“A lot to be desired” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
New York City, New York
“A lot to be desired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My husband & I had booked a 10 day honeymoon in St. Martin and were staying at Divi for the first three nights to be close to Phillipsburg, shoppng and some nightlife. Despite the fact that we booked a "KIng" room, we were given a double run-down with 2 full-sized beds. When I asked to moved and explained that we were on our honeymoon, the initial repsonse was unprofessional. Managment laughed and said they had no rooms but to check back the next day. We were moved to a much better room with a King bed the next day. I would have moved hotels otherwise. The beach at Divi is lovely. Fort Amsterdam is a short hike. The sunsets are nice, especially looking at from the infinity pool. However, the resort leaves a lot to be desired. It caters to timeshare guests. If you are there as a hotel guest, they want you to buy a timeshare. There was certaibly no lack of persuasion, which became cumbersome.

1 Thank JFTBBKLYN
DiviResorts, General Manager at Divi Little Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for your posting on the internet. I believe we met at our Manager’s cocktail party where you indicated that you were on your honeymoon and that your room didn’t have a king-size bed. We indeed requested you to visit our front desk the following morning seeing that we were fully booked so we could see if another room would open up. I am happy to read that you were pleased with the room we assigned you that same morning. We are happy that you loved our beach, the fort and our infinity pool with the beautiful sunsets. We are sorry that we didn’t exceed your expectations and we hope that you will still visit our beautiful island.

Thank you!

Celine Van Meer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
  • Korean first
Princeton, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and I have owned a week at Divi Little Bay for about 10 years now. This year we traveled there for two weeks.
The property grounds are just plain lovely. The groundskeepers should be commended for the way the outside is kept. Beautifully maintained and lovely.
Our first week's room was at the top of the hill on the property. Anyone who has stayed at the Divi Little Bay knows that hill. It's a tough hike! But my husband and I can always use the exercise so it was okay. Our first night was marred by some loud music coming from Toucan's restaurant but it didn't go too late so it was okay.
Our second week, we stayed in our usual room facing Little bay. I always loved our usual room because it is lovely and quiet. The first three nights in our room were marred by the loud music coming from the bar area. I called to complain and the music was turned down for a short time. However, the volume was turned back up just before we were retiring for the night. This happened the next night as well. For the record, I add that I have a hearing deficit in one ear from a Metallica concert 10 years ago! And I could still hear the music despite being all the way across Little Bay from the restaurant.
I finally requested to be moved to another room. Sandra, the front desk manager is a class act. She was very upset to hear that we were being bothered by the music on our vacation. She moved us to a room as far from Gizmo's bar as possible...and the room could not have been more perfect. The last nights of our vacation were absolutely perfect. We could sit outside on our balcony and enjoy the sound of the waves in Great Bay which is what we always liked about Divi Little Bay.
There are a few things which should probably be addressed about the resort however. The service in all of the restaurants is just plain bad. It is my belief that automatically adding the 15% to the bill for the tip is what is driving this poor service. I know that many of the restaurants on the Dutch side of the island do this and it is unfortunate.
On the French side, tips are not even expected unless you receive extraordinary service. and we have ALWAYS received extraordinary service on the French side.
There were a couple times that we ordered pizza at Gizmo's (whilst shouting over the overly loud music I might add) when we felt like we were actually bothering the bartender.
It appears to us that Divi is trying to get people to stay at the resort and that is why they are hosting live music. If you want people to stay and eat at the restaurants, the food quality and the service need to be improved markedly. My husband and I talked to several long time members who agreed with us on the food quality and service.
Another issue we had was on checkout day. Checkout is always a bit of a process so we tried to get out of the room around 10am to make it down to the front desk. We called at 10am for a bellman and waited 45 minutes. Still no bellman. We called again and waited 15 more minutes. Still no bellman. So, we decided to carry our bags down ourselves.
It seems that there ought to be a better way to handle this. There were plenty of groundskeepers out there with golf carts and we wondered why those weren't pressed into service on checkout day.
All in all, Divi Little Bay has made some huge improvements in the past 10 years. Hiring Sandra Rogers as the front desk manager was probably the biggest improvement they have ever made.
However, the food and service at the restaurants is really lacking. And it would be nice if they had control over the people who were playing the music so that if they were asked to turn it down they would leave it down.

Room Tip: Getting a room on Great Bay side was the key to peace and quiet for us.
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank Laurie S
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This was a fantastic place to stay for our honeymoon. My husband and I went here after exchanging time share through RCI. We were there over thanksgiving and got to celebrate the holiday there. The beach at little bay is beautiful, with free chairs/umbrella (not so anywhere else on the island). It was busy, but we had a lot of fun. The on-site restaurants were fantastic and great price. We sat through the sales pitch for a Divi time share but, even though we didn't buy, Haresh was nice and a good salesman. Russell assisted us with our baggage and was nice and accommodating. Juliana was our concierge and she was always helpful and friendly. The room was a studio one-bedroom and had a convection oven and fridge. The view from the balcony was probably the worst in the resort (our building was behind others) but it was still gorgeous. Fort Amsterdam was also inside the resort and we hiked up to watch the sunset there-- totally worth it! The view of the cruise ships in and out of harbor was great. Unlike Laurie S., we really enjoyed the live music and the Seabreeze Cafe. They had delicious Mahi-Mahi and the bands were good. The location was perfect between Simpson Bay and Phillipsburg but turning that sharp corner into the resort could be dicey at times. Overall, the best vacation I've ever had!

