if you wish to check out beaches. We went to Maho beach, watched planes take off & land and ate at the Sunset bar.

Water sports were very limited at the hotel. Everything was at a cost or deposit, even for floating mats, despite it being all inclusive. My friend & I wanted to do the banana boat, and we were informed they didn't work very well and were hard to use in the water. We had to track down a staff member just to be told prices to get a floating mat.

Overall, I would probably spend slightly more money to stay at a nicer place in St. Maarten. The brochure we booked through categorized it was a 4 star, but I would put it at a 3 1/2 just because of the service.

In short, I liked:
- The proximity of the beach to the resort
- The weather
- Proximity to Philipsburg
- Various different types of things to do
- A good variance of ages of guests
- Very clean (rooms, dining area, beach).

I disliked
- Staff's "oh well|" attitude
- Noisy halls/people yelling frequently despite how late it was
- Certain types of food (i.e. salad) were the same every day

3  Thank 052411e
Reviewed May 4, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel for 6 days. We really liked the location. It was a short beach walk to Philipsburg. We had an ocean view room which was great. The breakfast buffet was exactly what we needed. We never ate dinner there as the restaurants on the island are out of this world. All the people working at the hotel were very friendly and accomodating. My only complaint is the hallways are extremely noisy. A couple of nights we were woken up by boisterous people coming in late at night.

We visited the other Sonesta Maho on the island and found it to be very big without direct beach access like our Sonesta. So we were please we picked Great Bay.

3  Thank reeb11
Reviewed May 2, 2009

We stayed at the SONESTA Great Bay during a one week period in April 2009. Although we had visited the SONESTA MAHO RESORT in the past, we were pleasantly surprised to find that Great Bay is more peaceful and relaxing than Maho. Maho is nice however the commercial aircraft traffic overhead and the noise is annoying while on the beach.

Great Bay's staff is polite and very helpful. These folks work hard to make guests feel comfortable and ensure that your vacation is trouble free.
We booked our all-inclusive vacation through Transat Holidays and we must recognize their representative Melanie who greeted us in St Maarten and provided guests with invaluable information throughout our stay (where to shop, how to save money, tips on excursions, food etc.

Great Bay offers good food and nice fine dining in their banquet hall. The water supply is safe so no need to worry about sickness. The guests are mostly Canadians of varying ages. The beach is awesome for both walking and swimming.

Our only comment for those seeking nightlife and entertainment is that this resort offers little and the surrounding area is rather quiet. Maho has nightclubs that are within driving distance.

The shopping in Philipsburg is awesome, duty free and tax free. No need to rent a car, take tours and taxis instead.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank motek_tor
Reviewed April 24, 2009

Although my experience in St Maarten happened over a year ago, I though I would post this anyways for those that may find this helpful.

I planned my vacation to St Maarten for my Winter Sun Holiday for March Break of 2008. I am a Travel Consultant and am looking to give as best a review possible and to give an unbais opinion to anyone who is looking for an honest review.

I am a 22 year old single male, when I go on vacations it is to get away from everyday life and to relax, be pampered and enjoy the local sites and culture. For this trip I went with my aunt as she is a teacher and enjoys the beach and hot Caribbean sun.

Our March Break started off with our departure from Toronto Pearson International Airport. As we were to depart on the Saturday. We both arrived on the Friday night to make sure that we had ample time to get to the airport as we were to be departing in one of the worst snow storms of the season. We had overnight accommodations at the Holiday Inn Select Toronto Airport. I myself highly recommend this hotel for stay overs in the Toronto Airport vicinity. I always stay here because I find that the staff and service is very good. This hotel is well located only a few kilometers from the airport. They offer a complimentary shuttle to the airport every 15 to 20 mins depending on the time of day. The hotel is clean and comfortable, nothing over the top or extremely luxurious but great value for your money. They have a pool and restaurants onsite and are just down the street from a Lone Star and The Keg, as well as William’s Coffee Pub. The rates are usually very good. Should you be driving down and require a place to park the car, they offer stay and park rates for approx $124.00. This gets you one night accommodation and up to 10 days of parking. What a deal! Seeing how at Park and Fly you will pay $80 to $100.00 for 8 days of parking.

Our trip was with Transat Holidays and we were to fly Air Transat from Toronto to St Maarten Princess Juliana Airport. Check in was reasonably quick, however I did encounter a minor set back when the check in person advised me that I would not be able to bring my carry-on on board as it did not meet the carry on size requirements. I have a very standard carry on, the black Air Canada Carry on with the wheels. Although this did pose to be an issue, I did have a beach bag packed in my luggage that I was able to stuff all of my important effects in and carry through with my holiday. Just an FYI, I have traveled with Air Transat many times previously with this carry on and had never had an issue. It all really depends on the counter agent you get at the airport. I strongly advise that people travel with a carry on bag that goes over your shoulder. Reasoning behind this is that it does not weigh as much the ones with wheels on them and these also fit better underneath your seat. With most charter airlines, the carry on allowance has gone from 10KG to 5 kg in recent months. The carry-on with wheels is a heavy piece of luggage even without anything in it. I was able to pack more things in the shoulder carry on as the bag itself doesn’t weigh anything.

Upon arrival into St Maarten, we landed at Princess Juliana Airport. This is a tiny airport with only one runway that extends right out to the ocean. We here transferred from the airport to the Sonesta Great Bay Resort. By the time we had arrived it was just before midnight. Check in went reasonably well. Unfortunately for us, we were the last to check in so we got the very last room on the seventh floor with one king bed. Although this was not a huge issue, we had requested 2 double beds. I simply went back to the front desk to ask if they had any rooms with 2 double beds. At that time they did not, so I went back the next day to see if they would have any available as there were people scheduled to check out. Please remember that when you place requests on file with your tour operator or Travel Consultant, that these are requests and are never guaranteed.

This resort is a small resort located on the very end of the Great Bay Beach. Seven floors are apart of this resort and then there is a separate section for Time Share. Although this is a nice resort, there is nothing luxurious about it. Accommodations are rather basic, but comfortable. The rooms are a standard size. The bathroom is your standard bathroom with vanity and sink, toilet and standup walk in shower only. There are two different views available at this resort. Mountain view and Ocean view. We had an oceanview room. The views are quite spectacular as the pier for all the cruise ships coming into Philipsburg is located at the other end of Great Bay Beach. It’s like a surprise everyday, howmany cruise ships will be in port. And although the cruise ships come into port here, the beach was never really busy. This resort offers great views of the ocean and surrounding mountains. The beach is not incredibly long but a decent size. If you walk 10 minutes down the beach you are literally in Philipsburg the Dutch capital of St Maarten. This makes for a great morning of afternoon walk. The sand is on the coarse side (almost the consistency of crushed shells) on Great Bay Beach. Due to the hurricane that hit here a few years back they had to reconstruct this beach and port. This really wasn’t so bad as it was really easy to get off your feet. There were always plenty of beach lounger available for guests (and this was March Break). This resort offers 2 pools. Nothing fancy or special. One of the pool does have a swim up bar available. They also offer a communal hot tub in the pool area.

In the evening, there was some entertainment available by the lobby, there is live music and dancing. The casino is also open for guests who enjoy tables or slots.

The service at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort was reasonable. I found that the service was somewhat like what I received in Jamaica. It could be really good...and than again...not so much. There were some individuals at this resort who appreciate that you have come to there island and are very happy to see and serve you with kindness and a friendly smile. Then there are some who are somewhat unpleasant, and act as though you are unconvincing them. It took us 2 days to find out who these people were, this allowed us to know what sections of the buffet and restaurants to sit in so we would get the nice wait staff.

There is an all inclusive package available at the Sonesta Great Bay when booked with Transat Holidays. The all inclusive aspect is still very new to St Maarten so you will find that many resorts only offer European Plan (No Meals) or MAP (Modified American Plan – Breakfast and Dinner). There is one buffet at this resort with a limited selection of items on the menu. Although the selection is limited the food was very good. There are 2 a la carte restaurants available to guests, seafood international and Italian. The a la carte was good but nothing overly special. One thing I would like to mention, the house white and red wine were quite superb. I highly recommend that people going to St Maarten take advantage of the great abundance or culinary experiences that are available on this great island. St Maarten/St Martin is know as the Culinary Capital of the Caribbean, There are hundreds or great restaurants to choose from all over the island, it would be a total waste if people did not step off the resort and experience the culinary wonders that St Maarten/St Martin has to offer. For example, it was my Aunts birthday so I decided to take her out for a nice birthday dinner. We decided to take a taxi to Marigot the French Capital (as St Maarten/St Martin is half Dutch and half French). We ended up having a really nice walk along the marina in Marigot, and it sort of reminded me of pictures I’ve seen of St Tropez. There was an abundance of great restaurants along this strip. We ended up sitting down in a patio along this boulevard and had a fabulous Caribbean Lobster Dinner for under $40.00US a head! These lobsters were huge! For any foodies out there, make sure you make a pit stop is Grand Case...this is the place to be if you want great food at a variety of price points.

