“Incredible Room with a View!”

Jade Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 30, 2007

We stayed for five nights for our anniversary and thoroughly enjoyed our time at Jade Mountain. We had some concerns about construction/service from other reviews, but we are so glad that we booked the trip to Jade Mountain. This was our first trip to St. Lucia, but we have stayed at other Carribean resorts, Caneel Bay, Little Dix and Bitter End--but nothing compares to the rooms/experieince at Jade Mountain. Even the pictures posted on the resort web site and by others cannot do the room and the hotel design justice. We stayed in the room and went out daily to scuba dive. We were there to hide and relax--this is the ultimate place for relaxing/reading/enjoying each other!!! If you want activities, they were there, but we loved the diving and with a room like we had...there was no interest in leaving for other activities.

Yes, there is a climb back and forth to the beach. We are not beach people--no real interest in hanging out on the beach (remember--its all about the room!!!) We went back and forth to the beach each day to dive and had several meals on the beach. While not easy, the climb is certainly doable and not tortuous. As to the concerns about construction/service--there were workers about--but never many and they were fairly unobtusive--and always friendly. There was the ocassional noise, but the work day is very short and we were never bothered, despite being in an end unit close to the unfinished portion of the construction.

The service was always friendly and helpful--dinner service is slow, but this is the islands and RELAX! When we asked for prompt service due to dive trip etc. we were always accomodated and the room service was wonderful--timely and responsive. The Jade Mountain Club was the best location and the food was always good. The Indian restaurant on the beach was the best--we ate there several times. The staff was always accomodating and helpful wherever we went.

Bugs? I think we saw/heard 3 mosquitos the whole time. Did not even need repellant. Comfort for sleeping without air conditioning--we asked for an extra floor fan for the evenings and needed it two nights out of five--I do recommend getting the fan for your stay--set it up outside the netting over the bed and on the lowest setting it is perfect for sleeping. Even for a couple like us who prefers it to be very cool for sleeping, we never missed air conditioning.

In the end, if you are looking for a unique, romantic get away, this is an amazing place and I would highly recommend it. We were upgraded to the largest suite and there is nothing like the feeling of the infinity pool, the huge room and the spectacular view that you can get here. Even the materials in the room are fabulous--the wood on the floors and walls, the colored tile, the open wall--nothing like you will find anywhere. When they took us to the room they called it our "sanctuary." While we thought it a bit pretensious at first--we soon realized they were being totally descriptive. It is a santuary and you just want to stay, and stay and stay.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sailor67

Reviewed October 27, 2007

I would truly like to write a absolutely glowing review of Jade Mountain. Unfortunately I cannot.

We spent 10 days on the wonderful island of St Lucia for our honeymoon. The first 7 days were spent at Ti Kaye and the last 3 at Jade Mountain.

We checked in on Sunday afternoon and I was pleasantly surprised that the room that I had requested was actually provided. We stayed in JC1, which is the 3rd floor corner room. Its their Sun category room, I paid at the Moon rate however. So it all started very well.

The room:
Absolutely fantastic, the panoramic views are breath taking and the appointments from the bathroom to the chairs and tanning lounges are all fantastic. The bed was comfortable but the sheets left something to be desired. They were quite frankly a little on the cheap side and scratchy, the room also had no fan on that side of the room so it was at times a bit stuffy at night making sleep a little more difficult. But overall the room is stunning and amazing.

Service:
After checking in as night approached I noticed that our infinity pool lights were not working properly and were stuck on one color. I reported the problem to the desk around 6:30pm and they informed me someone would come that night and fix them. We ordered room service and the night wore on but no one ever showed up. So the following morning I reported that our lights had not been fixed at 9:00am and that we were leaving for a walk and could they please be fixed.

We returned at 11:30am to find houskeeping working on the room so I ventured in and asked about the lights to which I was greeted with 3 pairs of eyes looking at me who had no idea that a problem existed. They got maintenace on the walkie talkies and had someone there in about 10 minutes...but we had scheduled massages for noon and they were unable to fix the problem. Just before our massages the manager came and talked to me and apologized for the situation and knowing we had our massages coming asked us if we would be going out to dinner. I said yes. He said he would have them fixed when we left for dinner and I said that would be fine. At 6:30 we left for dinner and informed them of our departure.

