“great hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
New York City, New York
“great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

my wife and i were at sonesta great bay for a week , and i must say , it was the nicest place we have ever been , the people were so freindly ( staff & guests ) . we are already planning are 3rd anniversary for next year at sonesta . great place to visit .

Room Tip: any room is good . we were on the 3rd floor and had no problems at all .
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank joeyc22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,275)
Ancaster, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Having gone on numerous vacations throughout the Caribbean, my daughter and I were both impressed with the Island of St. Maarten. The natural beauty of the Island with it's mountainous terrain, many bays, harbours and beaches is truly a delight. My daughter found shopping in nearby Phillipsburg to be excellent in its choices of high end stores. It is a short walk from the resort to Phillipsburg by both the main street, or along the beach which is great to walk along without any plans for shopping.
We both found the Animators to be great fun and made our trip truly amazing! They organized great & entertaining events - loved the water arobics, poolside Bingo, Name that tune and of course the exciting (and our favorite) "Flip cup" championships!! Kudos to our fav animators Kevin and Denroy who made our vacation truly memorable. Marie was great get involved with the dancing / Kareokee in the disco. Michael at the lobby bar is a lot of fun and an excellent tour guide. Our fav poolside bartenders Nigel and newcomer AnnMarie straight from Amsterdam were super friendly and looked after us very well. Best open oven pizza in the oceanside Italian restaurant for lunch and great spot for dinner.
Not the most luxurious hotel we've stayed in, but the warmth, friendliess and good vibes made it a destinaion of choice for us
Great staff, great fun, great memories - we'll defiinitely be back!
Mrs Jones & Nicole

Room Tip: Delux Oceanview rooms well worth choosing. High floors give exceptional view of Great Bay, the pools...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank MrsJonesCanada
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

I was nervous having booked this trip through wagjag because I read mixed reviews on here. Let me start with positives. It is easy walk to town where I took the bus everywhere around the island. The ocean view was beautiful from my room and I loved watching the boats from the pool. Bartenders and entertainment staff were great at their jobs. As a single traveller I liked that the resort was small enough I could meet people easily. The food at buffet changed nightly and was great. Especially caribbean night. I liked the upstairs a la carte restaurant.Now for negatives- the Italian restaurant at night was not good. Too many people left and went to buffet. The only good thing on that menu was lasagna. The service at restaurants was slow. The flooring in one elevator needs to be replaced. Did any of the negatives have an effect on my vacation absolutely not. I will be back in a second if I find a good deal.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank francine_16
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I chose St.Maarten, Great Bay Resort and Casino as our Honeymoon destination. We chose to go to St. Maarten because of the great reviews from colleagues and friends. However, the reason we will go back is because of the friendly, knowledgeable staff. In particular Denroy. We not only enjoyed the rest and relaxation, but the fun events put on by the Animators. Everyday was filled with games, entertainment and lasting, unforgettable memories.

A huge Thank you to Denroy and his staff for the amazing vacation. We hope to see you next year!!!!

J.I.H.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Izabela B
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I recently returned from Great Bay (November 2012) and found my experience wonderful. I traveled with my husband and son (20 months), as well as other family members. This property was extremely clean and well kept. There were some struggles with rooms such that we had pre-booked our rooms however the hotel did not provide us those rooms however it did not ruin our holiday! My little one loved the pool, the playground and the beach. The dining staff were fabulous with all the little ones (three children under age 4) and would cook us different foods when the foods that were being served were not child friendly. Specifically the chef and sous chef always checked in to make sure we were taken care of. Our wait staff was fabulous- always having our table ready when we came for meals! The Animators were amazing with the children (Kevin and Denroy) were always around with a smile and being playful with the children.

My husband and I were at this same resort in 2009 and we found that they have worked hard to maintain the facility and have actually improved their food.

We will return soon!!

Room Tip: Make sure you get an ocean view room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank amsch
Minden, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

After having stayed at this resort several times in the past, my latest visit there in December 2012 was a bit of a disappointment. Although several of the older staff were great, many of the new and younger staff were not as friendly as expected. The cleanliness in the common areas left something to be desired. The rooms themselves were fine. The meals were OK with a welcome addition of a pizza bar (pizza was great!). Food could have been hotter, even in Molasses restaurant. The activity fellows were fun, encouraging us all to participate in a friendly manner. Frequent management changeover might have something to do with overall decrease in standards since my last visit in 2010. Probably won't be returning that quickly.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are the only way to go.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank GRIT22
Montevideo, Uruguay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We expected a lot more considering the package was with an "all inclusive resort".
It has nothing to do with an all inclusive. Actually, it was a 3 star hotel with 3 meals included. No dancing, no fun, no entertaining. Only bingo!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Grand Case Beach Club
Holland House Beach Hotel
Holland House Beach Hotel
#1 of 12 in Philipsburg
4.0 of 5 stars 644 reviews

Been to Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!