“A beautiful exotic resort - will be in our memories for all times.”

Jade Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Guelph, Canada
“A beautiful exotic resort - will be in our memories for all times.”
Reviewed April 9, 2009

Via Anse Chastanet, via crazy, crazy roads. Fellow guests at Anse and Jade joke about reasons why the road going to these 2 resorts is so bad. To increase taxi usage is one of them. Haha. Unless you have a 4x4 with some sort of decent power, this road is not for everyone. The initial hill climb out of Soufriere towards Anse Chastanet is long, steep and bumpy. And continues so for the next little while. At times we questioned if we were even going the right way as there was no signs or any indication that lead us to believe otherwise.

Jade Mountain is only accessible to the public through Anse Chastanet. On arrival we were greeted warmly by the security at the entrance gate and they even parked our vehicle for us. There is a parking lot on the left and a smaller one on the right. The right one is for Jade Mountain guests. A shuttle promptly arrived for us, loaded our luggage and took us up to Jade - all the while pointing out the rooms and buildings of the property. The small road up to Jade can only accommodate one vehicle; it's pretty narrow with built-in steps down the middle. On arrival at Jade, we were welcomed by the general manager and several staff. Everyone was very nice and we were guided to the reception building. It was about 1:30pm or so, and we were pleased to see that our room was ready for us well in advance of the usual 3pm check-in time.

Our Moon Sanctuary for the next 3 nights will be JA5. The way the rooms are set up in Jade Mountain is that the Sky Sanctuary is set on the lowermost part of Jade property. Then every floor above that each consists of the Star, Moon and Sun Sanctuaries. Each room is different and has its own personality. No two sanctuaries are the same, so each stay can be unique.

You're assigned a series of butlers, or Major Domos as they're called. Our head Major Domo was Vito but it was Filliner that we saw the most. She was exceptionally accommodating. We're told that we can call on them with our provided Firefly (a mini cell phone) with just about any wish we desired. They were there for us on demand. Although we seldom used them, the one time I called and Vito answered, he seemed bothered and uninterested. I was only asking a simple question regarding the contents of our stocked fridge. I guess everyone has their off day, but at a resort such as Jade, I don't believe that should be apparent to guests no matter what.

Filliner showed us to our room and its features. JA5 is very spacious and has a very large pool. We absolutely loved it. The best room we've had on this honeymoon for sure. It was contemporary and the view of both Pitons is immaculate. We never felt our privacy to be compromised at any time by the lack of a 4th wall. Everything is clean and there were no flying bugs present. We're pretty lucky to not experience any annoying bugs! At all!

Monday nights at Jade Mountain, they have a Manager's Cocktail Party at the Jade Club. Dressed smart casual, we arrived there at about 6:30pm by means of the many mini journeys up the series of stairs. I'm a pretty fit guy and even these ones made me a little tired on arrival. Being warmly greeted with complimentary Chardonnays and other wines is most welcoming. We were able to meet with the majority of the staff there, as well as staff from Anse Chastanet. They made it their duty to greet everyone and chat with you, so you're not standing there by yourself. It was great and we really enjoyed it. We were able to talk with their Executive Chef, Jonathan Dearden, and learned a little of his background. For starters, he's only 23 years old! I've never met a younger Executive Chef, but he's certainly earned his belonging at Jade. The tasters we were able to sample were delicious. But they're always tasters, even at Ladera. Why aren't these on the menu?! We learned that Jonathan hails from Florida and has started at quite a young age. By 19 years old, he had already won various awards and had paid off his condo. Then he's managed to make his way over to St. Lucia as Executive Chef for Jade Mountain. Quite impressive indeed.