We returned at 8:45 to find a room with out any lights fixed, the room had been truned down and all of our towels hanging up removed and NOT replaced with new ones. So not only was our pool not fixed as promised but we had ONE towel between the 2 of us. The room started off with 9 towels in it which was ample.

I went to the desk and asked why my lights hadnt been fixed and was informed that maintenace was on site for the past hour and 15 minutes and were fixing a dimmer switch in someone elses room. I informed her of my agreement with the manager and she said she would send somebody right over. I said its to late, we are back from dinner and I want to spend the night with my wife and not have some maintenance guy rummaging about in my room. The whole point was to fix it so as not to inconvience us, which was uttelry and hopelessly failing.

When I pay as much as I am paying for a room like that I expect service to off the charts as well as the room itself. 3 times they had failed to fix our pool not including giving us a room with the lights not working making it 4 had they checked the room. The lights of the pool warrant a whole section on their website. They provide an essential ambience of the room at night. Them not working for 2/3's of our stay is unforgivable.

The following morning i had a personal meeting with the manager who again apologized and who I for the record sincerely believe, but this did not excuse their operational mistakes with us and I requested a monetary adjustment to our bill. He sent someone who fixed the pool shortly after our meeting. I spent my 3rd day at Jade and final day of my honeymoon negotiating and thinking about their offer/offers, which is most certainley NOT how i wanted to spend my final day. I requested a half day rate for one day and got most of what I asked for.

The overall Resort:
Throughout our 3 days there I found the service to sound very canned and robotic. "Did you have a nice day?" and other similar word tracks were repeated by everyone there. And while they seemed nice it came off as insincere and not really caring.

We had breakfast by the beach one morning and it took over 25 minutes for our omlettes to be made. There was a grand total of 4 couples sitting there, making the place almost empty. Im on vacation yes, but I do have other thaings I want to do other than sit at a breakfast table for an hour.

At Jades exclusive resturaunt on top it took us nearly 3 hours to complete a 3 course meal. I know its a european resort but for god sakes there is only so long I want to sit at a table for dinner. We figured out that room service is the only way to eat at the resort, and quite frankly that plays ultra well into spending as much time as possible in your room.

In the end I believe that Jade Mountain is lacking the overall staff capable of living up to the amazing rooms they have built. In my opinion they have operational issues that do not allow the flow of communication to happen properly and thus the expectations of the guest are not being met when a situation arises. If you want to spend the kind of money this place demands then I suggest that you be prepared for service that doesn't measure up. I cant say I am dissapointed I stayed there because the view and rooms are exceptional but I can say I will never be returning due to the systemic service issues.

If you think I must just be a picky travelor, you will want to read my Ti Kaye review. Had Jade provided their service this review would have been considerably different.

12  Thank SunSwingsLow
Reviewed October 22, 2007

We decided to go to St Lucia for our honeymoon. We had heard great things about the island, read some good reviews, most of which were about Sandals, which I thought sounded appealing, and decided to head there. We had been to a few all-inclusive resorsts before, and were looking for something different, a little less open-bar-organized-eventy-type place, a little more secluded honeymoonish and my wife found Anse Chastanet, which looked perfect online. I surprised my wife by not telling her where we were staying (which was hard) and booked our stay at Jade Mountain. This might have been the best decision I have ever made travel wise in my life, the resort is beyond comparison!

From the moment we arrived in St Lucia, the people were amazingly welcoming. Even the customs agent was pleasant. Our hotel greeter Vicky was great, and unfortunately because of weather we couldn't take the helicopter ride to the resort, which is recommended.

