“A wonderful resort, with a great staff and services”

Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We have traveled extensively in North & South America, Eastern and Western Europe,the Orient, Scandinavian countries, Africa, the Middle East,the Caribbean and Dutch Antilles, and this is our 25th trip to Little Bay. Their current staff, room quality, and services are first class. Sandra Rogers is a wonderful front desk manager, and together with her excellent staff, deals professionally in a capable, understanding and sympathetic manner with the innumerable problems presented by vacationers.Our time-share unit is in top shape, and our requests are handled in a timely and efficient manner by the maintenance and housekeeping staffs. Roxanne at the Sea Breeze is her welcoming self, Auntie Linette is superb as an Activities director; Eugenie and the Gizmo's and Beach staff are great, and Divi is fortunate to have Celine Van Meer is its General Manager. Al of them are a great credit to Divi, and have made Little Bay a desirable vacation choice.

Room Tip: we are time- share owners and stayed in a time share unit
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HaroldandMaryChapman
Write a ReviewReviews (2,283)

Reviewed January 13, 2014

We checked in 1-2-14 and stayed for 4 nights. The room had a beautiful view of little bay...The beach was nice and calm and had complimentary chairs...Gizmo's bar was by far the best! Nigel, the bartender made the stay there worth it alone. He was very prompt on taking our orders and giving great recommendations for local attractions. We are looking forward to coming back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank costamanSF
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

This was our second visit to the Divi Little Bay. Before passing judgment based on other reviews, please read my review. I have been to some of the world's top hotels and although this is not a 5 Star hotel, it's not bad either! Everything must be put into perspective. Firstly, before our departure for St. Maarten, we called the hotel to confirm our room and desire to only have a renovated room. Upon our arrival, which was 3 hours before check-in, we were told they would do everything possible to get us in our room and they delivered within 30 minutes! While we waited, they gave us access to the owners lounge so we could change our clothes. By 2:00 we were headed to the beach! After the first night, the sofa bed was not acceptable for my son. We called to request a mattress to be added to the existing mattress. Of course we could no longer close the sofa, but we had a suite, so it really didn't matter. They followed through with the extra mattress. Every day we received a phone call inquiring about my son's sleep & if there was anything else they could do. Unbeknownst to us, there was a leak under our kitchen sink. They took care of it immediately. We were stunned that they assessed a problem & corrected it before we even discovered it! The housekeeping staff was attentive and couldn't do enough! Front desk was equally as friendly. As for the food. I have also been to some of the best restaurants. I'm a total food snob and I am very critical of food as I am a gourmet cook. Yes it does not have any Michelin stars, but it was very decent. Eating local foods is always the way to go. If you order Italian, then you will be disappointed. Bottom line in any restaurant, if it's known for seafood, then don't order Italian. If you like your meatballs, then don't order someone else's because you will always find fault! Be realistic! Be nice to people, they will be nice to you and more likely to accommodate you. Paying compliments goes a long way! I had to wait around for a long time for my room at the InterContinental Paris. As a result of being inconvenienced, I received a room upgrade to a suite. Will there be problems, yes. But problems are everywhere, even at the best hotels! My only compliant is that I don't want throw pillows touching my sleep pillows. That is gross and must be corrected. I removed the throw pillows to avoid this problem during my stay. Other than that, I think this hotel is a keeper for us. After many trips to St. Maarten, this is where my family likes to stay. As a side note, I recognized many people from the year before and they are not all time share owners & neither am I. Give it a chance!

Stayed: January 2014
12  Thank SylviaCM
Reviewed January 12, 2014

My husband and I spent a week at the Divi while on our honeymoon. The beach was beautiful! We found the majority of the staff to be quite unfriendly, almost rude. Elvis at the front desk was the exception. He was so kind and helpful! He is one of the true gems at this hotel. Housekeeping rarely serviced our room. We had to request clean towels several times. Don't waste your time or money eating at Gizmos (the beach bar at the Divi). There are plenty of great restaurants in St. Maarten and this is not one of them. The food and service were horrible. Pool was great! The infinity pool was the perfect place to watch the sunset.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BrookeWat
DiviResorts, General Manager at Divi Little Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Congratulations on your wedding! Thank you for choosing our resort for your honeymoon stay. We're happy that you got to enjoy the romantic sunset views at our Infinity pool and that you liked our beach.

