“Divi is AWESOME! the Safest Private resort on St Maarten.”

Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed October 26, 2012

READ ME PLEASE!!!!!!

We chose Divi Little Bay Resort because it is within walking distance of the Capitol " Phillipsburg" on the Dutch side of the Island of St Maarten where all the Major Cruise ships come in for the day, I did alot of research on this property it is located on its on private peninsula with Guards at the only entrance to the property with its own PRIVATE beach, Diving and Snorkleing shack on the beach next to a underwater reserve where they sunk a Plane, Sub, Helicopter and a Boat at about 25 feet so when you Dive or Snorkel you can check the sunken items out. Ask for Irene the Dive master she is from Holland and such a Doll she spent quality time with us and gave us a great tour of the underwater park and reef. Haresh Balani would greet us and made us feel extra special personaly invited us to the free cocktail hour, Live band night, Free Drink night and a raffel and told us of special events the Divi was having each day or night, The beautiful Natasha at the front desk gave us the best room on the property 2027 and 2026 and was always there to help us with her lovely smile. The super sweet gal who works the excursion desk booked us a great day trip to Anguilla it was a lovely trip she took quality time to explain the wonderful things we could do on the Island. I felt super safe on the property day and night. I felt super welcome by all the staff to many to name everyone that worked there seemed HAPPY and I can understand why. The food was wonderful when we are on property the all you can eat breakfast buffet was yummy. there was dancing on the beach with live music. there was "Satchmo" this guy sounded so much like Luis Armstrong when we walked up he was singing " What a wonderful world " I thought it was a recording then he started talking over the cheers it was only then I realized this was a live performer and about fell off my chair. I give this RESORT 1 Million Stars! Jim Mortensen Windsor California

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank oubuzzard

Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Divi from September 23-September 30, 2012. We had booked our trip early and were staying through timeshare, which we booked prior to our flights. When we went to book our flights, we could only get flights leaving the day after our arrival was supposed to happen, which would mean that we would have to find somewhere to stay our last night. I e-mailed the hotel a few times, and was pleasantly surprised by their quick responses. We were able to change our reservations directly with the hotel so our accommodations matched our flights. There are also several different room categories which confused us, and we requested an upgraded room if possible.

When we arrived, we had rented a car from the airport through Tropicana recommended through Jef Berger's site. My parents had used them before, so we booked it prior to leaving Canada. They met us at the airport, drove us to their office, signed papers and we were off. In off season it was $99 for the week (as it was off season), plus insurance, which ended up being $180. We also filled the tank for $60 and did not fill it again. Very reasonable for the week. The car was nothing to write home about, but it did us very well - all we really cared about was the air conditioning.

We arrived at the hotel and were greeted by a very nice man, Russell. He helped us with our bags, waited while we checked in and drove us to our room. When we got to our room our key didn't work, so we had to go all the way back to the front desk. Russell drove us back, and then took us on a tour of the resort so we knew where everything was.

Our room was upgraded to a one bedroom ocean view. We were the last room on the resort closest to Belair Hotel. The room had clearly been recently updated and was beautiful. The kitchen was large and had anything you really needed to make a few meals. We did have some ants which is apparently common, but they didn't bother us too much. If we went back, we would take a couple of those ant killer things just to help the situation.

This unit (2028) had two balconies, one off the bedroom and one off the living room, both with chairs and a table. We had amazing views of the resort and the ocean. The bed was king size, and there was a tub and a separate sink off the bedroom, and then the bathroom had a stand alone shower with another sink and the toilet. It was lovely. The living room had two chairs and a couch with a flat screen tv, and another tv in the bedroom. The unit also had laundry, but we did not use it. There was a small closet near the entrance to the room, and the closet in the bedroom was very large. The night tables also had storage, and the dresser had 9 drawers. Plenty of storage.

The towels were changed everyday. They were not soft by any means. We took our own beach towels, although did use the ones at the hotel which were small and not soft at all. The toilet paper was also not great, but there was plenty of it and kleenex.

There are mosquitos in the room and on the balcony. The hotel provies large citronella candles in the room and on the balcony. We used them everyday but still found that we got bit. Although a bit annoying, we killed quite a few of them. We mentioned it to a few locals and they said that it was common all over the island. We found the same issues in a few of the off site restaurants we went to as well. Although an annoyance, it would not deter us from going back. I would recommend bringing some citronella spray, or off. If you have allergies to mosquito bites, I would likely not recommend staying here.

We ate at the resort a couple of times. Twice at Gizmos Bar. The older gentleman at the bar was definitely moody as a prior reviewer indicated. The younger gentleman was really nice and was very accommodating. We had the pizza, which was very good, although a bit greasy. We also had the mozzarella sticks and the jalepeno poppers, which were also very good. I believe we also had the chicken wings, but we didn't like them very much. We also attended the breakfast buffet and had the full breakfast. This was our last day - the food was excellent and we wished that we had have eaten there all week.

The pools were all lovely and a very nice temperature. The infinity pool was absolutely stunning and a popular spot at sunset. We got a few spectacular photos there.

Other than the ants and the mosquitos, we really had no other issues with the resort. There were a couple of mornings that we heard the staff yelling at each other at around 6am, which was a bit annoying, but we get up early so it didn't really bother us. The safe is a bit small, but a nice feature in the room. We did not try and walk to Philipsburg - it was a very short drive and there is plenty of parking on the back streets.

Recommendations:

1. Buy a road map. We bought one through Jef Berger's site before we left and the map was essential on our trip. We used it every single day. We also saw them for sale at the grocery stores.

2. Bring bug spray.

3. Call restaurants in off season prior to travelling to them as lots of places are closed for holidays.

4. Contact the resort and ensure what room you are in. Request an updated room if possible. The staff are all very nice - Sandra and Celine were very helpful and very nice when speaking by e-mail.

5. We bought pool noodles while we were there - very expensive. If you can go to a dollar store or similar to buy blow up ones or hollow ones that you can pack in your suitcase you won't regret it. We took them to the beaches and just floated in the water. It was heaven and our days at the beach would not have been the same without them.

6. If you want to snorkel off the resort, bring water shoes. The very left hand side of the beach has nice snorkling, but it is very rocky. The other side is soft beautiful sand, but does not have as much wildlife. You can rent the snorkel equipment off the resort. We took our own so do not know the quality of theirs.

We had an absolutely wonderful time and would not hesitate to return to this resort. We find all resorts that we have travelled to have had their pros and cons, but most of them have been worth the try. This one is no exception. We hope we can return next year.

More than willing to answer questions if you need. Happy travels!

Room Tip: Request an upgraded room - we had 2028 and it was perfect.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank mel_o_dell
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is my second time to Divi, and it was wonderful! The atmosphere here just lends itself to relaxtion, de-stressing, and having fun. The beach is small, yet private with snorkling and jet skiing. 3 wonderful pools. A spa where I had a fabulous Relaxation Massage, and the views!
Food was fabulous (I'm gluten-free), the bar was always hopping, and the service was outstanding. Shaleeza, our room service person, went above and beyond making us comfortable in our room. Roger was always there to give us a ride up the hill, Haresh is so gracious, they treat you like family. Can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Be firm. I had an issue once I got into my room. It was NOT what I had requested, and the bathroom h...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank robinlane61
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is the second time we stayed here, I am doing one review for both, one for the studio suite and the other for "just a room".

Studio Suite, this is the reason I did not give it a five star rating! We paid extra for the kitchenette and the microwave did not work at all. The front desk was unhelpful to our needs. The suite was located at the top of the hill, I did not know this as I requested a LOW level floor due to a disability. It took me almost an hour to walk up the incline with my cane, as soon as I got to the room I called the front desk and explained I have Multiple Sclerosis and am not able to walk and to please change our room, he said there was three other reservations who had not arrived yet and to call tomorrow to see if they cancelled so we could switch rooms. I had no choice but to be confined to the room as the hill took all my energy to walk, this was not the weekend getaway I had planned!!! The room itself was great, the bathroom was large with a jacuzzi tub, the only problem was they have decorative glass in the bathroom that can be looked through by people passing by your room, especially at night anyone walking by can see an image of who ever is in the bathroom when the light is on (oh, and the light switch was broken and would not shut off) so we had to place our suitcases on the shelf to block the view of people looking in.
If this had been our first stay here, then I would have rated this a ONE!!!! Due to the lack of concern from the front desk about my disability and the failure to fix the microwave and switch our room upon arrival.

