“Divi Sweet Divi . . . !” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
London, England
“Divi Sweet Divi . . . !”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2007

My wife and I visited for our honeymoon last year. We stayed in the hotel but our impression was that it was really a sideline designed to draw people towards Divi's main interest . . . timeshare!

We had no choice over the hotel as it was part of the package we chose through Kuoni. However, I made a complaint to Kuoni afterwards as I felt misled by their brochure. Below is my honest assessment of the hotel.

Pros:
Lovely beach
Our room overlooked the beach
Leaving the hotel to sail on the Star Clipper!

Cons:
Returning to the hotel after sailing on the Star Clipper!
Check in took an eternity . . . !
Lack of communal facilities
Poor location for getting around the island
Hotel shops are a rip off!
Lack of customer service - we requested assistance with our bags to the front desk, after waiting 10 mins I gave up waiting.

• Liked — Beach front location
  • Disliked — Unhelpful staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Quality1st

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (701)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Redding,CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2007

Just returned on 6-16 from a week at Divi Little Bay Resort. We had a studio about halfway up the hill with a nice ocean view. The room was large, there was a nice bathroom with a whirlpool tub (which, in Carribbean heat, I never used.) If you look at the pics on "harpers" review, you will see how the room actually looks. I liked the location of this resort, close to Philipsburg but not right on the highway where there always seems to be lots of traffic.
Room was very clean, air conditioning worked great. We were really close to the infinity pool and used it when we didn't want to do the beach. I would say, don't get a room too close to this pool as some people are loud down there late at night.
They are a timeshare resort but they aren't obnoxious about getting you to attend the meeting.
Plenty of beach chairs, even when a cruise ship would bring some of their people in to use the beach for the day.
Only ate in the restaurant once, it was kind of expensive. They add a 15% service charge on everything, I could never figure out if this was the tip or not. I got a different story from a resort worker than I did from restaurants downtown.
They had security guards, I don't know how much they did but their presence made me feel better! Also, they have nice little safes in each room, we always used ours when we were out.
There isn't tons to do on St. Martin but if you want a relaxing and beautiful week in the Carribbean, this is a great place. I hope to get back there some day.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — high price in bars and restaurants
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank goldiep
Topeka, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2007

We just arrived home from staying a week at Divi Little Bay Beach Resort. It has been one of the best vacations that I have taken in the Caribbean because you are not hassled as much i.e. locals trying to sell you stuff on the beach or women grabbing your arms to pull you into their market area. In the beginning we were a little skeptical to book this resort, due to all the negative reviews, but come on of course you are going to see mold here and there and warping furniture (only the sink draws and kitchen draws). It’s the Caribbean and although the weather is nice year round it is humid very humid. The studio we stayed in was large (room 233) we meet another couple who stayed in room 323, which was two buildings away from us, there room was a studio as well just decorated in a different décor and updated a bit with no visible mold or warping of wood. There were no bed bugs and the beds were just right for us but that may be because we like firmer beds. The kitchen was fully stocked with all sorts of utensils and supplies minus coffee filters (you have to bring your own or buy them). Rooms were cleaned daily and if you needed something you could call the front desk. Just keep in mind they are on island time so don’t be in a hurry to get it. I did read a lot of reviews regarding snobbish staff members. Well there not I just think there is a language barrier between some, so be clear when asking for things. The only disappointment with the resort would have to be the restaurants, they are expensive and do not offer the array or quality of food you would expect. Their hours of business are also limited which is very frustrating when you are hungry. The resort is making every effort to keep things looking fabulous and they are currently remodeling the units along the Great Bay side which face Philipsburg and the hotel ocean front rooms that face Little Bay. Some of the pictures I have seen of the hotel rooms due not due them justice. From what I saw the hotel rooms with double beds have clean white down comforters with updated furniture and drapes giving the room a very modern spa feeling. Last but not least the beach was great and if you are adventurous you can snorkel along the rocks and see an array of ship wreaks including an old submarine.

• Liked — The Ocean View
  • Disliked — The Restaurants
9 Thank harper2503
houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2007

I have stayed at Divi Little Bay numerous times. This is a great resort, wonderful beach, very friendly staff, great location, good security, close enough to Philipsburg you can walk into town. In addition, they are remodeling and upgreading all rooms and suites. In
my opinion, this is one of the nicest resorts in St Maarten considering location etc. If you don't like the above, then probably you should stay at home because you will not like resorts on any of the islands.....

• Liked — Wondreful location
  • Disliked — nothing
2 Thank tswtexas
Louisville,KY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2007

