“Good intentions”
Review of Tyt Lynz Guide Services - CLOSED

Tyt Lynz Guide Services
More attraction details
Owner description: Tyt Lynz Guide Service offers onshore fishing on St. Maarten as an alternative for the casual fisherman as well as world-class fishing for the experienced hard-core angler. Tarpon and Jack Crevalle abound in the prestine waters but the most sought after are the snook that will challenge your personal record. Little to no fishing pressure makes for wonderful memories and big fish.
Reviewed August 20, 2013

First off, I did not get to fish with Richard. To make a long story short, I had all my fly rods stolen before I arrived in St Martins (at the Denver AP, but that is another story). So I arrived in St. Martins without my fly rods, but with everything else (reels, flies, leader, etc., etc.). I called Richard soon after arrival and he said there might be a chance he could get me a fly rod from another client to borrow. There are no places I could find (and he confirmed) that I could buy a fly rod as the fishing there is oriented to mostly to deep sea and spin cast fishing.

We also noticed a very blustery surf when we arrived and it was confirmed that a cold front had moved in and the surf was churned up. Since we were shore fishing, this was not good. In talking to Richard, we decided to postpone for a day. Next day was not good either. The next day was Carnival in Dutch St Martins and not a good day to wander the island looking for fish (we both agreed) and besides my wife and I wanted to go to Phillipsburg to see the parade (if you are there when it happens, GO!)

The week was almost over and my booking was interfering with some of his others, and even then he said the fishing was not good. Then there was the fly rod problem (I would have been only marginally interested in spin fishing). So, we decided to just cancel. Since I paid in advance, he said he'd refund my money. After some delay, caused by a bank transfer problem and personal matters (death in the family), I received my refund.

Would I book with him again, yes. I believe he is an honest fellow, dedicated to giving his clients a good experience. I would have given him 3 stars for good intentions, I added a star for the refund which he could have pocketed. We will go back to St. Martins eventually and we will be sure to book a day or two with him and try to get the inshore Grand Slam on a fly rod (Snook, Bonefish and Tarpon)!

1  Thank Flyfisherdmc

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was looking so forward to doing some shore fishing, Tarpon, snook etc......This is not his full time job but just a cash grab, stay away.

Tried to go early in the morning but was told he was all booked all week and that all he had was afternoons available.....ok fine. So I met Richard at some restaurant parking lot after he had finished his day of work he proceeded to take me to fish the old salt pond behind the town........are you kidding me (this is not shore fishing)........he told me stories of talipia and tarpon there?? Passed areas where he said the fishing is good but do you think he stopped there, NO. Then waisted time 2 hours trying to catch some bait (this is additional cost)....it was then getting dark so we went to some inlet along the road where there were 2 locals fishing, still nothing but stories. Spent very little time fishing and more time talking crap about what a master angler he is??

There are so many beaches, rock piers, channels on this island......i found them on my own and you all should just do the same.

Do not wast your time with this guy but at 4:30 i am sure you will see another sucker fishing the back of town at the old salt flat dump water with him.

4  Thank PK001_13
TytLynzSXM, Owner at Tyt Lynz Guide Services, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Here are the facts!

There are no full-time guides or Charter captains on St. Maarten. Sportfishing has not developed on St. Maarten as other places so we have to supplement our earnings normally with a 9-5 or in my case 7 -3.

Cash Grab?! That is unfortunate but each is allowed their own opinion. Previous comments on that subject referred to a guide that is no longer in my employ for the same reason.

On each trip I work equally hard to provide clients with the best opportunity to catch and land fish.
I take my fishing, my reputation and my customer service very seriously.

The Great Salt Pond is home to one of the highest concentrations of tarpon found anywhere in the Caribbean and the vast majority of my clients that have the opportunity to fish there see it for its' fishing value. I'm sorry that you were not one of them.

Live bait has always been complimentary and I have never charged a single client extra for it as it is not always available. It's either available or not.Time spent looking for bait that is always on the move is based on finding feeding fishing but is never replaced by clients not fishing.

Certain fishing spots are productive under certain conditions but are always worth mentioning whether those conditions are present or not so the clients can explore them on their own if the conditions should arise during a client's stay. The intention being to provide clients with more productive fishing options when not fishing with me.

Conversation during an outing is normal. Trading fishing stories is part of any fishing experience. I apologize it you found it offensive.

On a small island fishing is often close to a main road and yes it is possible to find all fishing spots on your own and I encourage my clients to do so. I encourage clients that travel with their own gear to get me out early in their vacation so they learn the techniques and locations that produce fish and those that don't. The "Locals" that do fish know these places too.

All in all I would like to thank you for your feedback and will take it into consideration for the future. I would again like to assure you that I do my best to provide each client with the best and most productive fishing experience possible.

Tyt Lynz!