2 Thank Melissa M
Hilton Head, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We had previously exchanged for a week at the Divi Phoenix in Aruba and loved it. When we had the opportunity to exchange at Divi Little Bay over Thanksgiving week, we jumped at the chance. Overall, this was a great resort. Everyone was helpful and pleasant. Loved the view of the cruise ship action from our balcony and the beach was a short stroll away.

We had a one bedroom unit with a sofa bed. The king bed was comfy and the main bath huge. My teenage son (6ft 1) said the sofa bed was pretty good. The kitchen worked well for breakfast and lunch prep. The patio was a good size and was great for morning coffee and cruise ship watching. More than enough storage throughout the condo.

We rented a car from the onsite agency and enjoyed having the freedom to come and go as we pleased. We felt very secure throughout the resort.

The condo is in need of some sprucing up - ceilings, tile grout, slider bar on patio door - but it is cosmetic only. Everything was fully functional.

I would happily return to Divi Little Bay.

Room Tip: Prior to arrival, I requested a ground floor room due to some knee issues. There are no elevators a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank KACGU
Philipsburg, null, Netherlands Antilles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Last Saturday we had a Cocktail, Dinner and Entertainment Party at The Seabreeze Restaurant at Divi Little Bay Resort and it exceeded our expectations by far! Staff and F&B Director in particular were very driven to make all our dreams come true. Fantastic location at the water front around the pool, which lights up the party even more. Best location on SXM for your private parties!!!

Thanks Arjan!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marit362
New Canaan, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

A great value for the money! We had a ground floor junior suite with a patio that was less than 30' from the sea. What a view!!! In addition, the bathroom had a jacuzzi tub & a great shower with tiled seating. The grounds of the entire resort were very well tended. Housekeeping staff left something to be desired though -- very casual approach to room maintenance but just good enough to keep us from complaining. Front desk staff are reasonably friendly. (Pick up a copy of the International edition of the Miami Herald at the frront desk every morning, if you're interested in what's new in the world.) Excellent TV channel selection in the rooms. // Several fresh water swimming pools on the property. The property, by the way, is enormous. You won't feel hemmed in by your neighbors. Some free activities for children & adults were available -- not many though. But the beach at the resort should be enough to keep anyone of any age happy throughout the week. // As for the restaurants: 1. Try Toucan for breakfast & dinner. Very good. The dining room is rather luxe. Nice patio for outdoor dining on the seafront. 2. Gizmo's is a beach bar, serving a limited lunch/dinner menu. Live music in the evening. Nice ambience. Sea Breeze is a pool bar & lunch place. We never ate there. Rather crowded during the day. // When you've tired of the sea, the pools, & the food, try a hike up the hill to Fort Amsterdam at the southern end of the property. The ruins are very interesting & well marked. The views were over the top incredible & well worth the uphill hike.

Room Tip: Choose ground floor beachfront rooms. You can watch the sunset from your patio. (Some buildings are...
3 Thank Abernathy15
Boyertown PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for the second time back in October. Check-in and check out on Saturdays is a long wait. They should have more people manning the front desk. Over an hour wait is too long. When we first got into our room 205 building B we loved the sight of the ocean right outside of our balcony. Last time we stayed up on the hill and the walk was difficult for us to get to our room. Room 205 was perfect until we sat on the bed. The whole left side of the bed was broken. It felt like there was no springs in it. We called the front desk right away and they said they would send someone to look at it. We waited an hour, no one came. We decided to stop at the front desk on our way to the Grand Marche. When we got to the desk and explained the issue again the guy had no idea what we were talking about but said he would send someone to look at it while we were shopping. By the time we arrived back to our room around 7pm the bed was still broken. We put our groceries away and headed back to the front desk. There was another gentleman there who once again had no record of our complaint. He then proceeded to tell us that no one would be available to do anything about it until Monday. My poor husband slept on that side of the bad for the night. The next morning we went back to the front desk. A woman there said the best she could do was downgrade our room to a room without a kitchenette. We already paid for that room in full and had a bunch of groceries for the week. I asked why we simply could not get a new mattress. I was told they had no more and if we didnt want to move there was nothing else they could do for us. We spent the whole week sleeping on a broken bed and no one seemed to care.
The room itself was very nice. The view of the beach(just steps away) was fabulous! The maid service was great( I guess they didnt notice they were changing sheets on a broken bed).
Mimi at the bar makes one Delicious pizza! The entertainment every night was also very good.
The beach is the reason we decided to go to Little Divi for a second trip. The water is so calm and relaxing. I believe its the nicest beach on the island.
I dream daily of being back on that beach and relaxing. My husband and I recently discussed if we were going to save up and go back there next year. At this point I think my heavenly beach will stay in my dreams and not become a reality because I will stay someplace else on the island.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank BlkMamba
Thank you for sharing your Divi Little Bay Beach Resort experience and thank you for coming back to our resort for the 2nd time. I am happy that you decided to come back and that you appreciated everything about our resort except for the bed. I am not sure where the miscommunication took place. If a bed is broken it needs to be fixed.

I am sorry that we didn’t exceed your expectations and seeing that you appreciated everything else about our resort, I really hope you would still be willing to come back for the 3rd time. Please feel free to contact me directly so I can make sure you will have a wonderful stay with us next time around.

Celine
celine.vanmeer@diviresorts.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Grand Case Beach Club
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#1 of 3 in Anse Marcel
4.0 of 5 stars 1,855 reviews

Been to Divi Little Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!