2,390 results
All reviewspure oceangizmos barseabreeze cafeinfinity pooltime sharesea breezefort amsterdamgrocery storejacuzzi tubone bedroom suitemain restaurantst maartenrented a carfull kitchenbay beachwater activitiespizza
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Divi Little Bay Resort has to be the prettiest resort on the island. The location and landscaping is exquisite, and you are within walking distance (or a short cab ride) to the capital, Phillipsburg, on the Dutch side. We had a casita directly across from the capital and were delighted to see the various cruise ships dock and leave each day. We loved the size and the accommodations - a bedroom, living room, kitchen and one and a half baths. The people were very friendly and helpful. A major complaint - the water took quite some time to get hot, and we were told that had been reported by others. Some amenities which are available at other resorts were missing - couldn't find a pen or a pad, no dishtowels or dishcloths, beach umbrellas are in very poor shape and you are limited to one towel per person, the robes at the spa should be replaced and some of the plumbing fixtures are corroded and are difficult to work. But these things can easily be corrected. Wifi cost "extra". Prices of food and other items at the little store are quite a bit higher than a supermarket - but that is to be expected. After touring the island we realized we had chosen wisely - we thought too many other resorts appeared to be on top of each other, were in poor locations and just didn't have the picturesque "personality" of the island we found at Divi Little Bay Resort. We recommend.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank LovemyAngel
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My husband and I spent 1 night at Divi after cruising 1 week with Wind Star. It was o.k., ocean view on the first floor. We ate lunch and a quick dinner at the bar restaurant. The people waiting on us were very pleasant. Our room was not available so they gave us another one. Small bathroom, high bathtub, and comfortable beds. The registration desk is open with steps: not easy to walk around.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I just spent a wonderful week at Divi Resort. My sister and brother-on-law have a time share and invited us to stay for a week. They were able to stay with us for 2 1/2 days and then we were on our own for the remainder of the week. The resort is beautiful. The suite that we stayed in was very clean. The view from our room's balcony was absolutely stunning. The staff were very helpful and accomodating. The drinks and food at Gizmo's bar was delicious. Nigel, Rudy, and Pierre were so pleasant and friendly. I went on my first scuba dive with the help of Anna, the instructor. Thank you to all for showing us a wonderful time. We hope to see you all again next year.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lisa K
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We enjoyed our stay until the last day when our room was ransacked while we were at dinner. We neglected to lock the sliding door, although it was closed tightly. We did not expect to be reimbursed for our loss, but it would have been nice if the hotel had given us a dinner as compensation in the name of customer relations. Their attitude was that they wanted nothing to do with our loss.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Anne H
Reviewed March 1, 2013

This review is long, but worth absolutely worth it.

My fiance and I stayed at Divi Little Bay Saint Maarten from the first to third of February to review the grounds prior to booking our wedding.

Tip: Airport to resort is $18-20 per couple. While in the taxi have your camera ready for expansive views of the South Carribean and Simpson Bay - which is home to some of the world's largest yachts.

Upon arriving we found a secluded resort with the protective and luxurious feel of a gated five-star community located on the most attractive peninsula the isle of Saint Maarten has to offer. And, the price won't bust your budget.

Staff immediately greeted our taxi, took our bags, and directed us to the open-air check-in. Check-in is a breeze and the open air counter offers a beautiful view. Your room is not far away, besides they'll offer you a golf cart ride if you need it. We went from a one-bed king to the apartment style upgrade and it was more than worth it.

Our room: We decided we could live here. The living room is exceptional with views of Divi Little Bay that allow you to see all the way to Saba Island, a potentially active volcano and the highest point in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

The accommodations are modern, the central air exceptional, and the kitchen stocked with basic utensils to allow limited entertaining - not that you will entertain indoors with the beach steps away.

We found the bed to be quite comfortable and the bathroom perfect allowing a shower for when you need a power wash and a separate tub for a relaxing bath. Don't expect the Ritz, but it is modern, it is beautiful and it is better then some so-called high-end Vegas resorts.

Bottome line: You will find the modern comforts you require to enjoy life on the beach.

There is also a little patio/terrace we used frequently for conversation and meals.