As I was in St Maarten for the March Break I was expecting some March Breakers. There were maybe 3 families at this resort with young kids. There were absolutely no loud drunk obnoxious teenagers here. As St Maarten tends to attract a more affluent clientele, you do not tend to find a large “March Breaker” presents. This is also a destination that tends to be on the more expensive side of Caribbean vacations travel, so this tends to deter them as it does not suit there financial budget.

St Maarten is known as the Caribbean’s Duty Free Mecca, there are an abundance of shops to fill your every desire down Front Street the main street in Philipsburg the Dutch Capital. As this is only 10 minute walk down the beach from the resort it is a great way to spend a morning.

There are plenty of other things to do on the island of St Maarten/Martin. This island is also known for Scuba Diving and Snorkeling. We did an excursion on the Tuesday to the Prickly Pear which is one of Angulla’s Sister Islands. We booked this right at our resort through the Activities Center. It was $100 per person for the full day tour onboard the Lambada. The tour included transfers from the hotel to the Simpson Bay Marina, 2 Hour catamaran ride from St Maarten to Prickly Pear all drinks and snacks included, an hour of great snorkelling along the reef in Prickly Pear Marine Reserve. BBQ Lunch with a choice of Chicken, Ribs, Mahi Mahi or a combo of Chicken and ribs and a bunch of different sides, Another hour of snorkelling or rest and relaxation on the amazing white sand beach, Return trip onboard the Catamaran back to Simpson Bay Marina and return transfer from the Marina to the Resort. This was an action pack day. I have waited years to be able to do this with my aunt and enjoyed every minute of it. It wasn’t just the snorkelling that was great about this excursion, it was the whole experience. Well worth the money and you get to meet all kinds of great people. Although this used to be the place to snorkel in St Maarten 10 years ago, I feel that this place may be over used as there weren’t as many fish as was expected and some of the reef was dead. I enjoyed every minute of it and was fascinated by everything I saw. Lambada Prickly Pear departs on Tuesday and Thursday. Prickly Pear is a deserted island, the only establishment is the BBQ and Beach Bar.

For any Snorkel enthusiasts out there, if you are looking for reasonable snorkeling, take a taxi to Mullet Bay, the Snorkeling here was much better and it was free. You will see more of a variety of sea life at this location.

We also decided to go and check out Orient Beach as we had meet a couple on the Lambada the previous Tuesday and wanted us to pop by for some drinks and to hang out for the afternoon. Orient Beach is one of the nicest beaches on the island with powdery sand. We spent most of our afternoon here as we had rented some beach chairs for the day. No sight of our friends for the first half of the day so we just sat around and relaxed. This is definitely the party place in St Martin and almost reminds me of Wasaga Beach here in Ontario. I had a stroll down the entire beach, it was interesting. Club Orient is divided from the rest of the beach by a breakwater made from rocks. Once you walk across this barrier of rocks you are in the “Au Natural” Area. On my way back I bumped into our friends from the Lambada excursion. They were totally “skin to the wind”, I had to avert my eyes and stare at the palm tree behind them to keep a straight face. Once they put their clothes back on we walked down the beach to join my aunt and enjoyed an Ice Cold Presidente with Clamato Juice (Surprisingly very good).

This is a very European influenced island, so topless sunbathing is pretty much visible everywhere. The people are for the most part very friendly and happy to be of any assistance.

Our Departure back to Toronto was later in the evening, a had gone down to the front desk to request a late check out. It was $50.00US for a late check out and well worth the $50.00US. This allowed up to spend all day on the beach and have a shower and freshen up before boarding our flight.

I hope this has helped somewhat if you should have any questions that I have not covered in here please send them my way and I will do my best to answer them.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
10  Thank Travel_Connoisseur86
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Princess Heights Hotel
Princess Heights Hotel
#2 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!