“Good Eperience at Divi Little Bay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
New jersey
“Good Eperience at Divi Little Bay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2005

I stayed at Divi Little Bay from February 3-13, 2005, with my wife and 3 yr. old daughter. We stayed in a one bedroom timeshare unit through an RCI points exchange. I was very concerned as to what to expect after reading a number of very negative reviews in this forum. However, I can now say that for the most part the time I spent worrying was entirely unnecessary.

Divi has a wonderful location on a peninsula between Great Bay and Little Bay, a 5 minute drive from Phillipsburg and a 15 minute drive from the airport. One side of the resort overlooks Great Bay, with the comings and goings of the cruise ships being the main attraction. The other side of the resort, where the beach is located, is Little Bay, where spectacular sunsets are the evening attraction.

The timeshare unit that we were in was a little worn, but nothing that would surprise anyone accustomed to the Caribbean. A cracked tile here and there, and a little flaky paint is the worst of it. Overall the accomodations are spacious and comfortable, from what I could see. In addition, I was able to visit two recently renovated timeshare units, one in building A or B, and one in Building G, which were really beautifully done. As a result, it would seem that as the renovations continue, more units will be improved. One complaint we had was that the bed was rather hard and uncomfortable, but that may just be a matter of preference.

There appear to me to be some issues between Divi Little Bay, Divi Corporate in Chapel Hill, and RCI that need to be addressed. We did an RCI points exchange for a "1 Bedroom Deluxe, sleeps 6". There is also a 1 bedroom sleeps 4 for a lower point value. Divi really doesn't seem to appreciate the difference and we ended up in a sleeps 4 unit. However, we were given the key and an opportunity to look at the unit before we checked in, and it was fine for us. There was no clear answer as to what the solution would have been if the unit was not OK, as it was the only one available at that time. I do plan on getting the point differential refunded, however.

The staff at Divi was very accomodating, from the front desk to housekeeping to especially the activities staff. The activities staff runs a "kids club" every Friday evening from 6:30 to 9:30, (for children 3 to 10 or 12, I think) at a cost of $10 US per child. We used this for our daughter twice, and most of the kids she had met during the day around the pool and beach also attended. The first time we were a little nervous, so we stayed on the property and peeked in a couple of times. She was so happy and well cared for by Marty and Marissa of the activities staff that the second Friday we felt comfortable enough to leave the resort for a nice dinner in Phillipsburg.

I would describe the food at the restaurants as good, not great. There is a breakfast buffet each day which is pretty good, omelets to order as well as a buffet of eggs, waffles, bacon, sausage, etc. Lunch can be had either by the pool or near the beach, and was very good. The beach was kebobs, chicken, etc., and the pool was a la cart with a nice selection of salads, sandwiches, etc. Dinners alternate between buffets and a la cart, and we found the dinners to be very average, uncluding the buffets. However, with all the great choices nearby, this is not a big problem. The Divi dinner is fine in a pinch for the night of arrival or if one doesn't feel like going out, its not bad, just not outstanding on an island of outstanding food.

All in all, our Divi experience was very good, and we plan on returning. I have a hard time reconciling the most negative posts I have seen recently regarding this resort. I believe that anyone who is used to the minor issues that always seem to be present in the caribbean, will find the Divi no different. Along with those little issues, however, are a lot of the things that those who love the islands return for.

I would be happy to try to answer any specific questions anyone has, feel free to e-mail me.

32 Thank wbsander

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (701)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Westbank BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2005

We spent Jan 22 to 29 at the Divi Little Bay Hotel. Our rooms basically opened onto the beach, and as we were on the second floor of the hotel, we kept our sliding glass door open at night to hear the waves crash intot he shore.

We had an all-inclusive package. The meals were good. Breakfast was a buffet every day, but there were many choices availablce, including having the chef whop up an omelette or eggs benedict. Lunch was a casual affair but on any day the cook will throw a hamburger or a hotdog onto the grill if the items in the buffet didn't strike your fancy.

Dinners alternated between buffet and a la carte. Most nights the service was OK, on one particular night when dinner took an astonishing 2 1/2 hours, the staff explained that they were short one cook.

We never had a bad meal and after a few days the staff got to know us and would automatically bring our preferred juices, coffee, tea etc to the table.

The bar staff were friendly and claimed that the hotel was strategically built so that all the rooms were crawling distance from the bar.

Gizmo, the live-on-site parrot, provided entertainment by waddling around the resort.

The beach was clean, not alot of weeds. The cruise ship excursions could be a littel intrusive at times, since they involved large speakers on the beach blaring reggae music and the same mindless banter broadcast daily.

