“OK”

“OK”
Reviewed December 1, 2009

Let's be objective:

POSITIVE POINTS:
1) The beach is private and the sea is very calm. Great for kids!
2) There are 4 different swimming pools in the resort area. All are very nice.
3) The food at DINNER (and only dinner) is unbeliveable - I had the best seafood pasta ever!
4) It's within walking distance to downtown Philipsburgh (20 minutes) - but it is not a pleasant walk since you go past some poor areas and you see people staring at you as if you had a lot of money in your pocket.

NEGAVITE POINTS:
1) The hotels rooms need urgent restoration - they are old and specially the bathroom is completely out of date. It takes around 10 minutes of water running to get hot water.
2) Service in general - all employees have a "it's not my problem" attitude.
3) Breakfast - very poor
4) Lunch - only snacks and salads are available.
5) Internet - only available on the Cafe. If you want to plug in your laptop, you have to bring your own cable and disconnect the cafe's desktop

That is it. For the price I paid, US$ 99,00 + tax it was quite good. If I was on vacation, it would be better, but as I was on business, I missed high speed internet in the room and a business center.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (726)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
DC
Reviewed November 30, 2009

I just returned from a 5 day stay at the Divi Little Bay Resort with my family. Although the beach is beautiful and my family and I made the best of the trip, we would will not be returning to the resort nor recommending it to others. Our room was nice, but the customer service throughout the trip was very poor. For example, we were out of toilet paper for two days, and after using the kleenex and calling to complain to the front desk we finally got more toilet paper. We called several times and asked for more pillows, but never received them. The room staff did change the trash, but that was about it. They did not do anything else to clean the room for the length of the stay. The manager/host at the hotel restaurant was very rude on two different nights, the service poor and slow, food not very good, and food was expensive. After visiting other beaches, we found that the customer service was much better on the French side of the island. Divi Little Bay is near Philipsburg, which has a lot of little beach shops and jewelry stores, but the shops on the French side seemed to have better artisan stores, better restaurants, and much more friendly people.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed November 29, 2009

I recently returned from Diva little bay resort. My husband and I stayed 7 nights. The resort is beautiful and the views were stunning from anywhere on the resort. All units are updated furnished beautifully. We stayed in a one bedroom unit with a beautiful view. The balcony was very nice, we sat outside every morning and watched the cruise ships come and go. Our kitchen was updated with stainless steel appliances and beautiful cabinetry. The bathroom was huge with a huge tuba separate shower. The only problem we had with the unit was closet space. There was very little closet space.

The grounds are also beautiful. There is a grocery store and a deli on the premises, but there is a much larger grocery store about 2 miles from the resort in Phillipsburg. We were able to find everything we needed at reasonable prices.

The food at the Seabreeze bar/cafe was really good and convenient for lunch or a midday snack.

The pools are all small but perfect. You would not want to miss the sunset at the infinity pool. It was absolutely beautiful.

The beach area was very quite, clean and relaxing. I spent a lot of time reading and enjoying the view. I noticed that since the hotel rooms are steps away from the beach, a lot of the guest would go out early in the morning and reserve chairs by leaving books and hats on them. They leave the books and hats there for hours. This was very inconsiderate.

My husband and I rented a car at the resort which was very convenient. There was plenty of parking on premises. We were allowed to return the car to a location near the airport and take a shuttle to the airport. That was wonderful!

We walked into Phillipsburg, it took about 15minutes and there is a sidewalk all the way.

There are so many wonderful restaurants in St. Maarten. We spent a lot of time at Lee’s Roadside grill. The food was great. We also enjoyed the Mango Daiquiris at Toppers. Both restaurants are in Simpson Bay. We traveled to Grand Case twice to eat at wonderful little restaurant on Grand Case Blvd called ‘Talk of the Town’. The lobster was to die for.

