4,337 results
All reviews sonesta maho swim up bar lava rock butler service pizza ocean view il pescatore seafood restaurant a la carte restaurants pool deck entertainment staff sister hotel all inclusives oceanview room st maarten beautiful island great vacation
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This was my first trip to Sint Maarten. I loved the island and the location of the hotel, within walking distance of Philipsburg and with the breathtaking view of the bay and the cruise ships. The room was OK but no information available on anything in it aside from a sheet with the time and place of meals. Bathroom was really worn out with a leaky ceiling and hot water was hard to find and the towels very small and no bathrobe. Staff was generally nice. Food was good, with an excellent breakfast. Did not use the swimming pools (which are tiny) or the jacuzzi but the beach is great and swimmers have their own safe spot to swim in away from the jet skis. Just be early on the sand (8:30 - 9 am) or you'll find all the seats and umbrellas taken. The all automated casino is fun (not my thing though) and I didn't try the spa. But I'll be back...

Room tip: The sea side is just dreamy
Date of stay: December 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank countryfrog
alexlynch, Guest Relations Manager at Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We have never been to St.Martin and wanted to explore both sides of Island. The hotel itself did not meet our expectations, we did expect more. The bar was closed when we arrived and yet our room wasnt ready for another hour. So we waited by the beach. The room was okay, nothing impressive. The food was just okay, We ate the same thing everyday-- not many choices. Good Alcohol,horrible wine.

Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank WorldTravler3

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We value and have taken note of your comments, and look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I was only here one night on business so please take that into account when considering the following:

Unfortunately, I got a room on the ground (almost basement) floor on the back of the hotel. That certainly did NOT enhance my experience as I was looking at a retaining wall and some foliage with the main road beyond. However, it was not noisy.

Now, I don't know about the oceanfront rooms but this room was poorly maintained with peeling paint, worn doors, an old style TV with very few channels, terrible pillows, etc. I give this room about a D. I hope yours will be better.

The setting here is quite nice.....it sits on the bay with a great view of the harbor, the cruise ships and yachts across the way, nice sunset and view of the ocean......very pleasant.

We were treated with a nice, refreshing drink and enjoyed one night of their "all inclusive" package.
We elected for the seafood dinner in the restaurant over-looking the bay....very nice. Our waitress was THE best customer service person I have ever encountered on this island and I have been here many times. Sorry I can't remember her name, but she was simply wonderful. The fact that she was generous with the merlot helped!

We found the food to be quite good though they were a bit stingy with the shrimp and lobster on my seafood pasta dish. The portions were on the smaller side but were fine for me as an average-sized guy.

Breakfast was fine, if not memorable. The waterfront looked nice but isn't large.

Overall, I wouldn't stay here because of the room, but other than that, I found it a pleasant property.

In general, I don't find the people of St. Maarten to be particularly well-trained nor do they seem to understand that the tourists are the reason for the islands' prosperity. Perhaps it's a cultural thing that I don't understand but other than our waitress, I find the people of the island to be not friendly.
But, hey! Maybe it's me!!!!

Room tip: See above, but make sure get get and oceanfront one.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We have taken note of your comments and we would like you to give us another try in the near future and we will prove to you that we can provide better service than what you recently received.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

It's my understanding the hotel is under a management transition. While the location can't be beat, management needs to listen to the complaints and take note. While the outside space is quite nice, the indoors space is lacking in any charm. There's just no excuse. I am going to avoid knit-picking the minutia and focus on the service. In my opinion, this can make or break a vacation experience. While a handful of the female staff were freindly, the service from male staff was appaling! Not a smile or word from bar staff when ording a drink. It was as if we were an imposition. I am not exaggerating. BAD!!!!! We had four people in our group and all experience the same. Even with the rest of the staff it was as if you had to work at it to get them to warm up. We have been traveling to the islands for many years so the "culture" excuse doesn't fly. As for management, that remains to be seen. On New Year's Eve, no sign was posted as to what the events of the evening were going to be. No communication. It was appeared to be thrown together at the last minute. Even with the threat of weather, Plan B should have been in place. Shame!

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank eric h

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We value and appreciate your comments and can assure you that steps are or have been taken to improve in the areas mentioned. We do hope that you will return in the near future.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Been here since Thursday, only food to eat is buffet or pizza and burgers. Buffet is disgusting, beef stew was so tough couldn't chew it, pork chops were prepared in advance, and then reheated. We were then presented with the same pork chops the next night. Some staff are rude and arrogant. Will never come here again, or recommend this hotel.

Room tip: Don't waste your money on Sun wing, a lot of false advertising.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank carolsc19

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We took note of your comments and apologize for not being able to meet your standards. If you should decide to return, we will be more than happy to receive you.