After dropping our bags we walked over to the Parrot Bar; an out door bar overlooking Little Bay with table top seating. This was perfect for catching a happy hour snack and easing into our tropical environment. The pizza was better than I expected. Being from New York I was worried, but the pizza was very good. Naturally over pizza, coronas and coladas we sat and watched the sun set over Little Bay which looks miraculous as it falls beneath the rocks separating us from nearing Cay Bay.

We then went for a wade/swim in the water which is pristine, as is the sand and the comfortable furniture laid out for you. The beach will be the highlight of your trip and your beach activities will be a recurring theme - as they should be.

Later that night we decided to venture into Phillipsburg, we waited too long. Most of Phillipsburg had shut down after 6, which is when the cruise ships exit Great Bay (more on this later). We retreated back to Divi Little Bay for a late dinner and listened to the steel drum band over dinner. They band played surprising twists on modern music, were jovial and enjoyable.

Our dinner was well made and satisfying, the best meal was yet to come. We sat by some of the tiki torches and just listened to the waves coming in. We retired shortly thereafter.

The mornings on Divi are great. For starters wake up and run over to the eastern side of the resort for your first glimpse of a Great Bay sunrise. It is beautiful and the water the bluest I've seen. It gets better, run back to your room stopping at the convenience store along the way for champagne and orange juice and watch as many as eight very large cruise ships make their way in to Great Bay from the Carribean Sea. This is also a sight to behold. We did some swimming and took pictures of our selves with the gargantuan ships in the background.
Soon thereafter we went to the indoor restaurant for breakfast. Breakfast is great. You have the option to sit in doors and dine buffet style in a manner that feels more a la carte. The servers are excellent and the indoor seating has all windowed walls to maintain the stunning vista. We, however, once again opted to sit outside and watched staff cut coconuts from the trees. The staff then invited us to try some of the fresh coconuts, they were great.

Next we went up the east side of the resort and found both Fort Amsterdam and the infinity pool view to be worth the mild excursion. I wish we had more time at the infinite pool, next time we'll be sure to stop at the centrally located convenience store, fill up our cooler and spend a whole afternoon at the infinite pool location which is somewhat secluded and perfectly situated for a group of 12 or so. We didn't spend much time at or in the pools but they were all beautiful.

We then headed back down and had a private tasting lunch prepared by the chef. It was excellent and gave us the chance to sample most of the menu. All of which was good, the jerk chick was great.

After that we departed for a day about town in Simpson bay - a mere ten minutes a way and with plenty to do. The resort staff steered us in the right direction we headed for Beacon Hill Road and had cocktails at the adjoining bar while standing underneath jumbo jets as the land on the airport runway (think that scene in Wayne's World but on a beautiful beach). We spent the rest of the day exploring Simpson beach. Other than Beacon Hill Road, regrettably I don't have much to report.

Back to the resort for dinner, an early dinner, some more quiet walks on the beach, a nightcap on our patio and another early retirement - you will too.

Sunday morning was the best day. Again we awoke before the sun came up adn took pictures of sunrise on the east side of the resort overlooking Great Bay. More mimosas and then beach play time. I immediately struck out for the activities hut while my fiance got some sun. I think it was $50 for a half hour on the resorts jet skis. It is worth it. The machinery is well maintained and I topped 50 mph sliding across the carribean sea and then jumping off the wakes provided by the incoming cruise liners. You don't have to be an expert, you don't have to go fast, but I did and it was the most exhilarating. I went back into shore, grabbed my girl and took her out on the jet skis. She love it too. We will be doing this again.

After time was up we went back to the activities hut and got our snorkel on. This was not for me, but my fiance exclaimed she had a wonderful time spotting fish, coral, etc. We swam all the way to the nearby snorkel hut, which for a fee, will allow you to spend your whole day snorkeling, drinking and eating on a secluded man made isles tucked into the corner of Little Bay.

Time went to fast, and we look forward to our return. I can say without hesitation if you are looking for time to spend together in a carribean island setting, where people are nice, exceptionally nice and accommodating, then this is for you. I can't say enough about the views, the overall relaxing feel of the place, and that it is an island onto itself, it is a community that is separate from the rest of the island and this is a very, very good thing. Also, if you want to do all that shopping, etc. Phillipsburg really is just a short cab away - but go in the day time when the cruise ships are in port.

We will be back with our cameras and look forward to more time spent with family and friends in what feels like our own little paradise. Cheers to Adriaan and his staff.

Room Tip: Spring for the apartment, make sure it is beachfront (most are).
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple