“Pretty resort, pretty island,”

Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a TimeShare so they do not necessarily have all the amenities of a 5 star hotel. I am am owner at Divi as is my Brother and my wife's Sister. We all can trade to other resorts but don't.

The facilities are very pretty and well maintained. The accommodations are great. From large, well furnished studios up to two bedroom apartments. There are several well maintained pools and restaurants. The facility is geared to guests who want to do some in-room meal preparations. For us, breakfast is always in room. Lunch is sometimes in room. We ate dinner on-site two or three times (not in-room) and the food was very good. The rest we sampled some of the islands many wonderful restaurants. But we certainly could have made dinner in-room if we wanted to very comfortably. . .

Expect to be pressured to attend a tour/sales pitch but toughen up and take it. The reward in the form of a free trip or other activity is worth it.

Rent a car and tour the island. There is not enough in the resort to keep me busy all week. And there is little that you can walk to. But there are many things to do and places to see on the island. Just the trip to the French side was a lot of fun.

The 'back' or Great Bay side of the peninsula that Little Bay sit on faces Philipsburg and the Cruise Port as did our unit. The cruise port is not terribly attractive but watching the comings and goings was an interesting diversion. It is far enough away that you can not hear it. Philipsburg is the nearest town. It is a Cruise Ship destination and the sidewalks roll up (figuratively) when the ships leave. If you accept it as the tourist trap that it is, it is very nice.

The beach, on the Little Bay side, is sheltered, calm and pleasant. Great for small children and 50-somethings like us. It was also great on my first visit when I was a 40-something. There is a decent snorkeling site nearby. The beach is uncrowded, spacious and calm. This is NOT a Spring Break hot-spot.

There is little on property entertainment. A Managers reception is about all. But the staff is professional. Divi must treat the good ones well because they are there every year.

As I read back through this I feel like I am not painting a very good picture. In fact I LOVE Little Bay. It is just what I want. I love getting out and exploring. I do not want crowds. I want a spacious comfortable and fully equipped room. I want to eat in a different restaurant every night, or just grab a beer and burger at the pool. I want peace and quite at 'home' but excitement not far away when I want it.

But I read the reviews and those that are disappointed sometimes did not understand what they were getting. Divi Little Bay does what it does very well. Just make sure that what it does is what you want. This is not the Marriott. It is not the Riu. It is not an All-Inclusive. It is not a Sandals. It is a 5-star Home-Away-From-Home.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank John S

Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

The place is really beautiful. We stopped here on a cruise and was looking into a timeshare but wasn't really interested, just wanted the free food and resort stay for the day because of a lady harassing as soon as we got off the water taxi. The food was good at Gizmo's and the water was really clear, could see my feet! But some of the employees need to fix their attitudes, that is all!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank SondreR89
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We just recently returned from a wonderful trip the Divi's Little Bay resort in St Maarten. We were with a group of ten,and we were all very pleased with the resort,staff,amenities and the rooms. The staff members were so friendly,efficient and helpful. They were also very helpful in organizing our excursions to neighboring islands.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jacob P
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have traveled extensively throughout the world and by far this is the worst place I have stayed, Within 1 1/2 hour of being on the property, one of my hubcaps were stolen. When we got to our unit, it was not as promised. There was no oven, washer and dryer, sheets and blankets for the sofa, and the television did not work. The shower dripped continually and the floor tiles in the shower were coming up. When I took a shower, I cut my foot on one of the loose tiles. Additionally, the unit was overloaded with ants in the kitchen and eating area. When we went to the manager's office we were told that there was nothing that they could do to move us to another unit because the manager was not on duty and that we had to come back tomorrow and talk with her. My family was devastated but tried to keep our cool and went back the next day and were told that the manager would not be in that day and we would have to wait until the following day to talk to her. I called Interval International immediately and they moved me to different resort (The Villas at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina) which was one of the best resorts I ever stayed. Everyone was extremely nice and the resort was FIRST CLASS. When I got home I sent a letter to the Divi headquarters. The reply I received back seemed uncaring about the problem my family and I had and did nothing to make me want to go back to any Divi locations.

Room Tip: Pick one without ants and get the facility that you chose.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank 13FLTraveler13
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Hotel is remodeling. It does need it, but they seem to be doing it to maximize the return.
The remodels we saw were pretty but cramped compared to the older units.
We traded a week and added two days up front. Our two days added on were in a studio in Building B, which was roomy and adequate. Nicely located on the beach next to the bar and pool. Hot water was slow to arrive, but we were not in a rush. The rest of our stay was in a one bedroom platiuum upgrade on the second floor of building A. Same beach, almost as close to the bar. Great views from the balonies. Full Kitchen, washer dryer. could have had company stay over.

Room Tip: We like beach rooms. Look at the map and choice the room that suits your needs.
1  Thank johnbramsden
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had a wonderful, relaxing week. People were friendly and nice. They need to get their maid service up to par. Had to ask for soap, towels, room cleaned. We were there for two weeks. The second week was much better. Cocktail hours had little to offer as far as snacks were concerned.

Room Tip: Try to get a room down the hill
1  Thank Judith B
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We are Divi Timeshare owners and usually vacation at Divi Village in Aruba and have one of the best units. Trading our week for St Maarten and not sure what to expect was a concern. However, we are pleased to report that we are very pleased with the resort, staff, amenities, and our room. We traded our two bdrm Penthouse in Aruba and were given a very nice one bedroom plus lockout suite for our trade, very nice!
We had read other Trip advisor reports about the staff and complex and were a bit apprehensive, but we can all say that we are very happy with our stay. Sometimes it's how you treat the staff and how demanding you are with your attitude that makes a difference. The ladies went to the Spa and had a fantastic experience. Mike at the Seabreeze is a super waiter and the water sports staff is a good group! The front desk staff is very good to work with as well!

Room Tip: If you are a timeshare owner, the units up the hill on the Little Bay side are great. A bit of a cl...
1  Thank Bob C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Holland House Beach Hotel
#1 of 12 in Philipsburg
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to Divi Little Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!