“Good value for a small resort”

Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed December 30, 2012

After staying a mega resorts with 2000+ roooms, Divi Little Bay was a nice change. We stayed in a studio room in building G. Great view and just a few minutes from the beach. The condition of our room was a little run down. It's hard to keep things up in the tropics, and this place is typical. But we saw other rooms in the process of being remodeled...ours will probably be remodeled soon.

The local mini-store was handy for beer, snacks, etc. The beachside bar has great food and excellent live music. Swimming on the Little Bay side was wonderful. Rooms that face the Great Bay have a rock beach...no swimming.

If you are looking for 5 Star opulence, this isn't it. But if you want a smaller resort with a great location, Divi is great. We will come back again.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We spent 3 nights in early December at the Little Divi and we will not be back. We had booked the accommodations for this part of our trip through a flight/hotel package with JetBlue and were really disappointed. We had spent the first 4 nights of our trip at the Viceroy in Anguilla and it was a complete 180 in every sense when it came to the quality, service and accommodations we experienced at the Little Divi.

When we first walked into the room at the Little Divi we were immediately hit with a mold/mildew smell...there was a water damaged ceiling in the bathroom and black specks of what we thought were either mold or mildew (maybe dirt?) growing on the ceiling in the living room. I called the front desk to see if we could switch rooms and was told they would call us back in a few minutes. I didn't think it would take that long to tell me if there were other rooms available but had to call back twice after hearing nothing from the front desk. The first time I was told there were no other rooms available. After being told this I called JetBlue and told them what kind of hell we were in and needed them to get us into another hotel (preferably the Westin which we should have gone with in the first place). The JetBlue agent was great and told me to call the front desk and tell them we wanted to be released from our agreement with the Little Divi due to the poor accommodations we were assigned and their inability to deliver a room that was habitable (my wife and I have mild asthma and we would have never survived a night in this room). Miraculously, after threatening to leave they were able to find us another room (an upgrade to a 1 BR suite which I'm sure they didn't want to give us in the first place). We found the new room acceptable and moved. The new room wasn't perfect either but it didn't smell. The room had incredibly slick tile floors which we found was kept somewhat dry by keeping the fans running 24/7 and little brown ants which seemed to congregate in the bathtub.

The beach is ok. After coming from Anguilla I think anything would have been a let down. Our biggest complaint with the pool/beach is the towel policy where you're only give 1 towel a day.

In the end, we survived but will not return.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brian L
Reviewed December 28, 2012

$20 cab fare from airport to hotel.
We arrived around 8pm the night before a scheduled afternoon departure on a scuba diving liveaboard called the Caribbean Explorer II.
Our room was on the 2nd floor of building D, overlooking the main pool.
Snack shop that servers bare essentials of water, beers, wines and other basic sundries closes at 9pm ... prices for items we needed were reasonable.
Hit the beach side bar, Seabreeze, for a few watery rum punches. Discussions w/ a few folks that had been there for the week evoked very positive reviews. Prices were about what you'd expect for a hotel/resort beach side bar.

Room was a king sized bed studio w/ a nice bathroom --- walk in shower w/ good pressure, deep 2 person whirlpool tub; nice patio w/ small table; small kitchenette w/ 2 burner stove top & small refridgerator. All would have served us just fine for a week long stay.

Grounds were superb -- clean, seemed very well maintained & location of the resort allows it to feel very private and secure.

Morning walk took me up to the Fort Amsterdam overlook which is very much worth the climb... not very strenuous but don't know that I'd do it in flip-flops. Great views from atop the hill. Walk also allowed me to discover the small infinity pool that is on the far southern end of the buildings. Nice LITTLE spot, hidden away.

Beach is not the nice soft white sands some may like, bit pebblely but plenty of chairs & cove seems to be very well protected so there didn't appear that there would be much surge to deal with.

Only real down side we found was during the checkout process (on a Saturday morning for us) w/ the increased number of persons checking out it seemed that there were quite a few folks waiting for rides to haul their luggage to the checkout counter --- which depending on which building you were in could be a several block walk. We didn't mind hauling our stuff. Others preferred to wait curbside for a ride in a cart.

Would I stay here again? yes.
Good location, staff we encountered was helpful. We are not the type to buy into the all inclusive so eating on property would not affect us.

Room Tip: Building D is about as far from the main offices that I'd opt for. Bit of a hike if you were sta...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank john e
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Where to begin? First, I should disclose that I am an 18-year timeshare owner at this resort. WIth that being said, I have had good stays and not so good stays here. I had requested an extra week in my same 1 bedroom deluxe room which is not normally so easily accomodated however the manager, Sandra Rogers, made it a point to email me and keep me updated. She made it possible for us to stay in our same place for 16 days which was huge since it would have been a hardship to have to move rooms with all of our food, luggage, stuff, etc. Its the little (actually really HUGE) things like this that keep me coming back. Now there are some not so great things as well including the hot tub that didn't work, the broken refrigerator door, the rusted silverware and teapot and dirty tissue behind the bed that I had to point out however all of these things were promptly taken care of once reported. The housekeeping staff has added some new people and unfortunately they don't do as good a job as the regular housekeeping staff like Joanne and the supervisor, Georgette (?). I love the fact that the majority of the staff has been there for years and that they remember the owners. It gives me a great sense of security to see Suzanne, Odine, Edgar, Blake, Russell, and Roger when I return. They know me and my family and are always helpful to a fault. I especially love the fact that no matter how many pieces or how heavy my luggage is Roger is always willing to help us load/unload it without my having to ask him. He's so sweet and special. I love Odine as she ALWAYS knows where to find anything and everything on island. Suzanne is the BEST sales manager; she's extremely professional and never wastes your time. She also gets you the best deals if you're in the market to purchase Divi property. All in all Divi Little Bay is my home away from home; it has the best location (close to Front St in Phillipsburg but far enough away to deter crime); it has its own private beach but also three great pools/hot tubs so if you're not feeling up to driving to one of SXM's 37 other beaches you can just hang out on property. I can't wait to get back there for Carnival (late April/early May); our 1 bedroom suite sleeps 6 so me and my girlfriends have a great time at the Divi and we all feel so safe.

