I miss my St. Lucia gem already!
I traveled alone and stayed at Fond Doux for a week on an all inclusive vacation.
The plantation is magical, so lush and full of tropical flowers and trees, cocoa trees were everywhere. Definitely try the plantation tour, it will be a fun lesson in botany and at the end of it you are taken on a trail at the top of the property with majestic views of Petite Piton. Overall the place is quiet, and relaxing, without TVs, eco plantation totally in tune with nature yet designed to pamper you.
ACCOMODATIONS: All of the cottages are stunning. Cute and comfy, and with no AC. Bring your own pillow if you are bothered by a somewhat scrunchy plastic wrap inside the pillows, no doubt to prevent them from humidity damage. I stayed in African Tulip cottage for six nights and honeymoon Hilltop Papaya for one night. I definitely reccomend hilltop cottages because of the views, and they have a private pool and a beautiful outdoor shower also completely private. The hilltop cottages also have built in electricity converters so you don't have to worry about charging your electronics. For the African Tulip cottage I got the converter from the reception and it worked fine. African Tulip had a hammock on the porch which I loved, it was wonderfully relaxing laying in the hammock and watching hummingbirds, which are everywhere. The plantation is eco friendly and organic and I was happy to support a place like that and would come back again.
STAFF: absolutely amazing service! I felt nurtured and taken care of by lovely ladies, Leolita and Vinnie being my favorite. They knew me by name and helped me with everything I needed. I asked them if it's just staff at the plantation or if everybody is nice in St. Lucia and they said "It's a St. Lucian thing." And it's true, traveling alone and being a woman I felt very safe, nurtured and welcomed in St. Lucia
BEACHES: you will need transportation. Hotel provides a complimentary shuttle to Sugar Beach at 10 AM and they pick you up at 4, all other times it's a $30 round trip. Sugar Beach was pretty but nowhere near as nice as Anse Chastanet, which had super clear emerald waters, natural black silver volcanic sand, and the nicest kindest staff even if you are not staying at Anse Chastanet resort they still treat you like loving family. (Sugar Beach wasn't that nice). You can take a water taxi from Sugar Beach to Anse Chastanet for $20 round trip. So Answ Mimin is a short 10 min walk from Anse Chastanet and you will basically have the whole beach for yourself if you want privacy. Anse Mimin also makes a great spot for lunch, the best burgers in St. Lucia. Snorkeling is a must at Anse Chastanet, I saw an amazing indigo fish with electric blue dots on it. They call it a parrot fish.
MEALS: Since I'm a beach lover I probably shouldn't have gotten all inclusive meal package as I spent lunch at the beach and it's costly to travel back to Fond Doux for lunch (it's not complimentary). For dinner catch of the day was always good. The ground provisions come straight from the plantation so I loved that. I got to try new root vegetables I've never tried before, like purple potato. I didn't like bbq ribs because they were mostly gristle and not much meat. So I reccomend catch of the day mostly or salads. Breakfast is a buffet of local bakes, salty fish, and fruit. Ask for eggs at breakfast as they are not on the buffet but the staff is always happy to cook you eggs to order which was so nice.
DRINKS: The bar makes wonderful frozen drinks and rum punch. My favorite is Cocoa Fond Doux without grenadine (tell them no grenadine) and it tastes like perfect chocolate smoothie. Ladies you will love it! Oh and for breakfast you must try cocoa tea, local specialty.
TRAILS: Tet Paul Nature trail is close to the property. You can walk there in about 30 mins and then the $5 guided tour is magnificent, slow paced with gorgeous views of the Pitons and a lesson in bottany. I loved seeing pineapple and papaya grow.
VOLCANO: The volcano is nearby, the worlds only drive through volcano and a fun mud bath ( supposed to make you feel 10 years younger ), and you must check out The Piton Warm Waterfall. Both places are a short taxi ride from the plantation.
TRANSPORTATION: I don't revommend driving. The roads are narrow in many places wide enough for one car, curvy roads with no guard railing and steep dropp off into the forest or the ocean, and they drive on the left side of the road. They have very affordable (a few bucks) and safe BUS transportation between Castries and Soufreire. I liked hiring a taxi driver outside the plantation as it was about the same as renting a car, but safer, and cheaper than hotel transportation.
This was a perfect relaxing vacation. I'll come back again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort is a 19th century eco-friendly colonial resort nestled in the heart of St. Lucia, best known for romantic, intimate, and private luxury cottages. The resort is situated amidst a 250 year old working plantation and features an assortment of 15 uniquely crafted cottages, two on-site restaurants, and a collage of outdoor swimming pools, as well as an organic spa. The resort is a scenic 45 minute drive from the island's international airport. As a guest of Fond Doux, you will be conveniently located just minutes away from St. Lucia's main attractions, including The Pitons, The Sulphur Springs - 'The Caribbean's only drive in volcano' - and the best diving sites on the island, all within a prestigious UNESCO World Heritage Site. Whether you're traveling for business, a romantic honeymoon or wedding escape, or for a fun-filled family vacation, Fond Doux Plantation & Resort offers the perfect ambiance in St. Lucia for all travel types. A mere glance out your cottage door will evoke both tranquillity and a journey into the land of adventure! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your Fond Doux Plantation & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fond Doux Holiday Plantation Hotel
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere