“Wonderful Rum”

Sint Maarten Guavaberry Company
Ranked #25 of 64 Shopping in Philipsburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in a historic 18th-century building, this company sells a rum-based drink that is very popular among the locals.
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We found this rum by accident. We first tried the Guavaberry Coladas at the Brothers Bar on Orient Beach. P.S. (The best Colada on Orient Beach!). We found out that we could buy it at the Emporium and have it sent back to the ship, 3 bottles at a time in a shipping box. Our party of 12 bought 3 bottles each and had them sent back to the ship. We have been back to St Maarten 3 times since and always do the same. I enjoy the original and wife likes the Almond flavor.My only wish is that I could buy it back in the States. The upcoming cruise in Feb 2014 does not include St Maarten. Dang! However we are stopping in St Thomas, Antigua, Martinique and St Croix. If anyone knows how to get it to one of these stops, please post.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

We enjoyed Guavaberry Coladas at a variety of restaurants during our visit on St. Maarten, but the Guavaberry Emporium by the far end of Front Street was the place to go if you wanted to haul some of the stuff back home with you.

We were able to sample the guavaberry $21 straight up, or colada style (there goes my vote!), and their guavaberry & papaya bbq sauce $8, and thus we bought.

They neatly packaged our purchases for the trip home and off we went. When I unpacked them at home, even though the airport security had gotten into it and repacked and retaped it all, everything was still in one piece!

PS - from my research, it seemed that since Guavaberry is a local product and is not available elsewhere, I could have packed as much as I wanted into my check in luggage as long as it was one shot through home to the US of A. But I made do with just the one bottle, and later a bottle of another local product - the vanilla banana rum of Ma Doudou.

1  Thank shutternut0
Reviewed December 12, 2013

OK, so we tried the colada, the rum, and the liquor. All were amazing. We brought home our limit of the rum. It's the best rum I've had, straight (pun intended). I highly recommend you do the same, it's very tasty.

1  Thank Mike W
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We visited while cruising with HAL. This is a great spot to visit in St Maarten. They offered a taste of all rums and other products. We bought lots to bring back - as much was we could carry and pack. Very unique and different flavor. My favorite was the almond. Husband liked the mulled best. We went back later in afternoon before returning to the ship and enjoyed a guavaberry colada. It was fantastic! Hope to recreate it at home using the recipes attached to the bottles.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

A must stop when we are in Philipsburg. We always stop in for a Guavaberry colada. They sell a variety of flavors of rum, seasoning and spices.

Thank Jerrod and Trac... R