Our first stay was in "just a room" no fridge, no microwave, just a beautiful room right there steps from the ocean!!! Ground level for my disability and cheaper than the studio suite! I could walk out to our balcony and listen to the waves and take in all the beauty, then get up and literally walk five steps and be on the ocean, it was fantastic!!!! This stay deserved more than five stars, it was that good!!!
The negative for disabled people would be that if you use a wheelchair there are going to be some stairs, there were two stairs to get into our ground level room the first stay, and a huge hill to climb on our second stay. There are also stairs to get down from the balcony on the ground floor, and stairs into the pool and to the front desk. No elevators! Also, the housekeepers park in the handicapped parking spaces and find nothing wrong with watching someone struggling from the uneven gravel parking lot with a cane trying to walk as they take up the space that is not intended for them.

They offer jet ski's for rent, and everyone loved them, they suggested each person get their own for the full effect of the open water and the freedom of riding on the waves, just you and the ocean. I heard many regrets from people getting one jet ski for two people, the person on the back has no fun hanging onto the driver and does not get the same experience, so my advice to anyone wanting the freedom to ride the waves, spend the extra money and get one for each person, you can't put a price on memories!!!
They have buffet breakfast for $25 per person, and a buffet dinner (I believe it was $35pp) but we never went for the dinner part. We did use the breakfast buffet and the food was amazing!
They offer a movie night, watching the Three Stooges on the open grounds on a big screen was nice, but bring bug spray as the mosquitoes love movie night too!!!
The food bar closed too early, before 9pm on Friday, we had to go off the resort for food and found out most places close early, so it was McDonald's the first night, so make sure you take into account the island life of closing early!!
We took a ferry to Anguilla, cost us $40 per person, got there in 25 minutes and took a cab because it was Sunday and everyone was closed, the cab took us to the ATM where we withdrew money to pay for the cab, $36 for a five minute ride. Then we waited to go back to St. Maarten, a total waste of time and money and a vacation day, but glad we did it so we can tell others to get up early and take the ferry to St. Barth's as opposed to Anguilla if you want a change of scenery and to visit another island. They have one ferry to St. Barth's that leaves at 9am, so get on early!

Room Tip: Disabled people need low level rooms, there is a large hill and uneven ground at the top, so take th...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tristalia
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Just back from a week of heaven. The resort is beautiful. Tropical setting, isolated from the hustle and bustle. We were on a timeshare exchange and had a 2 bedroom sleep 10 -- so it was a 1 bedroom attached to a studio.. The one bedroom had a king bed and sleep sofa in the bedroom, and a sleep sofa in the living room. The master bath was huge -with a jacuzzi tub, shower stall , large closet area, plenty of storage space - The bedroom had private balcony - The living room had a dining area for 6, pull out sofa, its own balcony , bathroom was large with shower stall. We had a full kitchen with washer and dryer. This was unit #225 in building E.. Attached was #226 -studio - which was great size- king bed, pull out sofa, balcony, large bathroom with jacuzzi. Perfect setup for 2 couples, which we had, with the living/dining/kitchen area in between us. Was a lock off-so separate entrances for each room if you wanted to.

Building E was a very short walk ( i had read about it being far) took maybe 3 minutes to get to the main beach area- and we loved the location and the views. Just a quick jump up a half flight of stairs to the infinity pool which was pretty quiet, because people from the far side of the resort wouldn't be walking all the way up there. We were a minute from Sea breeze bar/grille and pool, and 3 minutes (tops) to Gizmo's -away enough from the nightly music to hear it if we sat outside, but not too close to bother us.. Would take that unit again in a heartbeat.

