“A crown jewel with flaws”

Jade Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“A crown jewel with flaws”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Upon arrival We were welcomed and everyone was busy taking care of us as if we were royalty. The sanctuary had a WOW effect as soon as we walked in. If you want seclusion, it surely can be obliged. The infinity pool givesthe waterfall sound effect and the fresh air from the fourth wall missing provides a well rested nights worth of sleep. The food they provide is top notch. One suggestion however, go for the all inclusive package since meal prices are extremely high on the ala carte basis. Don't worry about bugs and mosquitoes. We didn't experience any and yet they provide a screen around your bed for extra protection against pests. If you have a meal in your room or a snack be sure to get it out of your room or hide it away immediately. Due to the open wall that provides beautiful scenery, birds have a tendency to search for your food and food remnants. Being an animal lover and a nature enthusiast, I wouldn't mind the birds flying in and out at will but they're wild animals carrying diseases and everytime they land on the table or wherever they drop mites. When they drop mites on the table, the mites are left scrambling all over the place looking for another bird to climb on and this is where I become disgusted. When we raise the issue To any member of the staff they smile and say, "Oh". They offer no apology and no explanation. They do nothing about it. The bird is you is out of control. Would I recommend Jade Mountain to another honeymoon couple? Absolutely yes! It's got great romantic ambiance about it And in all honesty I would not suggest any place that has more hustle and bustle because this place is so nice and relaxing. You can really get close to one another here. Just bring an ultra sonic pest device with you. Every restaurant in the place has birds attacking the tables. They're looking for food all the time when the restaurant is empty and the tables are already set with your glasses silverware and plates. We recommend that the table be new linens when you arrive and new plates silverware and drinking glasses. Don't walk away from your table unless one of you stays at the table because the birds flock in and eat your food when you turn your back... especially in the treehouse restaurant. I know this sounds like I'm bashing the place. Really I'm not. Just giving you the honest heads up so you remember to bring the device with you if you don't want to be bothered by birds. We suggested to Jade Mountain... purchase some of those pest control devices for a couple hundred dollars. Maybe they will. Till then folks it's up to us if we want to stay in such a lovely place. And it really is the best place to stay. Absolutely spectacular! Christus was our favorite Butler.

• Stayed September 2012
13 Thank BigJonsAngel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
TN
Reviewed September 18, 2012

There are few words that can truly describe the amazing exp you will have at this resort. Bugs were a non factor. Heat was a non factor. Everyday was as good as the last day which is hard to accomplish for any resort. Most fo the time you feel like your ready to go home because you have done everything while on vacation. Not at Jade. Every morning when you get to wake up looking at a breathtaking view with the one you love is a blessing in itself. Don't have a bad thing to say about this place. Food and fun was out of this world. Stayed in JE1 and was simply amazed with everything. If you can afford this trip, take it. The older guy who sang on our last night was the best. We actually paid him to play longer with 2 other couples. This trip was my only break off from working in Iraq and we couldn't have done better. This was the trip of a lifetime.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Mosul2001
WEST HEMPSTEAD
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Where to begin? Let's start with what my wife and I hated about Jade Mountain. We hated that we had to leave. That's it. Now it was beyond what we expected. ABSOLUTELY incredible. Customer service, warmth and efficiency by ALL employees, including the drivers, butlers, masseuses, security, waiters and waitresses, Bike Tyson and the tour, scuba/sailing/snorkeling/diving personnel, cleaners, and managers that worked side by side with staff and not above them. Amazing. Oh yeah and the guy (I think his name is Henderson) that does this cool presentation when he is about to cut the bread sooo cool. We have been spreading the word and will DEFINTELY be back there and other resorts in St. Lucia. ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE. N&S 8/25/12

Room Tip: Make sure the room has an infinity pool...and the higher up the better.
5 Thank SEANAHESI
Lakeland, Florida, United States
Reviewed September 4, 2012

First let me talk about the negative review that I just read by alspin2012. This 5 star resort is located in the jungle and is about an hours drive from the closest airport. The drive from the airport to the hotel is down winding paved roads with beautiful views. The last 5-10 minutes of the trip was a steep incline on an unpaved section of the road. I found the ride to be bumpy, but not overwhelming. I feel like the negative reviews regarding the roads were from people expecting the road systems to be on par with those of the United States or other very developed countries.
With all of the rooms at Jade Mountain having 1 wall removed to take advantage of the spectacular views, so of course there is no AC (except 1 sky room, 4 walls and an A/C unit)! My wife and I stayed in JF4, one of the Sky Jacuzzi suites and absolutely loved it. The view was breathtaking, the staff couldn’t have been any more friendly and accommodating, and the room was very spacious. With the rooms being open architecture you do get a lot of noise from birds and tree frogs. That being said, we expected this since the rooms were missing a wall and the hotel was located in the middle of the forest. We stayed here in early August which is one of the hottest times of year, it was. But it’s the Caribbean in August, of course it’s going to be hot and humid! As for the stairs, I consider myself to be in good shape and my legs were sore from going up and down stairs all day(completely worth it though).
Thankfully we had decided to book the all inclusive Total Romance Package which I would highly recommend. Our food/bar bill would have been astronomical and we defiantly made out ahead by taking advantage of this package. As for getting receipt and signing for them, it was explained to us that this was for inventory purposes at the hotel and we did not find it a problem to see how much money we would have spent on drinks and food during the course of our stay. There is a list of drinks that are and aren’t included in the all inclusive package (specialty drinks and top shelf liquors aren’t included). Most people I know have a few go to drinks that they stick with, so I can’t see why this would be an issue for anyone.
I’m a big mojito fan and my wife loves strawberry daiquiris, both drinks were our drink of choice while on the island and I can honestly say they have the best mojitos I’ve had to date! The food at Jade Mountain is every bit of 5 star cuisine and the food at the beach bar restaurant is tops as well although I obviously can’t consider it five stars!
St Lucia is beautiful and the people are so friendly and accommodating that I would recommend it as a travel destination for anyone looking to travel the Caribbean or thinking about a trip to Hawaii. Although Jade Mountain certainly is expensive, it was the trip of a lifetime for my wife and I and we are hoping to be able to find ourselves at jade Mountain again soon

8 Thank Nathan S
Boonton, New Jersey
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We just returned from Jade Mountain and were very disappointed, as we were expecting more from a 5 star resort. For starters our one hour drive from the airport was in a tired and worn out vehicle. The air-conditioning was so weak that the driver kept the window open. (This by the way was the very last time we experienced air conditioning again until our departure 8 days later, in a much better vehicle). Needless to say the last ten minutes of a grueling ride ended on a winding and very bumpy dirt road, which not only was hurting our lower backs but scary as other vehicles would suddenly appear around a blind curve.

Upon arriving at the registration reception, after ten minutes of waiting we were greeted with a non-alcoholic ‘cocktail’ the size of a small juice glass and introduced to one of the two Major Domos would we were assigned for the week. He escorted us to our room which was upgraded from a JD2 Sanctuary to JA4. Apparently the upgrade had to do with a larger room since it offered less of view with no sunbathing by the infinity pool as we were lower to the ground and consequently saw very little sun. (This actually turned out to be a blessing as we experienced a tropical depression mid week which caused the sanctuaries above us to get water in them, not to mention the additional climb to these higher leveled rooms). While the room was lovely, it too was tired and worn out. For example there were cracks in the ceiling, the jet on the whirlpool leaked, one of the fans was not operating, the lamp switch was busted and the seal on the door on the fridge was not closing keeping all beverages including the beer warm. The humidity was so high in the room that despite the nine ceiling fans it was always warm and sticky. Too bad the infinity pool was so cold because you couldn’t even use it to cool off. Be prepared to use ear plugs if you like to sleep past 6 am because the birds are typically up screeching.

We had booked the all inclusive romance package, to avoid the hassle of bills or worries about what we could or could not eat and/or drink. Unfortunately this was not that case as we had to constantly check which spirits were covered and worse yet had to sign every single time you order something including a bottle of water. Who wants to “see” how much everything cost? We already shelled out enough money. Despite us being so cognizant of what we were being charged for, the final bill had drinks on it that we were told were included, not to mention being overcharged $5 for a lobster tail when the menu quoted $25. Apparently this resort is not making enough of a profit, that they need to nickel and dime you. For example we were charged $10 a day for the use of BCD to go diving and get this, 20 cents for a band-aid!!

The food was very good and the soups were exceptionally delicious. There is virtually no night life except for a band that plays in the bars down in the sister resort - Anse Chastanet or for those nights which you want romance, the Jade restaurant usually had someone performing. By 10:30 the music ends in both resorts. The beach is small, with an incline to negotiate upon exiting. It is recommended that you book this trip in their dry season as we had very little sun with very cool water. The tropical depression we experienced left the resort without electricity luckily for only 6 hours because there is no back up generators.

Unless you want to climb 300 stairs back up to your sanctuary, you are at the mercy of your Major Domo (Butler) who will have to arrange a shuttle to pick you up. Hopefully you will have a good Domo like Christus who was usually very prompt with responding to our request, in comparison to the times our other Domo left us stranded. By the way every one does expect tips so be prepared to pay.

While it was an experience to stay at Jade Mountain and see the beautiful Piton Mountains from your sanctuary, and speak with the St. Lucian natives who are all very lovely, we did not feel this resort warranted the price. At the very least it should not be advertised as 5 star resorts and perhaps we would have not been so disappointed!

Room Tip: Rooms which offer the most sun light and possible a terrace for sunbathing.
38 Thank alspin2012
Phoenix
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My wife and I just returned from Jade Mountain Resort in St. Lucia and had an absolutely incredible experience!!. The service, food, accommodations, and scenery are with out a doubt 5 stars all around. Now it must be understood this resort is not your typical 5 star establishment it is an incredibly unique experience. The rooms are large, ours was aprox 1800 sq ft and the entire ocean facing part of the room is opened to the view (no windows/shades). There is no AC/TV but there were about 8 ceiling fans and a large fresh water infinity pool that is essential for staying cool. The bathroom includes an open shower with body jets, large jacuzzi tub, and a toilet with an awesome view. However their is not much privacy as it is open so make sure you and your significant other are comfortably with each others bathroom habits. There are some insects but they were not a problem and the 4 post bed has a great insect screen around it with a ceiling fan with in the four post bed. Wind and rain were not a probleml. We had a tropical storm roll through during our stay, and were very comfortable watching it from with in our sanctuary. Your room does have wifi but no TV. The hotel is on top of a Mountain; however the beach is great and only a 2 min ride down the hill. Each room has a butler and you are given a firefly phone (cell) to call him whenever you need something (ride to/from the beach, reservation for dinner, setting up excursions). The food is outstanding with the dinner menu changing every night. The food is expensive, and I would strongly recommend getting an all inclusive meal package. It will save you a lot of money and covers food/beverage at Jade Mountain as well as food/drinks on the beach. As long as you are ok with this open concept of the resort you will have an amazing time!!!!! We will be going back.

5 Thank pbrory
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is the room. We woke up every morning with the sunrise, and went to sleep a few hours after sunset. When we were hot, we went swimming. Everything was amazing and natural. One week here, after the craziness at work and our wedding was like resetting our bodies and minds.

The scuba diving was great. The snorkeling was the greatest- the water was pristine, the fish were electric neon colors, you float effortlessly. The sailing trip pretty much convinced us to buy a boat.

That said.... for the price-tag you'd expect things to be over the top perfect. The food was great, especially in the evenings (flawless really) but the breakfasts were redundant and there wasn't anything spectacular on the snacks menu for room service (they also ran out of cokes for several days, which is weird since coca cola is pretty basic) . The most awkward thing about the resort was the tipping, there is no policy on no tipping and it definitely seems expected. I heard from a lady on the beach that the staff made 17 dollars US per day, it seemed horribly inequitable given we spent close to 11k for the week. Despite the fact that we spent a fortune on our wedding we got over our irritation after finding out the pay rates and tipped over 500 dollars during the course of the week. Better tips did get us better service, or more friendly service, but it definitely didn't get our room service delivered faster- it was so so slow.

While trying to build our schedules on our first day we had a receptionist tell us if we didn't use our Scuba vouchers that day we weren't going to be able to use them at all, a manager resolved this for us, but it was a little ridiculous that not everyone at the resort was willing to go above and beyond. There was no attempt to figure things out for us, or find an alternative, or just make it happen- until the manager got involved. We're a little baffled that the receptionist even tried to help us, or that she was allowed since she didn't know how to. And the worst, the worst thing, was when I got my shirodhara treatment at the spa (it dried out my hair) and I could hear the lady TEXTING during my service.. not relaxing. If you're spending this kind of money on this resort I guarantee you've had better spa services elsewhere, I definitely have.

Our honeymoon was unbelievable, but there were a few quirks which disappointed us. We had the highest expectations and for the most part they were met, but we've both had better food, better customer service. Overall it's really worth the indescribable experience of having one wall totally exposed to a magnificent view and the elements, getting back to a natural state.

Room Tip: don't leave food out overnight the birds will wake you.
7 Thank janemac29
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Jade Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!