There was evening entertainment 3 times during the week.

We arrived late Jan. 22nd. Check-in went smoothly, and there were large ham and cheese salads waiting for us.

The rooms were spacious and had a small balcony, good for quiet reflection and watching the sun rise or set. THere were a small table and a couple of chairs.

Divi Little Bay was not a five-star resort by North American standards however. The grout was dirty between the tiles and the finish was peeling off our sink. The beds were comfortable, though and let's face it, when one is in a place as beautifual at St. Maarten one only really goes to the room to sleep anyway.

11 Thank Baguiar
vancouver, british columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2005

SUMMARY:
Stayed at Divi Little Bay (DLB) hotel, January 2005, 2 weeks, all-inclusive. Hotel is good but not worth its advertised 4 1/2 stars. N.B. distinction between hotel and time shares at the same site.

HOTEL, NOT TIME SHARE:
The hotel is at one end of the complex and the time shares are at the other. The distinction is important because they are seperate operations to a large extent. The time shares seem to get more negative reviews than the hotel. All I can report about the time shares from personal experience is that their laundry room, which long-stay hotel guests use, was in rough shape: its four washers were badly rusted, only one worked and only one of the three broken ones had an "out of order" sign on it; the other two you found out about the hard way.

LOCATION:
DLB is on the south (Dutch) side of St Martin on Little Bay, a U-shaped bay 1 km across and 1/2 km wide. It is a 40 minute walk from Philipsburg, commercial capital and cruise ship port of the island, located on the neighbouring Great Bay. The bays are separated by a small peninsula on which the time shares sit and at the end of which, up on a hill, is old Fort Amsterdam. There is not much there except rusty cannon but it gives a panoramic view of both bays and their turquoise waters and off-white, sandy beaches. It is a view from a tourist glossy, almost, but not quite, too good to be true.

ROOM:
Clean, large, fairly recently renovated, with a large, comfortable bed and patio where it was pleasant to sit early in the morning and watch the cruise ships sail in to Philipsburg. But it lacked the general feeling of quality you would expect from a 4 1/2 star hotel. Specific problems included the following: There was no overhead lighting and the existing lighting was dim. There was a small table with two chairs but no proper sitting area, which I missed because in this quiet hotel there is nowhere to go after dinner except your room if you do not want to go off site. The room's motion detector knew when I was away and shut off power with the results that I could not leave a light on for security and the clock-radio kept resetting to 12:00. The bathtub had a two-inch wide rust stain and two sections where the finish or glaze had peeled back. One couple tried for ten days to get the hotel to remount their unit's hair dryer on the bathroom wall where it was supposed to have been in the first place; the husband even tried to borrow a screw driver to do it himself!

The rooms all face the ocean and are about ten feet from the beach.

CLIENTELE:
There was a relatively old clientele with almost no children; average age may have been 50. They were a pretty quiet crowd although one couple had problems with noisy neighbours in the wee hours; I never heard a peep. There is no disco or other entertainment after 10 pm.

FOOD:
Good, and lots of it. There was only one restaurant. It gave the options of indoor eating or outdoor eating, either on the covered patio that wrapped around the restaurant's sea side or on a terraced open area. All sections were close to the beach and gave good views of the ocean. It was very pleasant to sit there in the morning freshness as the day brightened over Little Bay or in the evening dusk as the lighted cruise ships sailed away and an Island band sang "Yellow Bird" and other Caribbean favourites. Breakfast and dinner were served in the restaurant, lunch was served from a stand a little lower, down by the water.

Breakfast was always the same buffet of fresh fruit, cold cuts, cereal, croissants, omelettes, bacon, sausage, eggs, hash browns, pancakes and French toast. Lunch was picnicky food like nicely grilled hamburgers and hot dogs, pizza slices, chicken wings, rice, pasta and tossed salads, and dessert squares. Dinner alternated between buffets (Italian, sea food, BBQ and roast beef) and a la carte. The a la carte menu was set for each dinner, i.e., limited or no choice: soup (always delicious), salad (fresh), main course (choice of fowl, fish, meat, e.g. chicken, mahi mahi, lamb) and dessert. This did not bother me but others felt there should have been more choice. The menu repeated itself after one week.

SERVICE:
Middling to very good. Room service did a good job of cleaning my room but one couple had trouble getting two sets of everything they needed for the bathroom. I, a single guy, sometimes came back to my room after dinner and found a duplicate set of towels on my room's door handle. Food service could be slow and haphazard but usually caused no complaint. Staff came to know my favourite table and favourite drinks and were friendly without overdoing it. Even when there was a little glitch, I would say their attitude was that of willing workers who had made a small mistake.

Reception was the one place I wanted to bang my head against something hard. They need to place more people on the desk at peak times, or streamline their system, or train staff better so they are not constantly wandering off to ask someone else how to do something.

ACTIVITIES:
The beach was great, and right at my door step. The water was cool at first but soon felt a nice, neutral temperture. It was coloured in attractive shades of green and blue, clean and free of sea weed. The waters were fairly calm because the hotel is nestled in a bay and the bay is on the leeward side of the island. A cordoned swim area protected bathers from jet skiers and the drop off was gradual, but there was no life guard. The beach was raked every morning.

There were beach chairs and umbrellas. The daily crab races would sound silly if I described them but were good fun. There were jet ski, kayak and snorkel rentals, and diving lessons. There was good snorkelling along the peninsula just past the time shares, out toward the dive boat and raft; on choppy days the water was silty near shore but still allowed good fish-viewing under the boat and raft.

There was a mini-mall with jeweller, gym, internet cafe, souvenir shop, spa and small store. You should take everything you think you will need and not count on buying it when you get there; for example, the store was perpetually out of mouthwash.

Warning!!! Sand fleas!!!!!! The beach has lots of them. Do NOT go to the beach until you have bug repellent! I went straight out there on Day One without a thought and spent the next two weeks scratching like mad and applying after-bite cream.

THE ISLAND:
With 37 square miles and 37 beaches, St. Martin has one beach per square mile, as the tourist bumpf points out. You can see many of them by car. There is a car rental on site. A group of us rented a car for $80 for the day and toured the island. Non-stop, the drive might have been 1 1/2 hours. You can see St Martin comfortably in a day but might want to be back before night. The island's roads are narrow and winding, and I have never seen a place with so few posted speed limits but so many speed bumps, none of which seemed to be marked and all of which would be invisible at night.

Briefly, we stopped at: Le Galion Beach, said by locals to be the best, but found it sea weedy and with indifferent snorkelling; Orient Bay Beach, the longest on the island, but on the more exposed, Atlantic side and rough and sea weedy; the village of Grande Case with its abundance of small, French restaurants; Marigot with its old hill top fort and colourful, traditional market.

Depending on your tastes and time available there are of course many other things to do. One thing I got a kick out of was going to Maho where the runway begins where the beach ends and watched 4-engine jets roar in at 50 feet above our heads (but do not stand right in line with the runway or you will be right in line with the jet blast.)

One great thing about DLB's location is that it is an easy walk to Philipsburg with its 200 or so duty-free jewellers and a smaller number of electronics and clothing stores. The town is also a good place to catch busses to other parts of the island. These are actually minivans which passengers hail like taxis but they cost only $1.50 per trip (rounded up to $2 to tip the driver) and run frequently. They connect the main towns but do not cover the entire island and most of the routes do not run at night. Taxis to other towns cost 15 to 20 dollars.

DAY TRIPS TO OTHER ISLANDS:
St Martin is close enought to other islands top allow easy day trips for under $100.

Anguilla, to the north of St Martin: we went on an tour organized by the company that sent us on our all-inclusive but I imagine a similar, or the same, arrangement could be made on the spot by other travellers. They chartered the French sailing catamaran, "Paradoxe," for a one hour sail in calm waters to Anguilla. This beautiful, stylish vessel was part of a well organized operation and riding on it was one of the highlights of my trip to the Caribbean. We went ashore by small boat and were met by a bus that drove us across Anguilla to Shoal Bay beach, rated by those who rate these things as the best in the Caribbean. Perhaps. But for sure, its sand was the consistency and colour of icing sugar and its waters were the now-familiar range of alluring greens and blues. We snorkelled but the waves were a bit rough.

I went on my own to French St Barths (St. Barthelemy) to the east and Dutch Saba to the south. St Barths in physical terms is a smaller St Martin but its people are French and its towns look like they are in the south of France. This was a major difference from the Afro-Caribbean culture that predominates on Anguilla and St Martin. English is widely spoken.

Saba was quite different both physically and culturally. This small and very, very quiet island, with only 1500 people, rises straight out of the ocean in a conical shape culminating in Mt Scenery, usually lost in the clouds but on this day, open and sunny. Saba's British and Dutch descended people have created an extremely picturesque man-made environment to fit in with the great natural beauty of the island. The island is famous for its diving but this land lubber chose to spend his day climbing Mt Scenery, all 1064 concrete steps of it, about an hour up and almost that long down. The views were incredible. Of the four islands I visitied, I would say Saba deserves its boast of "Unspoiled Queen of the Caribbean."

