Overall, St. Lucia is a great island! It's lush & hilly everywhere and the Pitons (the iconic mountains you can see from Jade) are absolutely stunning! I'd never get tired of looking at them!
As for Jade Mountain, it's definitely a gorgeous, unique hotel & we will visit again. However, there are a few things to keep in mind:
1) Not all of the rooms are open air & have their own pools. The first night we got there, the pool rooms were full so we had to stay in a "Sky Suite" w/o a pool. The suite was okay, but definitely not worth the money...If you stay at Jade, definitely go for an infinity pool room, it's not worth it otherwise & there is no "community pool" - so you'd be left pool-less.
2) We went in October, and it was still really really hot. Even at night it was 80 degrees...I was fine with it, but my boyfriend was a little annoyed by the heat, especially at night. (Because it's open air, there is no AC - but there are several ceiling fans & one right above the bed).
3) Be prepared to spend money - it's not just the room that's expensive, but everything! Breakfast was like $32 for an entree / $18 for an omelette...Dinner is a mandatory 4 course meal and is like $85 per person w/o drinks & expect to pay like $20 for a sandwich at lunch. It's not a big deal for most that stay there, but if you're not spending all of your vacation budget on the room. And because the road up to the resort is really bad and takes like 15 mins to get out of the resort, cabs are like $50 round trip minimum to get anywhere else.
4) Watch out - Jade inflates the price on EVERYTHING (times 2 in some cases) if you want to do any fun day trips or activities. For example, we rented a sailboat for a few days...Jade quoted us $900/ half-day for the boat & we ended up booking it ourselves and paying $600-$700 for the full day with the same company. (It was awesome btw - we rented it through Mystic Man). So if you want to do other activities, I'd recommend booking them yourself.
5) If you're big into partying then Jade / the entire Soufriere area isn't for you...There isn't much to do at night! (Which was fine by us, we were there for the sun & relaxation and aren't big drinkers).
Now for the good stuff :)...
1) If you like snorkeling / scuba - there are a ton of great spots in St. Lucia...In fact, there is a really cool reef & wall literally right on the beach at Jade. And the water is amazing, it's like bath water! And you can get water taxi's that will take you to other cool snorkeling spots.
2) The rooms are great and view from the rooms is just as breathtaking as it is on the website. But, make sure to visit Jade with someone you know extremely well. The room is wide-open, even the shower and the bathroom don't have a door or a full wall!!
3) You get your own butlers who are really nice guys & overall the service is really good. (It is a little slow - but that's island life...We found that to be true everywhere).
If you do stay at Jade, it's very easy to stay at the resort the entire trip (especially with the horrible road), but I encourage you to go out & check out other places! Here's what we loved:
1) Mystic Man sailboat rental was awesome - we got to check out Margiot & Rodney Bays & even saw hundreds of dolphins :)
2) Jaliouse has a decent snorkeling spot, hobecat rentals & really fun tubing rides!
3) Chocolat Hotel has an amazing restaurant- everything is made with cocoa!
4) Take a water taxi tour of the island - Simon down at the beach is great!
5) Check out the local fish fry on Fridays :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rising majestically above its 49 room sister resort Anse Chastanet, a 600 acre beach front property, Jade Mountain is a cornucopia of organic architecture celebrating St Lucia’s stunning scenic beauty. The 29 luxury suites are called sanctuaries, sweeping spaces where bedroom, living area and an extravagant private infinity pool glide into one another to form extraordinary platforms floating out into nature. With the fourth wall entirely absent, Jade Mountain’s sanctuaries are stage-like settings from which to embrace the full glory of St Lucia’s Pitons World Heritage Site and the Caribbean Sea. Jade Mountain has set a new standard in the Caribbean whether it is for modern design, luxury living or unique resort and guest service experiences.Wrapped around an infinity pool with a dazzling kaleidoscope of colors, the Jade Mountain Club restaurant caters exclusively to resident guests, celebrating James Beard Award winner Chef Allen Susser’s “Jade Cuisine.” Hovering in space above the Jade Mountain Club is the Celestial Terrace, perfect for sunset cocktails or star-gazing.A wide range of spa services can be enjoyed in the privacy of the Jade Mountain sanctuaries or at Kai en Ciel, Jade Mountain’s boutique spa and fitness studio. The resort major domos and a dedicated resort team ensure outstanding service around the clock.Guests may enjoy the exclusivity and privacy of Jade Mountain plus access to all of Anse Chastanet’s facilities and services: Nestled amidst a lush tropical 600 acre tropical estate with two soft sand beaches bordering pristine coral reefs, Anse Chastanet is right in the heart of the island’s marine reserves with St. Lucia’s legendary twin peaks, the Pitons, as the dramatic backdrop.The active will enjoy the resort’s amazing range of adventure facilities. Facilities include 4 restaurants & 3 bars, professional spa, PADi 5* scuba centre, water sports with kayaking centre, 12 miles of private biking and hiking trails with mountain bike rental, sailing yacht, 3 boutiques, library and art gallery. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, West Indies, Expedia, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Booking.com, TravelUp, Jetsetter, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Jade Mountain Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jade Mountain Hotel
- Hotel Jade Mountain
- Jade Mountain St Lucia
- Jade Mountain Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere