“Great location to get away from it all.”

Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Hamilton, Canada
“Great location to get away from it all.”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

A good adult resort catering to the 50+ crowd. The building is aged, but is very clean. The air conditioners in the room are noisy so you have to turn them off at night. Great choices of food at the Buffet. Trying the seafood a-la-carte restaurant was well worth it, although the service is very slow. The Italian restaurant could use some improvement in its menu. The beach is crushed shells, not sand, which makes it difficult to walk. The pool areas are excellent. The staff there are very pleasant and helpful. They have what they call a casino, but it just contains less than 50 slot machines. Phillipsburg, the main port for the cruiseships is only a 10-15 minute walk with many shops and 4 casinos, but all the stores close at nightfall.

Room Tip: Choose a beachview room since the other rooms overlook a very busy street and get very little sun. R...
3 Thank AlmostRetired206

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,617)
  • Hungarian first
Purley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I Mrs Janet White stayed at this wonderful hotel from 27/12/2013-11/1/2014. The staff were absolutely wonderful to me. My husband and I were taken off a cruise liner by ambulance to hospital with no help. I was taken to the the hotel and the very kind Manager found me a room and considering I had no booking and it was Christmas period this was extremely kind of him when he knew the circumstances. My husband later died whilst out there and the staff were truly fantastic to me and even when my family flew out to join me, they were accomadated at such short notice. Food was lovely, setting was stunning, cleanliness was to high standard. This place truly is paradise and I cannot speak highly of all the staff there. First class choice and it is most definitely the friendly island.

Room Tip: Sea view as the view really is stunning and seeing the cruise liners sail away is fantastic sight.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank janet w
Mancos, Colorado
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at Sonesta Great Bay last week and enjoyed our first trip to St Maarten! Our check in was quick and efficient and we were greated at the front desk with Champagne and a smile. All of the staff were friendly and didn't hesitate to explain anything that needed additional information. We had requested a room on the fifth floor or above and it was delivered with the promised spectacular view (see attached photo). The room was nice with a very comfortable bed and stocked liquor in the fridge for the evening cocktail on the balcony. The maid service was excellent as they would come around every afternoon to check if you needed anything additional.

The food at all the restaurants including the buffet was very good with a nice variety of fruits and vegetables. The one thing that I would advise the front desk to do at check in is to let guests know that there is someone on site who can assist with planning excursions or day trips. We were not aware until we found his desk the following day. Another piece of advice that we learned and may be helpful to other guest is the bus service which exists on the island. It is efficient, clean, and very reliable. They are not really buses but vans and have there destinations displayed in the front windows. You simply wave them down or find a stop and for no more than $4 (usually cheaper) to most places you can get there much cheaper than a taxi.

I would definitely stay at Sonesta Great Bay again as they delivered on what they promised and strive to make you feel comfortable at every turn during your stay. Don't fear the negative reviews as every place is going to have issues. If you are flexible and have patience you will have a great stay here!

8 Thank Ranger145
Vibank
Reviewed February 17, 2014

My husband and I and another couple stayed at the Sonesta Great Bay resort in St Maarten from Jan 30 to Feb 13/14. I have to say that the staff there is amazing and the hotel management should consider themselves very fortunate having the employees they have. From Vicky at the front desk, she was amazing and very friendly and always helpful. Allon (luggage pro)Chantal and Denroy (Entertainment) Georgio (Butler) Ella (Security) Ramzie (Casino) they are all amazing and definitely made the stay that so much more enjoyable. There are also so many others that I cant remember all of their names but am so thankful for all of them. The resort had awesome food and is very clean and we had a wonderful relaxing 2 weeks and we would come back again, we loved it. It is quieter at nights than some resorts we have been to but for us this was fine. the walk into town during the day was great and tons of shopping.
it was nice to go to the sister resort (Maho) to watch the planes, that was an experience in itself.
Congrats to the staff at Sonesta Great Bay, you are all amazing and I do certainly hope the resort management takes notice of your hard work and dedication to making peoples' vacation one they will never forget. Take care from Canada

Room Tip: Ocean View and the higher the floor the better the view is amazing.
7 Thank Lorraine W
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We needed some days before our time share was available, so got a room at the Great Bay from Jan 23rd to Jan 25th. The rooms have been renovated, the place seemed refreshed. It's now adults only, we liked the quiet vibe, the food was good, the seafood resto was excellent. The staff seemed friendly - Vicky on the front desk, Georgio who helped with our luggage at check in, the buffet staff, no issues.
Minor quibbles - no room safes available, but there is an office safe, more umbrella's are needed for the lounges, the sand is a little coarse - none of them are deal breakers
Interesting, our time share is next to the Sonesta Maho, so I walked around the Maho once to compare, I would stay at the Great Bay hands down
John & Bev

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Bev H
Ohio
Reviewed February 17, 2014

First time at this resort and loved it! The staff was very friendly and made us feel welcomed! The food was great especially in the two speciality restaurants. The bartender in the casino was the best! Overall we had a great time and plan to return next year.
Even though this is my first review I have been on 5 cruises and this was our third and best all inclusive.

4 Thank Sandra C
The Jersey Shore
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We just spent a week Feb.1st thru Feb. 8th which was an RCI exchange. We were greeted with a cold drink and smiles our luggage was swiftly taken and put on a cart to be taken to our room and check in & out was quick with the help of a sweet and personable accommodating woman by the name of Vikki and a wonderful hotel staff!!! No worries!!! We had a studio apt which is perfect for 2 people on the 2nd floor Rm 256 with a Ocean view that was beautiful!!! The studio was nice size & clean it has a small kitchen with a kitchen table a stove microwave freezer & fridge coffee maker big roomy closet with a digital safe and a big bathroom with a nice big soaking tub and shower... It had a bit of a musty smell, nothing a scented candle didn't fix..my only complaint was the bed...it's what they consider a Murphy bed not a pull out but a bed with no box spring a mattress on wooden slats on a steel frame so it was a bit uncomfortable but livable everything else was perfect with a small balcony over looking the pool with the Ocean view so we enjoyed sitting outside watching the boats come in and go out everyday. It's a good location we walked into town via the beach everyday it's a 10 minute walk from the resort so it's convenient... we walked into town to go have breakfast at Au Petit Cafe on old street their Crepes are the best!!! (Ty Coco) and walked around the little flea market & town...Just keep in mind that when the ships go out the town pretty much closes up!!! So either you need to go all inclusive for food or if your adventuress like myself go to the grocery store and shop. I rented a car and I like to drive so we went to Marigot (French side) they have an awesome flea market daily we also went for a couple of lunches & dinner at The Tropicana (Ty Christophe) great cuisine and we also had Dinner in Grand Case (French side) @ Le Pressoir excellent food (Ty Jay) but a bit $$$ Pineapple Pete's in Simpson Bay is also good and if ya want to be entertained by planes coming in and out you can always have lunch or dinner at the Sunset bar & grill in Moho beach...Ty Vikki you were very helpful on directions and places to eat and just a pleasure in general!!! The cleaning staff was great we always had clean towels & a clean room Ty and also I forgot the gentleman's name that took out luggage but Ty and Colin thanks for keeping the place safe!!! The staff really does make the Sonesta a nice & homey place to stay!!!

Room Tip: I had room 256 it was on the second floor a studio apt ocean view was beautiful but i'm sure if...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Limobiach66
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
#6 of 8 in Orient Bay
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!