“"Friendly Staff"”

Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Our check in was easy. We needed two rooms and the staff accommodated my family by giving us rooms right next to each other. The staff was friendly from check in to check out. The rooms were spacious and clean. The kitchens could have been stocked with dish rags, towels, pot holders, paper towels and dish soap. We had complaints with the AC starting on the first night. They sent the AC man to fix it. He managed to get us AC for one day. We called again, and again we had AC for another day. This went on until our final night when it no longer was working, they told us the compressor was bad and needed replaced. The manager was not available to talk to us. She was in a meeting, on the phone and off the property every time we tried to reach her. The staff did a great job trying to find us a room for the last night with AC that worked (it was an extremely hot week). The spa was wonderful. The gym had enough equipment that we could keep up on our workouts for the week. The store at the Divi was expensive but was well stocked for anything you might need in a pinch. The staff in the store was helpful. Overall the Divi is beautiful.

Room Tip: If you have health issues stay away from the 700 rooms which are located at the top of a hill. The...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TAC1991
Write a ReviewReviews (2,284)

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Arrived early in the afternoon,with my boyfriend, really tired from the the trip and just wanted to get some rest first. We took our key cards from the reception and headed to our room caring our luggage ourselves while no help was offered by the personnel. The keys had not been magnetized right and did n t work but a cleaning lady let us in.
Waking up around 10 pm starved and thirsty we realized there was no room service- or mini bar whatsoever or even a bottle of water- something nobody bothered to mention-in the room. We were informed by the one and only reluctant employee in the whole facility that the only food available in the area at that time (!) was pizza delivery from the city... Having no choice since the internet cost was ridiculously high, ordered, and went outside to the main entrance to pick up the pizza and took the keys to ask the front desk to magnetize it again so we could use it to go back in. Guess what...... the answer was that there was no maintenance at that time and we should have told them earlier. We had to wait until morning......!!!!! So we had to break in our own room through the balcony in order not to spend the night under the stars....
If you re still reading this.. wait there is more!!
After i used the bathroom i closed the door behind me and suddenly was totally jammed. Locked from the outside... Called the frond desk again to ask for help and the answer was the same: nothing could be done 'till morning. So there we were, paying a 160$ room per night with no bathroom and get dressed in the middle of the night walking all the way to the main building in order to use one....
In the morning we complained-of course- and asked for full refund of the previous night since we went through hell and since you have no room if you have no bathroom. The attitude was indifferent and arrogant and after our persistence for some kind of compensation we were given one voucher for breakfast for one person (the breakfast was not included) the breakfast buffet was poor also.
I have travelled a lot, in many different places in the world,but never seen such unacceptable behaviour in a hotel. Not ever!!!
I could go on and on but i think i made my point.. Never to step a foot there again. not ever!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Marina119
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The most beautiful location on the island. We staying in a one bedroom suite on the second floor. We had two balconies, one overlooked the pool and the other overlooked the beach. The rooms are large, clean, and well taken care of. We traveled the island but always enjoyed coming back to Little Divi Resort. The last day we decided the resort had everything we needed. We laid on the beach, snorkeled off the reef, and had dinner & drinks at the beach bar.
We are looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: The suites are must nicer than the single rooms...worth the extra money!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hawkins99
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We arrived early and were taken to our room right away. We stayed in the hotel area - opening right up on the beach. We loved the location - so close to St. Philipsburg. The staff were all very helpful. We especially enjoyed Gizmo bar on the beach. Only complaints were the AC controls did not work (we reported the 1st day but never fixed) and several mornings no hot water.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julie29414
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Arrival date was good. Monday morning no electricity and water. Tuesday, Wednesday morning low pressure and then no water for the morning showers. After several complaints they found the problem and we had pressure and water for the remaining 2 day's. Staff was friendly, food service was slower than island time. Took over an hour to get a sandwich at the pool bar with only 3 tables being serviced. The water sports staff was extremely helpful and ready to serve. Location was good, views spectacular, ocean bay great for sunbathing and swimming. Unfortunately, this was not the best experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Jim K
DiviResorts, General Manager at Divi Little Bay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you for posting your Divi Little Bay experience on the internet. Reading your posting, it makes us happy to read that you appreciated our location, beach, watersports and all resort employees.

Unfortunately the island had a power and water outage the Monday morning you are referring to, this has lasted for about 2 hours. We are sorry for the inconvenience this caused, it was out of our control due to some difficulties the on-island utility company was facing. We did contact all in-house resort guests to inform them about this. Besides this Monday morning, we have had no other issues with water pressure or no water. Again, we're sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Not sure why you had to wait for over 1 hour to get your sandwich at the pool bar, this is obviously not the standard we are striving for and I apologize for the extensive wait.

I am sorry that we did not make a good impression on you. Please feel free to email me directly when planning your next trip so I can do my utmost to make sure you will have an excellent stay.

Celine

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed in a two bedroom condo with Little Divi at St Maarten. We rented a car and felt this was an awesome location to be for the week as we were relatively close to everything, plus had the best beach (facing south - don't face east, the water is too rough)! Only rate it as Very Good instead of excellent because the sales people were a little pushy there and there were certain aspects of the room that could have been better (maid only changed towels and took out the trash, and other minor details, although AC worked very well). Also, they had WiFi in every room for about $50 a week. I would definitely recommend it, but get a car (rent before you go - twice as expensive on the resort). You will miss too much if you stay on the resort.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gil H
Reviewed July 12, 2013

In February 2013 I wrote a review of Divi Little Bay Beach resort that was based on a wedding research trip. We were there to scout Divi as a place to hold our wedding.

I am pleased to report that based on that trip we chose Divi and held our wedding there June 28 - July 1. What follows is my review of Divi Little Bay Beach resort, their grounds, accommodations, beaches, and customer service. In short, it's fantastic.

