Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$80
$78
  • Beachfront
Holland House Beach Hotel(Philipsburg)(Great Value!)
$208
$145
$160
$128
  • Breakfast included
Pasanggrahan Royal Guesthouse(Philipsburg)(Great Value!)
$100
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Belair Beach Hotel(Philipsburg)
  • Pool
  • Free Internet
4,342 results
All reviewssonesta mahoswim up bargreat baylava rockbutler servicepizzaocean viewil pescatoreseafood restauranta la carte restaurantspool deckentertainment staffsister hotelall inclusivesspecial thanksoceanview roombeautiful island
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This time I was at Great Bay in April 2013 for 3 weeks. Home away from home.
Here is my feedback of the staff:
Rosalie is a kind person. She help the tourists to be at home. (sometimes it is hard).
Marcella is our best waitress. She takes care of you in every little details.
Camille, a waitress at Maho is the one. She is friendly and caring.
Patricia with her italian accent gives a something special in the morning and lunch.
Lina, at the omelette station, she knew after a few morning what you wanted.
Pauline is a fun person. At the manager party, she started dancing with us.
Vicki at the reception is very helpful.
This is that kind of staff that every hotel should have. Participating with the clients.
Keep up your great service.
The Mexican night, what a night.
ROOMS; VERY CLEAN
STAFF; FRIENDLY AND KIND
MANAGER PARTY; GREAT
THE ACCESS TO MAHO IS A MUST. STAY AT ONE AND PLAY AT TWO.

Room Tip: Ocean view is the best.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ceo denmar m
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This was our first stay at the Sonesta. I was a bit hesitant when reading the reviews - but decided to give it a try. We swapped our timeshare for a 2 bedroom through RCI. We were greeted by Vicky at the front desk who was very personable and helped us with everything we needed during our stay. She went above and beyond to make sure we were kept informed of the status of our requests - from taxi cab service, etc.. Since we were in a 2 bedroom unit - we were on the "Apartment" side of the resort. We were on the first floor which had a wonderful large patio that had a table with 4 chairs and another 4 lounge chairs. It was a nice area to chat with others. The unit itself had 3 full baths, small kitchen area, and living room area. All amenities that you would need were supplied. We chose the all inclusive which I have no complaints about. There was always a wide variety of choices every morning for breakfast, a lunch buffet daily and nightly theme nights. There was also a variety of entertainment every night - featuring nights with island dancing, bands, etc.. It usually started around 7 or 8 ---- and ran until 11 or 12. There was one night of Karaoke - which was actually very fun and entertaining! During the day - the animators keep the guests entertained with different activities. They will encourage you to participate but are not overly pushy. The pools are very well kept - and are crystal clear! The location is perfect - you are able to walk to downtown easily - via street or beach - about a 10-15 minutes away. I would suggest taking a cab at night - cost runs about $8/each way. I have to agree that the wait staff could pick up the pace a bit - I try to be on "island" time - but sometimes they seem to be crawling. I also have to agree with some of the comments in regards to the bartenders.......the girls at the pool bar do a nice job.....but the guys up at the bar by the buffet - are a bit grouchy - even when I try to entice them to be nicer with a generous tip! ;) I did use the spa for a manicure only - and the girls were very friendly and efficient in there. All in all ---- I would recommend the place ---- I would give it a solid 3.5 stars.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Resort is in need of a serious upgrade. Definitely not an upscale resort but I was hoping it would be clean and to my disappointment it was not. Our room was dirty and the back of the toilet was never wiped down and full of dust when we arrived and remained that way through out our stay. The bed comforter had many stains along with hair matted in it and I found a bug and candy wrapper in my made bed. I had to ask for refrigerator to be re-stocked. Every time we took a shower the bathroom flooded so we had to stand in water to blow dry our hair and put on makeup. The food was mostly good and I found something decent to eat at almost every meal. Just wish they had better desserts and anything cholcolate. It took us over an hour to check in and were told we could not get a pool towel because they were all being washed. Our room didn't have a lock in the safe and they said that is because they were booked. Why there isn't a lock for each room safe is beyone me. We kept our money in the safe of friends whom were in the apt side and far from us which made it very inconvenient. The entertainment was very good and I enjoyed the music, bands, djs and show, however I was afraid to dance because the ground was always wet and very slippery. I found the workers to be very rude and they did not go out of their way to help. They actually tried to look away and avoid making eye contact so they did not have to work. The bars were very short on staff ,service was slow everywhere and we could never find a cleared off table at the buffet restaurant our entire stay. We had to clear our own breakfast table every morning. Too many tables were left dirty and not cleared and cleaned by the staff, they just didn't care. The location of the hotel is very nice. Next to shopping and being able to see the cruise ships come in was nice. My experience was very different from some of the reviews on here and I would not go back to this resort in the future. TRAVELERS BEWARE!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This is a 3 Star hotel at most 3 and a half. Hotel needs some work in the Rooms as well as some sprucing up in the lobby area. The Location is excellent. Close to downtown which has been upgrated, walking distance to stores and restaurants. Great view of the cruise ships coming in, directly across the bay.
Hotel Staff need to be re-directed by Management in some training. This hotel seems to be top heavy in management, so desiginate a senior manager to retrain the staff.
The Front Desk personal, the chambermaids and were all very friendly.. The wait staff and the bartenders need a lot of upgrading
The Grille for Hamburgs, hot dogs and pizza was excellent for food. At night it becomes outside Italian Restaurant where the food still is great. Service is something to be desired. There was a large Group of us, but we did not all sit together ( our Choice) some received great service others not so good.
The beach front buffet was excellent for breakfast, fresh fruit ,pancakes, french toast, bacon, omlettes, etc. were plentiful and well displayed. Presentation at lunch time and selection of food could have been better. The English Pub night dinner in the Buffet could have been much better, as at the carving stations it seemed that the carvers were going to be allowed to take any leftovers home with them, as many people were complaining about the small thin one piece of beef they were being served. If you asked for more they just ignored you.
The bartending staff at all bar locations ( except in the Casino) seemed to be annoyed that people were ordering drinks. Also on the real busy nights like the Managers reception by the pool, they only had one bartender working at each bar. Does not make sense when the whole Hotel only has this option for dinner. This HOTEL is one of 2 that are all Inclusive and it is LOCATION<LOCATION<LOCATION>

Room Tip: If requesting an oceanview room request 3rd floor or higher >WE had people pay for an oceanview on 1st floor and all they could see was sand and chairs. They corrected this at the front desk the next day.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2013

THIS was the first vacation out of the states for myself and wife.We absolutely adorded the beautiful resort........rooms were clean and there were always available workers to help out with all our needs. Vicky the desk agent was outstanding and made our stay smooth and pleasurably enjoyable. We felt like we never left home given her great hospitality......we will definitely stay again and hope to see vicky's warm welcoming smile!! Ronald ALVES

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family