My husband and I booked the place after reading the reviews about the negatives, such as the service, broken ac, and okay reviews on food. We went to Turks and Caicos for our honeymoon then Jamaica too. This island and resort was on the bottom of our list in all areas.
First off service was pretty bad, if you read other reviews overall the restaurant and hotel staff are not there to please. The woman Vicky at the front desk is saved only because she changed our room that had no ac ... After I got upset. I'm six months pregnant and the male staff in the evening did not offer and would not make accommodations to change our room. The next day I had to make threats and be a bit more stern before we got a proper room with air.
Well the front desk staff was saved partially too only because after we moved rooms , my husband couldn't find his wedding band. They let us back in the room and low and behold it was left on our room floor and must have fell off.
We went to eat at the sister resort Maho and comparing beaches, this great bay resort is the better of the two.
Maho has lots of kids and was under renovation. But the buffet food in Maho was ok and their restaurant The Point was better than Molasses.
The location is just great and private pool side is by far better than the sister hotel. The food was just average and hours of service are not accommodating ; in addition, the service is consistently horrible. The servers don't want to be there and the only guy who wants to be there is the activities coordinator. Eh the rooms are ok as far as clean and updated. We asked for bottled water and the front desk kept saying they were out of it. Most things we asked for they also ran out, once we wanted a piña colada and they were out, I wanted ice cream from the molasses restaurant and they were out, tiramisu ... Out of it too.
The pool needs updating and fixing by the time share side; the shower doesn't even work there. Ps the towel lady is very mean, just like the rest of the staff.
The beach is what this place has going. My only complaint is that the music was almost always blasted when we were trying to relax poolside, what made up for that was the hidden gem of a pool after you pass the restaurant buffet.
For the location thumbs up. Service thumbs down and needs work. Food needs some more variety & could use better chef some meals.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa is a serene Caribbean haven - and St. Maarten’s premier, limitless all-inclusive, adults-only resort. Delivering a new level of sophistication and style, the elegant destination hotel is situated on a mile-long white-sand beach, overlooking Great Bay and the sparkling sea. With endless amenities and personalized service, the resort invites guests to unwind at three swimming pools, four restaurants, four bars, a spa and the Golden Casino for the ultimate vacation experience complimented by stellar service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Booking.com, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, BookIt.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Hotel.de, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort And Casino
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Hotel Philipsburg
- St Martin Great Bay Hotel
- Sonesta Philipsburg
- Great Bay Beach Hotel
- Philipsburg Sonesta
- St Maarten Great Bay Hotel
- Hotel Sonesta Great Bay Beach
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa St. Maarten-St. Martin/Philipsburg