Our dinner at Jade Club following the Cocktail party was pretty good. On the first night, we were not on their meal plan, but were scheduled to be on the meal plan on the remaining days. So this dinner would be charged to our room. We had the Lobster Main Course, a whole one for me and a half lobster for my wife in addition to some appetizers, Argentina Chardonnay by the glass and a cocktail. Although the wait was a little longer than previous dining establishments we've visited so far in our previous resorts, the presentation of our meal was excellent. The lobster both seemed to be of equal portions even though I ordered a full and my wife a half. It was good, but had a different distinctive taste that you have to acquire. In the end, because of the lobster surcharge, our bill was $232 USD. Not for the faint of heart.

Overall, the ambience in Jade was definitely executive class. Before your main course, you're presented with a small bowl of flavored ice to clean your palette. Cutlery is exchanged in between each stage of your meal and bread is freshly cut in front of you to your liking. Certainly not your Cagneys.

I was 29 years old, my wife 27, and we were certainly the youngest couple there. The median age, from our observation there would be about 40-50+. The Jade Club staff was very genuinely friendly and seemed to value their jobs.

A well rested night sleep was in order following our dinner. Our breakfast the next morning was to be delivered to our room for 8am. Ordering breakfast to your room involved filling out your order on forms provided in your room, and placing them in a certain pouch and placing them outside your door. Then you press a button by your door and they know to come and get the order. We did this each day so every morning was breakfast delivered. Our breakfast included 2 eggs scrambled, 2 eggs poached, sausages, bacon, a fruit platter, bread, muffin and juice. Although breakfast is included in our accommodation, you still have to sign for it and each morning the amount shown on the bill was valued at about $55 USD.

Around noon we made our way down to Anse Chastanet beach. Guests staying at either resort have the privilege of using the beach huts to the right of the beach. Complete with butler service. Towels are provided for you, layed out on your lounge chair and all. Each hut has food and drink menus as well as a yellow butler flag. When you require their services for ordering something, you place the flag out in the sand they'll come by. Each time we put it out, they were by within a minute. The drinks we ordered arrived fairly quickly. As long as it takes for them to walk from our hut to the bar and back. On our Wednesday trip out to Anse Chastanet beach, we ordered some lunch which consisted of Caesar salad, chicken Caesar salad and chicken club sandwiches. That delicious meal with some cocktails arrived fairly quickly as well with a signing of a value of $75 USD. I'd also like to mention that at Jade and Anse, as with most places in St. Lucia, 10% gratuity is already included. But unlike Stonefield and Ladera, they only require you to sign for it and don't give you the option of adding any additional tips. But considering the prices of the meals here, its better this way. Our meals here and the remaining nights are now all inclusive. Good thing, kind of... but more on that later.

The water here is as equally warm as Jalousie with the main difference being the sand is volcanic black sand compared to Jalousie's imported white sands. It did feel a little warmer on your feet. The water was a little choppier as it didn't have the shelter of the 2 Pitons as did Jalousie. But with that said, snorkeling at Anse is much better! To the left of the beach by the Scuba Shop, behind the designated buoys is fantastic. Being a designated marine park, undersea life is abundant. At one point while diving down about 10-15 feet below, a large eel popped out in between some rocks to greet me! A little startling but I managed to keep my breath and observed it for the moment. It's hard to believe how busy it gets down under. Truly a whole new world, one that we wish we could experience on demand.

4pm saw us in front of the Scuba Shop waiting for our boat for the Sunset Cruise we had booked earlier with Mystic Man Tours. On schedule, arrived a fella on smaller motorized inflatable to take us to the boat anchored out further. After boarding our boat, we learned that there was nobody else booked for the cruise and with great surprise our cruise has been upgraded to Private! Just my wife and I, and the captain and first mate. Pitons and Champaign were complimentary and we welcomed it accordingly. The cruise would be 2 hours long, departing Anse Chastanet and going towards the Pitons and then back. We had free range of the boat and were able to sit on the bow during the cruise. We also conversed quite deeply with the crew about their way of life on a more personal level. Things you can't usually do if there were several other couples on board too. We learned lots on this sunset cruise.

At about 6pm the sun is setting and we were told to watch carefully as at the precise moment when it sets, there is a green flash from the way the light is reflected through the light spectrum. Sure enough, we saw it and it was beautiful. This is the epitome of what a sunset cruise is about. Before ending our cruise, I gave them a $20 USD tip. Well worth it, considering how fortunate we were to end up getting a private cruise.

Trou au Diable Restaurant:

Tuesday night dinner, we enjoyed a fabulous BBQ down at the Trou au Diable restaurant (Anse Chastanet). Their Caesar salad is traditional and the best I've had yet on this island. I had the shrimp and fish kabob with rice off the grill and was able to get a portion that was satisfying for my appetite. The meal was excellent; the atmosphere more lively and really does wake you up. The staff is wonderful, courteous, friendly and easy to talk to. We felt welcomed and catered to at this smart casual restaurant

Once signed for our meal, we made our way to the bar for some more cocktails and there was a Steel Drums band playing. They really do a great job at creating and directing the nightlife atmosphere. Staffs were dancing on their runs, etc. We were having the time of our life. It differed here greatly compared to up at Jade Club. Having the opportunity to set your experience by the mood you're in, or would like to be in, at one linked-in resort is great! It was pretty late by the time we made the trek back up to our room. We opted to walk back - well, my wife opted to walk back - but at any time we could've asked the bar or security to call us a shuttle. A night swim in our infinity pool before bed was in order.

Meal Plan Discrepancy - Overcharged (Jade Mountain):

As it was our last night, they also present you with your bill. To my surprise, instead of $150 USD per day that they widely and openly advertised, we were charged $290 per day for the meal plan. As I brought this to their attention in the morning prior to checkout, they insisted that - and I quote - "That is the price. $145 per person for the meal plan." By now they had me questioning myself so without making a big issue out of it, I signed for it.

Nonetheless, after reviewing their website's advertised price and prior e-mails from them regarding prices, it was apparent that they had outright lied to me. It is not, in no way was or will be $145 per person ($290) for the meal plan per day. From such a high end resort as Jade Mountain, something like this is a big surprise and unexpected. But it happened and currently I'm still trying to get this resolved. Being overcharged by $330 in total is one thing, but being lied to about it is just unacceptable. No matter what the reputation of an establishment, big or small.

Although our stay was wonderful, with certainly great memories and hospitality, a negative experience such as this is one that dominates memories. After several e-mails to them regarding this issue, some I've had to send again because they failed to reply the first time (after a week of waiting), they replied back to tell me that it was the price that my travel agent said to charge. Again, that is also not true as I've contacted my travel agent about it. So where it stands at the moment, my travel agent will be trying to contact them about this for me. Regardless, even if it was an oversight or mistake that the travel agent made regarding meal plan prices, you would think that Jade Mountain would point it out and charge accordingly to what they advertise. Not trying to score extra money from an already $1400/night room.

Update: After several e.mail conversations later, I have now figured out that they have 2 different rates. Their advertised MAP rate and an unadvertised "All Inclusive" rate. What's strange is that their AI rate is not at a set price, but varies very widely. When booking online through several other sites, when you add in the AI option, prices per night I've found to have varied from hundreds of dollars. They must do this to be able to accommodate and adjust to certain conditions. I'm not really sure. But it did take awhile to figure that out. They could've just plainly explained that they have 2 different rates. Both to myself and our travel agent (who was also not made aware). In the end, all is good.

Jade Mountain resort is indeed an absolutely breathtaking sanctuary. A special place that will forever be with us shared on our honeymoon memories for all times.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
19 Thank ThaiM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Rossett, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2009

I've just today returned from a wonderful 10 day trip to Jade Mountain with my husband. It was the most outstanding holiday I've ever had - so much so that I felt compelled to register with Tripadvisor to leave my first review!
We've been fortunate enough to stay in some really fabulous and luxurious hotels over the last few years but Jade Mountain was far and away the best. We stayed in a stunning Moon sanctuary (JD3), with infinity pool, big enough to swim lengths, looking over the Pitons. Stylish, beautifully designed, fabulous food, fabulous spa treatments, small but well-equipped gym with amazing view and AC, and OUTSTANDING staff. My husband and I both have adventurous jobs (wildlife filmmakers) and definitely find it hard to switch off and do nothing, so had chosen a return visit to Jade (having visited shortly after it opened 2 years ago) as there's lots to do in the area - great hikes, mountain biking, diving etc. However, we literally did not leave the hotel for the 11 days/10 nights we were there as it was so relaxing! Our room came with our own Major Domos (Ajay and Filliner) who were as lovely as they were efficient. The architecture of Jade Mountain is stunning in itself (Take a look at their website www.jademountain.com) and was designed by the owner Nick Troubetzkoy, with amazing attention to detail. The staff - from the gardeners, security staff, spa therapists, office staff and restaurant staff - are just fantastic. Unbelievably helpful without being obsequious. They genuinely seem to enjoy working there and are great characters. On our last night we returned to our room to find an amazing peacock design on our bed made from flowers, and a hot bubble bath with candles lit around the room. What a nice surprise!
My husband went diving at the Scuba Centre on the beach at Anse Chastanet (i did too, two years ago but had a sinus infection this time). As last time, he found the staff there to be safely conscious, friendly and helpful.
Food in the restaurant is delicious and appealing. A good variety of dishes, making good use of the organic produce grown on site, and healthy too.
Jade Mountain is certainly not cheap but, in my opinion, it's worth every penny for a super luxurious, romantic, relaxing, stylish and unique hotel. We'll remember this holiday for the rest of our lives and will definitely be returning as soon as possible.

7 Thank SusieQBristol
Michigan
Reviewed March 30, 2009

If you've read other Tripadvisor reviews of Jade Mountain, as I did, you'll have very high expectations for your Jade Mountain visit. You will not be disappointed. The facility is as amazing as it sounds, the rooms are wonderful and the service is excellent.

We spent one week at the resort, complements of Redbook Magazine, and were completely blown away by the beauty of the surroundings, the fabulous amenities, great food and absolutely immecable attention to detail.

From the moment of arrival following that famously bumpy two-mile drive, to our departure, we were treated like VIPs. Vito, our majordomo for the week, was the best of the best, with an attention to detail and service like no one we have met in any other location. In fact everyone on the entire Anse Chastanet and Jade Mountain site was hospitable, warm and welcoming.

Before arriving at Jade, we were concerned that our open-air room would be too warm without air conditioning during the day and would get too cool at night. That was simply not the case at all. The six ceiling fans allowed us to make sure the room was at the optimal comfort level at all times.

The food at all four restaurants was excellent and presentation was exquisite. Room service was also great. We enjoyed breakfast in our room every morning but one, took lunch on the beach and in the Beach House restaurant, and we thoroughly enjoyed each and every meal.

We found that we woke early every morning with the sun and birds and were ready for sleep soon after dinner. We enjoyed music in the lounge and the restaurant. If you like lots of wild nightlife, this is not the place for you (we don't--we loved Jade).

Other highlights:
I was a total yoga novice, but the instructor Kristin was very welcoming and made the experience fun and not overwhelming.
The Tuesday cooking demonstration with Chef Dearden was very informative and interesting. Sherma is now my favorite pastry chef in the world!
The spa is excellent! I loved my massage, pedicure, manicure and facial. Stella and Soraya are excellent!

My advice for anyone traveling to Jade Mountain? Enjoy the experience, take advantage of the chance to be chauferred to and from the beach and make sure that you soak in all of the pampering.

4 Thank Bee_and_El
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 27, 2009

While there are many beautiful resorts and hotels in the world, what makes Jade Mountain unique is the wonderful staff. From the minute you arrive at the resort you are greeted with a smile, everyone asks how your day is going and tries to make every aspect of your trip perfect. We started at Anse Chastanet, but managed to get a quick tour of Jade Mountain the next day and decided right then we had to move up. Even though the reservations person had left for the day the Jade Mountain hotel manager stayed behind at work for 2 extra hours attempting to make our hopes of moving to Jade Mountain true. We got word later on the second night we would be able to move the next day, but we had planned excursions all day long. As soon as we returned from our second excursion on the 3rd a hotel staff member awaited us on the beach to help escort us to Jade Mountain. Also, prior to our trip I was sick and I retained a nagging cough, which would have interupted a long awaited opportunity to scuba dive. The resort called a doctor and scheduled around our activities for the day. The doctor came out, checked on me and provided medications. Unfortunately my congestion did not relieve in time to go scuba diving, but the resort did their best to help me realize my dreams. The snorkeling is amazing and I highly recommend the half day sailing tour, that is if you can tear yourself away from the amazing rooms! It was hard every day to leave our room, where one wall was completely missing, allowing in cool breezy air from the sea and the perfectly placed infinity pool, that really appeared to fall off into the water! This destination is amazing and one should not miss the opportunity to stay at Anse Chatanet/Jade Mountain. I would like to conclude that while at some resort treatment gets better as one spends more money, this is not one of those places. We were treated so well when we were staying in the cheaper accommodations and that amazing service continued in our move up to Jade Mountain!

2 Thank Kvashi1
New York
Reviewed March 13, 2009

At over $2,000 a night for a Sun sanctuary, Jade Mountain is clearly positioned at the top end of the luxury resorts. From that standpoint, the resort was clearly not up to par with similarly priced Caribbean resorts such as Aman Resort or Four Seasons or Parrot Cay.
Negatives include:
Arrival. Unlike Turks or the Bahamas, the airport is clearly not configured for the volume of traffic. Our flight landed at the same time as two others and it took us over an hour to clear customs. There was no-one at the Jade desk, lost in the middle of the crowded arrival hall. We took the helicopter transfer which I would recommend since it takes over an hour drive through small windy roads to reach the resort.
The Sun rooms are advertised on the site as located on the top level with over 2000s.f. in size and infinity pools of up to 900 s.f. We were shown to a room which was 4 levels down from the top (JB1) which was clearly less than half the advertised size as was the pool. After complaining, we were moved the next day two levels up to JC1 which was much larger with a nicer view but clearly nowhere close to 2000 s.f.
Given the price charged for the top of the range rooms, I found it amazing that room size, pool and views can vary so drastically from one to the other. My advice is therefore to insist of sanctuary E & D which are on the top floors.
The absence of phone is also inpractical. We were given a small hotel phone to reach the buttler but it didn't work... It took them 2 days to replace.
The other problem with not being able to call room service or the spa directly is that they ended up delivering at least one item incorrectly. The buttler was more of a hindrance from that standpoint since it took several calls back and forth for what normally should take one.
Staff are very friendly but clearly not trained for a 5 star level of service (writing orders down incorrectly, slow service,...)
We booked a private boat trip. We ended up waiting 40mn by the jetty for the boat.
Scuba was also very disapointing. Despite being a qualified diver (PADI). They insisted on taking us from the beach for a pointless 30mn dive around the cliff .
The view from the sanctuary was clearly amazing. Not sure though about the open plan bathroom. Also, the pool could not be heated so quite chilly in the morning and the evening.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
11 Thank JCN_9
Sebastopol, California
Reviewed February 22, 2009

Contiguous with the highly regarded Anse Chastanet, Jade Mountain is a step up in many respects, not the least of which is literal. Perched on a hillside it commands a stunning view of St. Lucia’s emblematic Gros and Petit Piton. Sanctuaries—don’t call them rooms—are open on the view side; many have private infinity pools that cascade soothingly most of the day. Frankly, no review can do justice to the architecture and setting of Jade Mountain; it is sublime, transcending any single sense. Romantic, soothing, peaceful, centering: there is a sense of place that evokes the spiritual.

