“guide kept asking me for money - where are the fish?”
Review of Tyt Lynz Guide Services - CLOSED

Tyt Lynz Guide Services
More attraction details
Owner description: Tyt Lynz Guide Service offers onshore fishing on St. Maarten as an alternative for the casual fisherman as well as world-class fishing for the experienced hard-core angler. Tarpon and Jack Crevalle abound in the prestine waters but the most sought after are the snook that will challenge your personal record. Little to no fishing pressure makes for wonderful memories and big fish.
Baltimore, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“guide kept asking me for money - where are the fish?”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

fishing guide was 1 hour late. almost ran out of gas and asked me to chip in - for gas? told me he was collecting money for a charity - asked for more money. told me he needed more minutes on his phone - asked if i could lend him some money. drove around for what seemed like hours and kept talking about giving him a tip. caught only 1 fish, fished only 2 hours for what was supposed to be a half day trip - some joker worse than the cruise ship dock beggars in Jamaica bugging me for money the whole time.

i'll never ever use this service again. i'll bring my own fishing rod and fish on my own. save the 300 bucks and catch MORE FISH probably. do the research online and you can find out where to fish - thats what i'm doing for next time. never again - this guy was more of a beggar than a fishing guide.

Visited June 2013
5 Thank Tibbets R
TytLynzSXM, Owner at Tyt Lynz Guide Services, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
All of these actions by my former guide are unheard of, unacceptable and unforgiveable. I apologize profusely.

I wish you had contacted me immediately with this information for a full refund. Gerry, no longer works for Tyt Lynz and his actions are in no way condoned by me.

It is amazing how a single employee can ruin years of hard work and dedication.

I hope that if you decide to visit St. Maarten in the future than you provide me the opportunity to make up and compensate for your experience.

Clifton, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fishing at the garbage dump”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

SO...I had a hard time getting a booking due to Richard not feeling well....then we finally agreed upon a date...then on the scheduled day I got a call that he would not be able to pick me up as advertised. Ok...I really wanted the fishing experience so I rescheduled my families planned day to a trip to philipsburg on a 3 crusie ship day (crowded) but I needed the car we rented to go fishing...anyhow I was at Marks Bar the alloted meeting place an hour early but at 10 to 4 (4 was the pickup time) I got a call that Richard could not make it but he called in a friend Jerry to take me. Well Jerry got there at 4:30 and announced that it was really late to get bait and maybe we should fish inshore. (not what I was looking for but ok) We went to a place in the middle of town where shoes and bottles were pretty much the main terrain features.
Got a few small fish that Jerry called talipia (which I later found out there are NO tilapia in St Martin) They are some form of fish like carp that the dutch introduced to keep misquitos down. Anyhow...we then moved to the salt water pond which is really just the garbage dump. There we caught nothing..fishing in the garbage dump my goodness....then we drove around and around and he decided to take me back to my hotel (the family took the car home) all the while pointing out what he said were great spots to fish..(why we didnt fish there I'll never know but at this point it was dusk)
So...all in all to sum it up....I brought my own gear and was supposed to get a discount..I didnt...I was supposed to be picked up as part of the service...I wasnt....I was supposed to fish on a beautiful beach in St Martin...I didnt....I ended up doing the equivelent of carp fishing in the passaic river..(google that and youll understand) This whole Tytlynz Guide service is a money grab...I would never use them again, would not recommend them to anyone and I cant stop thinking how hard I work for $200.00 and how ripped off I got...I am so mad...
I noticed just now that I can add pictures....I will post the shoes and the garbage pics topmorrow....they are funny and sad!!!

5 Thank deerejon
I apologize for the untimely correspondence but as owner/guide my time is divided between fishing and correspondence. I will be moving to a fully automated booking service within short to avoid further delays of complications with booking and confirming trips.

At the time I was suffering from an injury that required heavy medication and had to either have my then guide and friend Gerry step in for me or cancel the trip altogether. Well based on your feedback it would probably been better to cancel the trip.

As with any larger group I ask prior to the trip if they have their own transportation as it may be more comfortable if they drive their own vehicle. That is always their option never a requirement.

Meeting at a more central location in the afternoon is to save time since the traffic in the Simpson Bay area in the afternoons is horrendous. This too is explained to clients in advance and the client always has the option of still opting for a pick-up at their hotel but with the possibility of commute time cutting into fishing time.

To address the fishing that afternoon, I cannot apologize enough for the lack of professional service that you received. From the late arrival to poor excuses and less than perfect fishing conditions there are valid reasons for any of them.

I assure you that I have worked hard over the years to develop, offer and maintain a certain level of service and unfortunately it has become clear that if I cannot offer it myself that I cannot rely on anyone else to offer it in my illness or absence.

Again my apologies and the next time you are St. Maarten feel free to contact me so that I can make amends and give you the opportunity to fish that so many have grown to love.
New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“3/31 4/4 4/5 fish st mart”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Booked 2 trips with Rich first trip got pushed back due to weather. Rich set me up with Jerry 2 days later and between Jerry, RIch who showed up later and myself jumped over a dozen tarpon in the 20 to 40 lb range.The snook were non existant wrong time of year cold front, warm front don't know? Second trip Rich hooked me up with another client which in turn turned out to be two 2 other clients with far less fishing experience than my own.Jumped only a couple of tarpon and some tilapia but tough fishing. Windy! Rich cut the trip a little short but did compensate both parties with another trip before I left. Both trips were afternoon pm trips third was an am trip but conditions were tough windy strong seas some bait around.Ialso fished the beaches on my own but like I said the snook just weren't around.Would I fish again with Rich and Jerry absolutely! Both of them very professional and fun. To bad the fish didn't cooperate.Joe T. S.I.,N.Y.

1 Thank joseph t
Raleigh, NC
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Disappointed half day of fishing”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This trip was a disaster from the beginning. To start with, I had lots of trouble even booking the trip because Richard Gearrin was not responsive on a timely basis to my emails or his online booking service. We finally did agree that my friend and I would be picked up at Hotel Passanggrahan at 5:30 AM. The pick up was on time, but it was not Richard but his friend Jerry that was our guide. We drove about 20 minutes to a dock at a marina where we fished about 45 minutes while Jerry attempted to get live bait. After that, we drove around for about 2 hours looking for a good place to fish. We finally settled at a salt pond that held tilapia and tarpin. We fished this pond for about 1.5 hours, hooking into a total of 3 tarpin but not landing any. All together, we fished about 2.5 hours and drove around for about 2.5 hours. The only fish landed was a foul hooked tilapia. All fishing was from the bank or shore, not from a boat. No refreshments, or even water, were provided. I would not book with this guide service again.

4 Thank chipRaleigh_NC
Let me first apologize for untimely communication. As owner/guide my time is divided between fishing and handling correspondence. As our popularity has grown I have been spending more time on the water and less time behind the computer. This season we are looking to upgrade to a fully automated booking service so that trips can be confirmed automatically.

I would like to apologize for the less than professional service that you received from my former guide, Jerry.

I have always prided myself in giving the best service possible and highly disappointed that the service given to you was not to either of our standards or expectations.

From now on fishing with Tyt Lynz means fishing with Richard.
stamford ct
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“VERY INFORMATIVE”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

thank you Richard for your attention to deatails.Richards knowledge is unsurpassed.Since fishing with Richard we have caught more fish and greater variety than previous years.Feel confident that you will gain much knowledge with Richard.Thanks again and see you next year.
Rich B.