“Location is the best” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
houston
“Location is the best”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

The location of the Pasanggrahan Royal Guesthouse is the best thing about this resort. It's rooms overlook the boardwalk and beach of Philipsburg. Our room had a large balcony with a small table. Also, a comfy lounge chair was great for reading and people watching. The room was a little dated, but very clean. The staff was helpful. Breakfast was enjoyable on a covered patio overlooking the ocean.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor ocean view.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank dsh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Warwickshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed here overnight on two separate occasions between trips out of St Martin - it is a little unusual but I really liked it. The staff were friendly and were very helpful in keeping our cases for us on both occasions. The rooms were interestingly and attractively decorated, spacious and comfortable, and clean, although in need of some refurbishment to be honest. I'm not sure what is going on with the building works - previous reviews seem to mention it going back about a year - there is certainly what looks like a new block being built to the east of the existing rooms but the reception area and the existing rooms were not affected at the time we were there. The one thing I was disappointed in was breakfast, which was really quite poor, so I'm a little surprised by the good reviews of the food by previous guests, which suggests that maybe we just got it on a bad day.

Kangaroo Court was excellent value for breakfast. Taloula Mango's was a great place to eat in the evenings or have a beer, the Greenhouse was also good, although some of the other places on that side of the bay I'd probably avoid as they seemed a bit overpriced - trapping the cruise ship visitors as it's the first area they come through.

Phillipsburg itself I wasn't that keen on to start with but it did grow on me. Front St I could live without - endless jewellers and souvenir tat - it amazes me that so many jewellers in one place can make a living! But the beach area was nice and we spent most of our time pottering about there and watching the world go by.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank alchemilla
Westchester, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here for the second time in 5 years in February 2011. Our experience was phenomenal, when accounting for the value. The hotel is conducting a complete renovation of the older tower - the construction neither detracted from our experience nor posed any viewable obstructions. Each room is directly facing the ocean with air conditioning and the normal amenities you may expect, room safe, fridge, tv, hot water shower, ice, balconies, four point poster beds, ample closet space, etc. The area of Philipsburgh caters predominantly to cruise ship tourists, so the day time is bustling with activity and the night is quiet and relaxed. The hotel arranged for a convertible jeep for us and was overly helpful in fulfilling each request (Colbert took care of my dry cleaning for me). The quality of food at the hotel restaurant cannot be understated - best calamari I ever had - better than Milos in NYC. We ate mostly on the french side, but the hotel has a great backup. The hotel bar that is right on the ocean is superb as well. I considered Holland House, but after spending almost 2 weeks at Pasanggrahan, I'm happy I didn't go there or any other place, except maybe La Semana. Overall, the Pasanggrahan is one of my favorite hotels on St. Martin and should be experienced by those seeking a laid back, non-Westin, local experience.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Rufus100
baldbar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2011

a very relaxing beautiful beachfront property, large very clean rooms with anything you need. the staff Janet, Maureen, Maggie & Colbert made you feel right at home . many,many laughs,the food was marvellous. you couln't ask for a better place to stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bwhitc550
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2010

This hotel was booked by my company. And they usually go for the cheapest place. So I was pleasantly surprised to find myself right on the beach. I could literally walk out of my lower floor room and across the boardwalk I was on the beach, just don't get room 19 or the two above it. They are closest to a bar that is open till late at night. The food was good too, nice and hot. I would recommend this hotel for something with an island feel and a laid back atmosphere.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank cagraves
Eleuthera
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Passy from October 14 thru the 23 and had an exceptional time.....Oli, Colbert, Donnet, BeeBee and everyone there took care of our every need and then some! They were more than helpful with any island information we needed and catered to our every whim! They have a section under construction and not once showed any stress or frustration....and we all know construction can be difficult to deal with! Our room faced Great Bay and we enjoyed sitting on our balcony gazing out at the water with our coffee early every morning. The setting is literally picture perfect! The hotel is situated in the middle of town, on the beach within walking distance of EVERYTHING....we enjoyed sitting on the beach ignoring the hustle and bustle of town, but its nice to have your choice. Upon our departure, we were leaving close friends that we can't wait to visit with again. If you are looking for a relaxing, friendly, ideally located place to stay in St. Maarten, this is certainly the hotel for you! We are looking forward to our next trip to the Pasanggrahan and wish them the very best. Hugs to all! Erica, North Carolina

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank blessedb
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2010

I found myself stuck on Saint Maarten for the evening in route to Saba. The ferry for the day was not running and all the flights where booked so I grabbed a room near the ferry dock and now find myself enjoying a drink by the beach with free wifi and free food.

The rooms are great and even have hot water. Apperently a luxury since the hotels I stayed in the last two nights had only cold.

• Stayed November 2010
2 Thank azchipka
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Holland House Beach Hotel
Sea View Beach Hotel
Sea View Beach Hotel
#10 of 12 in Philipsburg
Mercure Saint-Martin Marina & Spa

Been to Pasanggrahan Royal Guesthouse? Share your experiences!