“Sonesta Great Bay Sint Maarten”

Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and I were at the Sonesta the week of July 8 -13. We had a wonderful time. The staff was very accommodating and went out of their way to make our stay a very pleasant one. The food was good and the servers went above and beyond to make sure our dining experience was all we had hoped for. We appreciated Denroy's helpfulness and friendliness. Our room was comfortable and clean as was the whole resort. We would recommend the Sonesta for a great laid back vacation spot, especially since it is our understanding that a much needed face lift is scheduled for this fall.

Room Tip: Request a room at the Miramar Wing. It is secluded and quiet.
1  Thank Lovetogarden52
Write a ReviewReviews (4,333)

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Service was really nice, great food and drinks. The view is gorgeous from the ocean view room.
However it is true that the hotel is a little dated, but when i thought about the location...it is the best in Philipsburgh.
Bottom line- if you are looking for luxurious hotel this one is not a good choice, but if you want to have a great time this is one of the best places in St Maartin

Room Tip: Choose 3rd floor and up
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vani T
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have been putting off reviewing this since last July (2012). If you are on a budget & not expecting too much, then maybe this is the place to go. I first would like to say that Vicky & Gilberto had both gone out of their way to accommodate. There were one or 2 more that were very helpful & polite/nice as well. Some of the other staff make you feel like you are doing them a favor by being there. Elevator needs updates, won't go into details there). Worst issue is that the room smelled musty, so much that it affected my sinus' & asthma issues. The con is that is is close proximity to town to do some shopping, a short walk. If you need to take a cab, it is more expensive than most islands I have been on. The breakfast buffet closed earlier than the stated time a few times, or by the time we got there, food was cold. The food manager made us a new plate of food when we complained. Some of the restaurants weren't open, just certain nights. Food was average, as were the drinks. I am trying to be as nice as I can for this review. I filled out an online survey with our complaints & never got a response. Our friends & I made the best of the trip, we always make fun times when we are together, but this resort definitely needs some updates. THE MAJOR issue was the beach. The massage people/braiders: They don't use public restrooms. My husband & I only stayed on the beach for one day & this is the reason why. One of the massagers used the bushes on the beach (right near the chairs) to use the restroom. My husband & I got more than an eyefull... she came out of the weeds/bushes,pulling up her shorts (yuck yuck yuck) & without washing hands proceeds to go up to new beach arrivals to see if they wanted a massage. From then on, we stayed at the pool. GROSS! I was afraid to step foot on the beach again. When complained to the front desk about it, we were told they do not regulate the beach.

Room Tip: If you don't pay for ocean view, you will have a view of mountains & clothes hanging from th...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank IDontHave2Cook
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The hotel is extremely dated, you can hear everything in the halls and rooms, and sometimes things got really loud. We are still trying to get the damp smell out of our suitcases, and the rooms just smelt musty. All of our clothes ending up stinking too. The food was just okay, certainly nothing to write home about. I got the impression from some of the staff that they just didn't care what you had to say and that you were bothering them. That being said some of them were really nice. All and all, a great island, great views, we had great company but not so good a hotel. BEWARE.

Room Tip: Our ocean view was pretty good. Try the Maho.
1  Thank Deb1956_15
Reviewed July 12, 2013

There were 6 of us (26 and up) that my husband and I traveled with. We were looking for an affordable all inclusive, on the beach, and with good food. Sonesta Great Bay had all that to offer. It definitely is not a 5-star, but again the value for what you get is worth it. The staff was friendly and addressed our concerns. Denroy of the entertainment staff was especially awesome! We didn't have a choice but to get involved and have fun participating in the schedule activities. He even ate with us a few times. We had one day where it rained on and off and Denroy had us playing jumbo Jenga... Tons of fun!

Biggest pros- food, entertainment staff (Denroy), on the beach, swim up bar, clean, friendly staff, proximity to town

Biggest cons- needs updating (they are in the process), because of the updating we could not get rooms together, if you have room credits make sure you read the fine print, no shuttle to the sister resort in Maho

Ready to satisfy? - the Spa did not treat me that well (telling me they could do a pregnancy massage and then canceling, and then canceling my facial last min because of machine problems) we complained and wanted our $100 spa credit to go towards our stay... Manager Rosalie said she would handle that with the travel agent but our agent has not received anything yet. We were happy with her response at the time but she hasn't followed through yet.

Overall it was a great vacation and I'd recommend it to young adults looking for a budget all inclusive. It was affordable without feeling "cheap"

Room Tip: "The Apartments" are a bit of a walk from the lobby and restaurant. Ocean view is a jump...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Hate to say , this was our worst vacation ever. I gave it one star because of the island itself being nice enough, with nice beaches. but this hotel is the worst we have ever stayed at. Staff was less than friendly, the people that stock the in room fridge (not everyday by the way) left our door open one day. wifi is very expensive. and stall is less than helpful when you mention any problems or difficulties you may be having. Food is poor, one a la carte restaurant only that is only open a couple of nights, so you are stuck with the lackluster buffet, unless you want to take the short walk to philipsburgh and eat at a restaurant there. The staff at the sonesta maho is much nicer, we went for lunch one day, and the food was great there, don't know why they can't do it at both resorts. Rooms very dismal, and not entirely clean either. lots of issues too many to complain about on here. just beware if thinking of booking here.

Room Tip: we chose a king ocean view and were still disappointed,
3  Thank Lindsey M
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed at the resort from June 3rd to June 9th. My girlfriend and I went on vacation with a group of 6 our freinds and had a blast. Denroy from the animators really went above and beyond to make our stay awesome. There were plenty of chairs available at the pool and on the beach. The food was good and they had different themes for each night so nothing got boring. The resort is located right next to phillipsburg, it was a 10 minute walk down the beach to get there which was very convenient. The only change I would make to the resort would be to have the pool bar stay open later.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jon L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
#7 of 12 in Philipsburg
Holland House Beach Hotel
Holland House Beach Hotel
#2 of 12 in Philipsburg

Been to Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!