“An awesome dive experience!”

Scuba Fun Dive Center
Aylmer, Canada
“An awesome dive experience!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

my wife and friends were on the Summit Cruise Ship, pulled into the Harbour Thursday Mar 14/13, my friend Christoff and I(Gerry) walked into their Dive shop and were taken into an amazing underwater world. My mission was just to see fish, instead I saw sea turtles, stingrays, reef sharks, giant lobsters and millions of multispecies of fish. Had a reef/cavern dive followed by a wreck dive.(50-60 foot) Our captain and dive guide Jude(the Scottish girl) and Frank(Marseilles,France) were BOTH exceptional...highly recommended.....EXCEPTIONAL EXPERIENCE, EXCEPTIONAL CREW....MY ONLY GRIEF/FAILURE WAS NOT TO BRING AN UNDERWATER CAMERA SUITABLE FOR THIS DEPTH...THE BOSS DROVE US BACK TO THE SUMMIT.....THANK U.
A CANADIAN BOY

Youngstown, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great week of diving, great people, great sea life!”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Did 10 dives over 5 days. Staff did everything they could to ensure that we had optimal conditions every day. Have dove many other places and found this crew to be top notch. Our dive masters were Frank and Jude, very attentive to our safety and experience. Once, they even went in the water first to check on conditions below to see if it was the best site to dive on (There had been some weather out at sea, so there was quite a bit of current and surge to deal with early in the week). Our captains were Chris and Elaine, both were very professional and experienced. The staff even made sure that our gear was already on the boat in the morning since we stored it at the shop. Everyone was very patient with newer divers and helped to make sure that they felt comfortable. There were never more than 6 people in a group with a dive master.

There's a great restaurant right beside the dock (Chesterfields), which became our home away from home. It's just a short walk from both the cruise ship dock and from the boardwalk in Phillipsburg, and the boat ride out to the dive site in the marine park was very short (less than 10 minutes usually). We didn't take advantage of it, but I understand that they even offer transport to and from your hotel.

And, more importantly, the diving was fantastic, lots of rays, reef sharks and turtles! I would definitely recommend them to anyone who is diving in St. Maarten.

Mississauga, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“What to expect”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I appreciated being picked up at the hotel no charge and the knowledgeable and accomodating staff at this operation. I did 4 dives over 2 days. They use a canopied inflatable for small groups. There's a very handy rinse bucket and hose on the dock for cleaning up your gear and having a quickie shower. The rental gear is generally in good condition, with the exception of their depth gauges, many of which don't work -- this is entirely not acceptable and management should smarten up before they have a lawsuit on their hands.
These are all guided dives. You are not allowed to dive independently with a buddy.
Expect 5 foot swells on surface, current and a surge even at 50 ft. I would not recommend these conditions for new divers.

Visited December 2012
Woodward, Oklahoma
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Dive boat of choice”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Was recommended by hotel, and found them to be a great choice. Great friendly professional team. I went on 7 dives with them over 5 days, and they were enthuiastic, helpful, dedicated to providing a good dive experience. I've been diving off cancun, cozumel, oahu, maui, Hawaii big island, and I think I have yet to find a better dive team. My wife isn't a diver, and went with me on the discovery dive, which was an outstanding introduction to scuba. They had a dive park set up in 25ft water with sunken airplane, submarine, boats, bells, anchors, cannon, and pretty good coral, variety of fish. Cris, Frank, and Jude were great. Dive sites were all within 15 minutes or so of port. Juice and water were provided but make sure you bring snacks if you want anything.

1 Thank Jnkray
Avondale, Pennsylvania
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Not sure I would go back.”
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

We dove with Scuba Fun during a stop on our cruise in January. The conditions were nice on the surface. The current and surge on the bottom were pretty strong. The second dive was another site about one mile away from the first, same strong current and surge. The site was actually deeper than the first. Coupled with a Surface interval of less than an hour, I wound up watching the dive computer closely. It would have been better for them to choose a more protected and shallower dive after seeing the conditions on the first dive. The dive master said that these were not normal conditions.

Since this was my first experience diving in St. Maarten, I don't know if this is accurate or not. The dive planning leaves me unsure of diving with this shop again if I go back.

AntoineScubaFun_11, Director of Sales at Scuba Fun Dive Center, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
We are sorry you found the conditions difficult, but have every confidence our experienced staff chose the best sites for the conditions that day. The decision to go to a slightly deeper site on the second dive was based on local knowledge and certainly an attempt to get away from the worst of the current. There can occasionally be a small difference in depths between the first and second dives, but as both dives took place on the same reef system, this would have been in the order of 10 feet or so.

Our professional crew have much experience of planning dives and know the reefs well. Rest assured, they would never cut short a required surface interval. They do this for a living, they certainly can’t afford to play with their own or client’s well being! Given the dive profiles on the day, there was certainly no need for an hour’s surface interval.