“Loved it!”

Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed March 17, 2010

The turn onto the road that takes you to the front gate of Divi is impossible to find your first time here, but once you find the resort and get past the interminably slow and unreliable island service (front desk was appalling during out entire stay), the hotel is pretty much spot-on perfect for St. Maarten. You get the beauty of the Caribbean without it being too fussy or touristy. It isn't luxury, but it is paradise.
Resort & amenities: The villas lie on a peninsula with Fort Amsterdam at the end; Little Bay is to one side and Great Bay to the other -- yYou can't go wrong either way you look. We had a beach-front villa and both our LR and BR had (fenced) patios that were less than 6 feet from Little Bay beach. Keep in mind that all beaches are public, so people do show up, literally, at your doorstep by 8 or 9am! There were several beautiful pools to choose from, including an infinity pool, but none were heated, so it turned out to be way too cold to swim in December. The resort is actually quite large and stretches along a lot of Little Bay, where the water is warm and the sand is soft. One of the lovelier beaches we visited on SXM so far, and it is unbelievable that it is right on your doorstep.
We liked the beach towel service at the resort, though the kiosk was not open during the most convenient of hours (opens late, closes early). However, it was much better than the water sports shack, where the jet ski guy did not bother to come into work several of the days we were there. Thus, we never got to rent jet skis. Also, my husband rented snorkel equipment for a day, which they mistakenly took back to their shack, but they never replaced his set. A little haphazard, to say the least. They have at least one restaurant/bar, but we did not try it. With so many great places to eat on the island, we opted to venture further afield. The activities desk was not so helpful in providing info or helping us book boats to nearby islands; they were much more focused on trying to book us on timeshare presentations.
Accomodations: The unit was pretty new and both the LR and BR had pull-out couches, so our 1BR unit could comfortably fit a family of up to 6 (it had 2 full bathrooms). The bathrooms were updated and roomy. Our unit also had a washer/dryer -- very handy if you're going to the beach each day -- and the kitchen was well-enough equipped that we could make frozen drinks (blender!) and warm up loaves of frozen bread to go with our wine&cheese. There is an exercise room on-site, as well as a spa. We used the spa for a few things, and it was nice enough. There is also a convenience store with a business center where you can buy Internet minutes -- very useful when we were checking in for our departure flights.
Mosquito infestation was a huge problem in December, but the pests are slow enough that if you are patient and quick, you can kill a lot of them. I believe my husband, designated mosquito hunter, killed somwhere between 50-100 mosquitoes with his bare hands during our week-long stay. We bought a canister of bug spray, but that did not seem to help. By the last two days of our trip, though, we had been pretty much cleared them out and were able to sleep through the nights without being attacked.
Location: From the resort, is a short drive to a fabulous Grand Marche where you can stock up on all sorts of food and drink imaginable. The location was also easy enough to drive to Marigot or Phillipsburg or Grand Case or Simpson Bay -- very managable once you begin recognizing the various roundabouts on the island's main road.
This is our 2nd time on SXM and we loved this resort. I'd definitely want to stay here again.
I feel that the island is very family-friendly and this resort fits right in with that. It is equally perfect for a romantic getaway for two, and you could probably do fine in a studio unit if it is just the two of you (I didn't visit any studio units, though, to see if they were on par with our 1BR unit).

• Stayed: December 2009
2  Thank NYCgirl2007
There are newer reviews for Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Reviewed March 13, 2010

The wife and I were looking to try someplace new and found an RCI exchange available for the Divi Little Bay. We went in April (2009) and the weather was fantastic. I think we had 1 day with rain but it lasted all of about 30 min and it was clear and sunny afterwards.
Getting from the airport to the Divi takes about 25 min., depending on traffic and whether the bridge was up for boat traffic. We used a local taxi and it was not that much (forgot exact price) but we did a great driver who gave us a lot of the local info and some historic perspectives on the areas we were driving through.
Arrived at the Divi and we were welcomed warmly and checked in for the timeshare. We ended up staying on the Philipsburg side of the peninsula. The room was a brief walk from the check in area but the bell boy gave us and our luggage a ride in one of the shuttle golf carts. 1 bdrm room on second floor was clean, well lit and had a great view of Philipsburg and the cruise ship docks. The room had a slider to a big balcony and a full kitchen with granite countertops and cherry cabinets. Air conditioning throughout the room and had a large bathroom with separate shower and bathtub. Unpacked and walked around the property. There's a beautiful area up the walkway that goes to the top of a hill that used to be an old lookout/fort area. Fantastic view of Little Bay and Philipsburg. Wife and I had a little picnic up there while we were at the Divi for the week. Keep an eye out for the wild chickens.. ;)
The Divi has a nice snack bar/restaurant on this side of the property with a small pool. There's a beachside walkway that goes back towards the main building and the main beach. Standard gym (small) but we are not "let's go on vacation to go to the gym" kind of people so never really paid attention to equip and condition. They have a small spa but we didn't do that either (think pure rest and relaxation :) ). A decent convenience tore carrying most brands of junk food and some good beer (yay for Red Stripe :) ). You can get breakfast and lunch sandwiches made there and coffee, croissants, etc. Back behind the main building is where there's a bar area and the main restaurant. Very good food and awesome service. The servers/waiters are warm and friendly if you're not an [--] and are warm and friendly to them. One of the nights they had a a turtle race and a really nice BBQ that is very much worth attending. My turtle actually won and I got a huge bottle of Vodka.. yay for me :) Actually I'm not a vodka guy so I gave it to one of our housekeepers who was a sweetheart. For the rest of the time we were there the lady would bring us local roasted chicken and rice and beans!! Heaven!!
The hotel is located very close to Philipsburg so it's easy to grab a taxi and go down to the main town... can get very busy when the big cruise ships are in but it's a fun place. lots of places to drink and eat. Lots of jewelry and watch stores.. so bring lots of money .. lol....
During the week we went to the Zee Best Breakfast place in Simpson Bay. AWESOME breakfast! Out on the patio with very good coffee and awesome omelets and french toast. My wife loved it. If you are a splurger go ahead and dig into the pastry breakfast they bring right when you sit down. Just know that they are extra .. not free ;) It's a must place to eat breakfast when you are there. If you walk a bit further down towards the marina you can see some million dollar boats/yachts.. and work off the calories from the good breakfast :) During the week we decided to go to the french side of the island to Orient beach. We called the taxi driver who drove us from the aiport and he was quick to pick us up and take us to his "favorite place" to eat and people watch on Orient Beach. Was a good restaurant and the taxi guy knew some people (he probably got a kickback but it was well worth it) there who got us beach chairs on the front row nearest the water and towels.. etc. Great service and awesome food. People watching was good.. yes.. some nudity.. but unfortunately very few were actually good looking ;) lol... again.. awesome time there and definitely worth seeing if you are in St Maarten for a week or more.
Well... in summary, my Wife and I had a blast and really enjoyed it there. Just enough rest and relaxation mixed in with some "see the sites"... The Divi earns a 4-star review from us. The facilities were good.. very orientated towards timeshare and not a "hotel", so be aware of that if it's important to you. Warm and friendly people. A bit pricey .. but hey.. it's a vacation.. splurge a bit :) I strongly recommend the Divi and we'll be heading back once we've seen the other 1000 places around the world we plan on seeing :)

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nuth
Reviewed March 9, 2010

Spent 5 days for the second time last week at Divi. I love it there! My family owns a time share at the resort, and I go to relax and get sun! It is the best place to go to chill out and soak in the island vibe. I love to wake up early and use the work out room, then take a swim in the sea to their floating dock where I love to bask in that healing sunshine! It's also great to chill out by the pools during the day, and drift away to the soothing sounds of the sea. The poolside dining is great-I love also shopping in Marigot at the open market, for fresh fish and veggies, then using the kitchen in our room to prepare a feast! The evenings are relaxing, a walk to the hammocks is fun, as well as a nightime dip in one of the pools! A great place to chill out, relax and rejuvinate. It's secluded and quiet, and you feel at ease at Divi. It's hard to leave! I can't wait to get back there!!!

4  Thank funlover21
Reviewed February 27, 2010

First time visit to the island. We travel a lot so we've seen it all.The resort is fabulous and in a great location. The food served in the restaurants is excellent but a little pricey. St- Maarten seems to have followed the lead of the cruise industry whereas they automatically charge a 15% service fee to each bill. They even add a "rollover" tax....whatever that means? My only complaint is about the welcoming staff at the front desk. They seemed uninterested in helping us once the paperwork and the credit card imprint was obtained. With 4 heavy suitcases at hand, for our 2 week stay, we were given a resort map and sent on our way. Our room was on the top floor and furthest away from the front desk which is fine but for 2 seniors (one with 2 complete knee replacement surgeries) we were rudely told to stand by the curb, in the hot afternoon sun, and wait there for help. After waiting 20 minutes, not one person came to help us. Eventually, I just took the map and lugged our suitcases uphill to try and find our room. The map was a little confusing but eventually we found our unit. It's obvious that these people working the front desk don't care about there guests. After 2 weeks, we learned that things are not always as they seem. Taxi stand on-site is not always staffed. I had booked an early deep-sea fishing trip. I wanted to take a cab at 6am to get to Philipsburg on time. Not a soul to be found??? No one around but the guard at the main entrance. Made my way up there but he couldn't help me. Panicking that I would miss the boat, I had to run back to my unit to phone a cab.
Another letdown was the on-site activities. I showed up early for one activity and again......not a soul around???
The only really bright star at this resort is at the excursion/activities desk.......her name eludes me at the moment.........but she is a gem.....courteous, polite and very very helpful.
English is spoken everywhere on the Dutch side and the American currency is accepted everywhere. Cabs are plentiful so you usually never have to phone for one when in the towns.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tobahunter
Reviewed February 25, 2010

Beautiful time share with nice and clean rooms. Great pools and good snorkeling. Beach is a bit rough, but generally nice place. Recommend renting a car!

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hezzrozz
Reviewed February 25, 2010

My husband and I chose this resort because of the proximity to Phillpsburg. The resort is spectacular. We had a mix up with our room the first night but we got that straightened out the next morning with a free upgrade for the confusion. We are in our 30s and we were among the youngest at the resort. It was fine by us because we wanted a quiet and relaxing vacation spot. Most of the units are all time share owned and the younger crowd is only there during the school vacation week. There is really no night life at the resort besides the outside bar. We ventured down the beach to the resort next door one night for their entertainment. We walked into town everyday and enjoyed the exercise. Shopping is great at the resort and the grocery store has a lot to offer.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SaaraL2
Reviewed February 22, 2010

The bad news: We just spent 10 days at Divi and were surprised that the resort basically caters to the time share owner and NOT the hotel guest. Most of the politeness was aimed at those that were returning villa owners. Not an ounce of night life. Everyone parties in their villa, I guess.
The good news: the most beautiful beachfront balcony ever!! The waves were awesome, not the usual mini waves seen in most of the caribbean islands. Just a beautiful site! Also, great walking....we walked to Phillipsburg every day, (quite a steep hill between Great Bay and Little Bay).
Met tons of interesting people from around the world, as they came off the many ships stopping there.
The resorts don't want you to know this but you can catch a local bus in Phillipsburg for $2.00 that will take you anywhere....Marigot, included.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynda M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Alamanda Resort
#5 of 8 in Orient Bay
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to Divi Little Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!