Here is my rather lengthy but detailed & informative review.I had read reviews before I went to Divi and was actually a little scared but decided for the price and location to chance it anyway and boy am I glad I did! My husband and myself just returned from one of the best vacations EVER. Our room was absoultley stunning. We had a junior suite (room 331 building F) that overlooked the little bay. It was at the end so down below us was the cliff and rocks no beach which we loved. It allowed us to be completely private on our balcony. It is a little further from the restaurants but not like its a hike or anything. People had complained about the water pressure, secret that we found is that the ONLY time you lose water pressure is between like 9-12 in the morning when the maids are cleaning the rooms, and thats because they do a really THOROUGH job doing it so answer to problem take your shower before or after there done. It was completely peaceful there we were not bothered by anyone and everyone was extremely friendly both staff and guests. They meal choices aren't that great but aren't bad either. What we did was the first night we got there was went down to the market and got some food (which was reasonably priced)like bread, bolonga, cokes,etc. and kept them in the fridge in our room,that away if we didn't like what they were serving for dinner or whatever we just ate in our room. Another note the prices aren't outrageous. If you have ever been to any other islands (like the caymans or even jamaica) it is really cheap compared to them even at the resort. Souvieners though take a cab (about $8/us) and go into Philisburg and go to front street and get shirts,etc.. also diamonds,jewelry is REALLY cheap there. For anyone interested too Marlboros are $60/case yes I said CASE 5 cartons, budweisers,Heinenkens, are really cheap too. Jack Daniels is like $10 for a fifth and $18 for a liter. All of this is on front street though so go there your first day if you want any of these for the duration of your trip.
Also people complained about the cats, yes there are a few cats we counted 8 on our side but they do not bother you and they chase the birds so you dont have seagulls crapping all over your deck or your while your sunbathing or worse eating. As far as watersports the have EVERYTHING and cheap to well I know jetskis are they are $45 half and hour and $80 hour compared to other islands again CHEAP! just so you know though there is no trim button on the jetskis.
Last thing here as far as the negatives about theft we never seen anything or had any problems. There is an inroom safe (was in our room) and we never felt afraid at night. We would go walking at night at were never bothered. There is a security guard that sits at the post at the main gate and we seen several security guards walking around. The crowd was older with a few newleyweds which we LOVED!!! Any other questions please email me and I will let you know our opionions of the resort. I have already referred SEVERAL people there,including my parents which are going soon.

• Liked — Our room had an AMAZING view of Little Bay
  • Disliked — Nothing everything was amazing
9 Thank sunflowercrazy
Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2007

Enjoyed a week at this lovely resort in mid March of this year.
It was very nice and relaxing. We had stayed at a Divi resort in Barbados last year 1/06 and had a bad experience so when I emailed Divi our problems ( as they requested feedback) they kindly offered us a week with 6 months advance request so we chose St. Martin. It was truly very nice. We had a very nice, spacious 3rd floor condo with wonderful view of the bay...some had beach views. You could tell it recently had been updated and they said they still had some work to complete but that was no problem. It was not 5 star but very comfortable and quiet and truly enjoyed it...
Everyone was very helpful and courteous...food at their restaurant quite good, wine and cheese parties, dancing, etc. The beach was spectacular!! Calm and lovely. A couple days cruise ships had a group in another part of the beach but didn't bother us at all.
We would definitely stay there again!! This was the dutch side, had stayed on the french side 3 days prior and enjoyed that too - a few more upscale restaurants but more expensive.
Divi is very close to the shopping/pier area and cruise ships in most days. A car is good to get around and see other parts of the island. If you are contemplating a stay here we can recommend it.

Stayed March 2007
6 Thank inthemoment
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2007

My girlfriend and I got a great deal on flight and hotel: 4 nights 5 days, under $700 each on Orbitz. Shop around and book early (we booked right before christmas)

The hotel:
We had a run-of-the-house room with a balcony facing the beach. The room was clean, beds were comfortable. We like to explore, so we only used the resort as a home base. I recommend renting a car and exploring the French side of St. Martin for all the great cuisine, beaches, and sightseeing.

The resort was what you would expect for 2-3 stars. They had 3 different pools-One for the hotel side, one in the middle of the resort, and one by the time-shares.

We don't gamble much, but there are a ton of casinos on the Dutch side. They are not too impressive if you've ever been to Las Vegas or even Atlantic City!

Good:
We had dinner (our only meal there) the first night there (Thursday) Outdoor bbq buffet (Mahi Mahi was excellent), food and fashion show. They had a few outdoor vendors set up for a night time street market feel. My girlfriend doesn't like buffets, but enjoyed this one.

We used the gym every morning and ran up the hill to the historic fort where Peter Stuyvesant, governor of New Amsterdam (NYC), lost his leg.

We booked a horseback riding excursion with the activities desk, they were very helpful and friendly.

Great balcony view of the beach. Steps away from the beach.

When I was researching, I noticed that some reviewers complained about tourists. We stayed Thursday-Sunday. We had the whole place to ourselves, no sign of tourists. It was peaceful.

There is a safe in the room.

The guavaberry alchohol is cheaper at Divi Bay then at the Guavaberry
store on Front St. But I still recommend going to the original Guavaberry store. They will make you complimentary guaveberry coladas
and have you try their hot sauces with chips.

Nicely located on the island. Close enough to the airport, near front
street (you can walk, but do so at your own peril along the highway) We spent all out time on the French Side.

The price was right.

Bad:
There were a few mosquitoes that got through the screen porch door.

When we first checked in, they put us in a room with 2 queens. I called down to the front desk, and informed them that we had booked a King room. They said none were available and the hotel was fully booked. After a few calls back and forth, they finally moved us down the hall to a King room. (We found a bottle of wine in our room the next day as an apology? although no note was attached.)

They have this weird, inconvenient beach towel policy that you must give them a towel pass (you receive upon check-in), and are only allowed 1 per person. If you want a new one, you have to walk to the end of the beach to the towel hut and exchange your wet towel for a new one.

Once again with the towels-They do not change out the towels in the room and bring fresh ones. We would shower in the morning, come back in the evening to clean up from the beach, and we would have to call down for towels. usually, housekeeping was gone (at 8pm?) TIP: grab as many fresh towels as you can. If you see the housekeepers, ask them for a few extras and stash them.

Explore the island and have fun! We had an amazing time, and found lots of romantic places to drink, eat and soak in the ambience.

• Liked — The balcony view right on the beach
  • Disliked — no towels, mosquitoes
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
10 Thank VertigoSeoul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Alamanda Resort
#4 of 8 in Orient Bay
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino

Been to Divi Little Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!