“Two weeks in Paradise” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Atlanta
“Two weeks in Paradise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Where to begin? First, I should disclose that I am an 18-year timeshare owner at this resort. WIth that being said, I have had good stays and not so good stays here. I had requested an extra week in my same 1 bedroom deluxe room which is not normally so easily accomodated however the manager, Sandra Rogers, made it a point to email me and keep me updated. She made it possible for us to stay in our same place for 16 days which was huge since it would have been a hardship to have to move rooms with all of our food, luggage, stuff, etc. Its the little (actually really HUGE) things like this that keep me coming back. Now there are some not so great things as well including the hot tub that didn't work, the broken refrigerator door, the rusted silverware and teapot and dirty tissue behind the bed that I had to point out however all of these things were promptly taken care of once reported. The housekeeping staff has added some new people and unfortunately they don't do as good a job as the regular housekeeping staff like Joanne and the supervisor, Georgette (?). I love the fact that the majority of the staff has been there for years and that they remember the owners. It gives me a great sense of security to see Suzanne, Odine, Edgar, Blake, Russell, and Roger when I return. They know me and my family and are always helpful to a fault. I especially love the fact that no matter how many pieces or how heavy my luggage is Roger is always willing to help us load/unload it without my having to ask him. He's so sweet and special. I love Odine as she ALWAYS knows where to find anything and everything on island. Suzanne is the BEST sales manager; she's extremely professional and never wastes your time. She also gets you the best deals if you're in the market to purchase Divi property. All in all Divi Little Bay is my home away from home; it has the best location (close to Front St in Phillipsburg but far enough away to deter crime); it has its own private beach but also three great pools/hot tubs so if you're not feeling up to driving to one of SXM's 37 other beaches you can just hang out on property. I can't wait to get back there for Carnival (late April/early May); our 1 bedroom suite sleeps 6 so me and my girlfriends have a great time at the Divi and we all feel so safe.

Room Tip: I personally prefer the little bay side as you can usually see the cruise ships on the great bay sid...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mel C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (701)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

The resort room that we had was just renovated. It was comfortable and convenient to all activities. The staff was friendly and helpful. The dining was casual at their beach bars. The Resort has great Happy Hours!!!!! A walk to Fort Amsterdam gives you a view of the ships arriving in the Phillipsburg Harbour. We had a great time and would visit again if we went on a Windstar cruise.

Room Tip: Ask for a resort room on the Divi Little Bay Beach on the second floor. Most of the "hotel&quo...
1 Thank Charlene J
Plymouth, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

So, yet another year at Divi Little Bay, Saint Martin. We love it here. This resort has gotten better and better since we acquired our T/S (2001). Our own T/S (studio) seemed very large when we purchased, as our son was a tot, but now he is a big 6'2 teenager and we upgraded to a one bedroom suite. This year, we are facing Big Bay. I was a bit nervous with Big Bay, never having stayed on this side of the resort. Well, I have fallen in love. No bugs; the wind takes care of them. Such a gorgeous view of the harbour, lights of the town and view of the boats. Peace and quiet; of course, when we want to get into the action we just walk across the small cobblestone pathway to Little Bay, the "boardwalk", beach, bars, pools and resturaunts. We have always been on the Little bay side, steps from the sand, and this year we have a large grass yard with palm trees. The condo is gorgeous. Staff very accomodating. I just do not understand any negative reviews. Having traveled and stayed at so many T/S and other hotel and resorts, we keep comming back to Divi Little Bay year after year. There is truely something under the stars and sun for everyone. It is packed this week, but never feels crowded. Service is very good. Can't complain about daily trash service; mid week cleaning, and lovely housekeeping staff giving us extras that you pay for at most other resorts ummmm MARIOTT ! Never too hot as there are always tradewinds blowing across the peninsula. Many activities for those that wish to do so; 3 pools, many hot tubs, 3 resturaunts, on site grocery store on site few other stores, spa.... I always recommend you get a car and go see the island. While we could sit at Divi all day, there are so many gorgeous beaches, Lolas (BBQ), such an international destination. Definately a great island, and probably the best T/S resort on the island. Why people complain? I have no idea but we are so happy at Divi we are getting another week. The price of paying per night is HUGE at the Christmas to NY time and buying a beach front (few feet to the sand and ocean) condo is a dream. I highly recommend Divi; year after year now we have enjoyed Divi Little Bay, and also have visited their resorts in Aruba and St Croix. I like the French and European Flair thus we come back year after year.

Room Tip: Divi has so many different types of rooms. Value(s) that is, points and exchanges vary depending on...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank myworldexperiences
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

We have been going to St. Martin for 15+ years and have always seen the DIvi. We stayed at Divi Phoenix in Aruba and it was very nice. This time we decided to try out the Little Bay in Phillipsburg.
I arrived mid week due to illness but Divi did not disappoint. The grounds were kept clean and the staff was very friendly.
This location is perfect for a quite peaceful trip for those who want to relax. I was there recovering after surgery so it was great. Each day I could go out on the Balcony and watch the cruise ships come into Phillipsburg and all the mega yachts enjoy the bay.
There are a few shops for coffee and provisions and gifts which is very handy. Phillipsburg is withhin walking distance or you can take a cab ($8.00 us). The bus doesn't pick up at the resort so you either taxi or car rent. Thrifty is on site if you feel daring. (have had bad experiences)
But if it the St. Martin party or gambling is what your after its not set up for that. You will have to travel to Simpson Bay ($15.00us) or Maho ($20.00). The taxi's have set prices so they are all the same, rates do go up after dark. But I can say every driver was friendly professional and a pleasure riding with. I used them everyday and didn't have a bad ride.
I was in the time share section and at teh top of the hill. The room was very spacious and clean. Everything worked fine.
The resort has access to Ft. Amsterdam. Not alot left but it was worth the hike up the hill to the point. Hopefully the history society can keep it up, it would be a shame to see it off limits.
Unfortunetly this time I was unable to enjoy the beach and water activities but everything was right there.
I would definetly recommend this location knowing that all resorts can't please everyone, but DIVI hits most of them.

Room Tip: All the rooms appeared to have a few of the water, some a little better than others. But I feel the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank jim c
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed at DIVI Little Bay on two days, a Pre-cruise and a Post-cruise stay. The setting is beautiful and grounds are well kept. The rooms are average to poor. The room we had on the Pre- stay was nice but nothing special and not a suit. The veranda let you step right onto the beach. And we were able to get right into the room from our arrival from the airport. The food was good and resort/hotel was a great place to start our Cruise with Windstar. When we returned to the hotel after the cruise you would think we went to a completely different place. We came from the ship at 8:45 am. The checkin process took over 45 min. because only one person was on duty. It didn't make much difference though because they would not have a room for us until after 4 PM. That was it, no offer to use the guest day room or any other facility until our room was ready. Since we had been there the weekend before we knew they had a guest day room and where the eating places were, they were not helpful. Even though we returned several times to check on our room availability they said it was not ready, however when it got to be 4:35 and we didn't get paged and everyone else waiting had gotten paged before 4 PM we went back. They said our pager was not working (more likely they forgot) and the room had been ready for over an hour. The problem then was to get our luggage from storage, no bell hops available to unlock the room, another 15 -20 wait. Finally got in our room around 5 PM. It was a suite but not as nice as the room we had the week before. All the furniture was broken and scared, the room was musty and there was little water pressure. It was now too late to use the beach, which was further away than the previous room. The night manager called to offer apologies and a free breakfast but that was already part of our package. No other offer was made. The main resturant was closed for a private party so the only choise was a BBQ at the beach bar. This was mobbed. The food was cold and they kept running out of major portions of the BBQ. What good is a beautiful place and a great sandy beach if you can't enjoy them. I think Windstar is just as much to blame as the hotel. Why should they continue to use this place if they know the people they book into there are not being treated well? A beautiful setting but is it really worth the hassle?

Room Tip: Regular rooms (not suites) near the center of the resort are best and nicest if you want to use the...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ron Z
Brighton, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed in a suite with a great view. The room was large, modern, clean and comfortable. The grounds were very nice. We never used the pool or beach as it was a pre-cruise stay. The outdoor bar/restaurant was very nice with good food and happy hours. Friday night a local highschool steel band came and played Christmas songs, etc. It was a very nice surprise. You can walk into Phillipsburg if you are in fairly good shape or take the $8 pp taxi ride. That is also the taxi price to the ship terminal. A very good value. The staff is friendly, the grounds are very clean and be sure to stop by and visit the scarlet macaws near the outdoor lobby.

Room Tip: I was told that the "hotel" style rooms were not very good. Choose a more expensive suite...
Corvallis, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

We spent one night in the hotel after our cruise before flying back to the states. We arrived at 9am and played on the beach until check in at 4pm. The hotel stored our bags and provided free beach towels, chaises, and umbrellas. Fortunately, they let us check in at 2pm. Our room was on the ground level next to the outdoor beach shower and had a comfortable bed, big tv. and small terrace. Cleaning staff use a really smelly cleaning solution so we had to air out the room for a while, but I'd rather that than the alternative. If I was staying for several nights, I would get an upper floor room to feel more safe with just the terrace screen door or to a suite with a kitchen. It would have been nice to have a refrigerator, but we got yogurt at the little store at the hotel in the morning. We had good fish tacos at the pool cafe and an excellent dinner at the Gingerbread cafe up the beach. Recommend for good value and great beach.

Room Tip: Ground level floors have foot traffic between beach and room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Byknutt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Alamanda Resort
#4 of 8 in Orient Bay
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino

Been to Divi Little Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!