“Great Place... in 1988”

Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed July 17, 2007

The staff at Divi Little Bay was very cordial, and the beach and pools are nice. The beach's sand was a little darker than the Caribbean norm (e.g. not sugary) and there did not appear to be great snorkeling, but there was a lot of calm, shallow water (read= great for kids). The views were quite nice. I paid a bargain Priceline rate for a simple hotel room. Unfortunately for me I was "upgraded" to one of their apartments/ time share units. It was in very poor condition--rust in the bathroom, mold on the floor, broken lights, old newspaper filling in the part in the wall were the sliding door didn't fit. In other words, it seriously needed an upgrade. All the furnishings were from the late 1980s and early 1990s. I did peak in the hotel rooms and notice they were nicer. Bottom Line- I was happy for want I paid, it was a good deal, but I wouldn't splurge on a week's vacation to stay at Divi Little Bay.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hummingbird23

Reviewed July 16, 2007

Ok, let's start with I traveled during off season for the islands. The hotel is under construction and it was no big deal. They need to upgrade and they have to do it off season.
Hotel staff is the greatest, they are like family after all the years I have gone there. Leroy is the greatest bartender on the island.
The room was just redone and it was very nice. Island nice not ny nice. They are simple and clean.

Eat at Temptations at the Atlantis casino, one of the pricier restaurants but has all of the awards to go with it,
Location is fine, I love that you don't have to listen to the planes all day. Dutch side is the way to go. Not a fan of the French side but to each his own.

My best advice is remember you are going to an island and one of the nicest islands in the caribbean, If you want flashy stay home if you want to experience the true island talk with the locals they are more than happy to show you their home.

Can't wait to go next year!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tinkk23
Reviewed July 13, 2007

After reading quite a few reviews, some of which were terrible, we decided to take a chance and stay at Divi because of the reasonable cost. I made sure that I packed wash towels, mosquito repellent, etc. To our suprise, our stay turned out pretty well. Check in took about 5 mins and we were immediately given a tour of the resort on a golf card and thereafter dropped off at our room. We were shown the location of the shops, pools, etc. Our room was very clean and the furniture seemed to be in reasonably good condition.
On our first night, we experienced a clogged toilet. We called the front desk and it was taken care of within about 5 minutes. We rented a car so we were pretty much gone for the entire day, everyday. Everyday, on our return at the end of the day, our room was always clean with clean, fresh towels.
My few complaints are firstly, the cafe on the compound should stop selling pastries, especially desserts e.g. cakes that have been in the showcase way past the shelf life. I purchased a slice of cake and when I got back to my room and stared to eat it, it was dry, hard and old. Since I paid over $3 for it, I decided to return it and was told that I couldn't get my money back or get the slice of cake changed. Of course I was pretty upset and voiced my opinion and eventually got the sliced changed. Of course the new slice was not any better. Thereafter, we did not purchase any food items on the compound. Another complaint is that despite the fact that our room was always cleaned, on the third day of our stay, when we got back to our room at the end of the day the room had a strange smell/odor, almost like dirty,old clothes. We realized that the housekeeper was most probably using the same bucket of water to mop the floor over several days. The odor was so bad that we had to turn on the fan and open the sliding door to try to get rid of the smell. On the plus side though, we never had to use the mosquito repellent. Generally, we found that the Divi is by no means luxurious but is pretty good for the cost. Location was not a problem because we rented a car. We like the fact that it was close to Phillipsburg too. If you visit St Martin, a great place to eat is Lee's Roadside Grill in the Simpson Bay area. We ate there almost everday, great food,especially the fish, and reasonable prices. Also, if you get a chance, take the ferry to Anguilla and visit Shoal Bay......... fabulous beach!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Trinisis803
Reviewed July 8, 2007

My wife and I visited for our honeymoon last year. We stayed in the hotel but our impression was that it was really a sideline designed to draw people towards Divi's main interest . . . timeshare!

We had no choice over the hotel as it was part of the package we chose through Kuoni. However, I made a complaint to Kuoni afterwards as I felt misled by their brochure. Below is my honest assessment of the hotel.

Pros:
Lovely beach
Our room overlooked the beach
Leaving the hotel to sail on the Star Clipper!

Cons:
Returning to the hotel after sailing on the Star Clipper!
Check in took an eternity . . . !
Lack of communal facilities
Poor location for getting around the island
Hotel shops are a rip off!
Lack of customer service - we requested assistance with our bags to the front desk, after waiting 10 mins I gave up waiting.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Quality1st
Reviewed June 18, 2007

Just returned on 6-16 from a week at Divi Little Bay Resort. We had a studio about halfway up the hill with a nice ocean view. The room was large, there was a nice bathroom with a whirlpool tub (which, in Carribbean heat, I never used.) If you look at the pics on "harpers" review, you will see how the room actually looks. I liked the location of this resort, close to Philipsburg but not right on the highway where there always seems to be lots of traffic.
Room was very clean, air conditioning worked great. We were really close to the infinity pool and used it when we didn't want to do the beach. I would say, don't get a room too close to this pool as some people are loud down there late at night.
They are a timeshare resort but they aren't obnoxious about getting you to attend the meeting.
Plenty of beach chairs, even when a cruise ship would bring some of their people in to use the beach for the day.
Only ate in the restaurant once, it was kind of expensive. They add a 15% service charge on everything, I could never figure out if this was the tip or not. I got a different story from a resort worker than I did from restaurants downtown.
They had security guards, I don't know how much they did but their presence made me feel better! Also, they have nice little safes in each room, we always used ours when we were out.
There isn't tons to do on St. Martin but if you want a relaxing and beautiful week in the Carribbean, this is a great place. I hope to get back there some day.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank goldiep
Reviewed June 2, 2007

We just arrived home from staying a week at Divi Little Bay Beach Resort. It has been one of the best vacations that I have taken in the Caribbean because you are not hassled as much i.e. locals trying to sell you stuff on the beach or women grabbing your arms to pull you into their market area. In the beginning we were a little skeptical to book this resort, due to all the negative reviews, but come on of course you are going to see mold here and there and warping furniture (only the sink draws and kitchen draws). It’s the Caribbean and although the weather is nice year round it is humid very humid. The studio we stayed in was large (room 233) we meet another couple who stayed in room 323, which was two buildings away from us, there room was a studio as well just decorated in a different décor and updated a bit with no visible mold or warping of wood. There were no bed bugs and the beds were just right for us but that may be because we like firmer beds. The kitchen was fully stocked with all sorts of utensils and supplies minus coffee filters (you have to bring your own or buy them). Rooms were cleaned daily and if you needed something you could call the front desk. Just keep in mind they are on island time so don’t be in a hurry to get it. I did read a lot of reviews regarding snobbish staff members. Well there not I just think there is a language barrier between some, so be clear when asking for things. The only disappointment with the resort would have to be the restaurants, they are expensive and do not offer the array or quality of food you would expect. Their hours of business are also limited which is very frustrating when you are hungry. The resort is making every effort to keep things looking fabulous and they are currently remodeling the units along the Great Bay side which face Philipsburg and the hotel ocean front rooms that face Little Bay. Some of the pictures I have seen of the hotel rooms due not due them justice. From what I saw the hotel rooms with double beds have clean white down comforters with updated furniture and drapes giving the room a very modern spa feeling. Last but not least the beach was great and if you are adventurous you can snorkel along the rocks and see an array of ship wreaks including an old submarine.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
9  Thank phacd15
Reviewed May 31, 2007

I have stayed at Divi Little Bay numerous times. This is a great resort, wonderful beach, very friendly staff, great location, good security, close enough to Philipsburg you can walk into town. In addition, they are remodeling and upgreading all rooms and suites. In
my opinion, this is one of the nicest resorts in St Maarten considering location etc. If you don't like the above, then probably you should stay at home because you will not like resorts on any of the islands.....

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tswtexas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
#2 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
#3 of 8 in Oyster Pond

Been to Divi Little Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!