In the sanctuaries, the pools, finished with gorgeous specially fabricated glass tiles, can be lit the color of your choice or with a rotating color wheel. Imagine a warm evening under a star-filled sky with just a hint of indigo lighting your sanctuary, the large, comfortable bed draped in soft netting with its own quiet fan slowly turning. In our sanctuary, the shower, whirlpool bath (with its own chromatherapy wheel), twin pedestal sinks and toilet were perched the rest of the room, comprising a dressing area near the entry, dining area, bed, and indoor and outdoor sitting areas, including chaise lounges for private sunning.

“Major Domos” are in theory at your service to handle anything you wish. While the concept is wonderful, we found the execution somewhat lacking, though certainly not in character: each of the Major Domos with whom we interacted was pleasant and responsive, even if we usually had to call twice for any request.

Dining choices include everything Anse Chastanet has to offer, the Jade Mountain Club with a promising young chef, and in-room (or in-sanctuary) dining. It is conceivable to take all of one’s meals without leaving the sanctuary, and it is possible to order in advance for a specific delivery time. We found that the promised 30 minute response time was seldom fulfilled; still, the menu selections are sufficiently broad and the comfort factor high.

All Anse Chastanet dining options are available to Jade Mountain guests. We had a wonderful meal as the St. Lucian-Indian fusion restaurant Aspara on the beach; we found the buffet at the Treehouse the most efficient way to breakfast before a day of diving (or other activities).

The chef at the Jade Mountain Club focuses on locally grown, organic produce from Anse Chastanet’s own gardens or the market in nearby Soufriere. It is a delight on a tropical holiday to savor myriad vegetables and fruits, artfully prepared and allowed to speak for themselves. Although the ambitious chef is young, his dedication to advancing Caribbean cuisine is unmistakable and adds another dimension to Jade Mountain. Most frequently, we took our dinners at Jade Mountain: not a single dish was disappointing, though some were not fully realized.

Recreational choices abound, both on the properties and with conveniently arranged excursions. SCUBA dive sites are within a maximum of about 20 minutes boat ride, though in 5 days we seldom had more than a 5-10 minute boat ride., though it is worth mentioning that some of the best are in the Marine Park at Anse Chastanet. Perhaps because of the honeymoon and first timer clientele, we found the dive operator quite conservative (this is a compliment: safety is the first priority!); for example they required that anyone taking any medication be cleared by a physician with dive medicine training. The set-up could not have been easier for a land-based dive trip: the crew will manage, move set-up and clean your gear if you wish. Diving itself was pleasant with a 78 F/26 C ocean temperature, great vis (100+ ft), beautiful sponges, turtles, reef fish, and an occasional rare treat such as a seahorse or cuttlefish.

In addition to diving, there are 12 miles of mountain biking trails at Anse Mamin, a short boat ride from the SCUBA center; a reasonably well equipped fitness at Jade Mountain; tennis courts at Anse Chastanet; windsurfers, ocean kayaks and sunfish sailing boats at the beach; and of course swimming and snorkeling in the Marine Park.

Not to be missed are the yoga sessions offered at 7:00 am on the Celestial Terrace except for Saturdays. The teacher simultaneously manages guests at every level, making everyone feel welcome and inspiring a sense of community at Jade Mountain and more globally.

In fact, one of the greatest pleasures of Jade Mountain was the friendliness of all the staff members we encountered, from gardener to cook to manager to housekeeper. Jade Mounain is a wonderful place and seems to hire accordingly.

A few caveats. First, neither Jade Mountain nor Anse Chastanet is appropriate for those who are not fully mobile. The stairs from the beach to the treehouse number 129 and there are a further 188 to the base of Jade Mountain. Stairs from the base to the Celestial Terrace are nearly impossible to count given the stunning architecture. Second, the sanctuaries are open air (though totally private): those who need four walls or air conditioning might feel uncomfortable (though we found the ceiling fans and sea breeze kept the room sufficiently cool). Third, service at the restaurants can be slow by American standards, with most lunches and dinners running 2-3 hours (though you can request them to move through courses quickly and be done in 90 minutes).

Overall, Jade Mountain is among those few destinations you will never forget. Newlyweds or other celebrants will do well by choosing it to create treasured memories of a special place and time.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Renierk
Ridgeland, MS
Reviewed February 6, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Jade Mountain for our honeymoon in 2007. We stayed in a star sanctuary. The rooms were absolutely beautiful. I almost cried when I walked in I was so blown away!

We loved how beautiful the rooms were, how beautiful the location was and how relaxing the resort was. The infinity pool in the room is amazing! It was great having no electronic equipment so we could really focus on each other. Also, the staff was excellent. Very friendly and not intrusive at all and attentive to our needs. The beach was also beautiful and we loved the thatched roof huts for escaping from the sun with a flag you put in the sand for prompt service. Snorkeling right off the beach is also excellent, lots to see without having to go far.

The Sanctuary at Jade Mountain is also at the top of the mountain, so you're located above the people staying in Anse Chastanet. While the view may be better, this also means a pretty big hike up and down several times a day. You can call shuttle service if you need it but we never did. We felt like it kept us from gaining weight on our vacation, at least, but sometimes it was pretty tiresome. Our sanctuary was also located on one of the lower levels, so there was a maze of stairs to go up and down which also got a little old. It was about 5 flights of steps from our room to the restaurant above.

What we did not like: we had a pretty severe mosquito problem. We ended up buying mosquito repellant from the commissary at the top of the mountain. It was mandatory just to tolerate sitting in our room outside of the mosquito net. Maybe this was a problem because we were in a lower sanctuary. We compared notes with some other people staying in a higher sanctuary and they said they hadn't seen any mosquitoes. One night when we went to dinner we left the lights on and our room looked like the scene from Indiana Jones where the girl sticks her hand in the hole and it comes out covered in giant bugs. Horrific! We had to turn out the lights and go walk around for a while. Some of them went away, but not all and definitely not nearly enough for my liking. I shudder just thinking about it. So don't leave your lights on if you leave your room. But our main concern was the food. The food at Jade Mountain was absolutely horrible. Mediocre at best. We were really disappointed. Some of it was pretty inedible, including the food at the Treehouse. We felt like the food at the restaurant down on the beach at Anse Chastanet was much better, including the Indian themed restaurant, which had the best food of all. The service and atmosphere at all the restaurants was excellent, just not the food. The menus were also very limited and didn't change from night to night.

The rooms are very open, which is great, but there is absolutely nothing separating the toilet from the rest of the room. This was an issue for me since I usually like the use the bathroom in private. We were on our honeymoon and although we are married I still don't want my husband to know all of my "secrets." Ha! Maybe if we go back in 20 years I won't care, but for now I'd like to at least have something between him and me when I'm doing my business. I was not prepared for that at all.

One other issue: the resort wasn't completed fully when we were there. The owner was working on some glass sculptures to go around the Jade Mountain area but in the mean time there were several unfinished and uncovered prongs of rebar sticking up everywhere. Pretty unsightly. There was also some other construction going on. Maybe it's been completed by now, but as of last summer (2008) I was looking at some recent photos of the resort and the artwork still wasn't done. So all in all I think it was a little too pricey for what we got. If the food was a lot better and the resort was finished completely (art and all) then for me it would be much more worth the price.

• Liked — Beautiful, private, amazing infinity pool in room
  • Disliked — Horrible food
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
10 Thank ms_momma_08
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Jade Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!