However, we're extremely sorry that you felt our staff was unfriendly. Our guests always rave about our employees being their family away from home so this is unfortunate. We are glad that Elvis was good to you though and we'll give him the message.

Unfortunately, you did not specify what exactly you disliked about our food at Gizmo’s Beach Bar for us to be able to correct it. At our Beach Bar, we typically serve pizza’s, burgers, hot dogs and finger food along with snacks so I am sorry that you did not enjoy this kind of food.

Thank you for your posting and I hope that we may welcome the both of you back at our resort in the future.

Celine

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Our first hotel at SXM, arrived by car, its only abt 20 mins ride from airport. Service at reception was average, room was not ready when we arrived at 14:30, had to wait until 16:00, disappointing when you arrive all the way from Europe. We stayed in a studio, parents and 2 teens, it was tight but it worked for 5 nights. Room had great view of Little Bay from the balcony.
The bed was very hard! Bathroom is large with own jacuzzi. A/C worked fine.
Breakfast ,10 USD, is served at Toucan's Cafe, normal Continental style. We had our New Years dinner there as well, which was a complete disaster, no less! Some days later we had some comments from the staff working there that night, they understood they have made a mess. Had some lunches at Seebreeze Restaurant, where they have the usual beach menu, wraps, burgers etc all was ok. The beach is fine, calm waters compared to other beaches we visited. Sunbeds and umbrellas are free to use when you stay at the hotel. There a 3 small pools and a couple of outdoor jacuzzis, but who wants to use them when the ocean is so nice.
For an extra charge its possible to rent Jetskis, join snorkelling or diving trips. If you stay there please walk up and see Fort Amsterdam, its only 5-10 mins walk, you will be rewarded with a great view of Great Bay. The fort is an important breeding site for Brown Pelicans.
Not so may activities for young people, except from the things you do on the beach.
Hotel is located abt 10 mins ride from downtown Philipsburg.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Claus N
Reviewed January 9, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Divi Little Bay Beach Resort December 21 2013 for one night at the conclusion of a cruise. Our room, 2004 had an ocean view and what an exceptional view it was. The hotel is right on the beach with only a minutes walk from our room. There were plenty of beach loungers and most were equipped with an umbrella. Nice touch. We arrived at 9am. We could not access the room until 3pm so staff kindly checked our luggage and we spent the day shopping in St. Maarten. We returned to the hotel by 4pm and found our room ready. Check-in was seamless and quick. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. We discovered that our room door would not properly close and lock. Maintenance arrived within 30 minutes and made the necessary repairs. We dined beach side at Toucan's Café. We enjoyed a chicken ceasar salad and a Carib beer. The salad was plentiful, tasty and very satisfying. Unfortunately we did not have a good nights sleep as the bed squeaked at the slightest movement. It was very unstable and very annoying. Time for an upgrade. On a positive note the bathroom appeared recently upgraded. The shower was large and nicely appointed. We would consider returning but only if the beds are upgraded.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not close to the beach bar. The noise may interfere with sleep.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Klaus S
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Lovely location! That is it, we stayed from the 28 Dec to the 4 th Jan ! The check in took nearly an hour, the rooms were not ready, the reception staff were confused, untrained nd kept getting our names mixed up and the rooms which were not ready! The early meal in the Gizmo bar was a disaster, it took over n hour to get our food, staff were disinterested and did not care about customer service!
The room was poor and dirty and housekeeping was occasional some mornings they would arrive, some days it was at 6 in the evening nd sometimes not at all.........it kept us on our toes! We had a visit from cockroaches .....I still have the photo of one I killed ........I felt guilty after I killed it.
In summary, staff with a bad attitude, no customer service, no standards and no return visit by us ever again! We have been to many carribean islands and this was by far our worst experience!

Room Tip: Look for a first floor overlooking the sea. There are no elevators so if you are not fit stay on the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank macgearailt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
Holland House Beach Hotel
Holland House Beach Hotel
#2 of 12 in Philipsburg

Been to Divi Little Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!