Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
L'Esperance Hotel(Philipsburg)
  • Free Internet
Tamarind Hotel(Philipsburg)
4,341 results
All reviewssonesta mahoswim up bargreat baylava rockbutler servicepizzaocean viewil pescatoreseafood restauranta la carte restaurantspool deckentertainment staffsister hotelall inclusivesspecial thanksoceanview roombeautiful island
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I purchased the all-inclusive trip to Great Bay for 2012 as my husband and I go to the Caribberan every year a different island to celebrate his birthday (3/31) and our anniversary (4/1). We did not receive champagne or anything special for our 'special' occasion as we had on our other trips; however, we did receive a room on the condo/apartment side as opposed to water view hotel side. The room was lovely with a wonderful view away from the restaurant, etc.
The other positive was that they seem to be quite environmentally concsious as far as towels, bedding, water, etc. which we greatly appreciated and utilized.

The positives in our opinion are as follows: great views, great location for short walk to Phillipsburg, great shopping, fair food at buffet; good food at the one restaurant; pleasant staff overall with a few exceptions (guy at bar at buffett - should be fired period). Good strokes and Shout Out to Stanley at buffet and Patrizia (Ciao!) and Camille (hostess) and especially TJ at the front desk. The pool on apartment side never busy and very clean.

The negatives which IF you read these reviews will be constant - some staff with poor attitudes, water a bit rough for water sports we enjoy - wave runners, kayaks, etc.; no Pina Coladas at beach bar, restaurant La Cucina closed even though we had reservations and no one bothered to call us to tell us so we found out when we went to eat and the doors locked.

Overall - a nice trip but would not return as plenty of others out there that offer more for the same price or less. I would return IF Managers make changes to show they really do care.

What I really cannot understand is that IF the Managers read these reviews which of course they should - why oh why are they not taking care of some of these things? The reviews are quite consistent and the issues could be handled and changed and then the reviews would change bringing more business back to them along with referrals, etc. WHY???

Room Tip: We did NOT use room service nor the spa; our room on apartment side excellent, clean and quiet.
4  Thank DannaZMD
Reviewed April 18, 2012

My husband and I decided to try Sonesta for our honeymoon. We knew ahead of time that this wasn't going to be the typical "sandals" type of resort. We were pleasantly suprised to be in a ocean front room as we had booked a mtn view. Room/bathroom was clean. Dining facilities clean and staff was always helpful/friendly(with the exception of the front desk staff, I couldn't figure out why they were a little less than helfpul with any questions we had). The food was average. Felt a little bit like being on a cruise ship when it came to the same dining options each breakfast/lunch. DInner was a little better with lots of different choices. If you are a foodie and enjoy options and variety as well as independence in your food and dining times, I would not recommend the all inclusive option.
Overall, i would probably not stay here again myself as I would choose a more independent option but i would recommend this hotel for familes with children who want to have a simple beach/pool vacation with easy access to quick and decent meals.

Room Tip: Dont be afraid to request upgrades, especially for a special occasion
2  Thank Jennifer T
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Nice Hotel - Great view and location - Hotel to be congratulated on an amazingly friendly staff. Geneva (U ag uan,everytin eire - YS Falls), Virginia and Patrizia(Ciao) always had a welcoming smile as we sat down for our meals as did the other staff, but these ladies touched our hearts with warmth and great attitude. Mariana, Ola amiga, always a smile and pleasant as she went about her busy way cleaning rooms. The grounds are very well kept, hats off to Geneva's husband with a smile on his face he showed pride in his work. It was great to see the chef and sous chef actually check the buffet tables and also speak with the guests. The sous chef was amazing with the BBQ, very admirable young lady. Recommend and will return!!

Room Tip: all good - outdoors is the place to be
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Prainha32
gmgreatbay19, General Manager at Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

Thank you for the travel review, it is greatly appreciated. We value our guest feedback to consistently strive for the best in service. We will share your review with our staff you mentioned on the travel opinion.
with hospitality,
Juan- G.M

Reviewed April 14, 2012

We arrived at the Sonesta on 4/6/12 and as greeted by the bellman with a huge smile, once we got into our room which was ocean view we discovered that the air conditioning was not working. The repair service came twice problem not solved so we were given another room problem solved. The next morning breakfast was a a huge mess, now I am thinking about all the reviews I had read, staff unfriendly and diningroom problems from out of food, silverwear and lack of service. The problems ended from that moment on. We had the best time from that point on. I loved getting to know some of the staff as well as others guests. Would I RECOMMEND this resort to other YES YES YES

12  Thank debUpstateNY
Reviewed April 14, 2012

The view is worth your money. The staff is very friendly and the service is good, although I’d appreciate they would smile a little more as it seems like the locals as “serious” people :) I really missed the warmth of Dominican and Cuban people but I must say they always service you promptly and very well indeed.

The Hotel is clean and well maintained at all times. The food is well prepared and there are various themes running during the week that are very well organized and handle. It seems like no matter how many people arrive to the restaurant at one time it keeps going smooth.

There is one thing I MUST cautious others, I booked a tour to Anguilla ($120 pp) through Sunwing’s representative that was run by a guy called Alvin and used Fun Times’ boat that was considered a highway robbery to all 6 people who took the tour. There were no drinks, specially no water, included in the tour. The tour to the island of Anguilla was a 5 min trip to a bay and that’s it. The snorkelling advertised was by yourself on the beach with some semi-broken gears. They left us for 5 hours in a local restaurant by a beach in the middle of nowhere, remember even the water had to be purchased. The lunch was included, well the sample lunch with a teaspoon size of salad and a fruit punch. The Hotel offers the same tour at only $85 pp with drinks included all day long; unfortunately I listened to Natacha, our Sunwing rep, and bought hers instead...BIG MISTAKE.

I had purchased a second tour with the same company to St Barth that I cancelled immediately and they wanted to take 60% of my deposit...well needless to say that I had to speak with everybody in the island, it seemed, to get my deposit back in full.

Sunwing’s rep refused to give me her manager’s contact info but the hotel’s general manager was very helpful on this matter; he contacted the right persons and shared with me their contact details for me to follow up. Even after I left he stills monitors the situation and continues to help me find a proper resolution. I’m still trying to get my money back for the trip to Anguilla, let’s see !

In contrast I took a tour booked at the Hotel called “pirates” something and guided by a guy called Bob that was AMAZING, we had a lot of fun, the snorkelling was real, the drinks were included and the food was good. This trip was worth every penny of the $99 pp it costs and then some. They did offered what they advertised and Bob was an excellent entertainer and host.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are really nice.
9  Thank Ronel A