Only negative I could say was the food - breakfast buffet not worth the $15 pp - cold food, not refilling items as needed. Service was slow-but we expected that in the Caribbean. Burgers, hot dogs, pizza all good at the bar- Ribs not so much... So if you stayed with the easy choices, you'll be fine -if you want a good meal - go off the resort. We had great meals at Chesterfields and the Greenhouse, and the Blue B Bar.

Nothing really within walking distance -taxi's out front all the time, we befriended one we met on the beach and kept using him all week, so he took care of us.

The beach is beautiful.. Gentle slow waves, crystal clear water, easy entrance, few rocks and drop off by Sea breeze bar, but over by Gizmo's - perfection. We brought our own floats and floated the days away.

Timeshare tour - beware- we had a very pushy salesperson. He was really putting down our way of vacationing, and that upset us.. Even when we said no, he kept going- So be careful - we got $100 resort dollars per couple, but it was a very annoying 90 minutes.

Maids do full cleanup on Wednesdays, other days is just trash removal and towel changes - and they skimped on towels if you didn't ask...

Mosquito's were BAD - bring bug spray. They had to come and spray our unit-

Check-in was very slow- only 2 or 3 check in people, and long line- takes a long time to do the paperwork -so be prepared. Check out was AWFUL.. They really need to have a check out line- because new people were coming in , and they were in the same line- so it slowed us down -and we had planes to catch. Very poor system for that - Credit card machines were down most of the week- so it all had to be done manually.

If you timeshare exchange, this is a 1-4 resort- so cannot swap back in for 4 years- disappointing, because I would go right back in a minute- but guess I'll have to wait.

Highly recommend to anyone considering this -I'd give this resort a 9 out of 10 - and only taking 1 point off for food, service, and front desk-check in and out.

Room Tip: Timeshare rooms starting in building D are closest to beach area..
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sandy823
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My sisters and niece and I went to Divi Little Bay as a last minute vacation! What a fantastic choice. It was " off" season which was amazing for us! We had the beach, bar, restaurants, and pools to ourselves most of the time! The one bedroom we had was beautiful and clean. The views were to die for! We had two balconies that overlooked the ocean which was only steps away from the room! We were on the second floor in building "b" and had close access to everything. The pools were a little small but we spent most of our time on the beach. The staff on the beach were very attentive to our needs and had chairs and umbrellas waiting for us. The rooms are updated. Ours had a full kitchen with stainless appliances. Including a dishwasher. There were two huge full baths and a washer and dryer in the unit. The water pressure wasn't too great but not enough to complain about! The food in the restaurants was very good. The market store at the resort was very pricey but convenient. The grocery store is about a 10 minute drive from the resort and the prices are comparable to our grocery prices. The prices are shown in both currencies. We went on a fantastic dinner cruise, the Lombada. So so much fun! Beware of the rum punches though! We went on a snorkelling catamaran trip as well but the weather didn't cooperate for us. The cruise itself was great. The staff at the divi were very attentive to all of our needs. Geraldine at the restaurant was a sheer delight. Treated us like her own family. Transportation was easy. Taxis. Leave the driving up to them. The roads are winding and steep! The fares are very inexpensive. $4 per person each way. The best part of our trip was our taxi driver John ( JC)! He treated us like princesses! He took us everywhere all over the island and gave us a history lesson every day. He really cared about us and our safety. What a great guy! He was based right at the resort and would wait for us daily and take us on our excursions! He took us to the best jewellery store on the island. Rays jewellers. Prices and quality are amazing. Tell him Sandy sent you! I will definitely return to Divi Littlle Bay! Such a beautiful relaxing place!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank sunworshipper1964
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Divi is located on a pennisula that separates Great Bay and Little Bay. We have a time share condo on the third floor with beautiful views of the Carribean. It's so peaceful to sit on the lanai and watch the cruise ships coming in as you drink your morning coffee. The restaurants and bars are great. All of the staff members are very friendly. It's like a home away from home.

Room Tip: If you don't own a time share, ask to book one of the time share condos. They are much nicer tha...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wild-Bill S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Holland House Beach Hotel
#1 of 12 in Philipsburg
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to Divi Little Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!