Some qualifies to being. 1. I hate hotels/resorts that are over run, too crowded or overly stimulated. With the exception of Vegas, we don't do vacation in very commercial places. We search out semi-secluded areas adjacent to commercial centers. We feel this gives us the best of both worlds. Divi meets this criteria. It is on a peninsula and a 5 min cab ride to heavily commercial Phillipsburg. Depending on how you want to play it Divi gives you the opportunity to have a relaxed quite do nothing vacation, or can serve as a fantastic jumping off point for island and nautical adventures. Like I said, it'll really be up to you on how to vacation.

Little Bay Grounds: The Divi experience is a hotel that feel like an exclusive resort. It's beach is beautiful and nestled what I am convinced is the greatest view on the whole island (Fort Amsterdam overlooking Great Bay and all the big cruise ships coming and going). The grounds are clean, modern and expansive, but not so big you'll have trouble finding one another. It is the perfect size resort.

Accommodations: Something for everyone. In my last review I noted our apartment style room was modern, spacious with all the comforts of home and perfectly situated feet from the beach. Now, with the wedding under our belt and having had at least one of our guests stay in virtually every type of room Divi has to offer, I can provide even more detail.

Apartment rooms are worth it, spring for them for all the convenience of home next to the beach (minor complaint - if you're up late the satellite TV's go out).

Studio/apartments in the towers: I don't even know what to call these rooms, but there are some rooms on the resort that appear to have been constructed a very long time ago -- this is a good thing. On the east side of the resort there are several rooms in what I would call the tower buildings. These rooms have enormous wrap around balconies, with (absolutely) stunning views, tremendously large (I mean spa style) walk in showers and baths and (no exaggeration) 15 foot cathedral ceilings. I was seriously pissed I didn't find out about these style rooms until after we had booked. These rooms (in the 'towers") are 'old world," but modernized enough to be comfortable and fall just beneath the luxury line. However, because of their castle-like feel the trade off is completely worth it.

Time share rooms -- I don't even know if these rooms are normally available to hotel guests. In fact, I'm not even sure if they are time shares or apart of the hotel, but on the far east side of the resort there are luxury apartment rooms with views over looking Great Bay that will make you want to sit on the balcony and 'cocktail' all day. The major down side to these rooms is its a short walk to the beach (the beach front rooms will spoil you).

Basic: The basic rooms are just that, but as I will say over and over again -- there is nothing basic about their proximity the most wonderful beach I've ever been on.

Beaches: It's expansive, yet intimate, quiet, yet right next to an open air bar, its water is perfect -- every single time the water is perfect, it has a subtle, yet perceptible differentiation of purpose; meaning the west side is for sun bathing, cocktailing, volley ball, there's adequate space and open water as far as the eyes can see, while the east side keeps people closer together (which is good for groups) is roped off for swimming and safe snorkeling along the peninsula basin, and the east side is also the water sports hub. I don't know how else to say it -- it can be what ever type of beach you want it to be, it's beautiful and some how naturally adaptable to the eye of the beholder. When we wanted to snorkel we were in one section, when we wanted to party we were in another, when we wanted to jet ski another section and when we wanted a safe spot for the kids (there were only a few) there was yet another section. So like I said, I cannot imagine a more perfect beach, beautiful to all and accommodating to all. My only wish is cabana service, but given Gizmo's location (on the beach) only have to walk a few feet for a Pina Colada refill (OH AND TRY THE BOB MARLEY - BE SURE TO ASK JUAN FOR THE BOB MARLEY).

Customer service (PAY ATTENTION IF YOU WANT TO DO AN EVENT THERE) The staff is professional and goes the extra mile to fulfill your requests. Now as I said in my last post -- this is not the Four Seasons, however if you are willing to do some planning yourself I think you will find there is no request that cannot be accommodated. Having run corporate and fundraising events myself we saw no need to hire a wedding planner, and because we had such excellent partners in the staff at Divi (led by their F&B director Arjian) everything was seamless, and the environment/vibe/mood/setting whatever you want to call it cannot be beat.

I would venture that anyone who holds an event here, making proper use of the Sea Breeze section of the resort will deliver an evening your guests will never forget ( I know ours won't). And I should add that our wedding party was initially estimated at 35, grew to 50 and by weeks' end topped out at 57 -- throughout these fluctuations Divi staff didn't bat and eye. Working with their F&B director to execute a: 1. welcome to the island happy hour, 2. a wedding cocktail hour, 3. a wedding reception and 4. a 'bon voyage' breakfast the following day was a total pleasure. I have to also make a special shout out to the bartenders at Gizmo's (Juan in particular who is certainly an Island Legend in the making) who all were conversational, polite, professional, service-oriented, happy people. They were equal parts entertaining, respectful and caring towards my guests and inadvertently became a much talked about component of the weekend.

If between this post and my February review I haven't swayed some new trippers to check Divi out then I never will, but this much is certain my wife and I will be back every year to spend a week in paradise ( only 341 days to go).

(Disclaimers: We never had occasion to try room service or the spa, but the front desk was very friendly. Also, do yourself a favor, use the marketplace sparingly. We made one trip to the local supermarket and because of the full kitchen in our room (which included pots, pans, forks, knives and other cooking utensils) we became accustomed to preparing some of our own meals, but then we enjoy cooking on vacation. Oh and the gym was better than I thought it would be. It's no Gold's gym but has all the modern equipment you could want to feel good before a day at the beach)

Room Tip: Get a beach front apartment, or a top floor room in the old towers by the aqua mania hut, or a 2nd f...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Brendan S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
Holland House Beach Hotel
Holland House Beach Hotel
#2 of 12 in Philipsburg
Mercure Saint-Martin Marina & Spa

Been to Divi Little Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!