When we arrived at the resort and Peter (the AGM) showed us our room, we both almost started crying. We didn't cry at our wedding (too much) and we both almost cried when we first walked in. The view was perfect, we had a moon room, which is the middle tier, and it was massive. We live in a city, so a 500 SF pool, was close to the size of our entire condo, and the 15 foot ceilings, amazing. The pool was huge, the pictures online make them look smaller than they are, they really are huge. Definitely not plunging pools, you can literally swin back and forth in the pool, which I did often. Every detail of the room was perfectly designed, from the beautiful wood furniture to the shape of the tables, lamps, pool etc, it was breathtaking. The bathroom was beautiful, and the shower was great. We had to step back every time we enetered the room and say, "I can't believe we are staying in a room like this" and then correct ourselves and say sanctuary. We were worried about bugs, or I was, because I get killed by misquitos, but we had a coil lit (provided by the hotel) the entire time and there were very few bugs at all. We did bring some bug spray and candles, which we used, but the coils worked well,I actually brought some back with me because I thought I would miss the smell.

Words can't describe how beautiful this resort is, flowers everywhere, the architecture is stunning, the views insane. We put a few pics up, but without seeing it yourself, you can't really get a grasp for how breathtaking this resort is.

Our honeymoon was in the end of Sept, and the end of hurricane season, so the resort was empty. We had everything to ourselves, which was great! St Lucia is far enough south that most storms are just depressions down there and because of the location the weather was great! It rained one morning, and rained the day we arrived, but that was it, very little rain, a few clouds here and there, but they were welcomed as it is only like 15 degrees above the equator, and we got PLENTY of sun. We arrived on a Monday and that night they had a champagne welcome reception on the top floor at 'the club' which most of the mgmt level staffers attended. The staff the entire time we were there, were perfect. Everyone from Peter j Paul the Assistan GM (think that was his title) to Abo at the beach, to Marcella at the consierge desk, to Theo and Johnson our waiters on the beach, everyone was superb. We were treated like royalty the entire 9 days we were there...

We were lucky enough to have booked nine days there, and will definitely be heading back soon. It is by no means cheap, but if there is ever a time to splurge, we figured our honeymoon was it, and we made the right choice. We are privelleged enough to have stayed in some nice hotels around the world, and with my wife being an event planner, we typically are treated well (they want her business and money!), but nothing came even close to the staff at Jade Mountain. For the rest of our lives, we will be comparing every hotel we stay at to Jade, I kid you not. This place is as close to perfection as a resort can be.

We got an all-inclusive package, which is also recommended. The food and drinks were not cheap, and because of that, we didn't want to have to worry getting food or drinks at any time, and the total romance package. I highly recommend on day one or two, that you sit down and ask them to walk you through your package, there are like 10 different plans, so be sure to find out what is and is not included in yours. Ours included almost everything, just bottled wine, but almost everything else was included.

With this long review, I obviously am in love with this place, and HIGHLY recommend it to anyone. My only fear is that this place will become so popular, it will be hard to get a room...

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
14  Thank davezamborsky
Reviewed October 22, 2007

We stayed at Jade for 4 nights of our weeklong vacation (we stayed at Anse Chastanet for nights prior to moving up to Jade). Very glad we did upgrade as a totally different property - but with ability to use beach, restaurants and services at Anse.

The rooms are spectacular - truly unique and done in a very tasteful style. We had a "Moon" room that was perfect in size and layout - very open, but with a nice sitting area next to pool. We loved the open air feel as well as the views.

The Jade Mountain Club was also nice - especially the "Celestial" viewing area - open sitting are where you can spend hours just watching stars and having a drink or two. We ate at all restaurants at property - all a bit different and am sure everyone has their favorites for various meals (ie - breakfast in Tree House, lunch at Beach Grill and dinner at Jade or Apsara on beach).

In addition to the splendid architecture - what truly makes this place special are the people. Whether you are staying at AC or Jade - it's the staff that makes this place have a very high rate of repeat biz - they are that good! It only took a day to get used to not having a/c in rooms (get a free standing fan and use the nettting over bed) - and awakening to the sunrise and birds. Everyone turns in early - and not much night life - but one of most relaxing vacations we have ever had. Scuba is top notch, along with many activities including sailing, hikes and snorkeling.....or just sit on beach and read.

Yes - Jade is expensive - but for a special vacation, honeymoon or anniversary, you will be very happy you took the plunge!

4  Thank lmct
Reviewed October 19, 2007

I spent 3nts at this amazing hotel early Oct. We spent a few days there and the rest of our stay in the northern part of St. Lucia. We really liked this combination because the area nearby Jade Mountain is beautiful lush and green. From the outside one would think that the hotel is not finished, but then closer up you realize that the "no-walls" concept is amazing and looks beautiful. The architecture of the resort is unique and extremely well done, the suites are very large and the view of the pitons is very impressive. The only odd thing about the room is that the toilet doesn't have any walls/separation either and is basically all open within the bathroom and with that within the room since there are no walls/separations between the bathroom and the rest of the room. Something to get used to....

The staff on property is very friendly and one can take advantage of the services at Anse Chastenet, which is part of the same property. The beach at the hotel has dark sand and since we prefer more of a white sand beach we took a quick boat ride over to the beach at neighboring Jalousie, which has a really nice white sand beach.

We would highly recommend this hotel for those travelers who want something unique and honeymooners should absolutely consider this as an option for their honeymoon or wedding. The setting is truly spectacular.

3  Thank freqtraveler66
Reviewed September 28, 2007

We spent 5 /11 days at jade mountain and although it is a BEAUTIFUL place to stay and the rooms are breathtaking.. its not worth leaving your room for the price you pay a night.. room service is faster then ordering at the Jade club.. the walk down the 200 stairs to the average restaurants is not bad but the climb back up is horrible and we are pretty active people.. we did take the shuttle once but they drop you off at the steepest part so you still have to climb it.. depending what level you are on also dictates how many more stairs to climb. the pool in the room is incredible... a full pool its 5 feet deep at its deepest point and lights up various colors at night so does the jacuzzi tub and its incredible.. very relaxing.. we spent half of our time just reading and resting in our room which i mean wasnt so bad we were on our honeymoon.. but i wouldnt suggest this place if you wanted to go out and do alot of stuff... we were at ladera resort 1st same concept 1/4 of the price and more cozy i thought (if it didnt close for the month i would have gone back).. the brick walls at jade made the place feel a little cold.. the views AMAZING . the furnishings were 1st class (we got a tour of a few other rooms and the highest price room at $2400 a night- very nice.. huge but io wouldnt pay it). The staff some better then others... most did a great job but some made you feel like you were bothering them when you made the walk out to their office to ask a question because there isnt too many other ways to get ahold of anyone.. you hang a bag on the door for roomservice where the invisible people take it away ( i swear i never saw them ) over all i mean we had a great time but when we had to pay at the end of the trip.. it seemed like alot of money for what we did (which was nothing) and compared to the 1st resort we stayed at where we did alot it was 3/4 more of the price.. if you have the money to spend and you want a secluded trip away.. i would recomend it.. if you are active and want to see and do things ... then not so much.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SabrieC54
Reviewed September 2, 2007

We picked this hotel because we wanted our honeymoon to be memorable, and it was. The views from Jade Mountain are unbelievable. Our room was one of the smallest rooms, and it was more than we imagined. It was beautiful. The hotel still wasn't completely done, but it is just cosmetic stuff like tiles and landscaping. We heard they are working on a 5 story waterfall also. It was very peaceful at night and early morning. The only time we saw other people was when we were dining. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The service at the all the restaurants was very slow though. So make sure you aren't in a hurry to leave for any excursions before you eat. The walk to the beach and back was difficult, we could only stand to do it once a day so you may want to take the shuttle. We were able to go into another room that was empty when they were cleaning it and it was just as incredible as ours. The wood in the rooms is amazing. All the fixtures in each room are completely different from the next. We can not wait to return in a couple of years.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank scnewlyweds
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet
Stonefield Villa Resort
Stonefield Villa Resort
#6 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Jade Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!