This was our second trip to St. Martin. We were there from April 8th through the 13th 2014. My wife and I so thoroughly enjoyed our stay last year at the Sonesta Great Bay resort that we decided to make it an annual event. This year another married couple - and our closest friends joined us. We had a great time as a group. It was more fun than last year. It’s nice to have friends to share paradise with.
OK, let’s talk about Sonesta Great Bay. Sonesta is an older resort, and that’s part of its charm. You combine its charm with a great staff, good food and great location and you have the recipe for an immensely wonderful relaxing vacation.
Don’t go there thinking that it’s an ultra-modern facility. Go there knowing that it is a very well maintained, clean, and ECO friendly facility that will take you back in time when life was full of simple pleasures and fun times. They seem to have an almost around the clock maintenance staff that is constantly repairing, cleaning, and maintaining the facility. This is an improvement from last year but even then the maintenance seemed adequate.
How do you describe a staff that is attentive beyond your expectations…? Wonderful!! The management team is indescribably attentive with managers covering the grounds and supervising each area to ensure that every visitor is provided with good service, enjoyment and safety beyond expectations. The staff is always friendly and makes you feel like family. Everyone remembered us from last year… and each new employee became our friends… It’s almost as if we never left.
The front manager, Miss Vicky, who you will definitely meet, will take care of any problem that can’t be solved under normal circumstances. She’s an amazing organizer and troubleshooter and performs her duties with such grace and charm… There’s no wonder she’s an Internet sensation. She’s one of the reasons we made up our minds to visit for the first time last year. Last year while researching Sint Maarten I read several rave reviews on the Internet about her that generally said “You got to meet Miss Vicky”. “She’ll take care of you”… and that she does.
Ms. Cleopatra Blair, I want to describe as a manager that seems to pop up whenever you think you need something that’s not immediately available to you. It’s as if she reads your mind… Miss Cleo, are you psychic? Psychic or not, she’s an amazing manager who seems to command the admiration and respect of the staff and visitors.
Bottom line - the management team, and I emphasize team, is very professional and just awesome at what they do. I want to term it “Organized Delightfulness” or something like that.
Don’t forget to meet “Elvis”!!! aka Ms. Germaine Jackson. She does a better Elvis impression than I do, and I think mine is pretty good. She’s such an attentive and professional staffer. You have to enjoy yourself whenever she’s around. Germaine - in my best Elvis impression “Ahhh thank you, thank you very much” for taking such good care of us but for now “This Elvis has left the building” We’ll perform our little routine again next year – I’ll be practicing.
Edwin – What can I say “you are the man”… Big ups to you my friend… take care…
Can you chant with me? “SONESTA GREAT BAY”, “SONESTA GREAT BAY”, “SONESTA GREAT BAY”
OK… OK enough with the praise. I’ll see you islanders again next year – same time same Bat channel. You know, they really like me down there ‘cause I’m just a fun kinda guy. The whole island starts cheering when I get off the plane. OK maybe not all that, Really they’re cheerful all the time.
Now, finally, let me give you the bullet point review you came here for.
• The resort is in the best location on the Island with easy access to shopping and any other venue on the island.
• The views are fantastic.
• The resort is clean and has plenty of amenities.
• The staff is very friendly and attentive.
• The food is very good.
• Overall, it’s a great value.
And if you don’t like this resort and don’t have fun - then something is wrong with you.. OK?!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa is a serene Caribbean haven - and St. Maarten’s premier, limitless all-inclusive, adults-only resort. Delivering a new level of sophistication and style, the elegant destination hotel is situated on a mile-long white-sand beach, overlooking Great Bay and the sparkling sea. With endless amenities and personalized service, the resort invites guests to unwind at three swimming pools, four restaurants, four bars, a spa and the Golden Casino for the ultimate vacation experience complimented by stellar service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort And Casino
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Hotel Philipsburg
- St Martin Great Bay Hotel
- Sonesta Philipsburg
- Great Bay Beach Hotel
- Philipsburg Sonesta
- St Maarten Great Bay Hotel
- Hotel Sonesta Great Bay Beach
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa St Martin / St Maarten/Philipsburg