My husband and I were traveling to St Barts in early October. Landing in St Martin, we awaited our transfer via winnair. Rafael, later a hurricaine, was causing weather problems though, so our little flight was cancelled. Quickly grabbing a cab, we hurried to the marina to catch the last ferry of the day in Phillipsburg aboard the Great Bay Express. Barely making it, the ferry bravely took off, only to have to turn around due to the waves of the tropical depression. Back on the dock,faced with having to find a place to stay for the night, my husband and I found out from a local (who was also on the ferry) that Pasanggrahan was only a short walk away on the boardwalk, I had researched hotels before leaving in case we decided to stay extra days before or after our St Barts week, and had decided that Pasanggrahan would be where I would like to stay. Hurrying, we found the hotel and took the last room. The staff were all friendly and very helpful. The room was large-tiled floor, two beds in one area and a couch, TV, table and chairs on the other side of the room (which was divided by a chest high wall). The bathroom was large as well with a tub, double sink, vanity area and two person glassed in shower. The toilet was in a separate room. All was very clean as well!!!
We ate dinner in the small restaurant outside-the fish was nice and the wine great! Breakfast the next morning was delicious and a quick lunch at the bar with the smiling waitress was perfect before trying to get to St Barts again at 4 pm on the voyager-a larger catamaran ferrry on the French side of the island. (This ferry was able to make it, though it was pretty roly poly, to say the least!) I would recommend this ferry for crossing over if you wish for a ferry option. St Barts Commuter Air also would be recommended over Winnair as it is much cheaper! We would stay here again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "The Pasanggrahan Royal Guesthouse is St. Maarten's oldest and most charming inn. Formerly a rooster farm, Governor's home, V.I.P. guest house, and Dutch Royal Residence, it is ideally located in Philipsburg on a white sand beach amidst enchanting tropical gardens and enclosed within its original stone walls: a green oasis hidden on Front Street. A national landmark and one of the last bastions of West Indian culture, the Pasanggrahan is secluded and offbeat in the heart of St. Maarten’s capital, and it's a minute's stroll to shops, restaurants, casinos, banks and other institutions and activities. This authentic, colonial style inn has all the special features of a larger hotel including concierge service, the Sidney Greenstreet Bar, boardwalk beach bar, complementary chaise lounges, beach towels, and social hour. “A special place for special people” General Information"This vintage West Indian-style guesthouse has a prime spot on the beach in Philipsburg, sandwiched between the busy, narrow main street of Philipsburg and the harbor. It's set back and shaded under tall trees, a charming relic from another time. In fact, this was once the summer home of the Dutch Queen Wilhelmina, and the interior has a gracious, late-19th-century feel, with peacock bamboo chairs, Indian spool tables, and a gilt-framed oil portrait of the Dutch queen. The small- to medium-size accommodations have queen-size, double, or king-size beds with four-poster designs; some are in the main building and others are in an adjoining annex. The finest have genuine colonial flair, with antique secretaries and four-posters swaddled in mosquito netting, madras valances, hand-stitched quilts, beamed ceilings, and still life paintings. Set among lush palms is the harborfront Pasanggrahan Restaurant, which specializes in fresh fish caught by the hotel's own deep-sea charter fishing boat and family-style dinners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Pasanggrahan Royal Guesthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pasanggrahan Royal Guesthouse Hotel Philipsburg
- Pasanggrahan Royal Hotel
- Hotel Pasanggrahan Royal
- Pasanggrahan Royal Guesthouse St. Maarten-St. Martin/Philipsburg