Reviewed June 6, 2013

fishing guide was 1 hour late. almost ran out of gas and asked me to chip in - for gas? told me he was collecting money for a charity - asked for more money. told me he needed more minutes on his phone - asked if i could lend him some money. drove around for what seemed like hours and kept talking about giving him a tip. caught only 1 fish, fished only 2 hours for what was supposed to be a half day trip - some joker worse than the cruise ship dock beggars in Jamaica bugging me for money the whole time.

i'll never ever use this service again. i'll bring my own fishing rod and fish on my own. save the 300 bucks and catch MORE FISH probably. do the research online and you can find out where to fish - thats what i'm doing for next time. never again - this guy was more of a beggar than a fishing guide.

5  Thank Tibbets R

All of these actions by my former guide are unheard of, unacceptable and unforgiveable. I apologize profusely.

I wish you had contacted me immediately with this information for a full refund. Gerry, no longer works for Tyt Lynz and his actions are in no way condoned by me.

It is amazing how a single employee can ruin years of hard work and dedication.

I hope that if you decide to visit St. Maarten in the future than you provide me the opportunity to make up and compensate for your experience.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

SO...I had a hard time getting a booking due to Richard not feeling well....then we finally agreed upon a date...then on the scheduled day I got a call that he would not be able to pick me up as advertised. Ok...I really wanted the fishing experience so I rescheduled my families planned day to a trip to philipsburg on a 3 crusie ship day (crowded) but I needed the car we rented to go fishing...anyhow I was at Marks Bar the alloted meeting place an hour early but at 10 to 4 (4 was the pickup time) I got a call that Richard could not make it but he called in a friend Jerry to take me. Well Jerry got there at 4:30 and announced that it was really late to get bait and maybe we should fish inshore. (not what I was looking for but ok) We went to a place in the middle of town where shoes and bottles were pretty much the main terrain features.
Got a few small fish that Jerry called talipia (which I later found out there are NO tilapia in St Martin) They are some form of fish like carp that the dutch introduced to keep misquitos down. Anyhow...we then moved to the salt water pond which is really just the garbage dump. There we caught nothing..fishing in the garbage dump my goodness....then we drove around and around and he decided to take me back to my hotel (the family took the car home) all the while pointing out what he said were great spots to fish..(why we didnt fish there I'll never know but at this point it was dusk)
So...all in all to sum it up....I brought my own gear and was supposed to get a discount..I didnt...I was supposed to be picked up as part of the service...I wasnt....I was supposed to fish on a beautiful beach in St Martin...I didnt....I ended up doing the equivelent of carp fishing in the passaic river..(google that and youll understand) This whole Tytlynz Guide service is a money grab...I would never use them again, would not recommend them to anyone and I cant stop thinking how hard I work for $200.00 and how ripped off I got...I am so mad...
I noticed just now that I can add pictures....I will post the shoes and the garbage pics topmorrow....they are funny and sad!!!

5  Thank deerejon

I apologize for the untimely correspondence but as owner/guide my time is divided between fishing and correspondence. I will be moving to a fully automated booking service within short to avoid further delays of complications with booking and confirming trips.

At the time I was suffering from an injury that required heavy medication and had to either have my then guide and friend Gerry step in for me or cancel the trip altogether. Well based on your feedback it would probably been better to cancel the trip.

As with any larger group I ask prior to the trip if they have their own transportation as it may be more comfortable if they drive their own vehicle. That is always their option never a requirement.

Meeting at a more central location in the afternoon is to save time since the traffic in the Simpson Bay area in the afternoons is horrendous. This too is explained to clients in advance and the client always has the option of still opting for a pick-up at their hotel but with the possibility of commute time cutting into fishing time.

To address the fishing that afternoon, I cannot apologize enough for the lack of professional service that you received. From the late arrival to poor excuses and less than perfect fishing conditions there are valid reasons for any of them.

I assure you that I have worked hard over the years to develop, offer and maintain a certain level of service and unfortunately it has become clear that if I cannot offer it myself that I cannot rely on anyone else to offer it in my illness or absence.

Again my apologies and the next time you are St. Maarten feel free to contact me so that I can make amends and give you the opportunity to fish that so many have grown to love.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Booked 2 trips with Rich first trip got pushed back due to weather. Rich set me up with Jerry 2 days later and between Jerry, RIch who showed up later and myself jumped over a dozen tarpon in the 20 to 40 lb range.The snook were non existant wrong time of year cold front, warm front don't know? Second trip Rich hooked me up with another client which in turn turned out to be two 2 other clients with far less fishing experience than my own.Jumped only a couple of tarpon and some tilapia but tough fishing. Windy! Rich cut the trip a little short but did compensate both parties with another trip before I left. Both trips were afternoon pm trips third was an am trip but conditions were tough windy strong seas some bait around.Ialso fished the beaches on my own but like I said the snook just weren't around.Would I fish again with Rich and Jerry absolutely! Both of them very professional and fun. To bad the fish didn't cooperate.Joe T. S.I.,N.Y.

1  Thank joseph t