“Great way to celebrate our 40th!”

Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Bartlett, Tennessee
“Great way to celebrate our 40th!”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

By husband and I decided to celebrate our 40th Birthdays this year with a trip to St. Martins and chose Sonesta Great Bay. We had the best time and everyone was extremely friendly and the room was spotless! All the employees were eager to help us, and the food was fine. Would definitely do it again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,564)
  • Hungarian first
Hermitage, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We just got back and had a great time. There were 12 of us from ages 15-55. When we first got there they had put us in a room with only a king size bed. Since I was with my spouse and daughter we had to request another room. This happened quickly. The room was a little run down but still nice. View was beautiful. If you do choose an ocean view make sure you ask to be above the second floor or you will not see the ocean. Food was very good. There was a variety. Desserts could be better. Drinks were not watered down and bartenders were really friendly. We were told we were there during the off season. Weather was still warm enough with a beautiful breeze. You could always find a pool chair. Denroy the activities person is absolutely the best. He made every day fun and you can tell he really enjoys his job. He got to know each of us and also introduced us to other people. He even adapted his games so everyone in our party could participate. He also gave us suggestions of other activities.Staff was very friendly. Phillipsburg is just a short walk down the beach. On our last day I had left all our bathing suits and my sandles on the balcony. The housekeeper found them, bagged them and brought them to the lobby before I even realized we left them. Very good customer service. We have been to 3 other all-inculsives and this is the first place I have said I would return to. Can't wait to return!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Roberta6558
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed at Sonesta Great bay beach resort with my family for 1 week. The view from the ocean view room is amazing. My husband and I loved running on the beach in the morning. The location of the resort is ideal, well if you love to shop lol. The main shopping strip is aa few minutes walk from the resort or you could take a taxi (we preferred to walk and explore). People are very friendly, hence, the reason it's St Maarten is know as the friendly island. The staff at the resort were very friendly. We enjoyed bingo with Denroy, and my mom and mother in law especially enjoyed water aerobics with him lol.
We would definitely visit St. Maarten again, wish it was sooner than later.

Room Tip: Make sure you choose ocean view you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lake Wylie, South Carolina
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed in the timeshare portion of the resort using our RCI points. Our first studio unit had a barely working A/C and strong odor. After two conversations with the front desk, the first being to send a repairman, we moved to another unit on the same floor. Now a half day of our vacation was gone... but the A/C and odor was better. The timeshare side of the Sonesta/Royal Islander Great Bay is just average; can't speak to the Sonesta hotel portion of the resort because we didn't see those rooms. If booking through RCI, I recommend looking at Divi Little Bay or Royal Islander La Plage. We have stayed at Divi before and were pleased and toured the RI La Plage on our last day and it looked nice too.
We did enjoy the next afternoon at the beachfront pool and pool bar. We met folks staying in the hotel portion of the resort and didn't hear of any complaints other than the food, part of the all-inclusive package, wasn't great. I believe the hotel side has been redone in the last few years so those rooms may be a different experience.
The resort is in a good location if you are looking to stay in Philipsburg. It's a short walk to Front Street and the boardwalk restaurants, casinos and shopping.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank GoTigerz
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at Sonesta Great Bay Resort & Casino with my sister and my parents. We had two ocean view rooms with two double beds in each room. The cleaning service was good and we and no problems with the towels. They also had big beach towels near the pool. The buffet in the morning was this best, lunch and dinner had good days and great days. The snack bar was amazing and fries, burgers and hotdogs for lunch and the pizza was really, really good. They even made donuts on some days. They also have two restaurants that are open for dinner, which we enjoyed. The ocean was amazingly beautiful but the sand on this beach was hard on the feet. All the staff was very friendly and helpful. Denroy from the animation team was great. We enjoyed all the games that he organized, he was full of energy and you can tell he likes his job. Denroy also gave us advice on things to do outside the resort and place to eat. This resort is close to lots of shopping and great places to eat. At night they have different bands and they organized a disco a couple times a week. Finally, we took the bus to visit the sister resort, Sonesta Maho and we had no regrets. The food at this resort was really good. We made many memories on this vacation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Isabella D
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed at the Sonesta Great Bay Resort with some friends earlier this month and we all had a great time. This resort is in an excellent location with lots of shopping and great food. I would go back to this resort any day. The food at the buffet was good but I have to say that the pizza at the snack bar was amazing. Are room was clean and we had clean towels every day. The ocean at this resort was incredibly beautiful but my only complaint would have to be the sad on this beach. It’s more like really small sea shell and they hurt the feet. The staff was very helpful and made are stay memorable. I have to thank Denroy the animation team supervisor for making are vacation at this resort so much fun. He organized fun games, played good music and gave us great advice on things to do on the island. We also visited the sister resort and the food was really good. It was exciting to see the plane’s landing and taking off that close. This was a great vacation!

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I really enjoyed my time at Sonesta Great Bay!! A group of my friends and I stayed there June 3-June 9. This time period is their off season, but I felt that it was perfect! There were always pool chairs available at any time of the day! The food was great and the workers were all very helpful and kind. Each day had a different theme which made the trip more interesting! The animators on the were awesome especially DenRoy! He made our stay more fun with the many games he presented us. You can tell he really loves his job and he is great at what he does!!

The only change I would make is for the pool bar to open earlier and stay open later!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank DanielleK0927
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,256 reviews

Been to Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!