All three islands, especially St Barths and Saba, would have been worth longer stays.

CONCLUSION:
I had a great trip to the Caribbean and enjoyed my stay at DLB. Yes, there were small problems but I tried to remember that (a) I was not in a hurry, (b) if I was in a hurry, I should not be, (c) it is their island and who am I to demand otherwise? and (d) if I wanted snap-to-it efficiency and every blade of grass in place, I would have chosen Switzerland; I chose the Caribbean instead, and I got the Caribbean experience I wanted.

Now, I am an old back packer who thought he was living in the lap of luxury. To provide another view, I must report that some fellow travellers came from a background of all-inclusive holidays in the Caribbean and Mexico, and they felt that DLB was not up to standard. I think the problem may be with the hotel's rating of 4 1/2 stars. Even I would have to say that if there is a consistent, world wide scale on which five or six stars is the most a hotel can get, there is just no way that DLB is a 4 1/2 star hotel.

If you go expecting a European meaning of 4 1/2 stars you may well be disappointed. If you expect a little less and look forward to being a little Caribbean while you are there, you may well have the same experience I did -- an overwhelmingly positive trip, including my stay at DLB.

• Stayed January 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
31 Thank TomFromVancouver
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2005

We stayed at Divi St. Maarten for two weeks Dec 18, 2004 - Jan 1, 2005. Read all the reviews so we kept our expectations low. Stayed in one of the timeshare units, closest one at top of hill near Ft. Amsterdam. Check-in process is slow so brace yourself (yoga breathing! We got in at midnight (no luggage, they left our luggage in Puerto Rico due to heavy weight on plane). We were told luggage would arrive next day at noon, it didn't. We finally received our luggage the following evening. Apparently this happens frequently so to avoid being stranded in your winter clothes on the beach, PACK AN EXTRA BATHING SUIT AND SHORTS IN YOUR CARRY-ON BAG! (fortunately we had). Unit was clean and large but in need of a renovation. Kitchen had basics and everything worked but it needed a cosmetic facelift. Let's just say the unit didn't look anything like the ones they advertise on the website! It was supposed to be a Gold Crown level room, it only was in terms of size. We didn't get the king bed we were supposed to get either. Mattresses were brutal. That aside it was clean, no bugs at all. Maid service was only twice a week although they change the rubbish daily. Bath towels keep an eye on them, some days you'll come to your room and the maid has taken all of them. One day she left us with only 1 towel! Sometimes you have to ask several times before getting them, other times you get them right away. I asked for a bottle opener in the kitchen, asked three times, never did get it. We didn't have the all-inclusive package and cooked breakfast in the room everyday which was nice. Had lunch at Toucans or Seabreeze some days, food was pretty good, service terrible during busy times. Resort is understaffed and needs new management but the Divi has a good location. Its not a 5 star resort but the grounds and swimming area/beach are great. If you dont rent a car (we rented a car for two days only, rest of the time we took taxis) you can get around by cab but give yourself an extra 20 minutes to get where you want to go. Renting a car is very convenient, Thrifty Rent a Car is located right on the premises. If you want to go into Maho or Philipsburg for dinner by taxi, go to the front desk and request a taxi. She'll call and then wait, she'll give you the taxi number (e.g. Taxi 49). On average it took us about 15-20 minutes to get a cab most of the time, painfully slow. Then you have to watch for the taxi to pull up, taxi number is written on the licence plate but looks just like a regular car. It is easy to miss your taxi if its a busy night be careful someone might just hop into your taxi. Generally that doesnt happen because the resort told us if you hop into another cab and not the cab that was booked for you, the resort gets charged so the taxi drivers pretty much stick to the people that called for them. Getting anything at Divi is a production. Towels are a challenge, taxis are a challenge, basically everything takes FOREVER. But hey you're in the Caribbean (well that's what we kept reminding ourselves of!) Even though its a slower pace (sometimes painfully slow!) after a while you just go with the flow and give yourself extra time to do EVERYTHING and keep a sense of humour or you will go nuts! The resort's customer service is lacking and I overheard a few guests have run-ins with the hotel on various matters. After exploring the island and seeing (and staying) ther hotels in St. Maarten we thought Divi was pretty good value. It wasn't perfect, the service was painful at times and our room was a little rough but loved the pools, the beach, the proximity to Philipsburg, Maho and Simpson Bay so we were able to let go some of the other stuff... that said the resort does need to step up with its service and renovate some of the buildings. We did respond to the Divi questionnaire and I have sent it to both RCI and Divi Head Office so that they are aware. Comparing it to Sonesto Resort where we stayed our very last night before flying out, we enjoyed Divi more. Sonesto was much better in terms of the hotel room (check-in process painful there too) but Sonesto is located right at Maho Beach so while you are laying on their beach, 747 planes are flying over you, not ideal and located in the middle of all the commercial stuff, ok but thought Divi had a nicer atmosphere. Divi has a unique location right on the water and probably the nicest location at St. Maarten in our opinion. They just need to change management, renovate here and there and improve their customer service. We enjoyed our stay. Really we just went for hot weather and beach and to explore the island. Weather was gorgeous and St. Maarten is an interesting and wonderful island. Anguilla is even more gorgeous, we spent a week there after St. Maarten, not to be missed! (Go to St. Barts for the day too it is interesting). GOOD LUCK!

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thunder Bay, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2005

We have just returned back from our vacation at the Divi Little Bay. Before we left I did read some of the negative reviews and felt that maybe some were little harsh but.......they were more then right to feel frustration and stress during their stay. The resort is very run down with paint chipping off the walls and smell of mold was terrible. I noticed in previous review someone mentioned the little bugs well.......in our bathroom we had three dead Roaches being carried up the walls by the ants and that was not an inviting sight. We have complained at the front desk but the manager was very rude and came back saying " Haven't you seen roaches before? ". You can imagine how we felt and at that time I almost felt like screaming. After few exchanges of words she did say about changing our room but each time we called back she was busy or not in her office. I then decided to visit her in her office but she was gone for lunch all the time. I asked the front desk staff how long is her lunch and they responded, " She can take as long as she wants " Wow! Camila has a good job! Can I have a job like that?
In the magazine it says their water is safe for drinking and that is another lie. The water comes out orange in colour and has a terrible smell, not even comfortable enough to shower in. Some of the rails in the buildings are missing and some are almost braking off, not a good idea for families with small kids. The floor tiles in the buildings are rotten and falling apart, they keep saying they are in the middle of renovations but there is no workers doing anything at all. They keep trying to sell the timeshares to new visitors showing only the demo room that you might get a chance of getting at the second coming of Christ. We have met with the representative of the timeshare and she herself said that she's been getting many complains but there is nothing she can do. Sad that we must waste our vacation time to receive this type of a treatment. I am more then happy to send the pictures taken of the falling apart resort at sorrynothere@hotmail.com

15 Thank Alexa2005
Plainview, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2005

Well we arrived Christmas day at around 3 and wasn't able to check in until 6 pm. We stayed in one of the timeshare rooms a one bedroom it had a mildew smell and ants in the kitchen and bathroom, very rundown. They did come to spray and left us a bottle to spray if more came back.
The resort is very pretty but needs to be updated. The beach was beautiful lots of things for the kids to do, bannana boat and jet ski's. The food was good there, we had breakfast everyday and twice we ate dinner there.
I loved the island, the beaches all around are gorgeous, my favorite was oyster pond and Friars.

3 Thank shahow
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2005

We just went from a one week vacation to Divi Little Bay in St-Maarten. We enjoy our stay. The beach is very nice, the view is fantastic. (Sun set right in front of the little bay). The beach is very quiet except when there are peoples coming from the cruising ship to spend the day at this location but the beach is long so you can find a quiet spot anyway. We did scuba diving from the on site dive shop and we loved our experience (The people was very very helpful). We rent a car for one day to visit the island and we saw a lot of places all around the island but nothing beat the beach at the Divi Little Bay resort. For the restaurant: We had an all inclusive package. The breakfast was perfect, for the lunch at 12h30 it is a grill. (We think that they should open the main restaurant for that meal because if you stay there 1 week, you eat hamburger, pizza or hot dog everyday. For the dinner it was buffet or "a la carte" depending of the day. The service is a little bit slow and they often make mistake on the dishes or on your order but after all we are on vacation and the wine is very good so we can wait a little bit more than wat we usualy do. The hotel's room are fine and very clean. Ther is no disco on site and the music stop at 10h00 PM so it is very quiet. The air conditionner is perfect. We had no problem with beach towel. (Like other places they gave us coupons and we exchange it against beach towels "Very easy"). On site there is a little bit of sand fly so dont forget to bring repellent. I recommand strongly that location if you love to be quiet and to be on the beach from morning to sun set.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Alamanda Resort
#4 of 8 in Orient Bay
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino

Been to Divi Little Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!