Sorry it has taken so long to write this review. My husband and I travelled to St. Maarten in late February, 2004. What a mistake I made by choosing the Great Bay Beach Resort.
When we arrived at the hotel, we were really disappointed. The hotel looked very run down and was located in a busy area right in Philipsburg. We checked in and went to our room. The room wasn't anything special and smelled very musty. Before putting our bags down, we decided to upgrade to an oceanview room. Our new, oceanview room was just as musty. The floor tiles were cracked/broken, the bureau drawers were overlapping each other and made of ver cheap particle board, the slidding glass door was broken, the toilet wouldn't flush, there was a rusty bidet in the bathroom that was just revolting, and the bathroom itself was very small/dirty. I could go on.
I was very disappointed to say the least. We spent $1900 per person on Expedia---, all-inclusive (air, hotel, food, drinks, etc...). It was not worth the money at all. We proceeded to check out the grounds. There was no landscaping, only one very small pool, and a not-so-nice beach. The sand was coarse, the beach had a steep slope into the water, there were wild dogs everywhere, begging for food. Very sad (not the way you want to feel when you're on vacation).
My husband went to the bar to get a beer and was met with less than friendly service. Only four choices of beer. We were hungry, so we checked out what they were offering. It was around 4:00pm, so they had some food out on a table outside.......a bin with browning lettuce and a pot of ribs that looked as if they had been there for hours, GROSS! Even more disturbing was the fact that we looked around us and nobody was smiling!!! Very alarming!
I told my husband that it would ruin our vacation to stay there. So, we decided to find out if we could get our money back and check-in to a different hotel. I remembered reading a bad review on trip advisor--- that told readers to "save yourself from Great Bay and stay at the Maho Hotel". I should have listened. When we inquired about the Maho Hotel, they said that it was their sister hotel. After giving us a hard time about wanting to leave, they finally gave us the option of transfering to the Maho, a four-star hotel. It was an even exchange.
When we arrived at the Maho hotel, we were astonished to see what we could have been missing by staying at the Great Bay Beach Resort. Lush landscaping, two pools and one with a swim-up bar, marble floors, incredible service, beautiful resort, I could go on.....
Save yourself the hassle and stay at the Maho Bay Beach Resort!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa is a serene Caribbean haven - and St. Maarten’s premier, limitless all-inclusive, adults-only resort. Delivering a new level of sophistication and style, the elegant destination hotel is situated on a mile-long white-sand beach, overlooking Great Bay and the sparkling sea. With endless amenities and personalized service, the resort invites guests to unwind at three swimming pools, four restaurants, four bars, a spa and the Golden Casino for the ultimate vacation experience complimented by stellar service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Hotel Philipsburg
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort And Casino
- St Martin Great Bay Hotel
- Sonesta Philipsburg
- Great Bay Beach Hotel
- Philipsburg Sonesta
- St Maarten Great Bay Hotel
- Hotel Sonesta Great Bay Beach
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa St. Maarten-St. Martin/Philipsburg