“Unreal Honeymoon”

Jade Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I spent my honeymoon in St. Lucia from October 15th-23rd, Three of these nights we spent at Sandals Grande, and five nights we spent at Jade Mountain. I read reviews religiously for months and months leading up to the honeymoon to re-assure myself that this experience was going to be worth the money, and it really truly is an unbelievable experience. I'll comment on a lot of common reviews I read to give me honest opinion on..

The Drive: Yes the road is horrible, lets be honest. It's curves in every direction, it's not paved, it's really bumpy and it appears that only one car can fit down the road but somehow they find a way to fit two. Note: We were informed by multiple drivers that they keep the road in this condition to keep any outsiders out of their properties and beaches.

The Property/Sanctuaries: It's absolutely shocking when you first see this place. Every sanctuary has it's own bridge, that you're escorted to by a Major Domo. We stayed in JC4, which is a "Moon Sanctuary" (we got upgraded from the Star Sanctuary we booked - SCORE). When you walk in to the room you might fall over none of the pictures you'll see on here will ever do it justice.

Major Domos: Every room has a butler - we had a mix of Major Domo's through the week who were super friendly. We just never really found much of a need for them other then to restock my fridge, book an excursion, or make a dinner reservation. You're connected to your Major Domo through a Firefly cell phone, where you can call your Major Domo for anything you may need. My firefly almost never worked so that was annoying - we were introduced to a broken firefly when we arrived, and then another broken one, and then we were shown how to clean the battery of the phone in case it doesn't work. I found myself stopping other Major Domo's for help getting the thing to work (I'm a 26 year old techy guy I know how to use technology very well). My only other complaint with the Major Domo's is that we had 3 requests "lost" that took a second phone call to get resolved. (Mind you we probably only made 6 requests the entire 5 days) Other people seemed to be using them more often then us, but for us we just didn't really need their services.

The Beach: The beach is really cool and really private. It's a black sand beach which is different, and the snorkeling there was fantastic. The other beach property that Jade has (Anse Mamin I think?) is also nice too - and it's even more private. Every time we went there there were only a few people hanging around.

The Walk Down: It's pretty bad. Me and my wife are really fit young people, who exercise daily and it was pretty bad even for us. All the reviews I read complained about this and I thought ot myself that everyone was a bunch of babies but it is pretty bad. You'll be sweating when you get to the top - but really, everyone is a baby. You're choosing to stay in a mountain, if you want to walk out of your room to the beach then stay somewhere else. There's a shuttle available for people who don't want to walk. A common statement I heard was "Walk Down, Shuttle Up". Sounds pretty good to me. Plus exercise is good for you people.

Restaurants: The restaurants were absolutely incredible. We ate at all of them, and every meal was absolutely delicious. Every time we ate we looked at each other and said "This is the best ____ I've ever had". Really you're going to be spoiled - I came back 10 pounds heavier from stuffing my face the entire time. Make sure you stop by the burger place on the Anse Mamin - holy crap it's good

Total Romance Package: Totally worth it. If I didn't do this and I saw what the meals cost I would have been eating my fingernails all week rather then food. Every bill I saw for our food was $200+ for the two of us. It's also nice that you have a lot of excursion's offered through this as well. The drinks package out of this wasn't good though. You're offered a menu to restock your fridge whenever you'd like but your options are pretty much water, juice, soda, or beer (additional fee's for rum, champange, wine, etc). We had full bottles of 5 different liquors at Sandals - Jade can step it up here. We're in the Caribbean after all, can't we get some Rum??

Excursions: We did the Volcano Tour, Sulphur Springs, and Mineral Bath, Zip lining (not included in Total Romance Package), and 1/2 Day Sailing. Volcano Tour was a bit of a let down - our driver didn't stop at the Mud which is from what we hear the best part. Zip Lining was AWESOME - we went to Morne Coubaril Estate which was great. The guides are great and it is really safe. I think there's other better places but they're only offered on certain days (not sure why) so when you get there spend some time planning out your week to take advantage. The 1/2 day Sailing was great too.

Weather: We were really worried about the weather since it's the "rainy season" and when we looked at the forecast every day was showing rain. We only saw rain one night where it was really coming down. It was cool watching it from your room.

Misc: It does get pretty warm sometimes in the room with no AC. Might just be me, I'm from Boston, and I like to sleep in rooms that are 60 degrees. The fans generally do a good job keeping it cool. The toilet situation can be awkward but if your significant other is in the pool or something it's a good time to go ahead and poo while he/she's not nearby. We had a leak in the ceiling of our sanctuary that would occasionally drip water on to my head but I was so hot I didn't even care. Birds will fly in, and they will make noise in the morning. If you're eating in your room you could find a bird standing on your food if you walk away for a couple minutes but just be careful about it and it's no problem. You actually start to enjoy the birds flying around. They will get you up at 6AM though with all the noise they make, but that's good stop wasting your time sleeping in this beautiful place. Tree frogs aren't a problem - you'll hear them where ever you stay so don't worry about that.

That's about all I got. I pointed out the negatives in these just to make you aware of a couple things, but really there were so many postiives in each of these that I could go on forever. I would highly recommend this to people if you can swing the costs. There are no TVs but you do get wireless (which only works half the time). I guess that's a good thing so it'll keep you away from your e-mail and the internet for a while.

Room Tip: Get a room with an infinity pool - otherwise you're wasting your time.
9  Thank Dave B

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The rooms at Jade are frankly over the top, imagine an architect (the owner) given free reign to build his vision. Words don't really describe the experience of being in the room and overlooking the Pitons. All of the staff was always helpful and courteous. The overall resort, including Anse Chastanet, is one of our favorites of all of our Caribean travel. It is relaxing, laid back, and very cozy. You can not miss a burger at Anse Mamin beach next door, it was great. The food at the resort overall was of very high quality and didn't disapoint. I would recommend doing some type of all inclusive plan, the al a carte prices are steep. We were on the Total Romance package, the only drawback was that there were more activities included than we could possibly do in 5 nights. I personally took several dive trips with them and they did a good job, several of the more popular sites are literally a 10 min boat ride away, they also have a nice reef just off the beach.

Staying at Jade is truly a unique experience; yes it's expensive, but in all of our travels through the world, this is truly the most special resort/room that we have found. I would highly recommend it, we were on our honeymoon and it is a fantastic place for that special a trip.

To address some of the complaints that I read prior to going:
The road - yes it is narrow, twisty, steep, and bumpy. Get over it, you're in the Caribean many roads are like this.
The weather - You're picking a unique place that is open to the elements, know that and accept the risk. We had a tropical storm our last night there with 40 mph winds (thank you Rafael), we made it through and will be a story for the rest of our lives.
Bugs - We had none...

Room Tip: We stayed in a Moon suite, it was very nice. Can't comment on the other categories since we didn...
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I did a two week honeymoon in St. Lucia and we definitely saved the best resort for last, The Jade Mountain! I cannot say enough wonderful things about this place. It's like nothing I have ever experienced before. The stunning views, the awesome infinity pools, the amazing "sanctuaries", the superb service by our private butlers...it was just incredible. The place is just wild! An added little excursion we did was a helicopter tour and transport to the resort (they have a helicopter pad). It was worth every penny! If you are looking to splurge, relax and have an experience of a lifetime then you need to go to the Jade Mountain! You will not be disappointed!

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Jade Mountain was just wonderful. I did a lot of research because it can be quite pricey. But looking online just doesn't do it justice. The view is absolutely breathtaking, and upon entering our room I got goosebumps so beautiful! Bottle of Champagne waiting. The room alone was awesome, and you feel like no-one else is there. Our major Domo Teddy was wonderful. Anything we needed he got it for us.

We had no problems with bugs or mosquitos which i was initially worried about. There are some birds who like to chirp early, and fight with themselves in the bathroom mirrors.
Also, the resort is up a road for two miles so I was worried about the food. Being held hostage where the food wasn't good......WRONG it was Awesome! Every resturant on the property was equally delicious. And we made some of the best friends with the locals who worked there. Everyone was very personable.
Climbing the Gros Piton is a must such spectacular views. So was the scuba and snorkeling.

Note: you really need to enjoy the person you go with. There is no television, radio etc..

There's not a single day the goes by that I don't think about that view. And I can't wait to go back again.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
16  Thank stacey r
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We recently stayed at Jade Mountain and Anse Chanset for our honeymoon and it was amazing. We did the total romance package and the activities and all the food/drinks were top notch.

However, there were two negative things that ruined our experience a little bit. When we checked into Jade we found a half eaten cookie in our infinity pool - pretty gross to come upon right when you get there (esp when you aren't sure what it is at first). Also that night at dinner a cockroach jumped on our table and then jumped right onto me! Although I understand that we are outside and there are bugs - I did not expect a cockroach running onto me at Jade. I went and told the night receptionist about both incidents. She took down notes and asked if I wanted to speak to the night manager (which I did not right then) but no one ever followed up on the incidents or offered any type of apology - which I was a little shocked by.

Overall great experience but think management should make a point to just follow up on these types of issues.

11  Thank Katie D
Reviewed October 5, 2012

It's hard to know where to begin. Jade Mountain is unlike any other hotel. First, any pictures do not do the sanctuaries or entire property justice. The views are amazing. The infinity pool, spacious sanctuary, service with a call to your Major Domo - you don't need to worry about anything. This is a place for a romantic getaway to spend quality time with your sweetie. We appreciated having access to all of the facilities at Anse Chastenet. The beaches are lovely and generally quiet. You need to be prepared to be off the grid as there's spotty Internet service, no TV or ac. We had the best intentions to take some excursions but in the end just spent every day on the beach. The spa is lovely. Food was adequate - not special - but service and setting make up for that. We had breakfast in our room every day and had a lovely dinner in our sanctuary on our anniversary. This was all covered under the meal plan. So if you're looking for a romantic, quiet getaway, Jade Mountain is one of a kind.

3  Thank Marybeth58
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We had stayed in Anse Chastanet before and had a wonderful time but wanted to return and try Jade Mountain and we were not disappointed. After two lovely days again at Anse Chastanet where there were the same charming and helpful staff we moved for our next five days to jade.It really is something special and the rooms/sanctuaries are amazing. We had a spectacular view of the pitons which we could see from our bed and the whole room was perfect from the shower to the infinite pool. As people say, you have to know you partner well! The open wall is what makes it and you wake up with the sunset and birds - at least we certainly did. Jade itself is inspirational as a design and you can only appreciate it fully when you are there rather than from the sea. The food is also spectacular and we had some wonderful meals. So it completely lived up to what we were expecting - and more. If we had to quibble, it would be around the responsiveness of the major domos but that is only a quibble and we had great service from Teddy who served us in our room one night. It's not cheap but well worth it.

1  Thank londonlooking
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Jade Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!