“"Hood" hotel”
Review of The Downtown Hotel

The Downtown Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Soufriere B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Don't book it! I won't be staying there ever again. The people were pleasant but that doesn't make up for the lack. (Low water pressure, no hot water in sink, phone not working in room, ALL lobby doors to hotel are locked after a certain time so you can't get out at 4am if you need to unless u knock on doors and make noise like I did in order to get out by the guard after I found him). Oh and the beach is a joke...it's the hood too. I'll be in Castries or Rodney Bay area next time. Not Soufriere and certainly NOT the Downtown Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank C C

Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was not 5 star but then again I was looking for a 5 star.the room was clean maybe not our standard beds were comfortable room was large had a great view of the ocean and the piton.only think I missed was a coffee perk,talking of coffee that was hard to find any where in soufriere St Lucian's are not big coffee drinkers.

Room Tip: If your not. Happy witty our room ask to see an other but you do want to be ocean front
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We brought 2 folding bicycles with us which the hotel let us store in our rooms or the lounge. The hotel is located on the second floor of a shopping plaza. So it made it a bit hard to carry the bikes all the way up to our rooms. I was surprised how quiet the rooms were for the central downtown location. The staff was friendly. The water in the shower was not so warm.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The Downtown hotel is comfortable place to stay, and the area is lovely !
I had read other peoples comments on this hotel, but was pleasently suprised when I arrived. OK the whole place could do with some updating, but what else can you expect in a third world country.
Unfortunately there is no real room service, but on the ground floor there is a fantastic cafe run by Suzannie and I ate there every day, Breakfast Lunch and Dinner.The prices are very reasonable and I would reccomend this place to everybody.
The only downside was the incessant scroungers coming round begging for money and cigarettes

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This didn't feel as nice as I was expecting.
I arrived late in the evening, and was shown to a room by a security guy, with a plan to check in the following morning. The room was pretty basic, but there was a nice balcony overlooking the town which was nice.
finding any staff the following morning was a challenge, but when I did find them they were OK.
Overall, it felt a little run down and functional rather than pleasant. it had the air of a govt. run place, in a way.
Location was good though, and it was probably the best choice from this point of view.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 12, 2013

If you prefer feeling like you're in a manicured suburb of Brisbane, Australian, go to Rodney Bay and fight for a place for your towel on the beach. If you want the wild beauty of St Lucia, Soufriere is the best location.

We simply couldn't afford the prices of the resorts, but staying in the town meant we could buy our own food and cook it in Downtown Hotel. We could visit the resort beaches, bars and restaurants. Downtown is close to the best restaurant we found, the Hummingbird (enter from the road not the beach or you'll end up in the wrong restaurant) with spectacular views. The beaches at Chastanet and Mamin are close and you can walk, but bring a torch for the return in the dark. You see hummingbirds going there, and fireflies on the walk back.

Our room view was the square with the church, and the hills around the town. If you want the pitons, just walk to the many beach bars which are less than 5 minutes away.

We stayed in Downtown for 3 weeks, and took a couple of days in Rodney Bay out of curiosity but we preferred Soufriere. Castries in nice for a day trip or to shop. Downtown isn't the Park Royal (would you expect it at the price?), but it's clean and comfortable and has nice views - and you're on holiday, right, not spending your life in your bedroom! Yes, the square can be a bit rowdy over the holidays, but people there enjoy to party. Go out and join them. It is quiet by midnight except on holidays.

Room Tip: If you do a flight-hotel booking you may get the square side, not the pitons, but there are rumoured...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ArseneDebris
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The location of this hotel is fantastic - right in the heart of Soufriere. It has great views of the harbour and the top of Petit Piton, or the town. I had room 17, looking right out over the harbour - amazing view. They moved me from 16, which didn't have water. 17 was a much better room. They had water problems when I was there, but it didn't really matter. They don't have any facilities (it's probably only a 2 or 3 star hotel maximum), but what you get with this hotel is the opportunity to experience the real St Lucia. Great St Lucian restaurants nearby - Belle View was my favourite, and Angel's for breakfast.

I was on my own but felt perfectly safe, even in the evenings, although obviously you have to have your wits about you, and not put yourself in any dangerous situations. People were friendly, but again be cautious. Any help is usualy followed by a request for money, etc.

Water taxis to Jalousie or Anse Chastenet beaches cost around $50US, although I bet you could haggle better than I did. The view of the Pitons on the way back from both, but particularly from Anse Chastenet was spectactular.

The resort hotels are great, but a bit sanitised. If you want to experience the real St Lucia then I would urge you to spend a few days at the Downtown Hotel.

Room Tip: Room 17 has an amazing view of the harbour and Petit Piton
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo