We changed to this resort, at the last minute after not being able to go to our original destination in Mexico. Our expectations were low after reading reviews, and the whole change etc..... But we could not have been happier when we arrived there. The water sooooo aqua, the sky so blue just gorgeous. The rooms were a hotel room, clean, fine we had a view of the water to die for. The air conditioning worked well and was a welcome respite at night. The buffet food was good to very good, the drinks were yummy, and verged on strong... not watered down at all. The Restaurants Molasses and Cucina were excellent especially the Molasses. The wait staff were adequate and friendly, but became friendlier if you engaged them, another case of you get what you give. We did of course tip, but due to the economy of the island it is not like say Cuba or the Dominican. The staff appreciated the tips and showed you, but we tipped mostly after good service was already given.
The real gem of this trip was the Island itself.... SAFE, to walk around and explore, and we did. We went to front street just mins. from the hotel for your "duty free" shopping
Lots of jewlery "gorgeous", and designer wares, booze-cheap, cheap, cheap. So many vendors great for a shopaholic like myself. We took the public transit to the other side of the Island (French< Marigot) and enjoyed that side as well. Our Daughter went on a catamaran day cruise, and snorkeling expedition to Angullia and thoroughly enjoyed herself. Went took a day and went to Orient Bay (Nudist) area and went para sailing
Again a great day! Our Daugter (21 yrs>) Went to a night club (TANTRIC) one night and had a great time.. keep in mind you have to negotiate with the cab driver before you take the cab, they come back to get you at the pre-specified time.
The Hotel grounds itself were clean and well kept, but is more like a hotel than a resort.
Due to the fact that most people are out and about there are always loungers by the pools and on the beach available, at anytime of the day, and that my dear travelers is something that cannot be beat. You also will not run into a line up at the buffet (except on Sundays when the towns people come for brunch after church)or have a problem booking dinner, even the day of.
To sum up, I would recommend this resort for those who enjoy experiencing the life of the island, also those who want to relax.. we had a great time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa is a serene Caribbean haven - and St. Maarten’s premier, limitless all-inclusive, adults-only resort. Delivering a new level of sophistication and style, the elegant destination hotel is situated on a mile-long white-sand beach, overlooking Great Bay and the sparkling sea. With endless amenities and personalized service, the resort invites guests to unwind at three swimming pools, four restaurants, four bars, a spa and the Golden Casino for the ultimate vacation experience complimented by stellar service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort And Casino
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Hotel Philipsburg
- St Martin Great Bay Hotel
- Sonesta Philipsburg
- Great Bay Beach Hotel
- Philipsburg Sonesta
- St Maarten Great Bay Hotel
- Hotel Sonesta Great Bay Beach
- Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa St Martin / St Maarten/Philipsburg