Room Tip: I personally prefer the little bay side as you can usually see the cruise ships on the great bay sid...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mel C
Reviewed December 26, 2012

The resort room that we had was just renovated. It was comfortable and convenient to all activities. The staff was friendly and helpful. The dining was casual at their beach bars. The Resort has great Happy Hours!!!!! A walk to Fort Amsterdam gives you a view of the ships arriving in the Phillipsburg Harbour. We had a great time and would visit again if we went on a Windstar cruise.

Room Tip: Ask for a resort room on the Divi Little Bay Beach on the second floor. Most of the "hotel&quo...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Charlene J
Reviewed December 25, 2012

So, yet another year at Divi Little Bay, Saint Martin. We love it here. This resort has gotten better and better since we acquired our T/S (2001). Our own T/S (studio) seemed very large when we purchased, as our son was a tot, but now he is a big 6'2 teenager and we upgraded to a one bedroom suite. This year, we are facing Big Bay. I was a bit nervous with Big Bay, never having stayed on this side of the resort. Well, I have fallen in love. No bugs; the wind takes care of them. Such a gorgeous view of the harbour, lights of the town and view of the boats. Peace and quiet; of course, when we want to get into the action we just walk across the small cobblestone pathway to Little Bay, the "boardwalk", beach, bars, pools and resturaunts. We have always been on the Little bay side, steps from the sand, and this year we have a large grass yard with palm trees. The condo is gorgeous. Staff very accomodating. I just do not understand any negative reviews. Having traveled and stayed at so many T/S and other hotel and resorts, we keep comming back to Divi Little Bay year after year. There is truely something under the stars and sun for everyone. It is packed this week, but never feels crowded. Service is very good. Can't complain about daily trash service; mid week cleaning, and lovely housekeeping staff giving us extras that you pay for at most other resorts ummmm MARIOTT ! Never too hot as there are always tradewinds blowing across the peninsula. Many activities for those that wish to do so; 3 pools, many hot tubs, 3 resturaunts, on site grocery store on site few other stores, spa.... I always recommend you get a car and go see the island. While we could sit at Divi all day, there are so many gorgeous beaches, Lolas (BBQ), such an international destination. Definately a great island, and probably the best T/S resort on the island. Why people complain? I have no idea but we are so happy at Divi we are getting another week. The price of paying per night is HUGE at the Christmas to NY time and buying a beach front (few feet to the sand and ocean) condo is a dream. I highly recommend Divi; year after year now we have enjoyed Divi Little Bay, and also have visited their resorts in Aruba and St Croix. I like the French and European Flair thus we come back year after year.

Room Tip: Divi has so many different types of rooms. Value(s) that is, points and exchanges vary depending on...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank myworldexperiences
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We have been going to St. Martin for 15+ years and have always seen the DIvi. We stayed at Divi Phoenix in Aruba and it was very nice. This time we decided to try out the Little Bay in Phillipsburg.
I arrived mid week due to illness but Divi did not disappoint. The grounds were kept clean and the staff was very friendly.
This location is perfect for a quite peaceful trip for those who want to relax. I was there recovering after surgery so it was great. Each day I could go out on the Balcony and watch the cruise ships come into Phillipsburg and all the mega yachts enjoy the bay.
There are a few shops for coffee and provisions and gifts which is very handy. Phillipsburg is withhin walking distance or you can take a cab ($8.00 us). The bus doesn't pick up at the resort so you either taxi or car rent. Thrifty is on site if you feel daring. (have had bad experiences)
But if it the St. Martin party or gambling is what your after its not set up for that. You will have to travel to Simpson Bay ($15.00us) or Maho ($20.00). The taxi's have set prices so they are all the same, rates do go up after dark. But I can say every driver was friendly professional and a pleasure riding with. I used them everyday and didn't have a bad ride.
I was in the time share section and at teh top of the hill. The room was very spacious and clean. Everything worked fine.
The resort has access to Ft. Amsterdam. Not alot left but it was worth the hike up the hill to the point. Hopefully the history society can keep it up, it would be a shame to see it off limits.
Unfortunetly this time I was unable to enjoy the beach and water activities but everything was right there.
I would definetly recommend this location knowing that all resorts can't please everyone, but DIVI hits most of them.

Room Tip: All the rooms appeared to have a few of the water, some a little better than others. But I feel the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jim c
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Alamanda Resort
#5 of 8 in Orient Bay
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to Divi Little Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!