Sonesta Great Bay is a great place to travel if you are on a budget. It is a great value for your money! The location is perfect because it is only a ten minute walk to the town of Philipsburg and everyone on the island is very friendly. The tour desk did not really have much to offer but the dive shop was a different story. Leslie at dive encounters gave us great advice about what to visit on the island and she pointed us towards Pirate Tours. This tour was awesome and worth every penny! I highly recommend it if you like boats and you like to snorkel. It even includes a delicious lunch that you eat at a restaurant right on the beach! Although the hotel did not put us next to our friends like we requested, our rooms were clean and we had a nice balcony. The hotel overall was low key which is nice if you want a quieter vacation. There were always lounge chairs available at the pool and on the beach which was great! The entertainment during the day was excellent. It was a little more quiet at night. A special thanks to Denroy animations supervisor because he made our stay a lot more fun! He was the only person working there that was personable and went out of his way to make our stay better.
I enjoyed the food for the most part. I was a little disappointed because the website advertises three restaurants which was not the case. Most of the week only one restaurant was open and it was a buffet. The molasses restaurant was only open three days a week and the Italian restaurant was not open at all. I really enjoyed the tacos and gyros offered during lunch time. Every day was different for lunch so even though you are eating at the same restaurant you are not eating the same exact food because they switched it up every day. Breakfast was the only thing that was the same everyday.
All in all, this is a great place to stay if you want to spend time at St. Maartin and not put a hole in your pocket.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa is a serene Caribbean haven - and St. Maarten’s premier, limitless all-inclusive, adults-only resort. Delivering a new level of sophistication and style, the elegant destination hotel is situated on a mile-long white-sand beach, overlooking Great Bay and the sparkling sea. With endless amenities and personalized service, the resort invites guests to unwind at three swimming pools, four restaurants, four bars, a spa and the Golden Casino for the ultimate vacation experience complimented by stellar service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort And Casino
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Hotel Philipsburg
- St Martin Great Bay Hotel
- Sonesta Philipsburg
- Great Bay Beach Hotel
- Philipsburg Sonesta
- St Maarten Great Bay Hotel
- Hotel Sonesta Great Bay Beach
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa St. Maarten-St. Martin/Philipsburg