I am a travel agent and I schedule time with the resort manager for a site inspection and a tour of the property. He showed me several rooms and they all included the most modern updates. He was very helpful and he has a lot of great ideas for improvements to an already beautiful resort. We can’t wait to go back! I would highly recommend this resort

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank EOE21
New Jersey
Reviewed November 25, 2009

Clean, modern resort. Stayed with spouse and second couple. 2 BR lockout had large bedrooms with central living room & full kitchen, washer/dryer. Lockout (studio) had partial kitchen. Room was 10 ft from beautiful beach with calm water. Great views. Hotel staff was friendly and accommodating. Took care of several minor problems quickly.

Great location. Equal distance to both sides of island. 30-40 minutes to Orient Beach and Marigot/Grand Case. Resort was quiet, but only 15 mins from Simpson Bay/Maho area with most restaurants, casinos and nightlife.

Best meal - lobster thermidor at Pineapple Petes. Barbecue at resort was good.
Snorkling not great. Dawn Beach was too rough. Visit Marigot on Wed. when market is open. Had good lunch (ribs) at Talk of the Town in Grand Case.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NormanNJ
PA
Reviewed November 24, 2009

I just got back from Diva little bay resort on November 21..traveled with my daughter we stayed 3 nights. THe resort is beautiful, but found that they do cater to most of timeshare holders..the service at the restaurants was terrible. They add 15% service fee to all your tabs..which I thought was wrong because service SUCKED! The drinks were $10 plus the service charge. If you are there on a Monday or Thursday..the only thing availabe was a $33 buffet which was probably worth $6..none of the restaurants were open (how convienant) There is a grocery store and a deli, but very expensive..we brought all our breakfast food..that saved alot.
The taxi's there are really overpriced..we took taxi from airport to resort and only $18 but when we needed a taxi to get back to airport..it was $25 due to traffice..so they say..but you can bargin with that...
You can walk into Phillipsburg, it is a 15min walk and there is a sidewalk all the way into town...and a boardwalk when you get into town.
It was a beautiful resort, but mostly the people that are there are timeshare holders..and no activity at night...so if your looking for a more quieter resort..this is it..I probably would not stay there again..I heard the hotel by airport is the best where you can watch the airplane's land.

Stayed November 2009
1 Thank eclipse_grl
Commack, New York
Reviewed November 22, 2009

We stayed in here in mid November and loved it. We traded in so we got a view of Great Bay instead of Little Bay with the setting sun.
We were supposed to get a studio but we had a one bedroom. Everything is updated and modern. It was furnished beautifully. The grouds are also beautiful. There was plenty of parking on premises.
In all I definitely would recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank LizandRick
NY, NY
Reviewed November 18, 2009

Stayed here for two days after spending a week near Maho Beach. We had visited the island at least 15 times starting in 1985 and had wanted to stay in this area after having walked the beach and Fort Amsterdam in previous years. The first experience with reception was less than welcome. Let's just say that customer service is not one of their strong points. We had checked in early and fully expected to return later after dropping our luggage and getting a room assignment. When we picked up our key cards later and entered the room, imagine our surprise when we walked in on someone occupying the same room. The housekeeper who was still on duty was very friendly and put us into a room she knew was occuppied while the bellhop went back to the front desk to exchange our key cards.

We paid $118 plus $28 in taxes per night for a beachfront double room in the Building near the watersports shack. It was a good size, well designed, steps from the beach. However, the room did not contain a mini fridge so we were constantly walking up to the 2nd floor to fill up our ice bucket. The small pool was near the Toucan restaurant near the Casitas - we didn't see anyone using it.

There is heavy timeshare sales pressure. The receptionist at the sales office was stand-offish and just plain rude. I own a timeshare and have attended presentations in Hawaii and Mexico but have never encountered someone like her - she refused to give her name when I wanted to file a complaint. We spoke to two salespersons who were ultra friendly but if she is the gatekeeper, then it is amazing that anyone would even want to tour the place.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dushi-NY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Alamanda Resort
#6 of 8 in Orient Bay
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort

Been to Divi Little Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!